WoW Boosting Communities Deleted from Discord
Today, several months after the Policy Update for Organized In-Game Services, a few boosting communities in Europe got their discord server deleted.

Servers affected by this include Dawn, Nova, Oblivion, Sylvanas and Twilight. The owners of these servers also had their Discord account suspended and received the following message: "Your account participated in selling, promoting, or distributing cheats, hacks, or cracked accounts."

According to multiple sources, this is not a mass report on the discord servers. This is more likely a follow-up from Blizzard's risk team since communities simply ignored the new policy update from January and continued to offer escrow services.


Remote FollowUnit Script to be Disabled in Dragonflight and Wrath Classic
Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
So, Blizzard has recently issued heavy-handed anti-boosting measures. However, addons are still able to accept a remote /follow command from another player. This makes boosting services more attractive as boostees can then be fully AFK for a very long time. This is (or was) a common practice for boosting on Faerlina.

How this looks in practice: A booster advertises that they are doing slave pens boosts, and that they have the auto-follow weakaura. 1-4 boostees join, and then the booster shares a weakaura with them that will accept a remote /follow command. Now after they pay the booster they can just go AFK for 30 minutes, since the booster can just type a command in party chat and the boostee characters will automatically follow the booster out of an old instance ID and into a fresh one without them even being at the keyboard.

If the above doesn’t give you an idea of what this would look like, just look at the first 10 seconds of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6voUtTiLz0

I don’t see how the ability to remotely issue a /follow command meaningfully benefits anyone except multiboxers and people selling a service that allows someone to AFK for exp/gear, and Blizzard have now shown that they don’t really appreciate either of these gameplay styles, so I’m wondering why it’s still in the game. While boosting has taken a heavy hit, there do appear to be some boosting options still available albeit not as accessible as before, so in my mind it makes sense to make whatever’s left as inconvenient as possible.


I reached out to our UI and accessibility teams and we’re investigating this.

In general, we agree that accessibility is important, but that doesn’t mean that every effort to stop automation or botting is an attack on accessibility. There are lots of game functions that the game requires a hardware event for, and it makes sense for /follow to be added to that list, based on the behavior Kruffzz suggested. We’re targeting that change for both Wrath of the Lich King Classic, and Dragonflight releases.

Before making decisions like this, we reach out to gamers with disabilities. To be clear, the change we’re planning will still allow a disabled player to follow a guide, including through the use of a Macro or UI Mod to issue the follow command. The behavior it prevents is for UI Mods to initiate a follow on their own based on receiving a message from another source, such as a message from another player.

Thanks for the suggestion, Kruffzz!
This article was originally published in forum thread: Boosting Communities Deleted from Discord, Remote FollowUnit Script to be Disabled started by Lumy View original post
Comments 250 Comments
  1. Motorman's Avatar
    I dont think they managed anything important as boosters will find a way to remake the groups and advertize their services.

    The important news is that blizzard paid? a third party to interfere with what is basically private business conducted at the third party's territory without there being a breach of the rules of the third party and/or any laws. Some very interesting legal issues there if someone wished to pursue it and discord is definitely in the wrong in this one regardless if they got paid or not.
  1. Somic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chaoticcrono View Post
    link the specific rule that was broken. also last i checked the current Co-Leader of Blizzard Mike Ybarra sells boosts.
    This may come to a shock to you, but people on these discords sell boosts for actual money. I know it’s shocking so I understand if you need a minute.
  1. chaoticcrono's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Somic View Post
    This may come to a shock to you, but people on these discords sell boosts for actual money. I know it’s shocking so I understand if you need a minute.
    so does blizzard, whats your point? blizz sells gold and the co lead sells boosts.
  1. Funkyjunky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chaoticcrono View Post
    link the specific rule that was broken. also last i checked the current Co-Leader of Blizzard Mike Ybarra sells boosts.
    I already pointed out the rule. And last you checked was before or after the rule was introduced? sigh.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by chaoticcrono View Post
    so does blizzard, whats your point? blizz sells gold and the co lead sells boosts.
    I guess his point was that it's against the rules and therefore cheating. Selling cheats is against discords rules.
  1. hulkgor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chaoticcrono View Post
    so does blizzard, whats your point? blizz sells gold and the co lead sells boosts.
    Erm, how exactly does Blizzard "sell gold" exactly? You do understand how the token works, right?
  1. Somic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chaoticcrono View Post
    so does blizzard, whats your point? blizz sells gold and the co lead sells boosts.
    You asked for the rule that they broke, I gave it to you. I’m not arguing whether or not blizzard does the same thing. Take your answer and accept it.
  1. chaoticcrono's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkyjunky View Post
    I already pointed out the rule. And last you checked was before or after the rule was introduced? sigh.

