World of Warcraft Classic Beta Added to CDN
An entry for the World of Warcraft Classic Beta has been added to the CDN, with version 1.13.2. This brings us one step closer to beta!

This article was originally published in forum thread: World of Warcraft Classic Beta Added to CDN started by chaud View original post
Comments 128 Comments
  1. Redroniksre's Avatar
    I am excited, i won't play the beta (no point for me really, i know it all already so i will just wait for release). I hope they let people try out all of the content, to get it as ready as possible even with the spread apart release phases. That said i am a bit worried there will be a lot of "I know how it worked and this isn't how it worked" (Despite them actually being wrong or misled by Private Servers)
  1. Cavox's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 8bithamster View Post
    "Just make it work on newer OS + bug fixes" and that's why you're not anywhere near such IT projects.
    Let me guess, you're the type that updates a company critical piece of software without a test enviroment because "It just works anyway"
    You don't know *how* close I am to what IT projects, but please continue projecting.
    I'm completely aware of the things you listed, but it still shouldn't take 18 months for AAA dev team. Stop strawmanning and think for a second. They have all the needed assets, they have the old engine (which is still, even in retail, heavily modified old engine) and most of all - they have experience with their own engine. They could've just make the game again with all the resources they have in 12 months. If you think "patching systems" or "different launcher" is a problem for a software/database engineer to fix in more than a week then I don't think this discussion will go anywhere.

    It's all Okcham's razor - what's more probable:
    1) they're taking 18 months to re-release a VERSION of a game they've already made long time ago (now having much more experience).
    2) they want to strategically release the game when retail will be suffering a major, annual player drop-off while building the hype for Classic?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonkbonk100 View Post
    Ah IT engineers... you never fail to make me smile.
    And people who blindly believe companies make me smile. They only want what's best for you, right?
  1. mojusk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NoiseTank13 View Post
    I can't wait for the moment people realize that Classic servers won't give them the sense of magic and fulfillment they got on release.
    i cant wait for the day that people will shut up and mind their own business. let people enjoy what ever they want, even if its something you dont enjoy.
    im so bored of retail fanboys trolling classic forums AND vice versa.
  1. Psygon's Avatar
    People who dont want Classic need to stop bothering the fans.

    Moderators, how about dealing with the harassment?
  1. nyc81991's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavox View Post
    This. You can't go back. Classic servers will be ghost towns in 4 months.
    I think it's more likely it will turn out like Runescape where the classic version is by far the most played.
  1. uopayroll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jfriot View Post
    A CDN is a Content Delivery Network
    Darn, I was hoping it meant us up here in Canada were getting it first
  1. Toofattowin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavox View Post
    You don't know *how* close I am to what IT projects, but please continue projecting.
    I'm completely aware of the things you listed, but it still shouldn't take 18 months for AAA dev team. Stop strawmanning and think for a second. They have all the needed assets, they have the old engine (which is still, even in retail, heavily modified old engine) and most of all - they have experience with their own engine. They could've just make the game again with all the resources they have in 12 months. If you think "patching systems" or "different launcher" is a problem for a software/database engineer to fix in more than a week then I don't think this discussion will go anywhere.

    It's all Okcham's razor - what's more probable:
    1) they're taking 18 months to re-release a VERSION of a game they've already made long time ago (now having much more experience).
    2) they want to strategically release the game when retail will be suffering a major, annual player drop-off while building the hype for Classic?


    And people who blindly believe companies make me smile. They only want what's best for you, right?
    Don't forget that it's not only a code and done project. They also had to figure out how to convert their old database to more modern ones, modify the way they communicate with their database, plan the content release, actually code the different patches, plan and code new servers that are more modern and all that on top of QA and bug fixing + conversion to support battle.net. And that is just the tip of the iceberg since we're not part of the company. We don't know what's going on over there. Also, there might be 10-15 actual devs on the team compared to a full AAA one as you mentioned with 50-200 devs.
  1. maulgryve's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavox View Post
    If you think "patching systems" or "different launcher" is a problem for a software/database engineer to fix in more than a week then I don't think this discussion will go anywhere
    As an engineer, this comment reminds me of the marketing departments I have to deal with. Vastly underestimating what goes into a software product while overestimating their own knowledge base.
  1. zetitup's Avatar
    Why does it bother people if someone wants to play classic and they don't? Just don't play it and ignore it?
  1. Kyriani's Avatar
    I suggest that anyone claiming how quick or easy something can be done with the game code first first ask themselves the following:

    Are you guessing the difficulty of the proposed work?

