Cataclysm Screenshot of the Day
The screenshots of the day have been uploaded on the official site for the week-end. Today's update features a screenshot of Mount Hyjal already released during the press event and a screenshot of the Barrens.



Sam Raimi talks about the World of Warcraft Movie
Collider.com has an interesting interview of Sam Raimi about the World of Warcraft movie. It was reported a few days ago that Sam Raimi would most likely pick up Oz before World of Warcraft but it looks like he's not comitted to the project yet. However, the WoW movie is currently a "40 page document that needs a lot more work" and it looks like we're far from a top priority. (But that's just my guess)




Ancilorn (Community Manager) leaves Blizzard Europe
Ancilorn is leaving the European community team. That's my 2nd "oh, that sucks" moment of the year.
[blizzquote author=Ancilorn source=http://blue.mmo-champion.com/t/13816843736/farewell/]It’s with great sadness that all good things do come to an end in one way or another. For me this is undoubtedly one of those times.

Eighteen months have gone by since I first set foot into these forums and time has flown by. It’s been a great eighteen months and without a doubt it has been a era I will never forget. I have learned a great deal from all of you and my experiences here will be taken with me into the future as I explore new, green pastures.

Best of luck, and may the Cataclysm be kind to you all. So long, and thanks for all the shinies! [/blizzquote]


Blue posts
Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
Proto-Drake and Rare Mounts in Cataclysm
This is all tentative and could change, but we don't really have a problem with protodrake farming. What we will probably do with really unusual mounts like Mimiron's Head and Invincible is make them a rare drop. The 100% drop rate won't make sense when you can overpower the content.

If you want to overpower the content for a drake though, go for it. Players who did it "legit" had the benefit of having the achievement and mount earlier than anyone else. The most prestigious mounts will change in Cataclysm. (Source)

Exploration and Quest achievements in Cataclysm
The exploration and quest achievements probably won't change. If you have the achievements, you won't lose them. If you don't have them, you can still get them, but obviously you'll have different quests or areas to explore. The greatest risk is to players who are almost done with one of these achievements, because they might suddenly have to do more than they thought (say 100 quests instead of 50). (Source)

Molten Core/Blackwing Lair/Thunderfury in Cataclysm
We aren't removing MC or BWL as of this writing. We aren't going out of our way to remove old legendaries. The only risk there in a case like Thunderfury is if we change a zone like Silithus so much that the quests become hard to keep intact. (Source)

"What a Long Strange Trip It's Been"
You can still get "What a Long Strange Trip It's Been." In general, we are going to go bend over backwards to not remove existing achievements. (Source)

New classes/races and quest rewards
Yes. We are also making sure we include quest rewards for new classes, such as hunter weapons in the human zones and healing mail accessible to low level tauren paladins. (Source)

"If there is a quest item you really love, you might want to grab it now."
Almost every quest reward in the 1-60 content will be changing. If there is a quest item you really love, you might want to grab it now. (Source)

ICC Buff and instance nerfs
We're not worried about this issue. If players understand the concept of a stacking buff then they will understand that going into new content without the buff will be challenging, but that the buff will eventually get them back up to allow them to complete the content.

We essentially always had the equivalent of the ICC buff -- we'd just nerf content overtime to make it more accessible to a broader swath of players. The difference is that the ICC style of buff formalizes the concept -- a player whose raid can't beat Putricide at 5% can look forward to the 15% buff.

We also don't know that we'll use the ICC system every time. (Source)

Too many abilities in WoW?
I think this is valid and we're taking a pretty hard look at what abilities every class and talent spec has to deal with. I'm not sure WoW would benefit from a hard cap on the number of abilities you can put on your bar at one time, but we can combine or remove abilities with very situational use. (Source)

Is Dungeon Finder killing the community?
I think this is a legit issue and I definitely miss a little bit of the community feel my server(s) used to have. On the other hand, I'm not sure that's a good justification for long queues. Dungeon Finder can feel a little anonymous at times, but it beats the pants out of not being able to run dungeons at all. (Source)

Inspection Throttle / Gearscore
It's important to understand that this wasn't really the fault of addon authors. This needed to be fixed because we were allowing something we really shouldn't have. Many addons pull Inspect data when mousing over characters and there was nothing on our end to throttle the rate at which that data could be pulled. So if you're standing in Dalaran with one of these mods and slide your mouse across the screen and over several characters within a very small amount of time, your client is spamming the database with Inspect queries. We're correcting that issue on our end.

