Update (Wednesday 12:15 PM EDT): The Token price is going back up.
Update (Wednesday 11:15 PM EDT): The Token price has started to go back up for the first time since the decline started.

Patch 2.2 Key Features and Item Changes Guide

Deck Spotlight: Midrange Hunter, Card Design Competition #11, Sylvanas Lore Spotlight

Heroes of the Storm PTR, Shop Sales - Insectoid Zagara & Lumberjack Uther

Noblegarden 2015
Noblegarden is back once again and this year brings a few updates to the event. Check the guide on Icy Veins for the full details!

  • The Mystical Spring Bouquet is a new non-combat pet that will follow you around. You can purchase it for 100 x Noblegarden Chocolate.
  • New eggs such as Magnificently-Painted Egg have been added. These allow anyone who can see them to loot an item that sells for 90% of the gold of the original, making them another way to transfer gold between realms.



WoW Token Prices - Day 1
WoW Tokens came out today and had a slight spike in prices in the afternoon before the price started going down. Prices were initially adjusted hourly and now appear to be adjusted every 15 minutes. For the most part, prices are changing by 1% in either direction when they do change.

Don't see a chart? Enable javascript!
Changes to Conquest Catch-Up Cap
Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
As of this week’s reset, we’ve made a change to how the Conquest catch-up cap is calculated that should result in a 50% increase to the catch-up portion of the cap. We’re making this change because, while we still want there to be an incentive to play early and often, the amount of Conquest that a player could earn via that catch-up cap didn’t feel like enough once the PvP season had been active for a while.

To elaborate, the formula used to calculate a player’s catch-up cap is now:
Number of weeks passed in the season × 1500 - Total amount of Conquest earned this season

That number is then added to the weekly total cap of 1700. Note that, as of this post, Warlords Season 1 has been active for 18 weeks, which means the maximum possible catch-up cap for a player that has not earned any Conquest points this season is 28,700 Conquest.

We're looking into the reports that some players haven't had their catch-up cap increased. I'll update when I can.

Blue Posts
Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
Game Mechanics Arguments
Why is that? What makes mechanics in the game create feelings of injustice rather than just distaste?
I think it's mostly to do with ownership. You see the same thing with some movies, especially with popular movie franchises, that the dynamic of product creator and product consumer changes--and this is compounded when you factor in age and nostalgic factors. It's not just about making something to entertain for a couple hours anymore and a 'We hope you had fun!' and everyone moves on, it's had an impact on who they are, and it's something they've invested some portion of their life toward. In most cases you'll also find these things have a human element, where relationships are formed, experiences with friends are had, and memories made. When you're involved in creating the entertainment that defines a part of who someone is, and this is especially true of games and gamers, you're not just making something they can choose to buy or not, you're continually trying to deliver on a promise. It's usually not a promise anyone wrote down, or put on a website, but it's an expectation that this piece of their life won't betray them by becoming something else. All of this is sometimes explained or downplayed as entitlement, and I think that word is often used as a way to belittle people who rightfully have expectations--who have a deep and emotional connection to a life experience that just happens to be based around a piece of entertainment.

It's no small part of our job to ensure that when you see one of our game logos, or just the Blizzard logo, you know that when you pick up that box, or click on a link, it's going to be something that delivers on all those promises, and that those expectations are not only met but exceeded. It's a really difficult, and scary, and exciting, and wondrous obligation we have. And one that we really enjoy challenging ourselves with. Every day. (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)

Blue Tweets
Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
Art
I have to ask: Will vanilla armor/weapons have HD model? It's a lot of art work but we can use them fot the next 5-10 years.
Re-vamping the human/orc armor in WoD made sense for garrisons, but yeah, it's expensive, art-wise. Often rather make new stuff. (Muffinus)

Misc
Do you think ability and skill trumps the need for a college degree as a game designer, assuming you can produce very impressive
My *personal* opinion, speaking for myself, not on behalf of Blizzard, is 'generally, yes'. (Celestalon)

Warlords of Draenor Art
Today we have some of the art done for Warlords of Draenor by Vergne Fanny, one of Blizzard's Senior 3D Environment Artist. There are also lots of environment shots from popular places in Draenor that she worked on.

