WoW Boosting Communities Deleted from Discord
Today, several months after the Policy Update for Organized In-Game Services, a few boosting communities in Europe got their discord server deleted.

Servers affected by this include Dawn, Nova, Oblivion, Sylvanas and Twilight. The owners of these servers also had their Discord account suspended and received the following message: "Your account participated in selling, promoting, or distributing cheats, hacks, or cracked accounts."

According to multiple sources, this is not a mass report on the discord servers. This is more likely a follow-up from Blizzard's risk team since communities simply ignored the new policy update from January and continued to offer escrow services.


Remote FollowUnit Script to be Disabled in Dragonflight and Wrath Classic
Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
So, Blizzard has recently issued heavy-handed anti-boosting measures. However, addons are still able to accept a remote /follow command from another player. This makes boosting services more attractive as boostees can then be fully AFK for a very long time. This is (or was) a common practice for boosting on Faerlina.

How this looks in practice: A booster advertises that they are doing slave pens boosts, and that they have the auto-follow weakaura. 1-4 boostees join, and then the booster shares a weakaura with them that will accept a remote /follow command. Now after they pay the booster they can just go AFK for 30 minutes, since the booster can just type a command in party chat and the boostee characters will automatically follow the booster out of an old instance ID and into a fresh one without them even being at the keyboard.

If the above doesn’t give you an idea of what this would look like, just look at the first 10 seconds of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6voUtTiLz0

I don’t see how the ability to remotely issue a /follow command meaningfully benefits anyone except multiboxers and people selling a service that allows someone to AFK for exp/gear, and Blizzard have now shown that they don’t really appreciate either of these gameplay styles, so I’m wondering why it’s still in the game. While boosting has taken a heavy hit, there do appear to be some boosting options still available albeit not as accessible as before, so in my mind it makes sense to make whatever’s left as inconvenient as possible.


I reached out to our UI and accessibility teams and we’re investigating this.

In general, we agree that accessibility is important, but that doesn’t mean that every effort to stop automation or botting is an attack on accessibility. There are lots of game functions that the game requires a hardware event for, and it makes sense for /follow to be added to that list, based on the behavior Kruffzz suggested. We’re targeting that change for both Wrath of the Lich King Classic, and Dragonflight releases.

Before making decisions like this, we reach out to gamers with disabilities. To be clear, the change we’re planning will still allow a disabled player to follow a guide, including through the use of a Macro or UI Mod to issue the follow command. The behavior it prevents is for UI Mods to initiate a follow on their own based on receiving a message from another source, such as a message from another player.

Thanks for the suggestion, Kruffzz!
This article was originally published in forum thread: Boosting Communities Deleted from Discord, Remote FollowUnit Script to be Disabled started by Lumy View original post
Comments 250 Comments
  1. Funkyjunky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    So I guess the companies are teaming up to apply the social contract now.
    Discord transparency report shows it is not a new practice that Discord ban users for the exact same reason. Which has nothing to do with the social contract

    Nothing new here. But feel free to make up your own assumptions.
  1. Cæli's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Somic View Post
    They can act against any website. I already explained to you how they can. What in the actual fuck aren’t you understanding? They can find out who they are and sue them if they wanted to.
    no, blizzard cannot act against "any" website. you obviously have no clue about how websites work. mostly anyone can host a website at home and even if they don't get a domain name there's ways to make it accessible. and even if some particular people get somehow kidnapped by the us (lol) in their own country, it doesn't mean that the site won't be run by someone else. if the provider is determined there's nothing blizzard can do, which is a feature of the internet.
  1. rhorle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    no, blizzard cannot act against "any" website. you obviously have no clue about how websites work. mostly anyone can host a website at home and even if they don't get a domain name there's ways to make it accessible. and even if some particular people get somehow kidnapped by the us (lol) in their own country, it doesn't mean that the site won't be run by someone else. if the provider is determined there's nothing blizzard can do, which is a feature of the internet.
    All you are doing is describing how someone could evade such action. You do realize that the need for a provider to do those things means that Blizzard, or any other entity, can act against any website. It isn't like this is anything new because DMCA strikes and copyright infringement have been around on the internet for years. These type of disputes even pre-date the internet though in obviously different forms.
  1. Cæli's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    All you are doing is describing how someone could evade such action. You do realize that the need for a provider to do those things means that Blizzard, or any other entity, can act against any website. It isn't like this is anything new because DMCA strikes and copyright infringement have been around on the internet for years. These type of disputes even pre-date the internet though in obviously different forms.
    I don't know what is your point. the provider here meant the persons operating the website. if the local jurisdiction doesn't want to cooperate with blizzard or the us, then too bad. dmca is a usa law fyi...
  1. rhorle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    I don't know what is your point. the provider here meant the persons operating the website. if the local jurisdiction doesn't want to cooperate with blizzard or the us, then too bad. dmca is a usa law fyi...
    DMCA is the US version of the law but countries that have signed WIPO treaties have their own versions or procedures. The local jurisdiction not cooperating still indicates your original statement is wrong. You keep describing how someone can evade action taken against their site but it still means that Blizzard, or anyone else, can go after any other website to stop them from doing something.
  1. Djuntas's Avatar
    This is like the war on drugs. Wont help, and people will just die due to shitty drugs or in wow's case getting scammed and more annoyed by bad boosters.
  1. Cæli's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    DMCA is the US version of the law but countries that have signed WIPO treaties have their own versions or procedures. The local jurisdiction not cooperating still indicates your original statement is wrong. You keep describing how someone can evade action taken against their site but it still means that Blizzard, or anyone else, can go after any other website to stop them from doing something.
    you're not making your point clear. maybe blizzard can go after someone with the "intent" to stop a website. doesn't mean they will succeed.
  1. Ealyssa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SinR View Post
    The other day I bought a WoW Token and blew 120k gold in a heartbeat.