[...] We're starting by capping the number of Inspects that can be sent in a 10-second time frame. It'll likely be 5 Inspects, but that could change in either direction.

Keep in mind that this change is intended to help those using addons which are sending a lot of these requests from lagging or disconnecting. If you're not actually using such addons, and therefore not sending a large number of queries to our database, the change won't affect you either way. You're not lagging or disconnecting because someone else in a raid or major city is unknowingly spamming such requests. (Source)

[...] I just wanted to reiterate that the original information on this change was meant to help add-on authors more than anything so that they could adjust accordingly. Unless the add-ons you use are requesting a lot of data, there isn't going to be any particular change in regard to the amount of latency you might be experiencing in the game. (Source)
This article was originally published in forum thread: Cataclysm Screenshots, WoW Movie, Blue posts started by Boubouille View original post
Comments 118 Comments
  1. Fuzzzie's Avatar
    I've always said a WoW movie has the potential to be really good, but could just as easily be terrible. There are so many stories that could translate decently to the big screen but only if its handled well. It really is up in the air. I don't want to see a movie that's slapped together with bad actors and cheesy special effects. So many video games are bad.

    I think fans of WoW's expectations will be so high that ultimately a lot of people will be disappointed.
  1. Fusmu's Avatar
    WoW GOOD JOB BLIZZARD, now 4/5 of the ppl will have Loremaster and Ironbound Proto-Drake...
  1. KCguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fusmu View Post
    WoW GOOD JOB BLIZZARD, now 4/5 of the ppl will have Loremaster and Ironbound Proto-Drake...
    And you care why? It's just a game.
  1. merlin371's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fusmu View Post
    WoW GOOD JOB BLIZZARD, now 4/5 of the ppl will have Loremaster
    How did ya not see the loremaster thing coming? I mean they're adding new quests and people are gonna wanna do them ofc, and like they do now they'll also give new achievement for it, I'm assuming they're gonna be most likely like they are now, so that you get an achivemenet for finishing all the quest (or close to) in 1 zone, then you can get the title, they could give it another title, but that would mean that people that had loremaster before would have to grind everything again.
  1. quiz's Avatar
    Happy that i already did the loremaster .
  1. Lazertrooper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NathSB View Post
    Prince of Persia, you say?

    http://www.edge-online.com/files/Pri...iginal%20d.jpg <- that's the one and only Prince of Persia. D:<
    yeah that game was so kick ass.

    retarded 3d ruined everything, all graphics no substance.
  1. Kagonpeak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snowcrash512 View Post
    Why bother making a big movie out of it, just get that company thats doing all the TOR cinematic trailers to make a feature length WoW movie, cheaper and probably just as awesome.
    I think Final Fantasy did that with their first movie , almost went bankrupt.

    CGI movies are more expensive than you think , an example of this is Avatar (and that one wasn't even completely CGI)
  1. Fusmu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sTyLnK View Post
    And you care why? It's just a game.
    I care because this achievement required the patience and willingness, and now with this flying mounts and this thousand new quests, this achievement gonna be too easy to be done, which is lost all "the magic" of the title "Loremaster"
  1. bendora's Avatar
    Poor sam. @ 3.40 he things someone is laughing and waving at him.. but then finds out it's a person standing behind him.
  1. Gyrllsbear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by memento View Post
    If it all runs smooth i could see a christmas 2012 release at best.
    But the world will end then! I hope they keep the cinemas open especially.
  1. andy_mitchelluk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosiermama View Post
    You can still get them now. I was in a casual raiding guild and was only three achievements away from them before I finished it with my current guild. Are you saving your Ulduar lockouts now for something? Why can't your guild do it now? Just do a boss a week and extend your lockout. Hell, you could get in a pug to do it nowadays.

    In fact, your argument is pretty much exactly why I want them removed. You want them for your collection. I like mine because it represents how much work went into it.

    PUG on Anachronos? You have to be kidding right? It's one of the worst servers for raiding with only like 7-8 serious guilds on the whole realm. The reason my guild doesn't go and do Ulduar runs now is because a) it's summer and b) they're not that fussed about getting the drakes.

    Yes I know I could just go find another guild but that would mean me leaving the server. I've made a lot of friends here and I'm not about to leave them all just for a couple of mounts. And I really don't care if all the hardcore endgame players don't like it. They can quite frankly kiss my backside.