This article was originally published in forum thread: Noblegarden, WoW Token Prices, Conquest Catch-Up Cap, Blue Posts, Environment Art started by chaud View original post
Comments 93 Comments
  1. Saiboter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynnlagh View Post
    You don't farm gold in WoW anymore. Sure, you still can go and grind mobs for loot or farm old dungeons, but most of the gold you get is by playing the game. Even if you are not max level, you make tons of gold by leveling through dungeons, going into battlegrounds or questing. Or do you mean playing the game is boring?
    I made around 80k gold just leveling my toon from 85 to 100 at the start of WoD. How is that "farming"?

    as said before:
    Besides, if new players in WoW are like this, they will cancel their sub after the first half year. How does this benefit WoW?

    And it does effect everyone in WoW. If people are ok with buying gold, they will be ok with buying mounts, buying gear and buying achievements. Parts of this are already OK for most people. You now can buy gold from other players and buy endgame gear from the auction house. You can buy mounts for achievements and don't have to work for them. You can buy yourself a way into the game.
    How is that good for a game?
    I don't know what other players do, but I can never have enough gold in WoW.
    I already bought and sold spectral tigers and other stuff some time ago, but there is still much I would buy for gold.

    I stopped playing WoW, because I did not have enough gold and acquiring gold is too expensive.
    I don't want to work in WoW to get gold, I work >40h a week.
    When I play WoW I want to relax and have fun.

    For me, fun is:
    Doing old raids (and being strong enough to do that).
    Doing current dungeons / raids solo (and being strong enough to do that).
    Doing some PVP without getting killed and flamed all the time (need some equip first).
    Buying stuff in the AH to get stronger.
    Buying other stuff, that is fun (mounts, pets, etc).
    Playing all my chars and bring the professions to max. Playing is more fun when you die less (better equip from AH or own prof).
    Doing the current end content. Since I cannot spend xxx hours each week, I need to buy the items from the AH.
    Discovering the World of Warcraft (flying around, doing some random stuff).

    And this is why I am playing Hearthstone and HotS now.
    There I can achieve more in less time.
  1. Vargur's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZwuckeL View Post
    The token price is developing exactly as I predicted before it went live. In the beginning there will be a small increase in price because of the few hyped people with lots of ingame gold to spare who thought the price would SKYROCKET. So they all bought 1 or 2 years worth of tokens in the first few hours which led to the price increase. Now all those plebs have their tokens and the market is ready for the normal demand, which is WAY smaller at 30k/token then in the first few hours. The token price will continue to drop until it reaches a point of 15-20k / each.

    Many people here have overestimated how many people actually have a lot of gold ingame, which are really just very few. Even if you're in a raiding guild with 30 people and everyone has 500k gold. You need to understand that that's like 30 people in a server population of 15000. And those 30 people all only need 1 token each month. There are WAY more casuals who buy those tokens for real money than people here can imagine.

    I'm satisfied tho that by not being able to make an educated guess many people have bought years worth of tokens overpriced.

    edit: I'm only laughing at those with thousands of gold who thought they were smart when buying bulks of tokens in the very beginning. Shows you don't actually have to be smart or understand basic economics to be rich in wow.
    The prices won't fall for much longer, since supply will be smaller and smaller. The price is based on SUPPLY and demand. It will rise again.
  1. Othraerir's Avatar
    how do you buy a token from the ah if you aren't currently subscribed? i read somewhere you could do it from your account management on battle.net, but couldn't find it.
  1. Raldazzar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZwuckeL View Post
    The token price is developing exactly as I predicted before it went live. In the beginning there will be a small increase in price because of the few hyped people with lots of ingame gold to spare who thought the price would SKYROCKET. So they all bought 1 or 2 years worth of tokens in the first few hours which led to the price increase. Now all those plebs have their tokens and the market is ready for the normal demand, which is WAY smaller at 30k/token then in the first few hours. The token price will continue to drop until it reaches a point of 15-20k / each.

    Many people here have overestimated how many people actually have a lot of gold ingame, which are really just very few. Even if you're in a raiding guild with 30 people and everyone has 500k gold. You need to understand that that's like 30 people in a server population of 15000. And those 30 people all only need 1 token each month. There are WAY more casuals who buy those tokens for real money than people here can imagine.

