WoW Hardcore Self-Found Mode Now Live
Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
Survival is the name of the game in Classic Hardcore realms, and while you don’t always have to go it alone, you might just want to. You can take the leap into a new adventure in Classic Hardcore with Self-Found mode.

Players can choose to take on this new mode of play beginning at level 1 by selecting the option at character creation. While in this mode, players will be restricted from sending or receiving mail from other players, buying, or selling on the Auction House, or trading in any way (including giving or receiving items or enchantments.) While Self-Found mode is activated, you’ll see a new buff applied to your character. Characters with Self-Found mode on will also show a small icon in the character selection screen.


Self-Found Adventurer
Unable to trade, use the auction house, or send and receive most mail.

To turn off this mode of play, Alliance players can visit an Apprentice Watcher in Ironforge (Hall of Explorers) or Darnassus (Moon Temple) and Horde players can visit an Apprentice Watcher in Orgrimmar (near the PvP vendors) or in Undercity (The Apothecarium). Keep in mind that once you turn off Self-Found, you will not be able to turn it back on.

It will all be up to you and your ability to explore, gather, and create everything you need to survive in Azeroth…all on your own.



Getting Into Hardcore

If you haven’t taken up the challenge yet, then don’t worry. We have everything you need to know to get started.


If living life on the edge is for you, first, you'll need to do the following:

  • Make sure your graphics drivers are up to date.
  • Run the Battle.net desktop app—it may need to update itself if you haven't run it recently. First-time adventurers or those looking for a fresh start will need to create a new Battle.net account.
  • Once Battle.net is installed and updated, select World of Warcraft from the list of games.
  • Access to WoW Classic Hardcore is included and available to all players with an active World of Warcraft subscription—no additional purchase is required. You can subscribe by visiting the Battle.net Shop.
  • In the Game Version drop-down menu above the Play button, choose the World of Warcraft Classic option, then click Install.
  • Allow the installation to complete, click Play, and select from the available realms listed in the Hardcore tab.
  • Create a new character.
  • Enter the game and do your best to live.

Access to the WoW Classic Hardcore realms is available to all players with an active World of Warcraft subscription—no additional purchase is required. For the current system requirements for PC and Mac, visit our support page.



What’s Playing


Get a quick refresher on the content available, the special considerations for Hardcore and get your ticket into a new adventure! Learn more in our previously published article.



Facing Mortality —What Lies Beyond Death in Classic Hardcore


Death isn't necessarily the end for Classic Hardcore characters. Learn about your choices and how to make the most of your Hardcore experience. Visit our previously published article for more information.

Check out the Rules of Engagement and our official patch notes articles to learn more about the gameplay on Classic Hardcore realms.



We look forward to seeing you in Azeroth!
This article was originally published in forum thread: WoW Hardcore Self-Found Mode Begins February 29 started by Lumy View original post
Comments 92 Comments
  1. Ereb's Avatar
    I wish they would enable cross-rewards like if you ding 60 in hardcore classic you unlock some cosmetic reward in retail (or all other modes). Different cosmetics for different achievements that would motivate me so much more to play these modes.
  1. Poppincaps's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ereb View Post
    I wish they would enable cross-rewards like if you ding 60 in hardcore classic you unlock some cosmetic reward in retail (or all other modes). Different cosmetics for different achievements that would motivate me so much more to play these modes.
    Yeah I strongly agree with this. Especially the self-found mode. I feel like the playerbase for it would be a lot healthier if there were long term rewards tied to it. I'm still playing hardcore because I find it fun, but I sometimes feel my time would be better spent doing things that are more rewarding in either SoD, Wrath, or Retail.
  1. Sanguinerd's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ereb View Post
    I wish they would enable cross-rewards like if you ding 60 in hardcore classic you unlock some cosmetic reward in retail (or all other modes). Different cosmetics for different achievements that would motivate me so much more to play these modes.
    Screw that nonsense. Let classic be its own thing without any reward for retail.

