Patch 9.2.5 - New Report UI and Character Report Options
Patch 9.2.5 brings a new Report UI where players can provide additional details when reporting characters in-game.

Trade Chat Character Report Options
  • Inappropriate Communication
    • Text-Chat
    • Spam
    • Advertisement
    • Boosting/Deranking
  • Inappropriate Name
    • Character Name
    • Battle Tag
    • Group Name

Premade Groups Character Report Options
  • Inappropriate Communication
    • Advertisement
    • Description
  • Inappropriate Name
    • Group Name
    • Character Name

This article was originally published in forum thread: Patch 9.2.5 - New Report UI and Character Report Options started by Lumy View original post
Comments 73 Comments
  1. panda040's Avatar
    I think it's actually a bad idea, reporting should be something you have to go to the website, type and submit. This would result in fewer reports submitted, but those submitted would be real and more serious, rather than people spam reporting for anything they don't like.
  1. Aydinx2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by panda040 View Post
    I think it's actually a bad idea, reporting should be something you have to go to the website, type and submit. This would result in fewer reports submitted, but those submitted would be real and more serious, rather than people spam reporting for anything they don't like.
    This sounds logical at first glance, but what about the alternative?
    "The barrier of having to go to the website prevents people from reporting things that deserve reporting, because they can more easily just ignore it".

    Sure people would report racism or griefing anyways, but equally valid reports like spamming or advertising would just get ignored by the player because they can't be bothered to go to a website.

    Also, having to make a screenshot and manually record names/descriptions is tedious. If the reporting is done directly in the game then the player can just click "report" and the game will attach that data to the report for you. And the game can automatically ignore that person for you.

    Yeah a downside of all this is that there are going to be more "rage" reports, but I think the alternative, fewer genuine reports, is worse.
  1. Celement's Avatar
    Finally a report option for people bricking keys
  1. NoiseTank13's Avatar
    "Intentionally feeding" is this a Mythic thing? I can't remember if theres a ticket system in a PvP instance.
  1. LordVargK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    Cheating and gameplay sabotage are crossed.

    It is not cheating to AFK, it is sabotage. Just like botting is not sabotage but actually cheating.
    That's already adressed in the post:

    Quote Originally Posted by Lumy View Post
    Note: The details for "Gameplay Sabotage" and "Cheating" are currently switched on the PTR and will most likely be fixed in a future PTR build.
  1. Speedlance's Avatar
    All the sensitivity turned people away from wow and now they made it worse.
  1. panda040's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2 View Post
    This sounds logical at first glance, but what about the alternative?
    "The barrier of having to go to the website prevents people from reporting things that deserve reporting, because they can more easily just ignore it".

    Sure people would report racism or griefing anyways, but equally valid reports like spamming or advertising would just get ignored by the player because they can't be bothered to go to a website.

    Also, having to make a screenshot and manually record names/descriptions is tedious. If the reporting is done directly in the game then the player can just click "report" and the game will attach that data to the report for you. And the game can automatically ignore that person for you.

    Yeah a downside of all this is that there are going to be more "rage" reports, but I think the alternative, fewer genuine reports, is worse.
    I think this is fair, maybe some kind of medium ground. You'd have to type out a report and submit, but it could all be in game. At least a bit harder than "im mad at this guy, right click report, done."
  1. Kralljin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mendzia View Post
    Now i really hope it will be moderated properly by them and we won't see it being abused 99% of the time.
    The reality is that this tool is likely supposed to make automated action easier, not to make manual moderation easier.
  1. Firefall's Avatar
    I can't possibly see "intentionally feeding" being misused! You know because melee in battle grounds who are active are always going to have a high death count. Can't possibly be a problem or have an automatic system to ban high contributing players, nope! Great work again by blizzard.
  1. Unholyground's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by saixilein View Post
    Its funny that they work on BS like that instead of improving the lfg tool haha. Like "Show me Dungeon x on keylevel y with a free slot for role z" or "just show me healers that looking for a dps for 2s arena"

    Their priorities are ao wrong.

    The team that works on these patches is not the same team developing the core of the game, once an expansion launches and is more stable the teams change priorities.
  1. C20's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by panda040 View Post
    I think it's actually a bad idea, reporting should be something you have to go to the website, type and submit. This would result in fewer reports submitted, but those submitted would be real and more serious, rather than people spam reporting for anything they don't like.
    This would be terrible for UX (user experience). A user would have to:

    - Remember the player name
    - Remember the realm name
    - Remember the time of the incident
    - Remember the specifics of the incident
    - Remember exactly where in the website they need to go to, and sign in to their account

    If I had to go through that process, my mindset would simply be "You know something - I'm not paid for this, so fuck it, it's not worth the time out of game". You're also assuming that people have easy access to every keyboard character. Cyrillic (used on Russian realms) is often not easy to type or remember for non-native speakers and with some custom addon fonts, those characters might not even show up. Accented names are difficult to remember.

    So, even after all this effort, there's no guarantee that the data is accurate. Accurate data is quick to action - you can match against real events and players. Inaccurate data takes much longer to realise, because you can't just assume that the user meant to type "Someplayèr" instead of "Someplayer" - both those names could be valid, but only one of them could be an offender.

    Also, if I really hated someone, I could just report them via the website, even if I'd never encountered them in game. Someone decided to send me a guild invite spam whisper 2 years ago? Fuck it, report 'em via the website even though it's no longer relevant.