    No Regrets at all. 11/10 would do it again if I didn't need to.
    And that's fine. Boosting isn't forbidden, only boosting communities are (cross-server organisations who are doing it on an industrial scale).
  1. Somic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    you're not making your point clear. maybe blizzard can go after someone with the "intent" to stop a website. doesn't mean they will succeed.
    Trust me brother, he is making his point crystal clear, you haven’t proven to anyone here that you are even capable of understanding much. The issue lies within.
  1. rhorle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    you're not making your point clear. maybe blizzard can go after someone with the "intent" to stop a website. doesn't mean they will succeed.
    Right. You keep describing ways a site can avoid having action taken against them. The point is I called a specific part of your statement as incorrect. Blizzard or anyone else can act against any website they want. It is as if you understand the point but refuse to connect the dots for whatever reason.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    no, blizzard cannot act against "any" website. you obviously have no clue about how websites work.
  1. Delekii's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lora View Post
    thats actually dogshit. discord doesnt need to adhere to blizzards bullshit. not that im really torn up about it but thats an extremely slippery slope to get actioned on by something that happened outside of your platform. actions that occurred before the ToS was changed should not result in anything happening if they were done within the ToS at the time. i dont get how people dont see how thats a massive fucking issue.
    Discord doesn't want to be involved with ToS breaches either, not sure why that would be a surprise.

    Everyone keeps acting as if they were forced by Blizzard, when in all likelihood they were perfectly happy to comply.
  1. Cæli's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Right. You keep describing ways a site can avoid having action taken against them. The point is I called a specific part of your statement as incorrect. Blizzard or anyone else can act against any website they want. It is as if you understand the point but refuse to connect the dots for whatever reason.
    "act", cambridge dictionary : act verb (HAVE AN EFFECT)

    "have an effect"

    I said that blizzard cannot have an effect against "any" websites. this is not incorrect. blizzard can try to take down a website, but it doesn't mean they will succeed. someone who don't want to be impacted by anything blizzard tries will host the website in a country that will ignore them, or will use decentralized solutions, or something else. pretty sure some countries in asia, russia, maybe the netherlands, I don't know which one, but there's surely some places where you can freely ignore blizzard.

    you're a big fan of semantics it seems? I'm finding it kind of annoying personally, way to discuss anything but the actual substance

    Quote Originally Posted by Somic View Post
    Trust me brother, he is making his point crystal clear, you haven’t proven to anyone here that you are even capable of understanding much. The issue lies within.
    his point wasn't very clear, as shown by the fact that he needed 3 lines of text and multiple sentences to answer. I've stated facts, but you seem willing to ignore many things, including how websites work, that you imagined something I didn't said, which is here for everyone to see.
  1. Somic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    "act", cambridge dictionary : act verb (HAVE AN EFFECT)

    "have an effect"

    I said that blizzard cannot have an effect against "any" websites. this is not incorrect. blizzard can try to take down a website, but it doesn't mean they will succeed. someone who don't want to be impacted by anything blizzard tries will host the website in a country that will ignore them, or will use decentralized solutions, or something else. pretty sure some countries in asia, russia, maybe the netherlands, I don't know which one, but there's surely some places where you can freely ignore blizzard.