    Is Boosting against the rules of WOW?
    It's not a ban on boosting. It's a ban on organised communities that operate and advertise cross realm in return for Gold (or IRL money), who advertise themselves as an additional service to the game. It doesn't even ban individual guilds who want to boost for gold.Feb 18, 2022
    So youre just flat out wrong. boosting is still allowed but advertising it else where isnt, which is dumb because its really none of their business what people do off the game.

    at the end of the day their discord accounts shouldve been left alone
  1. Somic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chaoticcrono View Post
    So youre just flat out wrong. boosting is still allowed but advertising it else where isnt, which is dumb because its really none of their business what people do off the game.

    at the end of the day their discord accounts shouldve been left alone
    Selling boosts for money is specifically against the rules, do you need me to link it to you honey?

    Here I’ll link it for you. Policy change here:

    https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wo...y-2022/1176836

    And here is their rules for real money services

    https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/269874

    Any questions?
  1. Cæli's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Somic View Post
    I read it again, and I quoted you on it specifically. You word for word said blizzard can’t do anything. Period. You even said especially if they are out of the US. What part of this sentence, that you said yourself, aren’t you understanding? Why am I having to repeat back to you the words that you said?
    I never said "blizzard can’t do anything about 100% of them". I said "blizzard can’t do anything about a part of those". why do you care that much? you can't do anything against the fact that blizzard can't do anything about many people not respecting their tos.
  1. Funkyjunky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chaoticcrono View Post
    So youre just flat out wrong. boosting is still allowed but advertising it else where isnt, which is dumb because its really none of their business what people do off the game.

    at the end of the day their discord accounts shouldve been left alone
    It's an interesting topic - so I would encourage you to do some more research.
  1. Biglog's Avatar
    I'm all for making boosting more difficult, but I question the inclusion of multiboxers in the argument as a gameplay style Blizzard doesn't appreciate. Some players really don't like multiboxers and have had a misperception for years that it's somehow bannable, but Blizzard has been quite clear that it's allowed and not against the EULA. It's odd that this argument tries to mix an activity that is against EULA (boosting) with one that is not (multiboxing). So although it's not my cup of tea, it's unfortunate if this makes multiboxing more difficult for gamers that do it legitimately and enjoy that playstyle. This was recently updated by Blizzard as well, so there is no question on their stance:

    https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/24258
  1. Tiwack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chaoticcrono View Post
    So youre just flat out wrong. boosting is still allowed but advertising it else where isnt, which is dumb because its really none of their business what people do off the game.

    at the end of the day their discord accounts shouldve been left alone
    Most discords were pretty blatant about their RMT boosting services, can't blame discord for shutting it down when asked by blizz.
  1. Somic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    I said "blizzard can’t do anything about a part of those".
    I know you said that, and you’re wrong. Per what I already told you.

    I don’t care about the topic that much. I care about slimy people like you trying to save face and not accept that what you said was just BS. Instead you squirm around to attempt to sound like you were at least partly correct.

    You aren’t. You’re wrong. Accept it.
  1. chaoticcrono's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkyjunky View Post
    I guess his point was that it's against the rules and therefore cheating. Selling cheats is against discords rules.
    breaking the rules is breaking the rules, not cheating. its against the rules to say certain words to people, that doesn't mean you're cheating.

    theyre not cheating at all, theyre ignoring a bullshit rule that is trying to dictate what they can or cannot do outside of the game. if blizzturd whats to ban them that would make more sense, discord however has no reason to as the thing they are doing isnt a cheat or a hack.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Somic View Post
    Selling boosts for money is specifically against the rules, do you need me to link it to you honey?