    What about names like "Illilliilli" - am I supposed to remember how many 'I' and 'L' were in the name, and in what order?

    Sorry, but no - requiring reporting via an external source is a real bad idea.

    The IT industry (which is what this would be classified under) is big on automating and removing barriers. Automate as much relevant data collection as possible, and give the user some limited input if relevant. No more trawling through logs to find something very specific, when you have e.g. a chat message ID, timestamp, offenders name, etc.
  1. saixilein's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    The team that works on these patches is not the same team developing the core of the game, once an expansion launches and is more stable the teams change priorities.
    This isnt an excuse. LFG tool is implemented for years now and all improvements takes way to long time with way to small baby steps.

    So you mean i can be happy to see a GOOD lfg tool in 12.0?
  1. Low Hanging Fruit's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scroolooseuk View Post
    Sorry for noob question but what exactly does Deranking involve?
    Basically when they are boosting PVP people up their rating goes up to. So when they are done with person x they want to be low again so when they are boosting person y they don't get rating hawked as fast. The lower levels are easier per say. So like 3 boosters will make a team and just purposely tank losses over and over to screw their rating in the process. Thus making them ready to boost again.
  1. Unholyground's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by saixilein View Post
    This isnt an excuse. LFG tool is implemented for years now and all improvements takes way to long time with way to small baby steps.

    So you mean i can be happy to see a GOOD lfg tool in 12.0?
    Not saying it is an excuse but everyone still playing the game is part of the problem, paying Blizzard money to play this game is hurting it. If people took a long enough break and the numbers dwindled they would take larger actions to improve the game. Continuing to pay for a service even after complaining about it is why they don't make changes.
  1. arkanon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    Not saying it is an excuse but everyone still playing the game is part of the problem, paying Blizzard money to play this game is hurting it. If people took a long enough break and the numbers dwindled they would take larger actions to improve the game. Continuing to pay for a service even after complaining about it is why they don't make changes.
    Partly true, but you need to remember, even though their MAU's are in freefall, their profits are not. That pretty clearly shows that although less people are playing, the ones remaining are spending more and more money in game. I dont think Blizzard care if 200k people play or 2m, so long as the 200k are spending money.

    Just a few months ago someone on this forum said they would continue to pay their sub even though they no longer play, and will buy the next expansion regardless of what is in it - because they have loved the product so much over the years they will continue to "support" it no matter what, even though they no longer play.
  1. Progenitor Aquarius's Avatar
    I don’t get those. I guess that’s a bit too extreme reporting someone who just had to leave keyboard for a while, or someone who has low damage on the meters.

    AFK/Non-Participation
    Intentionally Feeding
    Blocking Team Progress
  1. RobertMugabe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by saixilein View Post
    Its funny that they work on BS like that instead of improving the lfg tool haha. Like "Show me Dungeon x on keylevel y with a free slot for role z" or "just show me healers that looking for a dps for 2s arena"

    Their priorities are ao wrong.
    I am not exactly sure how Blizzard works internally, but I imagine it's not much different than it is in a large software company. There's probably hundreds of people working on WoW, split between several departments and many teams with and then each team has project managers, business analysts, devs, artists etc.

    Some teams will be involved with the backend, some teams with zone design, quests etc, some with dungeons and then you may have one team or even just one project manager that does stuff like this.

    My point here is: Not all employees are employed for the same thing and do the same stuff, they are all employed for different reasons and do different things. This has nothing to do with priorities. It's possible the person they hired for the UI stuff like this is totally unqualified to write quest text or script a raid boss and vice versa.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudmaker View Post
    I don’t get those. I guess that’s a bit too extreme reporting someone who just had to leave keyboard for a while, or someone who has low damage on the meters.

    AFK/Non-Participation
    Intentionally Feeding
    Blocking Team Progress
    Those 3 are clearly meant for PVP. They haven't changed their rules yet, so I doubt this affects raiding and whatnot.
  1. Unholyground's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    Partly true, but you need to remember, even though their MAU's are in freefall, their profits are not. That pretty clearly shows that although less people are playing, the ones remaining are spending more and more money in game. I dont think Blizzard care if 200k people play or 2m, so long as the 200k are spending money.

    Just a few months ago someone on this forum said they would continue to pay their sub even though they no longer play, and will buy the next expansion regardless of what is in it - because they have loved the product so much over the years they will continue to "support" it no matter what, even though they no longer play.
    They are fools then lmao.
  1. JSoup's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertMugabe View Post
    Those 3 are clearly meant for PVP. They haven't changed their rules yet, so I doubt this affects raiding and whatnot.
    And they seemed more geared towards rated PvP at that. Stalling, feeding and turtling are all common in queueable battlegrounds. People are less there for rating/conquest, more there for honor/leveling, so it's less of an issue.
  1. zhorteye's Avatar
    Now comes my question, is leaving a key just because of one wipe or because the key wont get timed (therefor purposefully griefing the group for loot/deranking the key) a part of the "boosting/deranking" report function? cause if not, they still need to make a report function for this... Cause people (ESPECIALLY TANKS) nowadays have a tendency to just leave the m+ group as soon as things goes south, even if its their fault its going bad... Finishing a non-timed key can still give someone a good piece of loot.. and that loot alone might be why they are there, and getting that piece, could be the one thing that makes their day..

Site Navigation