    Cba reading about people feeling forced to play classic.
  1. Walkerbo's Avatar
    When Hardcore Is Weak Sauce
  1. ParzivalMcfly17's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ereb View Post
    I wish they would enable cross-rewards like if you ding 60 in hardcore classic you unlock some cosmetic reward in retail (or all other modes). Different cosmetics for different achievements that would motivate me so much more to play these modes.
    That is an insanely good idea and one I think most of us would love to see at some point.
  1. Ielenia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ereb View Post
    I wish they would enable cross-rewards like if you ding 60 in hardcore classic you unlock some cosmetic reward in retail (or all other modes). Different cosmetics for different achievements that would motivate me so much more to play these modes.
    F*CK NO!! I'm someone who loves collecting cosmetic rewards (toys, mounts, transmog) and I would absolutely hate feeling like I have to actually stop playing a game I enjoy (retail WoW) and dedicate myself to a game I detest (classic WoW) to get a cosmetic reward I might be interested in.

    Worse if it's Classic hardcore, where my entire progress is nullified if I die, for whatever reason. Again: F*CK THAT NOISE. That might be one of the worst ideas around.
  1. DechCJC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ereb View Post
    I wish they would enable cross-rewards like if you ding 60 in hardcore classic you unlock some cosmetic reward in retail (or all other modes). Different cosmetics for different achievements that would motivate me so much more to play these modes.
    I’ve thought about this for a while and would love it. I enjoy classic and all of its varying modes, but I don’t really care to commit to it. Any single retail title/mount or whatever would be enough reason for me to do it.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    F*CK NO!! I'm someone who loves collecting cosmetic rewards (toys, mounts, transmog) and I would absolutely hate feeling like I have to actually stop playing a game I enjoy (retail WoW) and dedicate myself to a game I detest (classic WoW) to get a cosmetic reward I might be interested in.

    Worse if it's Classic hardcore, where my entire progress is nullified if I die, for whatever reason. Again: F*CK THAT NOISE. That might be one of the worst ideas around.
    On second thought maybe it would piss some people off a bit too much…
  1. Ereb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    F*CK NO!! I'm someone who loves collecting cosmetic rewards (toys, mounts, transmog) and I would absolutely hate feeling like I have to actually stop playing a game I enjoy (retail WoW) and dedicate myself to a game I detest (classic WoW) to get a cosmetic reward I might be interested in.
    That's a you issue my man. You never HAVE to do anything you don't want you. You could just ignore them after all lol and no harm no foul to you
  1. lurkanomics's Avatar
    I'm pretty sure the survivor of the firelord title is from not dying in SoM? I've seen people with the title on normal classic servers not sure if they xfered the character over or what
  1. Ielenia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ereb View Post
    That's a you issue my man. You never HAVE to do anything you don't want you. You could just ignore them after all lol and no harm no foul to you
    What part of "I'm a collector" did you not get? Especially if the cosmetic reward would complement a transmog set I may have in mind.

    Keep the games self-contained. How would you feel if killing Fyrakk on mythic difficulty gave a reward for Classic WoW that you really really wanted?
  1. Ereb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    What part of "I'm a collector" did you not get? Especially if the cosmetic reward would complement a transmog set I may have in mind.

    Keep the games self-contained. How would you feel if killing Fyrakk on mythic difficulty gave a reward for Classic WoW that you really really wanted?
    I would understand that my "need" to collect everything is self-imposed and I would surely have much more self-control than you seem to possess. Unless your ATT says you are at 100% already you don't have a leg to stand on either mr "collector" as you surely have other in-game things to worry about before you bother yourself over any proposed cross-promotions.

    "I want to limit everybody else because I can't control my own impulses" is not the take you seem to think it is.
  1. Ielenia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ereb View Post
    Unless your ATT says you are at 100% already you don't have a leg to stand on either mr "collector"
    That's irrelevant, though. I don't need to be "100% everything" to argue against cross promotions like that that would force me to trudge through what could be several months of doing work I don't enjoy to complete. Work that would keep me from playing the game I actually enjoy, for the sake of a reward I want. That is not how it should be done.

    Keep the games independent. Your progress in one game should not affect the other.

