Overcrowded Realm Update
Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker)
Based on name reservations so far, the Shazzrah realm is looking to be massively overpopulated. If all existing players on this server remain there, login queues in excess of 10,000 players are a certainty, and possibly much higher than that.

We recently opened up the Gehennas realm, and we urge players on Shazzrah to consider moving there. There are a lot of players currently on Shazzrah and we want Gehennas to fill up before we open any new PvP realms. This is so that player population is spread as evenly as possible before launch, in order to provide the best play experience.

While we are able to fit several times more players on a single realm in 2019 than was the case in 2006, we are not going to raise that cap any further, even though we have the technical capacity to do so. Raising realm caps would simply forestall the problem, letting more players in at launch but creating an unsustainable situation down the line, with severe queues when we turn off layering permanently before Phase 2 of our content unlock plan.

Please also note that our realm population estimates of Low, Medium, High, and Full are based on this increased capacity – a Medium realm today already has more characters on it than even the most crowded realms did back in 2006.

Our top priority in planning for WoW Classic’s launch has been ensuring that we are laying the groundwork for strong realm communities that will endure over the months and years to follow, which is why we’re cautiously opening new servers to meet demand.

Overcrowded Realm Update
Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
Based on name reservations so far, the Herod realm is looking to be massively overpopulated. If all existing players on this server remain there, login queues in excess of 10,000 players are a certainty, and possibly much higher than that.

We recently opened up the Stalagg realm, and we urge players on Herod to consider moving there. There are a lot of players currently on Herod and we want Stalagg to fill up before we open any new PvP realms. This is so that player population is spread as evenly as possible before launch, in order to provide the best play experience.

While we are able to fit several times more players on a single realm in 2019 than was the case in 2006, we are not going to raise that cap any further, even though we have the technical capacity to do so. Raising realm caps would simply forestall the problem, letting more players in at launch but creating an unsustainable situation down the line, with severe queues when we turn off layering permanently before Phase 2 of our content unlock plan.

Please also note that our realm population estimates of Low, Medium, High, and Full are based on this increased capacity – a Medium realm today already has more characters on it than even the most crowded realms did back in 2006.

Our top priority in planning for WoW Classic’s launch has been ensuring that we are laying the groundwork for strong realm communities that will endure over the months and years to follow, which is why we’re cautiously opening new servers to meet demand.
This article was originally published in forum thread: Classic Overcrowded Realm Update started by chaud View original post
Comments 312 Comments
  1. justandulas's Avatar
    Nice try, blizzard.

    I'd rather wait in a que every time for the first few months and 100% know that my server would be populated 1 year down the road than move to the consolation realm and be trapped on essentially a lower pop server after the rush dies down.

    This is a YOU problem blizzard, fix it.

    ESO, and every other MMO's out there do MEGAservers that have all the players in a SINGLE server.

    Maybe you guys should invest in better tech? kk thanks for classic tho
  1. Morgaith's Avatar
    GL getting ppl to abandon their reserved names for the sake of lesser queues.
  1. Voidwielder's Avatar
    Just add more realms and if things go bad and it starts to die out, collapse them in to one.
  1. justandulas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Voidwielder View Post
    Just add more realms and if things go bad and it starts to die out, collapse them in to one.
    If that was how blizz did things, we'd be down to 25-30 retail realms crunched together.

    Blizz is the type to let dead realms fester, and even then, those who get "consolidated" are 2nd class when it comes to names, guild names, etc.

    This is a blizz problem, not a player count problem.

    If ESO can do a megaserver, so can wow
  1. Stalemate's Avatar
    Ya I'm glad I moved to Stalagg. On release day and several weeks there on, I cant justify wasting hours in a queue for the sake of it being the 'cool' one. There will be plenty of raid guilds on Stalagg, of that I have no doubt.
  1. Voidwielder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    If that was how blizz did things, we'd be down to 25-30 retail realms crunched together.
    And that would be a good thing. They can solve the name problem by allowing us last names, aliases or something like that. Or just expand on layering technology so that the server thinks players XX and XX are two different players - surely there has to be a back-end way to do this without being obvious to the player.
  1. Zentail's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    Nice try, blizzard.

    I'd rather wait in a que every time for the first few months and 100% know that my server would be populated 1 year down the road than move to the consolation realm and be trapped on essentially a lower pop server after the rush dies down.

    This is a YOU problem blizzard, fix it.

    ESO, and every other MMO's out there do MEGAservers that have all the players in a SINGLE server.

    Maybe you guys should invest in better tech? kk thanks for classic tho
    The other MMORPGs with sizeable playerbases do not have all players on a single server.
  1. aeuhe4yxzhds's Avatar
    Nice but no. I'd rather stay loggen in through the nights with various ways
  1. Dismayxz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    Nice try, blizzard.

    I'd rather wait in a que every time for the first few months and 100% know that my server would be populated 1 year down the road than move to the consolation realm and be trapped on essentially a lower pop server after the rush dies down.

    This is a YOU problem blizzard, fix it.

    ESO, and every other MMO's out there do MEGAservers that have all the players in a SINGLE server.

    Maybe you guys should invest in better tech? kk thanks for classic tho
    I'll jump on the example of ESO here specifically, because I know too little about the other MMO's that do Megaservers and what the situation is like there, but last I checked in with ESO (a few weeks ago), Both NA and EU Megaservers were riddled with horrible lag and have been for a while. Which makes playing the game properly (light-weaving, yada yada so on so forth) a lot more annoying than it should be. Megaservers done right I can get behind, don't care. But if your supposed 'fix' to the problem is to go with the trend of other MMO's, no thank you. I'd like to actually keep that laggy shitshow out of both modern WoW and WoW Classic.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    If that was how blizz did things, we'd be down to 25-30 retail realms crunched together.

