New Increasing Cooldown for Changing Layers
Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
'We recently developed a hotfix that restricts frequent layer-hopping, without impacting those who simply wish to play with their friends. Following realm restarts earlier today, this hotfix is now live in all realms in the Americas and Oceania region.

Now, each time a player moves to a new layer, there will be an increasing amount of time before that player can move to another layer. If a player moves between layers multiple times over a short timeframe, the cooldown can increase to a duration of several minutes (or longer) before they can change layers again. The cooldown will then decrease over time for players who don’t change layers.

This hotfix will become active in other regions following their next realm restarts.

Thank you!
This article was originally published in forum thread: New Increasing Cooldown for Changing Layers started by chaud View original post
Comments 70 Comments
  1. Neo's Avatar
    What's the point now?
  1. guisadop's Avatar
    This should have been done way sooner. Wasn't the world first 60 done with layer hopping?
  1. munkeyinorbit's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo View Post
    What's the point now?
    Just like all fixes over the last two expansions it is designed to reward the no life and punish the regulars. There has been a constant pattern of no life's "abusing" a system. Blizzard finds out and nerfs it but not until the no lifes have got what they want for it. Last time it happened was when dungeon XP was bugged. No one had their levels taken away and they profited from exploiting. Normal people get to the stage where they could use it and then it is nerfed.
  1. Cracked's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by guisadop View Post
    This should have been done way sooner. Wasn't the world first 60 done with layer hopping?
    Well to be honest he only hopped last 2 levels and only started to do so because people came to grief him due to streaming it. It probably sped up his last two levels by about ~30%.
  1. munkeyinorbit's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracked View Post
    Well to be honest he only hopped last 2 levels and only started to do so because people came to grief him due to streaming it. It probably sped up his last two levels by about ~30%.
    I agree. It was small and probably didn't matter in the end. I also remember when some guy used a bug in the way XP was rewarded for a particular group of mobs. He won the race but blizzard saw the exploit and reversed his xp so he was back at LVL 1. Now blizzard are spineless and create a system where it is ok to exploit. Blizzard won't do anything about it except punish the people who come after.
  1. Nelle's Avatar
    As long as you dont implement this terrible cooldown on the REAL realms of BFA, fine with me.
  1. Zafire's Avatar
    I only switch layers about once every hour or so I don't think this is going to effect me at all.
  1. cparle87's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelle View Post
    As long as you dont implement this terrible cooldown on the REAL realms of BFA, fine with me.
    Considering BFA doesn't have layering you don't have anything to worry about.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    Just like all fixes over the last two expansions it is designed to reward the no life and punish the regulars. There has been a constant pattern of no life's "abusing" a system. Blizzard finds out and nerfs it but not until the no lifes have got what they want for it. Last time it happened was when dungeon XP was bugged. No one had their levels taken away and they profited from exploiting. Normal people get to the stage where they could use it and then it is nerfed.
    Your argument is that Blizzard deliberately waits until an exploit has become well known and widely used in order to ban it so the worst exploiters get away with it while the casual exploiters don't? That's some tinfoil there, my friend.
  1. otaXephon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    Considering BFA doesn't have layering you don't have anything to worry about.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Your argument is that Blizzard deliberately waits until an exploit has become well known and widely used in order to ban it so the worst exploiters get away with it while the casual exploiters don't? That's some tinfoil there, my friend.
    You didn't get the memo? Any change Blizzard makes is because they hate the people who play their game.
  1. TheRevenantHero's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    Considering BFA doesn't have layering you don't have anything to worry about.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Your argument is that Blizzard deliberately waits until an exploit has become well known and widely used in order to ban it so the worst exploiters get away with it while the casual exploiters don't? That's some tinfoil there, my friend.
    It's not really tinfoil hat at all. Blizzard rarely ever punishes streamers when they use exploits because streamers make the game popular and help generate revenue. If Blizzard was actually going to be fair about punishments, then the world first 60 on Classic realms should have been banned along with everyone else that was using the raid group in a dungeon exploit. But they weren't punished and the people who exploited the game got off scott free.
  1. otaXephon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    It's not really tinfoil hat at all. Blizzard rarely ever punishes streamers when they use exploits because streamers make the game popular and help generate revenue. If Blizzard was actually going to be fair about punishments, then the world first 60 on Classic realms should have been banned along with everyone else that was using the raid group in a dungeon exploit. But they weren't punished and the people who exploited the game got off scott free.
    Because the headline, "Blizzard bans the entire guild who killed WF Ragnaros on Classic" would do wonders for hype. Nah, let's not approach it sensibly...gotta sate the internet's collective justice boner somehow.
  1. Gratlim's Avatar
    Good change. It was funny to see players in guild chat complaining about not being able to abuse the system for they node hunting and aoe grinding. Mostly mages ofc.
  1. cparle87's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Because the headline, "Blizzard bans the entire guild who killed WF Ragnaros on Classic" would do wonders for hype. Nah, let's not approach it sensibly...gotta sate the internet's collective justice boner somehow.
    Thanks for the laughs. Been in a lore discussion with a couple guys who have jade colored glasses super glued to their faces. Quite draining trying to discuss the possibility that Blizzard aren't horribly, lazy asses with people who have boiled every character in the franchise down into an unrecognizable caricature.
  1. Mectrid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo View Post
    What's the point now?
    The point now is that as more and more people hit max level this is when it can be abused the most in terms of the economy of the game.

