WoW Down to 7.6 Million Subscribers
Blizzard had their Q1 2014 earnings call today, announcing that WoW is down to 7.6 million subscribers. This is down 200k from the Q4 2013 call that listed WoW at 7.8 million subscribers.


Don't see a chart? Enable javascript!
This article was originally published in forum thread: WoW Down to 7.6 Million Subscribers started by chaud View original post
Comments 606 Comments
  1. SodiumChloride's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PolleDK View Post
    Then how come none of all those pretty MMO's has managed to copy the success of WoW? Not saying graphics are totally irrelevant, just that, at least for an MMO, content and game play matters more.

    Besides, upgrading the graphics in a 10 year old game would be risky as hell. Just look at all the people whining every time Blizzard actually did improve things, 'cuz now they can't run the game quite as smoothly. Plus, you risk destroying the look and feel of the game.

    If they did a World of Warcraft II - then I'd expect much better graphics - but in a 10 year old game? Come on...
    Wasn't talking about MMOs in particular.

    EA has Frostbite. Ubisoft has Snowdrop. All graphical powerhouses that take millions to build.

    I'm not asking that Blizzard upgrade WoW's graphics. I just pointing out that it isn't working in it's favour. To be blunt, Blizzard should have had WoW2 in the pipeline by now to "take over".

    Quite right. Still, the idiom holds true. What good is a game, if all it has is pretty graphics? People will flock to it like flies on a turd, but will quickly leave again when they find there's nothing to do. Some sort of trade of is required.
    It doesn't hold true. That's what I'm trying to tell you.

    There is a reason people dress well for job interviews. First impressions matter!

    Also, you are making the incorrect assumption that "good graphics = bad gameplay".

    I'm not denying that there aren't many people that value great graphics. However, WoW proves that there are even more who doesn't care (to a certain degree albeit).
    The number is dropping though.
  1. mmocb1a5994e5b's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    Wasn't talking about MMOs in particular.

    EA has Frostbite. Ubisoft has Snowdrop. All graphical powerhouses that take millions to build.
    Fair enough, was assuming we were talking about MMO's on MMO-Champion

    I like good graphics just as much as the next guy, I just value good game play higher - especially in MMO's. In let's say an FPS game, it's a completely different story. It's mostly point and shoot, I expect pretty graphics while I run around and shoot, but don't expect tons of game play if I'm honest with you.

    Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    I'm not asking that Blizzard upgrade WoW's graphics. I just pointing out that it isn't working in it's favour. To be blunt, Blizzard should have had WoW2 in the pipeline by now to "take over".
    Well, isn't that rather obvious? Given it's age? Any game that old will have things working against it. Guess I'm just trying to say it's a moot point.

    WoW2 in the pipeline, maybe - but that's not really the Blizzard way is it.

    Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    It doesn't hold true. That's what I'm trying to tell you.

    There is a reason people dress well for job interviews. First impressions matter!
    That's the entire point of the idiom. If you hire based on how well a person dresses, you run the risk of employing the wrong guy for the job, instead of the perfect guy, who didn't suit up.

    I have several times judge a person on first impressions, thinking "what an arse!". Then later on realized how wrong I was. First impressions are just that. First impressions. The point of the idiom is that you should not let first impressions decide for you.

    That might be the way the world works (sadly) - but it doesn't invalidate the idiom at all.

    Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    Also, you are making the incorrect assumption that "good graphics = bad gameplay".
    No that was just an example of how great graphics doesn't necessarily equal a great game. Nor does bad graphics necessarily equal a bad game.

    And that's the point I'm trying to make with that idiom.

    The cover on a book might look like crap, and the story might be crap as well - but you won't know until you've read it. Might turn out to be the greatest book of all time - just with a crappy cover.

    Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    The number is dropping though.
    Would you expect anything else, given it's age?
  1. Aesahaettr's Avatar
    Like it or not, there's probably a decent portion of the playerbase who play WoW because it's system demands are quite low. I was one of those players until quite recently. A massive overhaul could easily lose those players.

    Would an improved graphics engine entice more players than the potential losses? I don't have the answer, nobody here will, but it's something to consider.
  1. Xuvial's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aesahaettr View Post
    Like it or not, there's probably a decent portion of the playerbase who play WoW because it's system demands are quite low. I was one of those players until quite recently. A massive overhaul could easily lose those players.

    Would an improved graphics engine entice more players than the potential losses? I don't have the answer, nobody here will, but it's something to consider.
    As I said earlier, a graphics overhaul doesn't mean an increase in system requirements. It's called "scaling". There are many games which run extremely well on low-medium graphics, while offering ultra/extreme settings for people who are running proper gaming rigs.

    Currently at max settings WoW doesn't even come close to stressing out the CPU or GPU.
  1. SodiumChloride's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aesahaettr View Post
    Like it or not, there's probably a decent portion of the playerbase who play WoW because it's system demands are quite low. I was one of those players until quite recently. A massive overhaul could easily lose those players.

    Would an improved graphics engine entice more players than the potential losses? I don't have the answer, nobody here will, but it's something to consider.
    It certainly isn't attracting new players with those dated graphics. That's for sure.
  1. coldrain's Avatar
    meanwhile.. I see wildstar in Tera's place next year



    the entire MMO genre must re-invent itself. Thanks, Locusts

Site Navigation