    Blizz is the type to let dead realms fester, and even then, those who get "consolidated" are 2nd class when it comes to names, guild names, etc.

    This is a blizz problem, not a player count problem.

    If ESO can do a megaserver, so can wow
    Except ESO can't do a quality megaserver.
  1. justandulas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Voidwielder View Post
    And that would be a good thing. They can solve the name problem by allowing us last names, aliases or something like that. Or just expand on layering technology so that the server thinks players XX and XX are two different players - surely there has to be a back-end way to do this without being obvious to the player.
    my man, i 100% agree. I've been an advocate of megaservers for wow for years, especially considering how many dead/dying servers are clogging up the list.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Dismayxz View Post
    I'll jump on the example of ESO here specifically, because I know too little about the other MMO's that do Megaservers and what the situation is like there, but last I checked in with ESO (a few weeks ago), Both NA and EU Megaservers were riddled with horrible lag and have been for a while. Which makes playing the game properly (light-weaving, yada yada so on so forth) a lot more annoying than it should be. Megaservers done right I can get behind, don't care. But if your supposed 'fix' to the problem is to go with the trend of other MMO's, no thank you. I'd like to actually keep that laggy shitshow out of both modern WoW and WoW Classic.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Except ESO can't do a quality megaserver.
    That sounds like a you PC kinda thing. I play ESO and have never once experienced a second of lag? I see more lag in BFA than i do ESO, no lie.

    Megaservers work just fine in ESO, they work fine in SWTOR, they work fine in plenty of other MMO's.

    Don't ff14's use megaservers or nah? I can't remember.

    It's 10 years past time for WoW to do that
  1. HordeFanboy's Avatar
    Blizzard is so dumb. They should just add more (30-40) servers and solve the problem.
  1. Clozer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    my man, i 100% agree. I've been an advocate of megaservers for wow for years, especially considering how many dead/dying servers are clogging up the list.

    - - - Updated - - -



    That sounds like a you PC kinda thing. I play ESO and have never once experienced a second of lag? I see more lag in BFA than i do ESO, no lie.

    Megaservers work just fine in ESO, they work fine in SWTOR, they work fine in plenty of other MMO's.

    Don't ff14's use megaservers or nah? I can't remember.

    It's 10 years past time for WoW to do that
    Not one of these games comes even remotely close to the amount of players wow has. If 10 people wanna use a bus - all fit just fine but if a 100 wanna use it - it simply doesnt work. You either wait for the next bus or you use another one. Simple as that.
  1. Firatha's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HordeFanboy View Post
    Blizzard is so dumb. They should just add more (30-40) servers and solve the problem.
    Thats only half the problem the other half is that people just tend to want the safe long run pick and people flocking to streamers/wellknown guilds
  1. alexs's Avatar
    Wouldn't adding more layering be the solution here? What's the cap of one layering world server 3k?
    Just stack more world servers, it wouldn't feel as empty as low population realms at least..
  1. Clozer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HordeFanboy View Post
    Blizzard is so dumb. They should just add more (30-40) servers and solve the problem.
    Not sure if sarcasm or not. But there is a sever that is not full and people dont wanna play on that one. So adding more serves solves exactly nothing.
  1. justandulas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Clozer View Post
    Not one of these games comes even remotely close to the amount of players wow has. If 10 people wanna use a bus - all fit just fine but if a 100 wanna use it - it simply doesnt work. You either wait for the next bus or you use another one. Simple as that.
    ESO has more players than WoW does. Granted, it's b2p but it has more players across PC, XB, and PS combined than wow. FF14 has also caught up and passed them in sub count (if you haven't been paying attention). Also, OSRS has more players than ANY of them so... yeah
  1. Clozer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alexs View Post
    Wouldn't adding more layering be the solution here? What's the cap of one layering world server 3k?
    Just stack more world servers, it wouldn't feel as empty as low population realms at least..
    They have layering in mind. But in a couple months they expect still FAR more players on these servers than what would be healthy for the game.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    ESO has more players than WoW does. Granted, it's b2p but it has more players across PC, XB, and PS combined than wow. FF14 has also caught up and passed them in sub count (if you haven't been paying attention). Also, OSRS has more players than ANY of them so... yeah
    How you know since wow has NOT released sub numbers in years? Farseer?
  1. dipzz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Clozer View Post
    They have layering in mind. But in a couple months they expect still FAR more players on these servers than what would be healthy for the game.

    - - - Updated - - -



    How you know since wow has NOT released sub numbers in years? Farseer?
    "Though Blizzard stopped providing subscriber numbers for World of Warcraft back in 2015, a new report has stated that the subscriber base currently stands at 1.7 million"
  1. Clozer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dipzz View Post
    "Though Blizzard stopped providing subscriber numbers for World of Warcraft back in 2015, a new report has stated that the subscriber base currently stands at 1.7 million"
    My dad works for blizzard and says otherwise.

    This statement is just as true as yours. God so much trash.
  1. justandulas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Clozer View Post
    They have layering in mind. But in a couple months they expect still FAR more players on these servers than what would be healthy for the game.

    - - - Updated - - -



    How you know since wow has NOT released sub numbers in years? Farseer?
    their MAU and shareholder meetings (I do own stock in them and listen in) tell the story, plus anyone can see BFA is prolly the lowest population wise wow has ever been.

    On top of that, ESO and ff14 are quick to brag to the world they have this that and the other. FF14 just boasted recently they are the #1 sub mmo in the world after their new expac. For the record, i don't even play ff14 just reporting.

Site Navigation