Patch 6.1.2 PTR - Build 19769, Blue Posts, Py Wilson, Blue Tweets, Fan Art

Blackrock Foundry Item Level Change
Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
We are preparing to deploy a hotfix next week that will increase the item level of all raid drops from all difficulties of the Blackrock Foundry raid.

The main purpose of this change is to ensure that killing new bosses in the Blackrock Foundry raid feels appropriately rewarding. We are finding that groups coming out of a couple of months in Highmaul could often have an average item level that was just barely shy of the loot dropped by the appropriate difficulty in Foundry. A core part of the experience of progressing through a new raid tier lies in the sense that even if you didn't manage to kill a particular boss this week, the upgrades your raid group gathered along the way will make things smoother and improve your chances the following week.

This change will be retroactive, affecting existing items that players may have in their possession. Thus, instead of an item level range of 650/665/680/695 for Raid Finder/Normal/Heroic/Mythic Foundry, the loot awarded will now be item level 655/670/685/700 respectively. At the same time, we will be increasing the item level of the new highest-tier crafted and Apexis vendor items by 5, in order to keep their power unchanged relative to the Foundry raid itemization.

A few comments in response to some posts so far.

First, I wouldn't read much into the use of the word "tier" in the post - it's being used as a synonym for "zone" in this case. The point stands regardless: When you go through a series of learning attempts and wipes to defeat a new boss for the first time, you expect a commensurate reward for doing so. Many players coming out of 2 months in Highmaul were in a situation of having to work to learn and defeat new bosses that dropped loot of roughly the same quality as what they already were wearing. That isn't satisfying and doesn't allow for much power progression.

Second, the primary point of this change is not to nerf Foundry encounters. If that were the goal, it would have been much simpler to simply nerf the encounters, and we'd taken a more surgical approach to specific encounters. The aim is strictly to improve the reward side of the difficulty:reward ratio.

To use an example, consider a guild that primarily does Normal mode content and eventually progresses into Heroic. This guild may have been 6/7N Highmaul by early January; they ventured into Heroic and killed 2-3 bosses there, and then went back and finished off Mar'gok on Normal. Along the way, they also got some item level 670 loot from garrison mission caches. Now, Foundry comes out. Just because this group killed a couple of Heroic Highmaul bosses after two months in the zone doesn't suddenly make them a Heroic guild - they will, appropriately, begin in Normal Foundry. But their average item level with mostly 655 items (some 661 warforged), and some 670 items from Heroic Highmaul, is likely around 661 or 662 as a raid group. And that simply doesn't leave much room for meaningful reward. And replacing a 670 non-set piece with a 665 set piece is likely a power upgrade, but also does not feel particularly satisfying. You can change the difficulties in the example above, and we see the exact same situation with Heroic guilds coming into Heroic Foundry with an average item level in the 675+ range, which again didn't leave much room for improvement.

(Note that this logic really does not apply to Mythic Foundry, but once we're buffing loot from the other difficulties, we must also adjust Mythic in order to keep Mythic drops feeling like an appropriate upgrade over Heroic. Mythic Foundry is still plenty challenging and ranks among the overall hardest raid zones we've designed - an extra few item levels is not going to change that.)

Edit: And yes, the actual stats on the items are of course increasing along with the item level. The point is to improve the actual reward, not smoke and mirrors creating the illusion of one.
This article was originally published in forum thread: Blackrock Foundry, Crafted, and Apexis Gear - Item Level Increase started by chaud View original post
Comments 196 Comments
  1. Zhaine's Avatar
    Sweet buff
  1. Jimmyw's Avatar
    meh its just more itemlevel bloat....
  1. IIamaKing's Avatar
    Cool, I felt from the get go the ilvl boost from HM to BRF was too small.
  1. ThePants999's Avatar
    Guess we won't be returning to Mythic Highmaul then :-(
  1. Torian kel's Avatar
    Letting casuals get into mythic and killing bosses super easily yey .... Fuck that
  1. Spl4sh3r's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Torian kel View Post
    Letting casuals get into mythic and killing bosses super easily yey .... Fuck that
    You make it sounds like casuals can finish Mythic just with 5 more ilvl.
  1. IIamaKing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Torian kel View Post
    Letting casuals get into mythic and killing bosses super easily yey .... Fuck that
    If you think 5ilvls will boost a normal guild into mythic, you sir, are daft.