    When Cata hits, the endgame players will have the newest and greatest mounts anyway so why does it matter? Your achievement will show when you got the mount so what's the big deal? It's just another reason for little kids to flex their epeens.
  1. Brittany's Avatar
    Aww I really liked Ancilorn. I remember their first day. Shame.

    As for the movie they should drop Raimi and get a lesser known director with some underated gems, who is really passionate about Warcraft and it's universe. Or give James Cameron 5 years to make it.
  1. Karot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirque View Post
    What bothers me the most is two things really. One, it's fun to have relics of the past, like the Amani War Bear and stuff like that. Things that aren't around anymore which makes them a special memory to a time long by, whether you have the mount or not (I never bothered with it, so I don't have it, but still I wouldn't want that mount or any mount removed to be brought back). Second, having something you worked really hard for, especially with your guildies and friends, the item as a reward will serve as a memory to that time. I have a few special mounts and every single one of them reminds me of those times and this, and not being "admired" (because honestly, nobody cares what shit you ride on or what title you carry). However, as soon as this item or mount becomes common good and I see every random walking around with it, the specialness of that time I experienced with my friends simply pales because it doesn't seem that special anymore. I still cherish the memory, but it becomes different somehow.

    It's a personal thing, for me, at least.

    That and to be perfectly honest, no disrespect intended at all, but if you absolutely need to overgear content in order to get get get get something, then /meh, how can you even enjoy getting it? It's exactly in this way that the special feel of acquiring an item gets removed, even for "casuals" (I really hate the word, we're all players).

    Honestly, try getting the Ulduar drakes now, especially in 10man it's gonna be one big faceroll (yes, one light in the dark and firestarter as well) and you will probably still get a sense of achievement out of it instead of going back in Cataclysm. Maybe if you'd do, you'd understand why the people who are against keeping those mounts in the game are against it.
    The thing is, whichever "special" mount or title or whatever it is that carries that sentiment, even if it's pretty common, not everyone walks around with it all the time. Honestly with the large number of mounts, pets, etc. that are available, and more added to the game all the time, it's highly unlikely that you'll see every single person on the server running around with the same thing constantly. Sometimes you just change things up.

    Let me elaborate. My very first rare drop mount came a little over a year ago. A buddy and I decided to foray into the depths of ZG for a mount run. Now, I had never set foot in ZG before that day last March. I had never raiding in Vanilla, never even got a character above level 30 during Vanilla. But by that time I decided that I really wanted to start collecting as many mounts and companions as I could (a continuation of Pokemon-itis). Now there were, by that point, several of these items that I could never obtain. I hadn't even a clue to their existence prior to this new hobby, and to this day I still regret not knowing about them sooner so I could try for them.

    Anyway, my buddy and I went to down the Bloodlord and he was telling me how he had raiding that place so much "back in the day" and had always wanted the raptor mount. When I started looking into collecting mounts, that one had really stood out to me as one I "had to have". Then I realized it was a 1-2% drop rate. Ouch. Well, I figured, it'll never drop if you don't try. So we went for it. We took down Bloodlord for my first time ever, and low and behold, he dropped the freaking raptor! I won it over my friend, whom was understandably disappointed, but I promised him we'd keep coming back to get his. The following month, he had spotted me a game card and that same night I told him we should go into ZG. That night, he got his.

    Was the memory soured or "tainted" because we got it so much later than people that raided that content when it was fresh and "difficult"? Absolutely not. And this time around, it was just the two of us, he reminiscing about the raiding scene of the time, and myself, exploring content that I never got to experience. Now we both have the same mount that kind of marked the beginning of our friendship, several years after the mount was even added to the game. Since then, I've collected several other rare or special mounts/pets/titles that hold some kind of sentimental value. And their value does not diminish in the least when I see others with the same things.