    you're a big fan of semantics it seems? I'm finding it kind of annoying personally, way to discuss anything but the actual substance



    his point wasn't very clear, as shown by the fact that he needed 3 lines of text and multiple sentences to answer. I've stated facts, but you seem willing to ignore many things, including how websites work, that you imagined something I didn't said, which is here for everyone to see.
    The fact that he is required to write *more* sentences in order to explain it to *you* isn’t a reflection on his ability to explain things. It’s a reflection on your ability to comprehend. You are now talking with two people who are attempting to explain something to you and you aren’t understanding still. Do you need 3? 4? 15?
  1. rhorle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    I said that blizzard cannot have an effect against "any" websites. this is not incorrect.
    It is incorrect because in your very first post on the subject you described how a website would have to shift their operations in order to "hide" from an entity trying to stop them. Even now you indicate you understand it will have an effect because of needing decentralized solutions to hide. You keep making statements that indicate you agree with my point yet refuse to allow yourself to be wrong for whatever reason. This isn't semantics either and deflecting to insults only shows that you aren't interested in anything of substance but merely bullying your way into being correct no matter what.
  1. Rocksteady 87's Avatar
    Ahhhh hahahahahaha. Such surprisingly good news.

    What's not surprisingly is seeing the tragically awful players complaining about it.
  1. Aggressive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Fixing human nature is a little beyond Blizzard, and if they could, and did, you would be throwing an even bigger fit. I can see the headlines now "Blizzard mind controlling players to no longer want shit without putting in the effort".

    Boosts are as old as time. Its not the game, its humans.

    Or headlines like "Blizzard Mind controls players into liking WoW and not FFXIV".

    The boosting thing has been around since Classic WoW. Blizzard is NOT God. They can't stop everything sneaky going on behind their backs. Hell they can barely keep track of who is doing what in their own company. hence all the legal issues they have going on.
  1. Krawu's Avatar
    They'll go deeper underground, but no way are they disappearing completely. It's too profitable.
    Just because Discord has booted them doesn't mean they won't just crop up on some federated network or self-hosted discord alternative. They'll be more difficult to find, but find them those who want boosting services will.

    Also, that's what you get for relying on a big tech player like Discord to break the ToS of another big tech player like Blizzard. It's a perfect example for why online communities should value reliability, control and independence over ease of use and cheap infrastructure.
  1. Lora's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    I'm with you -- this sets an incredibly terrible precedent. But if we're to believe the "multiple sources" in the OP, this was a result of Blizzard putting pressure on Discord due to the boosting communities flagrantly circumventing the main purpose of the boosting community ban, mainly keeping large amounts gold in escrow. The RMT-adjacent nature of massive piles of gold is too much of a temptation for most admins of these boosting communities and this puts them in direct competition with Blizzard's own monetization of the game (the WoW token).

    Hopefully it won't go further than this; though I can easily see boosting communities simply moving to a different platform (Telegram maybe?) since the demand for boosting isn't going anywhere any time soon.
    Yeah its really not a good look to be like hey shut down these discords bc they dont follow OUR ToS which is separate but similar in nature to your ToS. The RMT shit that occurred within communities should absolutely get shut down and thats fine but gold for services boosting never should have been changed to be against ToS. People are just going to buy tokens for gold and look for guilds to do the boosting now instead of communities trying to make the gold. And guilds that are bigger in nature can easily make guilds on other servers and it circumvents the change.
  1. Exkrementor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    https://discord.com/guidelines
    "Do not distribute or provide access to content involving the hacking, cracking, or distribution of stolen goods, pirated content, or accounts. This includes sharing or selling game cheats or hacks."
    The boosting got out of hand and it ruined the game but boosting is none of the above. You simply sell your time to get players through content they couldnt do themselves. Its a service, not a hack, cheat or exploit.

    This really is a dystopian virtual nightmare. 2 companies not related to one another decided to fuck some people over because they didnt like them and there is nothing these people can do about it.
  1. TomBrokovski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    You're making the same error that governments make about drugs: If drugs are a problem go after those that are pushing the drug/sales (guilds), not those who are users.
    it's more analogous to blizz being the ones who created the drug itself, and selectively enforcing rules around it (if at all). blizz created the token, allowed token to be converted into b.net balance (worst mistake blizz ever made), then all but incentivized sales by designing shadowlands around them when they saw how boost communities had taken off during BFA.

    you really mean to tell me that an expansion that has
    -overtuned raids
    -loot drops significantly lowered from all sources
    -overtuned m+ dungeons
    -a pvp ranking system completely plagued by boosters

    was all just a neat little coincidence? blizz was printing a ton of money at the start of SL, don't get me started on covenants making a lot of people reroll the same class just to try out different playstyles. that's why i dont get blizz going after communities now when they have gone out of their way to create the perfect game for boosting communities and have rarely if ever bothered to enforce its own ToS against them.

Site Navigation