Battle for Azeroth Alpha - Build 26032

Hunter Pets in Battle for Azeroth
Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
As we’ve kicked off the Battle for Azeroth Alpha, we’ve seen a lot of discussion about the new way Hunter pets work. While we’re by no means finished, we have reached a place where we want to share some insight into our plans and explain some of what you might see in development as Alpha continues.

Our primary thoughts on pets going forward:

  • Move past the idea of a DPS/Tank pet specialization - In Battle for Azeroth, all pets will have equal damage, health, and armor. All can tank or DPS equally. Choosing to put a particular pet into “Tank spec” feels outdated, so we’re going to shift all pets to a setup that will work as though they’re specced into both Ferocity and Tenacity (in Legion terms). All offensive and defensive passive abilities such as Blood of the Rhino and Combat Training will be rolled into every pet by default. Charge will be removed, and all pets will have Growl and Dash/Swoop. Some spec-specific actives will be redistributed where appropriate. We are keeping the names Ferocity, Tenacity, and Cunning as the broad groups that all families fall into. They are no longer changeable, and each has a new passive and active ability that are useful in almost any situation.
  • Maintain and/or reinstate pet family uniqueness - Pet family flavor is part of what makes selecting a companion unique and special, and want to emphasize that even more. A special ability has been added to all pet families that were missing one. Exotic Pets still have their unique ability (like Surface Trot) in addition to a new ability. Pure flavor abilities that many pets have are also staying like Trick and Rest.
  • Expanding access to Bloodlust, and the removal of Battle Res from pets - In Legion, all Hunters have access to Bloodlust and Battle Res, but they only exist among a handful of families, which leads to very narrow options. To that end, Bloodlust will be available on roughly a third of the tamable pet families rather than just two. In a world where we are proliferating abilities to many families, our first inclination was to add Battle Res to a separate third of those families. After seeing that landscape, it felt odd to fully embrace Resurrection as part of the Hunter kit. Further, moving into Battle for Azeroth, we are solidifying Bloodlust and Battle Res as the strong shared cooldowns that a group can bring - one offense, one defense. In that world, Hunters having access to both of the super powerful group benefits didn’t feel appropriate.
  • A variety of pet ability packages - It’s important to acknowledge that some hunters want to maximize their impact with their pet, while others are collectors who want a pet for every occasion. There should be opportunities to cleverly swap from one pet to another in a given situation and reap the benefit. At the same time, the Hunter who has grown attached to their spider named Fluffy should feel effective across the game. We’re going to try to ensure that every pet package is attractive, with a unique combination of benefits that work in many situations.

Here are some specifics of the Battle for Azeroth design for Hunter pets:

There are currently 51 pet families, and each family will be categorized as Ferocity, Tenacity, or Cunning. Each will have an active and a passive, and the active will be a Hunter class button that changes contextually with your active pet.

  • Cunning
    • Master’s Call (Active – a friendly target and your pet are immune to root and moment impairing effects for 4 seconds with a 45 second cooldown)
    • Pathfinding (Passive - 8% movement speed for you and your pet)

Each pet family will get one of six different abilities, and each ability will have a unique name themed to the family. Precedented abilities such as Ankle Crack - 50% Snare, Monstrous Bite - Healing Reduction Debuff, Shell Shield – 50% Reduced Damage Taken, Agile Reflexes - 30% Dodge, and Thick Hide – Reduced Damage Taken at Low Health already exist in the game, and we’re exploring adding something similar to Tranquilizing Shot to the list.

While this does create a landscape where there may only be a handful of families that exactly fit the combination of tools you prefer, each family was chosen with variety as a premium. There are winged creatures, predators, grazers, and more represented across as many abilities as possible, while keeping them thematically appropriate.

For two specific examples: a Spirit Beast in Battle for Azeroth still has Spirit Mend and Spirit Walk, and will gain Endurance Training and Survival of the Fittest. They also have a new ability, Spirit Shock, that dispels magic and soothes enraged enemies. Cats, on the other hand, gain Catlike Reflexes – a 30% dodge cooldown – in addition to Primal Rage and Predator’s Thirst. Both pets have equal damage, health, and armor – both can tank or DPS equally.

Nowadays, only about half of the pet families out there have a useful ability, and we want to improve on that. In Battle for Azeroth, Bloodlust will be much more prominent, so Hunters should no longer feel bound to Core Hounds and Nether Rays as their best options. Most importantly, these changes should result in a pet landscape where all pets can serve as dps or tank as well as they could in Legion.

Please remember that all of the above, especially the numbers, are subject to change as we test in the Battle for Azeroth Alpha. Feel free to discuss anything related to Hunter pets here. We really appreciate your feedback!

Mobile/Web Auction House Update
Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
Just letting you all know that we are working on a hotfix at the moment to re-enable the Web and Mobile AH.

Due to changes made in 7.3.5, players will be need to have logged in to the game since the patch launch in order to be able to access the Mobile AH once this hotfix is live. Just for some additional clarity, these database changes were why we disabled the tools on the launch of 7.3.5 and why it took us a little bit to update them.

