Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Awe View Post
    Oh dear lord, no. Damage meters eventually destroyed WoW for me. God please dont put that *** in any other game! It is cool to compete from time to time but after a while it gets tiring. And it has nothing to do with how much I suck or something. On the contrary. If I would suck I would probably not care. But I did care. Always had to be 1st on the meters, always felt that I will be somehow inferior if some other person will do better dps. At some point it becomes crazy. You stop thinking about fun, lore, playing with friends. All that matters is the size of your e-peen bar. Stuff like that should not belong in PvE gaming. Wanna compete, go do PvP. All damage meters in PvE content in any game should GDIAF.
    That is your problem not a problem with the tool.
    Hi Sephurik

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Volitar View Post
    Combat logs analysis via WOL and to a lesser extent recount is good. I don't know about you guys but I would feel uncomfortable not knowing how effective or ineffective I am playing. Stupid people miss use the tool and are just that, stupid.
    In diablo, you have an inbuilt tool showing you if you are playing efficiently. It's called "inferno bosses smashing your face in".

Keep shit like recount out of diablo
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Volitar View Post
    That is your problem not a problem with the tool.
    Except the fact tha meters produces ***loads of people with similar approach to mine. "Do good on Recount or else you are worthless". The difference is that I know how detrimental that is to overall enjoyment and I am ashamed that I do "view" things that way. Meanwhile lots of people are perfectly fine with that. Some leet kids will call you an idiot or a mental retard just becouse your Recount bar is short. I was once a huge meters whore. It takes a while to realize how pathetic that is. The tool is the problem becouse it creates a social issue.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulturia View Post
    So let's say you are playing with a friend, who does everything on a level similar to you (support, avoiding, etc) but does twice as much damage. Something like Recount would show you that. If you are against Recount, you are completely okay with this happening and you being carried. Noone would know and you would keep "smashing monsters" and "collecting shinies" while keeping the other guy from doing the same on a much higher level that he can handle.

It is really funny to see all the people who are against meters in any form because someone hurt their "enjoyment of the game" by telling them they sucked. And of course they blamed the meters - it takes MUCH less effort than actually trying to find people who had the same mindset as they had and banding together. Though I guess playing with other "enjoyers" would have led to endless fails and was therefore discarded as an option - better force yourself on people who cannot see that you are sucking!

The only good reason for not having meters in D3 is that it is a lot more obvious who does how much damage, especially if everyone is willing to cooperate and test stuff. And they should, you are playing with friends after all...
    what does the amount of DPS have to do with success? the only mode where a meter would be used would be Inferno and by all accounts if things are dying then you are succeeding. Or is the arcane mage blowing all his CDs in a 5 man carrying you? In Diablo 3 if mobs are dying and dying fast to make ur loot runs efficient you already have your barometer. Also endgame Diablo differs from WoW in that you can solo it and in that environment you don't need a meter to tell a player he "sucks" - the dying and hefty repair bills will tell them that. Why on earth would you need a meter to tell you what is shown on the screen unless is to was compare bigger numbers? At least without meters devs can concentrate on making sure each class is able to solo Inferno mode without having to go through balancing classes within some margin of damage or such. If your playing with a friend and feel like your "carrying" you don't need a meter to not group up them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by madrox View Post
    what does the amount of DPS have to do with success? the only mode where a meter would be used would be Inferno and by all accounts if things are dying then you are succeeding. Or is the arcane mage blowing all his CDs in a 5 man carrying you? In Diablo 3 if mobs are dying and dying fast to make ur loot runs efficient you already have your barometer. Also endgame Diablo differs from WoW in that you can solo it and in that environment you don't need a meter to tell a player he "sucks" - the dying and hefty repair bills will tell them that. Why on earth would you need a meter to tell you what is shown on the screen unless is to was compare bigger numbers? At least without meters devs can concentrate on making sure each class is able to solo Inferno mode without having to go through balancing classes within some margin of damage or such. If your playing with a friend and feel like your "carrying" you don't need a meter to not group up them.
    If you do more DPS you will start dying later on in the game. Very simple. Also, "feel" is not the same as "know based on available data (which is not just dps)".
    Players will no longer randomly suffer falling damage.