    It kinda sucks it wasn't there from the get go, but the first 2 weeks only affected the people putting insanity levels of hours into grinding. If this was pushed back another month it truly would punish people that aren't doing it.
  1. TheRevenantHero's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Because the headline, "Blizzard bans the entire guild who killed WF Ragnaros on Classic" would do wonders for hype. Nah, let's not approach it sensibly...gotta sate the internet's collective justice boner somehow.
    It's either they ban them to show the ToS means something or don't ban them and send a message to the player base that certain people are allowed to disregard the ToS because they drum up hype.
  1. Roxyfoxy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    It's either they ban them to show the ToS means something or don't ban them and send a message to the player base that certain people are allowed to disregard the ToS because they drum up hype.
    Layer hopping is not against the ToS, nor is it a exploit. Its just behavior blizzard wants to avoid. You cant punish people for using the game mechanics to their advantage, epecially one that was so well known by both blizzard and the players.

    Blizzard chose to allow it, cant punish the players for that
  1. TheRevenantHero's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxyfoxy View Post
    Layer hopping is not against the ToS, nor is it a exploit. Its just behavior blizzard wants to avoid. You cant punish people for using the game mechanics to their advantage, epecially one that was so well known by both blizzard and the players.

    Blizzard chose to allow it, cant punish the players for that
    If it wasn't an exploit, Blizzard wouldn't have put a cooldown on layer hopping. Do you also think that people that used the dungeon running in a raid group for tons more exp aren't exploiting the game?
  1. rips's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracked View Post
    Well to be honest he only hopped last 2 levels and only started to do so because people came to grief him due to streaming it. It probably sped up his last two levels by about ~30%.
    well.. maybe he shouldnt play on a pvp server if he cant handle the pvp ?

    isnt this what people use to say... without layering he wouldnt even be able to anyway
  1. MrLoque's Avatar
    "A true Vanilla experience"

    For sure.
  1. steellz's Avatar
    The largest abuse for layering is the people camping a chest, and getting invited to groups to swap layers, infinitely looting that chest, making like 100g per hour. Blizzard ruined the "Classic" feel the moment they added layering to Classic, it was abused so much,

    as for the people using a raid to level, what was the point in having a Beta if a major exploit like this wasn't found, or was found and the players didnt report it because personal gain, Blizzard has done this time and time again, they will not ban popular players, i thought i'd at least see a roll back.

    The layering exploits and the people who got level 60 in a few days have cornered the market, ruining the eco on the servers as well.

    This is NOT classic. This is worse than some Vanilla private servers.

Site Navigation