    I really don't think that leaving the drakes in for Cataclysm is such a bad thing. Sure, the content can be overgeared now. It was overgeared as soon as ToC came out. Heck, during 3.1 players were overgearing the 10-man hard modes by doing them in their 25-man gear. And I strongly disagree with your statement about how all the hard modes can just be facerolled now. Last weekend I pugged with some other players that wanted to go for hard modes. We didn't one-shot any of them, with the exception of Ignis and Kologarn. We completed every single one, with anywhere from 3-5 tries. Then we hit a roadblock with Mimiron. We all had ICC 10/25 gear, the tank was geared with some ICC-10 HC gear, and mostly ICC-25. It was hard to keep him up. Everyone took tons of damage, there was fire everwhere, it was pure chaos. And you know what? I LOVED it. The guild I was with when Ulduar was out had never gotten that far even on normal 10/25. But I still loved having the opportunity to return there later and possibly even get a really cool reward from it. I always wanted those Ulduar drakes, but I'm kind of stuck on a server that doesn't really go for them, and very few guilds have the skill or are willing to do them even at this stage. They're too busy farming whatever has the best gear, which is sad. I probably couldn't even pay a guild to get me the last three achievements I need for the 10-man drake, let alone do the 25-man one. It's much more fun to obtain items that won't be obsolete. If they decided to give a deadline for being able to obtain them, I think it would just cause a lot of pressure on those that are so close, yet just haven't found the groove for that last push. Think of how much guild drama there was when the Naxx drakes were announced to be removed with 3.1, and how many of those guilds just had "Undying" or "Immortal" left. How many of those guilds had just that one player that died to Kel-Thuzad at 5% the week before the patch? How many guilds broke up because of the drama surrounding it? You think that something loses its value if it's left in the game to "faceroll" later, but it really doesn't. People that put in the effort, whether it's as quickly as possible after it's available, or whether it's still a work in progress a year or more later, it still holds special value.

    Thunderfury. Vanilla epics. Black Qiriaji bug mount. So many items they've removed already, that it feels that those of us that arrived late to the game, or didn't even have a clue about these things when they were available...it sort of feels like we're being punished or something for not being there since day one. I completely missed out on the Scourge Invasion event, didn't even know about it, because I was working hard at school. Bye-bye vampiric batling.

    Anyway, this is probably TL;DR for many by now, but I hope you can understand where I (and others that feel as I do) am coming from. Leaving them in doesn't mean everyone can or will obtain them, or make obtaining them any less special. Honestly, placing value on what you have based on whether or not your neighbor has it, is exactly what is wrong with this world. Even if everyone on your block has a Mustang convertible, do you feel yours is less special, even though there's very specific memories attached to yours? Maybe you took a road trip with a close friend, or took that car when you had the best date ever. We're so busy looking at what everyone else has or doesn't have, and never really appreciate what we've already got.

    Just my two copper. Take it or leave it.
  1. Manic_Miner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Morlin View Post
    The thing is, whichever "special" mount or title or whatever it is that carries that sentiment...
    Well said :-)


    ps:
    Quote Originally Posted by Morlin View Post
    Just my two copper. Take it or leave it.
    2 Copper left and you let them take it too? sheesh - I'll send you a WHOLE gold coin once the trans-server mail is allowed :Pp
  1. Molo's Avatar
    World of Warcraft movie? I thought they were working on a Warcraft movie! Oh wait, they are.
  1. Basharic's Avatar
    The mounts are rewards for a specific achievement. You earned them have an attaboy.

    But PVE earned mounts aren't any different than the mounts you can buy with gold. It's just a different currency. Is it any less of an achievement to have a Traveler's Mammoth? How about a Dark War Talbuk? How about even Anzu or the Baron's mount? At least on my server, every one of those is more rare that some of the raid mounts.

    The problem here is that so many WoW players are immature. Their self worth and happiness are tied to external displays of achievement. It's annoying, but what do we expect from WoW's main demographic? Luckily Blizz is run by adults.

    Someday, if you are lucky, you'll grow up manchildren, then you'll realize how childish you were. Those of us who already have will just continue to point and laugh.
  1. Vynicor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Violent View Post
    If you think 2 years from release is far, you have no sense of movie making time... even to go from Theaters to dvd is almost a year. The fact that he's talking about it so much is a GREAT step in our direction. Again just sayin'
    Couldn't agree more. Hell he even said he's not very committed to Oz right now. I hope the movie has a Lord of the Rings vibe. Not too much cgi and a lost of their own make up and art for the scenes. I trust blizzard, legendary pictures, and Sam Raimi.
  1. Tanatos's Avatar
    With this "special" mounts in wow...this is the same thing as it is with cars in real world. For example: new BMW comes on market. Lets say it costs 60.000+€.
    At start only few people in your neighbourhood will be able to buy it. But after few years that car will loose the price and than more people will be able to buy it....but at that time...that car wont have the same coolness as it had at the start.

    But people react on this matter like they are loosing the size of their dick...unbelievable....

Site Navigation