Sotanathor, Ana-Mouz, Burning Crusade Timewalking, Deepwind Dunk Brawl

Recruit-A-Friend Changes Feedback
Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
Thanks for the feedback and thoughts so far.

The Refer-A-Friend system is intended as an option for players who want to invite a friend to play WoW with them and experience the game together. When it was first introduced, we gave it a hefty bonus to experience gain as a way for both players to reach endgame content as quickly as possible.

Nowadays, purchasing the latest WoW expansion includes a free character boost, so the need to rush your friend to max level is no longer there; you can jump into the latest content with your friend right away. This meant that the only players who were using the Refer-A-Friend system in its intended way – leveling alongside their friend – were those who had decided that they wanted to experience that content together. We realized that, for those players, the 300% XP bonus was a disservice; we were cutting that shared experience short by making them finish it far too quickly.

Now, we certainly recognize that the majority of people using the Refer-A-Friend system before these changes were doing so in order to level alts quickly. If anything, we take that as a strong indication that the system needed to change: the best method to level a character in WoW shouldn’t be “buy a new copy of the game, put it on a separate account, send it a Refer-A-Friend invite, level a new character, and then transfer that character to your primary account when you’re finished.” That’s messy, at best.

That said, we’re certainly taking the feedback about the rate of leveling alts into account as we move forward with the game’s development. We’ve been happy with the changes so far, but if leveling is too slow, we’d rather address that in the game itself than have Refer-A-Friend be some kind of bizarre workaround to an outstanding issue.

Overwatch League Update
Overwatch League continues this week with the Outlaws making a comeback.




This article was originally published in forum thread: Recruit-A-Friend Changes Feedback started by chaud View original post
Comments 151 Comments
  1. Fleugen's Avatar
    See, this is entirely reasonable.

    I know everyone is still gonna come in here and say "You're naive if you believe Blizzard" because they want so desperately to believe they're trying to push boosts, but frankly there are a lot easier ways to do that than nerfing recruit a friend.

    This has nothing to do with boosts, and frankly, they're right - Recruit a friend never should have been used in the way it was and needed to change.
  1. Tiase's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleugen View Post
    See, this is entirely reasonable.

    I know everyone is still gonna come in here and say "You're naive if you believe Blizzard" because they want so desperately to believe they're trying to push boosts, but frankly there are a lot easier ways to do that than nerfing recruit a friend.

    This has nothing to do with boosts, and frankly, they're right - Recruit a friend never should have been used in the way it was and needed to change.
    they just want to push people to buy their shitty boosts that has that ridiculous price tag of 60 euro
  1. theWocky's Avatar
    I got the remainder of my alts to level 90 just in time! I bought the RAF on two accounts just for this. I then bought a third account to boost to 100 to drag them through dungeons till 90. Personally, I think everyone should just start at 98 or something in new expansion. Will be more people in the zones with auto-scaling in effect. You learn absolutely nothing while levelling after 1st character. It's just a slog.
  1. Daemos daemonium's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiase View Post
    they just want to push people to buy their shitty boosts that has that ridiculous price tag of 60 euro
    I do believe you missed the point.
  1. bibby's Avatar
    IMO, there should be a boost to EXP gain if you have a character at max level of current content(losing it when BfA launches and gaining it again at new cap).. Ie., 5-10% boost per character that you have on the account at max level with a max of 12 or whatever the character limit on 1 server is so that it doesn't scale infinitely.
  1. Gorthezar's Avatar
    I still smell greed. all of these changes are anti-EXP. I have no problem with the new combat times but I have a friend who was the shining example of someone who would rather level than spend money even having a well paying job, After many hours of discussion in discord we all decided leveling in its current state is NOT worth the time invested not only that I would argue the new problem is this feeling of making no progress.

    Not my discord but I've seen hardly no positive opinions about this patch.


  1. Fleugen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiase View Post
    they just want to push people to buy their shitty boosts that has that ridiculous price tag of 60 euro
    >literally said people were going to say this in the post
    >say it in response to this post

    I love when people refuse to read.

    No, they're not trying to push boosts by nerfing recruit a friend. Recruit a Friend isn't your personal leveling tool and should never have been used that way.

    Frankly, they should have done this years ago.
  1. Daemos daemonium's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bibby View Post
    IMO, there should be a boost to EXP gain if you have a character at max level of current content(losing it when BfA launches and gaining it again at new cap).. Ie., 5-10% boost per character that you have on the account at max level with a max of 12 or whatever the character limit on 1 server is so that it doesn't scale infinitely.
    Isn’t that what hairlooms are suppose to be a bonus to leveling because you have a max level toon.
  1. Siglius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorthezar View Post
    I still smell greed. all of these changes are anti-EXP. I have no problem with the new combat times but I have a friend who was the shining example of someone who would rather level than spend money even having a well paying job, After many hours of discussion in discord we all decided leveling in its current state is NOT worth the time invested not only that I would argue the new problem is this feeling of making no progress.

    Not my discord but I've seen hardly no positive opinions about this patch.


    I love the changes.

    Now you've seen positive feedback.

    Also I've got no idea what he did to spend 4h going from 19-23. I spent that time going from 1-30~ish.
  1. Fleugen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorthezar View Post
    I still smell greed. all of these changes are anti-EXP. I have no problem with the new combat times but I have a friend who was the shining example of someone who would rather level than spend money even having a well paying job, After many hours of discussion in discord we all decided leveling in its current state is NOT worth the time invested not only that I would argue the new problem is this feeling of making no progress.