    I'm satisfied tho that by not being able to make an educated guess many people have bought years worth of tokens overpriced.

    edit: I'm only laughing at those with thousands of gold who thought they were smart when buying bulks of tokens in the very beginning. Shows you don't actually have to be smart or understand basic economics to be rich in wow.
    I've been selling time cards consistently on wow for ages now through a private selling group on fb.. for 50-70k for 60 days.. so I'd say the price will hover around there :P (25-35k) they actually priced them fairly well.

    And lol at people thinking this is how it will stay forever. this is a gameplay token. you need one, you buy one. simple. if you have no irl cash.. you use gold.
  1. Banquetto's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Othraerir View Post
    how do you buy a token from the ah if you aren't currently subscribed? i read somewhere you could do it from your account management on battle.net, but couldn't find it.
    You launch the game, click "Reactivate Account" on the character screen, and you get the choice to either buy 30 days gametime with gold, or get sent to the battle.net store to enter your credit card details.
  1. elvor0's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynnlagh View Post
    I still think that a person who buys 1 month gametime for 20$ is an idiot. Even when he gets 40k Gold in return. Looks like WoW has a lot of people who have no idea of the real worth of real money.
    Considering noone is buying gametime for $20, that's a very "odd" statement. They're buying gold for $20.
  1. mmoc4ec7d51a68's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Saiboter View Post
    I don't know what other players do, but I can never have enough gold in WoW.
    I already bought and sold spectral tigers and other stuff some time ago, but there is still much I would buy for gold.

    I stopped playing WoW, because I did not have enough gold and acquiring gold is too expensive.
    I don't want to work in WoW to get gold, I work >40h a week.
    When I play WoW I want to relax and have fun.

    For me, fun is:
    Doing old raids (and being strong enough to do that).
    Doing current dungeons / raids solo (and being strong enough to do that).
    Doing some PVP without getting killed and flamed all the time (need some equip first).
    Buying stuff in the AH to get stronger.
    Buying other stuff, that is fun (mounts, pets, etc).
    Playing all my chars and bring the professions to max. Playing is more fun when you die less (better equip from AH or own prof).
    Doing the current end content. Since I cannot spend xxx hours each week, I need to buy the items from the AH.
    Discovering the World of Warcraft (flying around, doing some random stuff).

    And this is why I am playing Hearthstone and HotS now.
    There I can achieve more in less time.
    Supply and demand. That's it. Nothing more to say. It is up to the community how much they will cost.

    There will be a ppint where supply meets demand and that point may vary over time. I think some people will make a lot of money by predicting the price.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Idletime View Post
    I dunno, first post made me laugh a little. Those with the gold to spend on the tokens bought in as early as possible because of anticipated demand and fear it was going to go up like in most every MMO that's implemented this - you want to be on the ground floor. The throttle was at 10 tokens per person, which at 30k was 300k per gold seller. As someone with millions laying around, this was hardly a dent, and there are many of us today. The adjustment, at this point 5k per token, is not that big a hit, it's 50k total. Personally, I look at 50k like the majority of players look at 5k. Just economies of scale. Sort of like when Tiger Woods wrecks a $50k automobile, I can go win one match and replace that 100 times over, so it's not a big deal to me. If you have the actual talent for making gold, you can always replace it, whereas most normal people would scream about losing it. I know I lost half a million in the lead up to the release of BRF speculating in one market, I replaced that loss 7x over so far.

    The tokens will eventually grow in value, right now because of throttles on purchases they are going to be artificial lows. But once everyone who actually has the gold has all the gametime they can stand, we will run out of need for the gametime, unless the game will be around for the next 20 years. That means you can expect the price to rise. Over time it will solidify to a price point, and Blizz will insure this. If you're rooting for your local millionaire to fail, I assure you that you're barking up the wrong tree. Unlike you, we have the knowledge to make it all back, whereas the buyers are essentially giving all that gold back to us. Don't worry, your overlords won't look badly on you for hating us, we are the ones in charge of this, and we have it under control.
    So less demand leads to higher prices?

    Really? You really believe this?