if there was a vote on blizz forums asking their customers whether we want dps meter in d3 or not, i'd vote "no".
    you'll be able to spot idiots right away and leave the group or kick him/her even without millions of addons like in wow.
    the way i feel about dps in d3 is: it's like pvp in wow, you don't care about dps, you care about burst, speed, survivability.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    You don't have enrage timers and DPS races
    Well, actually some bosses do have enrage timers. But it's not a "I Win" button for bosses, it will just get harder.

http://www.diablofans.com/news/1193-...nch-questions/
    I registered on MMO-Champion, and all I got was this lousy signature...

Deleted
    If you do more DPS you will start dying later on in the game. Very simple. Also, "feel" is not the same as "know based on available data (which is not just dps)".
    Which doesn't get around the fact if you are dying then you know you are not doing something right. Without the need of meters. And giving players ready access to "available data" gives rise to problems of having to balance classes with a margin of each other no matter if every class is perfectly capable of clearing Inferno on solo. Meters are a great tool in WoW where everything endgame is team based and bosses have hard enrage timers to make sure each player is at least putting out a minimum number of output. Diablo 3 does not work that way and meters add nothing that thinking to yourself "Oh, I keep dying here, I best up my game a bit or GTFO" wouldn't fix. All Diablo 3 has to do is make sure each class can clear Inferno so if players can't progress they know what's at fault-them. No meters needed. Diablo 3 isn't a game where DPS stand in a stationary spot working through a priority rotation and only moving when the big bad mark on the ground tells them to move.
    Last edited by mmoc6765cb3ae1; 2012-05-07 at 12:24 PM.

Would be nice to have, purely for analysis of my hero on Inferno. But demand for this feature is quite low and it's quite controversial, so it's like 1% chance Blizzard will do it.

Disclaimer:
    I don't want to blame your low dps using this. I want to improve my dps using this. Actually, i'm not even going to play with randoms. Friends and solo only. So shut up if you fear your e-peen will be hurt.

And yeah, enrages gonna happen.
    Feral dps :3
    Bring back ArP rating!

10+ Year Old Account
    Which doesn't get around the fact if you are dying then you know you are not doing something right. Without the need of meters. And giving players ready access to "available data" gives rise to problems of having to balance classes with a margin of each other no matter if every class is perfectly capable of clearing Inferno on solo. Meters are a great tool in WoW where everything endgame is team based and bosses have hard enrage timers to make sure each player is at least putting out a minimum number of output. Diablo 3 does not work that way and meters add nothing that thinking to yourself "Oh, I keep dying here, I best up my game a bit or GTFO" wouldn't fix. All Diablo 3 has to do is make sure each class can clear Inferno so if players can't progress they know what's at fault-them. No meters needed. Diablo 3 isn't a game where DPS stand in a stationary spot working through a priority rotation and only moving when the big bad mark on the ground tells them to move.
    Firstly, they already need to balance the classes very well. If the classes are improperly balanced, Inferno will be much easier to do with the top class than the bottom one, which ruins the whole point of it.
    Secondly, D3 is a team game. Some people will never solo Inferno at all, I know I won't, that's not what I bought the game for. Besides, failing at group play and failing at solo play are not entirely similar, you can't completely judge a player's skill by his solo progress.

I never said you can't judge performance without meters. You can. But it's easier with meters. I also don't think they will ever be implemented in D3. But I think it would be nice if they were.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelfie View Post
    Well, actually some bosses do have enrage timers. But it's not a "I Win" button for bosses, it will just get harder.

http://www.diablofans.com/news/1193-...nch-questions/
    That's very new information compared to when this thread was originally discussed - this thread is half a year old now =p

Deleted
    Firstly, they already need to balance the classes very well. If the classes are improperly balanced, Inferno will be much easier to do with the top class than the bottom one, which ruins the whole point of it.
    Secondly, D3 is a team game. Some people will never solo Inferno at all, I know I won't, that's not what I bought the game for. Besides, failing at group play and failing at solo play are not entirely similar, you can't completely judge a player's skill by his solo progress.