    Here I’ll link it for you. Policy change here:

    https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wo...y-2022/1176836

    And here is their rules for real money services

    https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/269874

    Any questions?
    as i said to the other guy, breaking a rule is not the same as cheating. so if anything they should've been banned in the game and not on discord.
  1. Somic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chaoticcrono View Post
    breaking the rules is breaking the rules, not cheating. its against the rules to say certain words to people, that doesn't mean you're cheating.

    theyre not cheating at all, theyre ignoring a bullshit rule that is trying to dictate what they can or cannot do outside of the game. if blizzturd whats to ban them that would make more sense, discord however has no reason to as the thing they are doing isnt a cheat or a hack.

    - - - Updated - - -



    as i said to the other guy, breaking a rule is not the same as cheating. so if anything they should've been banned in the game and not on discord.
    Buddy, it is. It fucking clearly is. What topic do you think you’re in right now? A topic that is discussing whether or not these discords should be banned? No you are in a topic that is talking about why these discords got banned and they got banned for the activities they were doing in world of Warcraft. You can argue all day and say “IN MY OPINION ITS NOT ACTUALLY CHEATING”, and that’s adorable and all, but that doesn’t change the fact that blizzard and discord clearly thinks differently and your opinion doesn’t change the reality of that.
  1. Cæli's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Somic View Post
    I know you said that, and you’re wrong. Per what I already told you.

    I don’t care about the topic that much. I care about slimy people like you trying to save face and not accept that what you said was just BS. Instead you squirm around to attempt to sound like you were at least partly correct.

    You aren’t. You’re wrong. Accept it.
    I'm not wrong, you're making up some imaginary situation where I said something that I didn't (again proven by what is written). the guy I quoted at first said blizzard can act against ANY websites. this was wrong. I then commented.

    you came at first convinced about that reality when in fact it wasn't the case...anyway.
  1. MoanaLisa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TomBrokovski View Post
    boost buyers and communities are simply a symptom of a much greater problem that blizz will never address, since they are the ones who created that environment and profit directly from it.
    MMO titles generally have ways to convert game currencies into something that can be bought with real money and vice versa. Blizz did not create anything that never existed before. They allowed people who bought gold illegally and unsafely to do so safely. Boosts are very likely a small part of the token economy since I firmly believe that most people buy gold from Blizzard to have some extra gold around. How they use it is their business.

    You're making the same error that governments make about drugs: If drugs are a problem go after those that are pushing the drug/sales (guilds), not those who are users.
  1. chaoticcrono's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Somic View Post
    Buddy, it is. It fucking clearly is. What topic do you think you’re in right now? A topic that is discussing whether or not these discords should be banned? No you are in a topic that is talking about why these discords got banned and they got banned for the activities they were doing in world of Warcraft. You can argue all day and say “IN MY OPINION ITS NOT ACTUALLY CHEATING”, and that’s adorable and all, but that doesn’t change the fact that blizzard and discord clearly thinks differently and your opinion doesn’t change the reality of that.
    you're wrong though because boosting is ALLOWED. but even if it wasn't its not cheating, not anymore than buying an item off the ah is.

    cheating would be along the lines of using exploits or hacks, which isnt happening.

    if blizz thought it was cheating theyd ban it outright like actual cheats and hacks but they haven't.
  1. Funkyjunky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chaoticcrono View Post
    breaking the rules is breaking the rules, not cheating. its against the rules to say certain words to people, that doesn't mean you're cheating.

    theyre not cheating at all, theyre ignoring a bullshit rule that is trying to dictate what they can or cannot do outside of the game. if blizzturd whats to ban them that would make more sense, discord however has no reason to as the thing they are doing isnt a cheat or a hack.

    - - - Updated - - -



    as i said to the other guy, breaking a rule is not the same as cheating. so if anything they should've been banned in the game and not on discord.
    It's not expressly authorized by Blizzard and grants you an advantage over other players not using such methods.
    In the EULA that's defined as cheating.
  1. Loveliest's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chaoticcrono View Post
    selling boosts isnt a cheat or hack though so discord is in the wrong

    and if you think it is by that same logic buying items from the auction house is cheating.
    You don't define the rules of what is or is not a cheat, the developer does. They don't want you going to an outside something to buy something ingame, they want the whole process to happen ingame.

    But what you're missing is that these "communities" are companies that sell the gold they gain to gold buyers for real money.

Site Navigation