Soon as I'm aware that this is live I'll update the thread.
This article was originally published in forum thread: Hunter Pets in Battle for Azeroth, Auction House API Update started by chaud View original post
Comments 103 Comments
  1. MiiiMiii's Avatar
    Concidering MM will now be petless, they are the only Hunter spec that can't bring Bloodlust?
  1. ManiaCCC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MiiiMiii View Post
    Concidering MM will now be petless, they are the only Hunter spec that can't bring Bloodlust?
    They CAN'T have pet at all?
  1. Kaito92's Avatar
    Cant they just upgrade all pet AIs?

    I mean maybe thats my imagination but im playing a unholy dk since a couple of weeks and the ghoul behave likes something straight of vanilla.
  1. Sonol's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodnickel View Post
    Lol, really dude, if you were going to do that you might as well make all dots and hots only tick when in los of the caster. Does that really make sense to you?

    It's pretty obvious you're the salty one here.
    Once you los the caster, the dots/hots expire, you can even drop combat. You can't do the same with pets when the hunter is in range and doesn't cancel pet attack. Your argument is invalid.
  1. Killyox's Avatar
    So taking away Gust of Wind from Ele sham because it's supposedly similar to blink is OK but making bloodlust even more available is not.

    Bl should be back to sham only
  1. Sonol's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Killyox View Post
    So taking away Gust of Wind from Ele sham because it's supposedly similar to blink is OK but making bloodlust even more available is not.

    Bl should be back to sham only
    It would be mandatory to bring a shaman to every single group. It hurts small groups the most, aka M+. A shaman spot should be reserved every single time you start any kind of group.

    Back in the days, when BL was only a shaman thing, the game was not so sophisticated, only one kind of competitive pve group content existed (raids).

    Now we have timers to beat, every single % of dps to squeeze out of the group and a BL ability is must.
  1. ManiaCCC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Killyox View Post
    So taking away Gust of Wind from Ele sham because it's supposedly similar to blink is OK but making bloodlust even more available is not.

    Bl should be back to sham only
    Again, bloodlust is already baseline, if you want call it that, for hunter. And it is not the same. Lust is basically mandatory ability for any pve group content. There is no way around it. They could give it to just shaman's and it would fit somehow into "bring the class, not the player" philosophy..but it would be too much, wouldn't be? "Bring some tank, healer, shaman and some dps" .

    Anyway, I think they should remove lust altogether or scale it back to affect just Shaman only - or spread bloodlust to more classes. 3 for now is sufficient probably.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonol View Post
    Once you los the caster, the dots/hots expire, you can even drop combat. You can't do the same with pets when the hunter is in range and doesn't cancel pet attack. Your argument is invalid.
    Also you can't run away from dots...so no, argument is not invalid.
  1. Sonol's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ManiaCCC View Post
    Also you can't run away from dots...so no, argument is not invalid.
    You are clueless and just try to defend a broken mechanism that makes hunters superior in los situations. Read again: dots expire over time once you are not in los of the caster and he/she can't reapply them, also you can drop combat. You can't do the same with a hunter pet, because it follows you all the time, regardless you are in los of the hunter or not.

    I have no idea what do you want with running away when you are within the range of the ranged specs, ofc they can reach you - except in a los situation, where hunters still can keep up combat and attack with the pet.

    You can't beat this argument and you know it. So a pet should stop attacking after a few seconds, once a hunter is not in los of the target.
  1. ManiaCCC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonol View Post
    You are clueless and just try to defend a broken mechanism that makes hunters superior in los situations. Read again: dots expire over time once you are not in los of the caster and he/she can't reapply them, also you can drop combat. You can't do the same with a hunter pet, because it follows you all the time, regardless you are in los of the hunter or not.

    I have no idea what do you want with running away when you are within the range of the ranged specs, ofc they can reach you - except in a los situation, where hunters still can keep up combat and attack with the pet.

    You can't beat this argument and you know it. So a pet should stop attacking after a few seconds, once a hunter is not in los of the target.
    Calling me clueless and still not writing a single reason, why you feel it is broken system. So let's make some assumptions here too. You are so bad, that hunter sending pat at you and do nothing else will kill you. Am I right? I guess so.

    Look..if you want change some mechanics, you have to say why you feel it hurts the game. Hunters are not super strong in PvP and if someone will die just by pet alone, it tells more about the "victim" not the hunter class. Also, if hunter is just sending pet and do nothing else, it is hurting it's own team so this gameplay is pretty much worth nothing. The best use of pet you may not like is to split your dps, doing some ranged damage and let pet chase down healer or something like that. That works and you may not like it but still how it is bad for the game?

    Pet running back because of los would be so disconnecting for hunter player. This would actually hurt the game - it would be broken for many - because logic wouldn't just apply. "Why my pet is coming back when opponent just run into that small hut"? So how it works in the game makes perfect sense. Only question is, if this mechanics broken or unfair? If yes, tell me how please..

    Also comparing dots and pets... dots has duration, pets have health bar, you can dispel dots, which is pretty rare, you can run from pets, slow them, stun them, fear them..basically anything.. which is very common.