I never said you can't judge performance without meters. You can. But it's easier with meters. I also don't think they will ever be implemented in D3. But I think it would be nice if they were.
    Meters would be awful in Diablo 3 because it would be like guy showing off his top damage done in a WSG not realising everyone's elses is lower because they had half a clue to CC the healer. You don't need a meter to maximise throughput in a particular area to succeed in Diablo games, you need to play well and the game tells you when you are not doing that without meters. Meters would bring a herd of Witch Doctors standing still to spam their AoE nuke to cheese the meters.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not saying recount is entirely good, but sometimes you can use it to tell that someone in your team is completly useless, doing 5% of your damage and basically following rest of group without even attacking things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Meters would bring a herd of Witch Doctors standing still to spam their AoE nuke to cheese the meters.
    Axes would bring a herd of people killing each other with them. In the interest of preserving life, let us ban axes.

I felt I had to make that argument, although if you honestly haven't seen both sides of the extremely old "meters suck" debate you haven't been around long.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Youarefired View Post
    That world of logs website already needs to go to hell. Who cares about your dps, hps, tps and whateverPS.

Bringing this stupid addon into an awesome game would just bring the annoying players from WoW as well.

Diablo is about DESTRUCTION! Not "WAHHH DPS! REALMFIRSTOMG!"
    I care a lot about it, because I want to maximize my performance and make sure I'm helping my guild out during raids as much as I can.

You have to realise that DPS meters, just like many other things can be used for good and for bad. An example of good usage would be to become as good in the game as possible(for those who want that, of course). Example of bad usage would be bragging about your DPS.

There's nothing wrong with the tool itself, what's wrong is how people use it for the wrong means.
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

Quote Originally Posted by Fuger View Post
    So pressing 6 buttons at the right time is math now? Most of the buttons even glow and should "Pick me" when you are supposed to use them now.

Only way to get low DPS in dungeons is to just sit their with a thumb up you butt.
    That isnt the point...the fact is that people like to kick you for doing anything besides the 100% optimal rotation...It sucks...no variety...I like to actually customize my character instead of being almost FORCED to do the cookie-cutter thing...If you had no recount and no way to tell exactly how well rotations did you wouldn't have this issue...thats what i loved about diablo 2 over WoW is that i could just play and didnt have to look up the optimal build or what not...just actually customizing my character to my liking...in WoW it only gives the illusion that you can customize your character...You entirely missed the point...Theroycrafting sucks...now a days people think that everything is just statistics...
    Last edited by EntertainmentNihilist; 2012-05-07 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Ninja

In all honesty I wouldn't mind a recount for D3 just for the curiosity of seeing my dps lol, But it isn't going to happen. In Wow you have to watch your positioning and mechanics ect... where as diablo you just kinda go left or right to get out of the way of attacks alot easier than WoW, an dmost fights are tank n spank move out of bad stuff type fights not any real mechanics which is nice tbh lol.

To all you guys who are saying I "necro'd" this thread (whatever the hell that means), who cares? I had an opinion and that's what this thread is about.

I hate world of logs, get over it. I don't use it and I am still the top dps in my raid group. Know why?

It's because I know how to play the game!
    "It's clear this is another bash Apple thread. Such things are not conducive to a good discussion."

WRONG! Those are the BEST discussions!

Quote Originally Posted by Youarefired View Post
    To all you guys who are saying I "necro'd" this thread (whatever the hell that means), who cares? I had an opinion and that's what this thread is about.
    You brought a thread half a year old back to the front of the forum listing. Not only that, it was a crappy thread to begin with, and your opinion wasn't exactly enlightening.

If you'd like I can start a thread called "things that piss me off" and you can go post in that all day.

No desire for add-ons for this game. I just don't see the need.