    Not my discord or tweet but I've seen hardly no positive opinions about this patch.
    Frankly, I've been ignoring MMO-Champion for awhile, but I've had nothing but positive opinions about the patch, which is rare for me.

    I leveled a priest up to 15 through Tirisfal Glades. I always finish that zone anyway, and normally don't get much past 13. So that was a net gain in XP.

    I then ran a dungeon as a warrior tank, at 27. I got almost two full levels from BFD, and that's with only one optional boss kill.

    Frankly, I don't care how long it takes to get to max level, as long as you actually have to play the game a little while on the way there. And even just a slight health increase has done exactly that to the game, and that's more than enough.

    The slowed experience has also just made everything feel smoother instead of instantaneous. Yeah, it's a shock to the system compared to pre-nerf, but I don't consider it bad because of that.
  1. Jaigar's Avatar
    Once again have to call bullshit. You can't have your cake and eat it Blizzard. You can't say that you don't want a rush experience for new players then turn around and effectively disable hierloom XP bonus for those players leveling with their friends. What does hierlooms have to do with new player experience?

    Boosts are too expensive, and every move you've made regarding leveling in 7.3.5 pushes current players into buying boosts to level alts. Why the hell is it $60, the price of the retail game, to get a character boosted in a game you also pay a monthly sub on, and also have to purchase expansions for every couple years?
  1. Potentio's Avatar
    Wait a minute, did they just confirm that BfA will indeed include a boost to level 110 for one char?
  1. Abillioncats's Avatar
    Just use heirlooms if you want to level fast fuckers.
  1. SheepHunter's Avatar
    So blizz nerfed recruit a friend, making leveling allied races even more pain. But it doesnt stop there, if their goal is to increase the amount of character boosts sold then they are on the wrong path. Since almost ALL people who gonna level a allied race will do it for the transmog armor, and it was stated that you CANNOT use boost on allied races to gain the transmog rewards. So this is a double edge sword. No1 wins in this case.

    And if you want a allied race and dont care about the armor its cheaper to just race change a currently existing alt rather than boosting one.
  1. Fleugen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Potentio View Post
    Wait a minute, did they just confirm that BfA will indeed include a boost to level 110 for one char?
    This has been the case for the past two expansions.

    There has never been any reason to doubt BfA would include a boost. (Except naysayers saying "but they're pushing boosts" which has always been based on flimsy premises to begin with)
  1. Daemos daemonium's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaigar View Post
    Once again have to call bullshit. You can't have your cake and eat it Blizzard. You can't say that you don't want a rush experience for new players then turn around and effectively disable hierloom XP bonus for those players leveling with their friends. What does hierlooms have to do with new player experience?

    Boosts are too expensive, and every move you've made regarding leveling in 7.3.5 pushes current players into buying boosts to level alts. Why the hell is it $60, the price of the retail game, to get a character boosted in a game you also pay a monthly sub on, and also have to purchase expansions for every couple years?
    What does hairloom exp have to do with leveling with friends? If you raf your both at 50% so you don’t put level each other.

    And you said it your self why are boost 60 bucks? If they wanted to sell more they could cut the price and many more people would buy them. The selling boost argument just doesn’t make any sense as boost have been in for a while and they haven’t changed the leveling speed till they are going to release an expan with rewards for leveling the normal way.
  1. Abillioncats's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SheepHunter View Post
    So blizz nerfed recruit a friend, making leveling allied races even more pain. But it doesnt stop there, if their goal is to increase the amount of character boosts sold then they are on the wrong path. Since almost ALL people who gonna level a allied race will do it for the transmog armor, and it was stated that you CANNOT use boost on allied races to gain the transmog rewards. So this is a double edge sword. No1 wins in this case.

    And if you want a allied race and dont care about the armor its cheaper to just race change a currently existing alt rather than boosting one.
    Hmmm it almost sounds like blizzard wants people to level characters the normal way, how odd.
  1. Aeula's Avatar
    We're beginning to break them. Hopefully they'll add an exp boost.

    It doesn't even have to be an easy to get one, 100% bonus exp on a class you already have at max level. 200% for completing lore master. Another 100% when all your classes are at level cap.

    Simple. Give people an option to turn the exp rates off and boom. Everyone is happy.
  1. Tonkaden's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleugen View Post
    See, this is entirely reasonable.

    I know everyone is still gonna come in here and say "You're naive if you believe Blizzard" because they want so desperately to believe they're trying to push boosts, but frankly there are a lot easier ways to do that than nerfing recruit a friend.

    This has nothing to do with boosts, and frankly, they're right - Recruit a friend never should have been used in the way it was and needed to change.
    The funny part is, is I feel this is just players bitching to bitch. Please, if you use this system, show proof. I bet most cant because they aren't using it. Its more a cause of bitching just because its been the new, cool thing to do for a few years now.
  1. Jaigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    What does hairloom exp have to do with leveling with friends? If you raf your both at 50% so you don’t put level each other.

    And you said it your self why are boost 60 bucks? If they wanted to sell more they could cut the price and many more people would buy them. The selling boost argument just doesn’t make any sense as boost have been in for a while and they haven’t changed the leveling speed till they are going to release an expan with rewards for leveling the normal way.
    Hierlooms and RaF no longer stack in experience gain. IE if you have hierlooms, you really don't gain any increased XP with RaF.

Site Navigation