    Whats funny is you mythic chaps seem to think a large chunk of players even cares about your precious mythic mode, when in fact only ~5% of the players would even notice if it were removed from the game this very instant.
  1. DynastyZero's Avatar
    They should really drop the warforged idea next expansion, that's really the source of this 5 level item bloat.
  1. dirtside's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    If you think 5ilvls will boost a normal guild into mythic, you sir, are daft.

    Whats funny is you mythic chaps seem to think a large chunk of players even cares about your precious mythic mode, when in fact only ~5% of the players would even notice if it were removed from the game this very instant.
    True, but can you imagine how loud that 5% would scream? Martians would be all "What the hell was that noise?"
  1. Saicam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Torian kel View Post
    Letting casuals get into mythic and killing bosses super easily yey .... Fuck that
    Dude just quit with your wanna be elitist talk. It doesn't make you look cool. Just because the bump items up a few item levels doesn't mean mythic is going to get flooded. In case you did not read everything, bosses are not getting nerfed . So no reason to try to stroke your own ego.

    And I hate to tell you casuals are the main reason this game is still going now. I used to play in hardcore guilds and my main was created in 06 with almost 500 days total /played on that toon alone. well time change, but that doesn't mean your better than me now because I can't commit 5 plus nights raiding. I'm fine playing casual and raiding 2 nights a week. We are still hitting heroics and mythics.
  1. Dastreus's Avatar
    Sweet. At the moment, I'm at 646 itemlevel and just feel "meh" about doing BRF when I still need to finish my damn Legendary bullshit in Highmaul.
  1. Mathaios's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Torian kel View Post
    Letting casuals get into mythic and killing bosses super easily yey .... Fuck that
    Oh look a special snowflake doesnt want more people playing on his sandbox.
    And anyway, if you think 5ilvl means they will run mythic you probably dont even run mythic at all.
  1. Thepresident's Avatar
    they shod have made it 665-normal
    690-heroic
    715 mythic
    and ofc the tuning of boses a litle higher

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Mathaios View Post
    Oh look a special snowflake doesnt want more people playing on his sandbox.
    And anyway, if you think 5ilvl means they will run mythic you probably dont even run mythic at all.
    mythic progresion guilds wipe on 1% alot because they don t make any mestakes bu the fight is tuned for biger item level if black hand wodve had 1k more hp in p 3 the method video killwodve been a wipe
  1. Mortavius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Torian kel View Post
    Letting casuals get into mythic and killing bosses super easily yey .... Fuck that
    Poor little guy...wonder if we'll see a post from him next saying he's rage quitting and unsubing?

    I guess we could only hope for that...
  1. Buttonmasher's Avatar
    I can kind of see why they did this, actually. :I
  1. Mush's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Torian kel View Post
    Letting casuals get into mythic and killing bosses super easily yey .... Fuck that
    Yeah 5 item levels, now everyone will be 10/10
  1. PurpleMadness's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by omega8 View Post
    they shod have made it 665-normal
    690-heroic
    715 mythic
    and ofc the tuning of boses a litle higher
    And just trivialize Highmaul altogether? It's still the same tier, that would be too much.
  1. Maxie's Avatar
    I don't really like it since it makes M HM worth less.
  1. Jackelyn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DynastyZero View Post
    They should really drop the warforged idea next expansion, that's really the source of this 5 level item bloat.
    I disagree on scrapping the warforged gear, but they shouldn't have it on mythic at all... The idea of when I down a mythic boss and thinking "meh its not wf" is kinda discouraging, mythic loot should be the be all end all for the tier of raiding and not ruined by a chance of warforged.
  1. Fuzzah's Avatar
    lets fix itemlevel instead of fix frost dk:s brilliant idea blizzard! its more important!!!!! damn idiots

Site Navigation