Jesse McCree - Diablo IV Lead Designer No Longer with Blizzard
Jesse McCree, one of the names brought up in one of the stories surrounding the recent lawsuits, is no longer working for Activision Blizzard according to Kotaku. A spokesperson confirmed that Jesse McCree, Luis Barriga, and Jonathan LeCraft are all no longer with the company. For more information, click the banner below.



Blizzard Removes Diablo II Resurrected TCP/IP Multiplayer Support
Blizzard has silently removed TCP/IP multiplayer support in Diablo II Resurrected, going against its promise earlier that it will be a core feature in the remaster.
Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker)
TCP/IP support will not be available in the upcoming Beta or the final game. After careful deliberation, we will no longer be supporting this option as we identified potential security risks and are committed to safeguarding the player experience.



Diablo II: Resurrected Act I & II Remastered Cinematics
Blizzard has released remastered cinematics of Act I and Act II for the upcoming Diablo II Resurrected.



This article was originally published in forum thread: Jesse McCree Leaves Blizzard, Diablo II: Resurrected TCP/IP Multiplayer Support started by Stoy View original post
Comments 298 Comments
  1. arandomuser's Avatar
    can someone explain what tcp/ip is and why the resuming comments will most likely be mad at blizzard for removing it
  1. Peacemoon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by arandomuser View Post
    can someone explain what tcp/ip is and why the resuming comments will most likely be mad at blizzard for removing it
    I think it’s when you connect directly from computer to computer. It was a bigger thing back in D2 era of gaming
  1. Greevir's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by arandomuser View Post
    can someone explain what tcp/ip is and why the resuming comments will most likely be mad at blizzard for removing it
    Allow you to connect to other players in the game directly. With this change you will be required to go through Battle.Net.
  1. Queen of Hamsters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peacemoon View Post
    I think it’s when you connect directly from computer to computer. It was a bigger thing back in D2 era of gaming
    Oh, one learns something new everyday. o.o

    I wonder why that would be a security issue anymore than online aspects though.
  1. Silvertaurus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by arandomuser View Post
    can someone explain what tcp/ip is and why the resuming comments will most likely be mad at blizzard for removing it
    Without technicalities.
    It's way to directly play with a friend on local network (LAN) or through internet, without Battle.net or any other Blizzard service. Just direct play with someone else.
    It's often used on tournaments (to not be reliable on Blizzard network lags), modding (modified clients to play togather) and, can't deny, often used by pirated versions of game.
  1. Sugarcube's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by arandomuser View Post
    can someone explain what tcp/ip is and why the resuming comments will most likely be mad at blizzard for removing it
    because you will have to rely on blizzard's servers to play multiplayer with friends... if their servers go down, you can't play... also with tcp/ip you could still play with people in your household even if your internet is down...

    the characters used in tcp/ip are your local characters that you can play in single player too...
  1. wonkey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by arandomuser View Post
    can someone explain what tcp/ip is and why the resuming comments will most likely be mad at blizzard for removing it
    As others have said it allowed you to play online with friends without needing to log in to battle net. One player hosts the game and gives their IP address to friends and they can join said game. Because the game is hosted on a single computer it allowed people to create and use bot programs spoof items etc.

    But, to Blizzards point. There are real security risks today that were not really prevalent 20 years ago. The person hosting the game has their IP address exposed to the entire internet on a specific network port. Tools today make it simple for someone malicious to easily scan for computers with that port open and connect to it to do harm in some way. So i understand them removing it.
  1. Sugarcube's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wonkey View Post
    As others have said it allowed you to play online with friends without needing to log in to battle net. One player hosts the game and gives their IP address to friends and they can join said game. Because the game is hosted on a single computer it allowed people to create and use bot programs spoof items etc.

    But, to Blizzards point. There are real security risks today that were not really prevalent 20 years ago. The person hosting the game has their IP address exposed to the entire internet on a specific network port. Tools today make it simple for someone malicious to easily scan for computers with that port open and connect to it to do harm in some way. So i understand them removing it.
    lol... i've had the ports open for hosting a minecraft server for years without anything happening... it's not as simple as having port open and they can do harm...
  1. BlimeyLimey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarcube View Post
    lol... i've had the ports open for hosting a minecraft server for years without anything happening... it's not as simple as having port open and they can do harm...
    it's more about people getting a hold of an IP address can lead to things like doxxing, ddosing, etc.

    no one cares about your little minecraft server. other people, like streamers, care about safeguarding their information.
  1. Exkrementor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by arandomuser View Post
    can someone explain what tcp/ip is and why the resuming comments will most likely be mad at blizzard for removing it
    A long time ago people needed to be in the same room or at least building to play multiplayer games via a switch or router with no need for a internet connection. You can replicate things like this with various programs through the internet and basically cut out the need for dedicated servers. Servers like the Battle.net authentication server. Its nice when the Blizzard servers are fuckep up again and you cannot play your game even in offline mode. But local multiplayer is mostly used for sketchy stuff that is not permitted on official servers like mods, cheats, dupes and so on.
  1. THEORACLE64's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarcube View Post
    lol... i've had the ports open for hosting a minecraft server for years without anything happening... it's not as simple as having port open and they can do harm...
    Just because it hasn’t happened to you it doesn’t mean that it won’t/wouldn’t happen to others.

    It’s not really needed these days. Obviously LAN parties were a huge thing with the rise of PC gaming, and not to say they don’t exist anymore, but battle net is there and exists and is needed to play it anyway. It would be a pretty pointless feature.
  1. Sugarcube's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlimeyLimey View Post
    other people, like streamers, care about safeguarding their information.
    then they could just not use tcp/ip and give people the ip...
  1. Orby's Avatar
    Shame we wont get modders, now we're stuck with that ugly ass Amazon face
  1. Sugarcube's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Exkrementor View Post
    But local multiplayer is mostly used for sketchy stuff that is not permitted on official servers like mods, cheats, dupes and so on.
    sketchy stuff... lol... eastern sun mod isn't sketchy stuff...
  1. dizzzave's Avatar
    TCP/IP connections let you play the game without going through battle.net which means its easier to pirate and still play online.

    There is zero real impact to people who aren't hacking, aren't pirating, or otherwise modifying the game.
  1. Sugarcube's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzzave View Post
    There is zero real impact to people who aren't hacking, aren't pirating, or otherwise modifying the game.
    lol... that's a lie... i played it with a friend when my internet was down for maintenance... only possible thanks to tcp/ip...
  1. alayerlp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by arandomuser View Post
    can someone explain what tcp/ip is and why the resuming comments will most likely be mad at blizzard for removing it
    means no offline, you wont be able to create lobbies to play with your friends
  1. Berndorf's Avatar
    Anyone named in the lawsuit and many more will be getting the axe or told they can resign first. Bliz tried to sweep it under the rug but now they have to go full scorched earth.
  1. Shinagami091's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greevir View Post
    Allow you to connect to other players in the game directly. With this change you will be required to go through Battle.Net.
    Which leads me to believe they’re doing this to combat item duping. Wonder if they’re making it so items are generated from the server side instead of the client.
  1. Aphelios's Avatar
    So much for hacking D2.

Site Navigation