    If the
  1. Prfct's Avatar
    Step 1: Limit token quantity to 10 per account.
    Step 2: Discount Battlechest 50%.
    Step 3: Watch people with money getting new accounts to bypass limit.
    Step 4: Watch number of subscriptions as they inflate artificially and they can say: 'WoW still has X millions of players!'
    Step 5: Profit.
  1. Wythel's Avatar
    Conclusion : people have way too much real money to spend... Gratz Blizzard
  1. Zandalarian Paladin's Avatar
    Glad I got one at the apex. Though I certainly did not expect it to deflate this quickly.

    24k is way too low, but it still make sense. The curve is the same as I predicted earlier, albeit much less higher.

    Oh well, bought one yesterday, certainly am not going to buy another one anytime soon. There's a difference between investing and throwing money away.
  1. avolation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Idletime View Post
    I dunno, first post made me laugh a little. Those with the gold to spend on the tokens bought in as early as possible because of anticipated demand and fear it was going to go up like in most every MMO that's implemented this - you want to be on the ground floor. The throttle was at 10 tokens per person, which at 30k was 300k per gold seller. As someone with millions laying around, this was hardly a dent, and there are many of us today. The adjustment, at this point 5k per token, is not that big a hit, it's 50k total. Personally, I look at 50k like the majority of players look at 5k. Just economies of scale. Sort of like when Tiger Woods wrecks a $50k automobile, I can go win one match and replace that 100 times over, so it's not a big deal to me. If you have the actual talent for making gold, you can always replace it, whereas most normal people would scream about losing it. I know I lost half a million in the lead up to the release of BRF speculating in one market, I replaced that loss 7x over so far.

    The tokens will eventually grow in value, right now because of throttles on purchases they are going to be artificial lows. But once everyone who actually has the gold has all the gametime they can stand, we will run out of need for the gametime, unless the game will be around for the next 20 years. That means you can expect the price to rise. Over time it will solidify to a price point, and Blizz will insure this. If you're rooting for your local millionaire to fail, I assure you that you're barking up the wrong tree. Unlike you, we have the knowledge to make it all back, whereas the buyers are essentially giving all that gold back to us. Don't worry, your overlords won't look badly on you for hating us, we are the ones in charge of this, and we have it under control.

    This post right here blows my mind.
  1. flinchy's Avatar
    just got told it was only 23.5k

    bought 3 months worth. could just about buy 10 months worth, but I think i'll wait and see
    hilariously cheap. guess too many people got excited, created an oversupply.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Idletime View Post
    I dunno, first post made me laugh a little. Those with the gold to spend on the tokens bought in as early as possible because of anticipated demand and fear it was going to go up like in most every MMO that's implemented this - you want to be on the ground floor. The throttle was at 10 tokens per person, which at 30k was 300k per gold seller. As someone with millions laying around, this was hardly a dent, and there are many of us today. The adjustment, at this point 5k per token, is not that big a hit, it's 50k total. Personally, I look at 50k like the majority of players look at 5k. Just economies of scale. Sort of like when Tiger Woods wrecks a $50k automobile, I can go win one match and replace that 100 times over, so it's not a big deal to me. If you have the actual talent for making gold, you can always replace it, whereas most normal people would scream about losing it. I know I lost half a million in the lead up to the release of BRF speculating in one market, I replaced that loss 7x over so far.

    The tokens will eventually grow in value, right now because of throttles on purchases they are going to be artificial lows. But once everyone who actually has the gold has all the gametime they can stand, we will run out of need for the gametime, unless the game will be around for the next 20 years. That means you can expect the price to rise. Over time it will solidify to a price point, and Blizz will insure this. If you're rooting for your local millionaire to fail, I assure you that you're barking up the wrong tree. Unlike you, we have the knowledge to make it all back, whereas the buyers are essentially giving all that gold back to us. Don't worry, your overlords won't look badly on you for hating us, we are the ones in charge of this, and we have it under control.
    No, once people stop buying, supply exceeds demand even FURTHER.. and to promote buying, price must drop.

    the price then falls to a point where no one will spend $20 on it, and then price rises... eventually, (possibly already) equilibrium is found.