    "I want to limit everybody else because I can't control my own impulses" is not the take you seem to think it is.
    Good thing that's not my take at all. I'm not limiting anyone. I'm not saying you can't get rewards. You can get all the rewards you want. I'm just saying collectors like me shouldn't be penalized (by having to stop playing a game we like to play a game we don't like) because you apparently need an incentive to play the game mode you claim to enjoy.
  1. exochaft's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Good thing that's not my take at all. I'm not limiting anyone. I'm not saying you can't get rewards. You can get all the rewards you want. I'm just saying collectors like me shouldn't be penalized (by having to stop playing a game we like to play a game we don't like) because you apparently need an incentive to play the game mode you claim to enjoy.
    I'll put it another way: imagine Blizz made it so in order to fully enjoy what you doing in retail, regardless of the activity, you had to play effectively another game. No matter the activity, whether it's collecting stuff, raiding, PvP, what have you, people would feel pretty bad about it. Now, you can limit the impact of a person's time, such as past promotionals for Overwatch/Hearthstone/HotS/D3 where you basically just log in and/or do a couple minor things and be done with it.

    Now the immediate comeback is "Well collecting stuff is way different than raiding/M+/etc.", and as standalone activities that's true... however they are all still end game activities that people have been engaging with for years on end, regardless if there's power progression associated with it or not. People seems to weight their importance based upon their own feelings or investment in an activity, so everyone will have their opinions about them. However, that doesn't change the fact that they're important to the game and many players.

    I'll throw out another example: imagine Blizz says that they'll be gating a raid boss or a dungeon on retail behind a questline that you have to do on a Classic server at max level. Would being told "It's fine, you don't need access to that raid boss and dungeon play the game or clear the raids!" be acceptable? Of course not, but why? The reason has zero to do with power progression: you could get as much near-BiS gear outside of what drops from that boss/dungeon and be 'fine' to play the game anyways (according to the logic that's being thrown around towards xmog/item collectors). The reason has everything to do with gating your end game content or curtailing the way one enjoys playing the game, regardless if it's related to power progression or not, behind another game or activity outside the game.

    What's important to take away from this is that something as simple as "Let's have Classic WoW reward stuff in retail!" has huge rammifications for a lot of people, even if it may not impact you as an individual.
  1. anon5123's Avatar
    I genuinely don't understand why someone would want to play an MMORPG single-player self-found. WoW is fucking awful as a single player game.
  1. Mysterymask's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    I genuinely don't understand why someone would want to play an MMORPG single-player self-found. WoW is fucking awful as a single player game.
    It's because people demanded it. I mean Hardcore by itself seems silly to me but as I've always as an analogy

    Wow is a giant theme park. To some people leveling is an integral part of the park to other's its the line.

    To the folks in the first category this adds another ride for them. This is probably a VERY VERY niche ride but for those who are absolutely into it this is the best ride in the park. I don't understand the appeal, you don't understand the appeal but this is a cheap ride for Blizz to make, makes them happy, and neither of us has to interact with it.
  1. WeAreNotSmilesTimes's Avatar
    Same day as the FF7 Rebirth launch? Hard pass Blizzard.
  1. Locruid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    I genuinely don't understand why someone would want to play an MMORPG single-player self-found. WoW is fucking awful as a single player game.

    Mainly because like many others, a lot of people are under the misconception that MMORPG meant you have to group with other people That's not the case. All it ever meant from the very beginning was there's a lot of people playing online at the same time and it was a role-playing game whether you were in a group or you were single didn't matter.


    On the second note of a cosmetic item for hardcore 60 I'd be more than happy to have something like that. There's a lot of stuff I have missed out on because I cannot raid so what does it matter if there's a cosmetic item for playing a different part of the game. You're not forced to get it even if you want it really bad there's a lot of things I really wanted bad and raids that I never got because my job provinced me from raiding
  1. czarek's Avatar
    Solo self found and hc in MMO... faceplam.
  1. FelPlague's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ereb View Post
    That's a you issue my man. You never HAVE to do anything you don't want you. You could just ignore them after all lol and no harm no foul to you
    Ok well I think blizz now that they own candy crush should have a cosmetic item earned by beating 1000 levels of candy crush.
    Oh and they should add a ton of cosmetics only earntable by playing halo infinite. Now that Microsoft owns em.
  1. Muxtar's Avatar
    Idk any reason to go to this HC variation from SoD, which is insanely good and fun atm. Doubt that any decent chunk of classic playerbase will move there.

Site Navigation