    I can beat your argument anyday buddy. And based on how you react on whole "hunter pet issue" I would probably mop you with holy priest.
  1. Vutar's Avatar
    At this point hunter pets are just boring. They all feel the same with different skins.
  1. Sonol's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ManiaCCC View Post
    Pet running back because of los would be so disconnecting for hunter player. This would actually hurt the game - it would be broken for many - because logic wouldn't just apply. "Why my pet is coming back when opponent just run into that small hut"? So how it works in the game makes perfect sense. Only question is, if this mechanics broken or unfair? If yes, tell me how please..
    You answered your own question:
    Quote Originally Posted by ManiaCCC View Post
    Also comparing dots and pets... dots has duration, pets have health bar, you can dispel dots, which is pretty rare, you can run from pets, slow them, stun them, fear them..basically anything.. which is very common.
    Pets are superior to dots, because they follow you all the time, you can't drop combat when you fight them, even if you are not in line of sight of their master.
  1. Scroolooseuk's Avatar
    "Tank spec” feels outdated"

    Is it me or is this game becomming more like GW2 everday. Along with this and giving tanks and healers "extra abilities in island scenarios to help dps heal and tank", it would appear WoW is eventually aiming to ditch the holy trinaty altogether.
  1. aeuhe4yxzhds's Avatar
    "Choosing to put a particular pet into “Tank spec” feels outdated,"

    lol. Depth and choices is "feeling" outdated. What the hell is it with less gameplay mechanics and depth to anything?
  1. ThatsOurEric's Avatar
    I like it. It made no sense for them to have removed the unique abilities in the previous expansions..

    I like not having to always have to have one of 3 or 2 pets with BR & BL.
  1. Blackmist's Avatar
    "Move past the idea of a DPS/Tank pet specialization"

    Sounds good.

    "each family will be categorized as Ferocity, Tenacity, or Cunning."

    So you've just locked each pet type into DPS, Tank and PvP instead.

    How is that moving past anything. It's doing the exact same sodding thing, with more limitations.
  1. zorv's Avatar
    Any chance that, with the other changes coming to hunters and their pets in the next expansion, hunter pets could become account-wide like mounts and battle pets?

    When I made my first hunter on my main server, I managed (over the years) to tame almost all of the rare BM pets (Skoll, Arcturis, the various rare spiders in the firelands area, both spectral cats, the spectral owl, ghost crab, etc, etc).... Since those days, I've created some hunters on other servers to play with friends, but haven't even attempted to tame these guys on those other servers, mainly due to the greatly increased difficulty of finding them after the implementation of cross-realm zones, and the large number of other players who are trying to tame them. Having hunter pets become account-wide would solve that issue for a number of us players that have hunters on numerous servers, and would probably be easily done if the methods for mounts and battle pets could be duplicated for them.

    Just an idea... as with anything else, if you don't ask, you surely will not receive....
  1. ManiaCCC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonol View Post
    You answered your own question:
    Did I? I asked question.. and somehow I answered my own question?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonol View Post

    Pets are superior to dots, because they follow you all the time, you can't drop combat when you fight them, even if you are not in line of sight of their master.
    So is stun superior to slows, big damage superior to small damage etc. You still don't understand. You want change mechanic and can't articulate single reason why.


    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    "Move past the idea of a DPS/Tank pet specialization"

    Sounds good.

    "each family will be categorized as Ferocity, Tenacity, or Cunning."

    So you've just locked each pet type into DPS, Tank and PvP instead.

    How is that moving past anything. It's doing the exact same sodding thing, with more limitations.
    Every pet deals exactly same damage.
  1. deathslover's Avatar
    i personally dont like these changes at all. i like having a full ability to choose my pet and the spec i use it for. i love my spirit pets specially loque and arty they are my "to go" pets. if they are going to screw us over with limiting our choices at least give us a way to "transmog" our pets (like the item for hati) so i can still use loque even tho she isnt technically her. and the ability to have have pets account wide (say pick 5) that any toon can use (need to buy the unlock or earn it whatever) that would be easy to do
  1. Stormcall's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post

    "each family will be categorized as Ferocity, Tenacity, or Cunning."

    So you've just locked each pet type into DPS, Tank and PvP instead.
    No, they haven't. There are TONS of PvE instances where the movement speed boost(and occasionally, the root/slow immunity) of Cunning pets is useful...in fact, outside of Bloodlust(if nobody else in your group can provide it), I can't see any reason to ever use a "DPS pet" over a "PvP pet" since their damage is going to be the same. Now, the pet family abilities could make a difference, but being a DPS pet doesn't mean they get a DPS ability anyway, since according to the Blizzard post, the cat family(a "DPS family" pet) gets a dodge CD as their family ability.
  1. Sonol's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ManiaCCC View Post
    Did I? I asked question.. and somehow I answered my own question?



    So is stun superior to slows, big damage superior to small damage etc. You still don't understand. You want change mechanic and can't articulate single reason why.
    You compare apples and oranges and you don't want to understand the whole situation. Read again, I won't write it down again how it's an advantage to keep a player in combat and damaging it, having 100% uptime, even when there is no actual interaction between the player characters due to los situation.

Site Navigation