    I'm with you though... No i'm not a multi millionaire in WoW, but i've got enough gold i can easily pay for 12+ months of subscription already... except I won't, i want to leave enough that i can grow it further lol.
  1. Igzorn's Avatar
    supply and demand in a nutshell all those poor sod´s who wahnted cash in in the first hours got burned.
    lets see how long it takes till the market oversaturation is gone an the prices get "static" .

    lol never thought i would use such words outside Rl and EVE and than for WoW of all places. XD

    nice art btw.
  1. Total Crica's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wythel View Post
    Conclusion : people have way too much real money to spend... Gratz Blizzard
    having alot of money to spend isn't a bad thing - spending it on things that improve nothing for anyone would be a bad thing....
  1. Dawnseven's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by azurrei View Post
    Even for me, someone who did not buy even close to half of 20 tokens, 600k is about 45-50 days worth of follower missions spending about 45-60 min a day flipping gold missions on 13 100's (I track this in a spreadsheet for fun...)
    I'd love to see the format for your spreadsheet. I have 15 myself and would like to do something like that. I use the Accountant addon, but it doesn't quite cut it.
  1. thatguy181's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by huldu View Post
    Still a bit too early to tell what will happen. Prices might climb up once people wake up. I'm somewhat glad to see the price drop, makes it a bit easier for the more "casual" players to obtain them if they choose to. 30k might not seem like a lot to many of you, but it is quite a bit for the average player. When you think about heirloom upgrades, raiding, buying equipment and what not, the costs do add up. This is especially true since most people don't really like to spend hours at the auction house playing that game. But like I said, it's a wee bit too early to see how things turn out. It'll be more "exact" in a few months when things finally settle down.

    I'd be surprised to see them drop below 20k however, that's seems like a long shot, but you could be right. Even if they only sell for 15k they are guaranteed 30k right? - At least for the moment until blizzard changes the system and allows players to set the prices. Not looking good for those guys that expected to get 60k for a token, lol.
    It's only guaranteed 30k if you listed when Blizzard gave you the quote of 30k. If you were to list now, you'd get whatever the quote is NOW. Last I heard that number is around 20k. Can't find any site that has real time token updates at the moment though.
  1. Moejahi3d's Avatar
    I don't believe for 1 minute the price is based on actual supply/demand. It's just blizz setting the prices, there is no way there are more tokens for sale than people who are buying them with gold. Who the hell would buy a 20usd token and sell it for 20-30k gold? People who want to buy gold already do that through private sellers, you can buy 100k gold for 30euro, 35-40if you go through the mainstream sites. They don;t even ban you for it, they ban botters/hackers who use stolen cc's. Everyone wants to buy the tokens for gametime, havent heard of many who are wanting to sell them but somehow the price keeps going down :S

    Only explanation would be stolen cc's mass buying tokens and selling them for gold so they can sell that for real money and launder the money that way.
  1. risingforce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moejahi3d View Post
    Who the hell would buy a 20usd token and sell it for 20-30k gold? People who want to buy gold already do that through private sellers, you can buy 100k gold for 30euro, 35-40if you go through the mainstream sites.
    The tokens are aimed at a wider audience than people who buy gold thru third party sites.

    The tokens are a legitimate gold source.

    The 'others' will continue to purchase thru 3rd party websites, yes, meanwhile the Tokens are aimed at a wider audience.
  1. c000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prfct View Post
    Step 1: Limit token quantity to 10 per account.
    Step 2: Discount Battlechest 50%.
    Step 3: Watch people with money getting new accounts to bypass limit.
    Step 4: Watch number of subscriptions as they inflate artificially and they can say: 'WoW still has X millions of players!'
    Step 5: Profit.
    sounds about right lol
  1. Insofin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thatguy181 View Post
    It's only guaranteed 30k if you listed when Blizzard gave you the quote of 30k. If you were to list now, you'd get whatever the quote is NOW. Last I heard that number is around 20k. Can't find any site that has real time token updates at the moment though.
    wowtoken.info They're saying it's updated every 15 minutes: twitter.com/WoWTokens

    What a fail, 20$ for 20k gold...

    Quote Originally Posted by risingforce View Post
    The tokens are aimed at a wider audience than people who buy gold thru third party sites.

    The tokens are a legitimate gold source.

    The 'others' will continue to purchase thru 3rd party websites, yes, meanwhile the Tokens are aimed at a wider audience.
    If the token is aimed to a wider audience, the demand should be higher. However, the price is dropping. And a price drop of the token means the offer is higher than the demand. I don't believe people are massively buying wow tokens for selling, not when the prices keep dropping constantly (meaning their tokens are not being bought).

Site Navigation