    If yes, then are you a programmer?

    If yes, then have you actually seen the code?

    If no, then you should know better than to claim how easy something is to implement.

    The basic TLDR here is that you should never assume the difficulty of something you know nothing about. And even if you have expertise in the field, if you haven't actually seen the code you're talking about, then you can't say for certain how quick or easy making changes to that code would be.
  1. lollerlaban's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavox View Post
    I'm an IT engineer (not a software developer mind you) and I still say it's delay tactics. They have a 2005/6 build - just make it work on newer OS + bug fixes (which they know how to fix by now). Modders do shit like this all the time, not to mention gog.com. I don't believe they needed 18 months of development time to release classic. You could've make a new game in that time with resources Blizzard has. I understand the team is smaller, but still - they HAVE the build and the assets.
    It's actually quite clear you have no idea what you're talking about, but please, carry on
  1. Highelf's Avatar
    Been waiting for this ever since they announced it. Two of my cousins are coming back to play Vanilla and all of us quest together once again.
  1. Onikaroshi's Avatar
    No doubt it'll be popular... but I just hope they don't overshoot server counts.... cause that first month or so is going to a LOT more popular then 3-4 months down the line and that's a lot of time to put into the "wrong" server.
  1. Eapoe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Psygon View Post
    People who dont want Classic need to stop bothering the fans.

    Moderators, how about dealing with the harassment?
    I agree, can mods get people to stop making thinly veiled “Classic is better” posts in all the retail forums? So annoying.
    Seriously though, let people enjoy what they want, whether Classic or Retail. Quit with the “fanboy” name calling as its used in a derogatory sense and serves no purpose than to upset people.
  1. glowpipe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Psygon View Post
    People who dont want Classic need to stop bothering the fans.

    Moderators, how about dealing with the harassment?
    This goes both ways. There are people in more or less every bfa thread saying how bfa sucks and classic will kill it and whatnot. Harrasing retail players

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by zetitup View Post
    Why does it bother people if someone wants to play classic and they don't? Just don't play it and ignore it?
    because blizzard is wasting resources on classic that should be used to fix the current retail game ?
  1. The Stormbringer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Archmage Alodi View Post
    #NoBetaClub i can feel it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skylarking View Post
    Open beta or invites only?
    They said already that they're not doing a beta for this one.

    EDIT: That screenshot leads me to believe otherwise though, maybe. Weird.
  1. Donald Hellscream's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Psygon View Post
    People who dont want Classic need to stop bothering the fans.

    Moderators, how about dealing with the harassment?
    Thats a two-way street, there are equally as many people who will happily jump into every BFA thread and call people who still enjoy the game whiteknights,shills,fanboys, retail drones etc.

    Bottomline is people need to be less pathetic overall.
  1. Explicit Teemo Nudes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by uopayroll View Post
    Darn, I was hoping it meant us up here in Canada were getting it first
    Don't worry son, Cadana will get it first, alright.
  1. BoltBlaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glowpipe View Post
    because blizzard is wasting resources on classic that should be used to fix the current retail game ?
    There are few problems with that idea:

    1. Throwing more people on project doesn't always mean project will be better.

    2. You assume that resources they are using on Classic would otherwise be used on BfA.

    3. You assume that BfA needs fixing. Developers clearly disagree.

    4. Game is not only about you and what you want. There are millions of other players who left WoW for whatever reason, Classic will bring many of them back.

    Classic development will benefit WoW as whole. It will bring back many players. Some of them might even try your beloved BfA.
  1. Explicit Teemo Nudes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    No doubt it'll be popular... but I just hope they don't overshoot server counts.... cause that first month or so is going to a LOT more popular then 3-4 months down the line and that's a lot of time to put into the "wrong" server.
    I hope I end up on the "wrong" server. There will be more chill people there

Site Navigation