New Increasing Cooldown for Changing Layers
Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
'We recently developed a hotfix that restricts frequent layer-hopping, without impacting those who simply wish to play with their friends. Following realm restarts earlier today, this hotfix is now live in all realms in the Americas and Oceania region.

Now, each time a player moves to a new layer, there will be an increasing amount of time before that player can move to another layer. If a player moves between layers multiple times over a short timeframe, the cooldown can increase to a duration of several minutes (or longer) before they can change layers again. The cooldown will then decrease over time for players who don’t change layers.

This hotfix will become active in other regions following their next realm restarts.

Thank you!
This article was originally published in forum thread: New Increasing Cooldown for Changing Layers started by chaud View original post
Comments 70 Comments
  1. wych's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by steellz View Post
    The largest abuse for layering is the people camping a chest, and getting invited to groups to swap layers, infinitely looting that chest, making like 100g per hour. Blizzard ruined the "Classic" feel the moment they added layering to Classic, it was abused so much,

    as for the people using a raid to level, what was the point in having a Beta if a major exploit like this wasn't found, or was found and the players didnt report it because personal gain, Blizzard has done this time and time again, they will not ban popular players, i thought i'd at least see a roll back.

    The layering exploits and the people who got level 60 in a few days have cornered the market, ruining the eco on the servers as well.

    This is NOT classic. This is worse than some Vanilla private servers.
    You are MASSIVELY exagerrating the number of people who've done this
  1. Tarx's Avatar
    Better late than ever
  1. Thereturn's Avatar
    Now that the streamers are 60 and already have farmed mats for days on end, lets fix it to fuck over the regular crowd.
    Never change blizzard.
    Btw, hows the banning of APES coming?
  1. justandulas's Avatar
    People abusing leveling mechanics has been a thing since tbc. How do you guys think athene got famous? Cheesing the broken 5 man xp where people would leave before the trash died and he got all the xp. He did that in wotlk and cata I believe

    People will always find a way to gain an edge
  1. Outofmana's Avatar
    Way too late, damage is done
  1. reacher's Avatar
    I recall back in Vanilla when people were wall-jumping or glitching into undeveloped areas of the world that had high level mobs with like 100 HP, but they yielded the full exp
  1. mmocfd1b0ab5a3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by steellz View Post
    The layering exploits and the people who got level 60 in a few days have cornered the market, ruining the eco on the servers as well.
    How does it ruin economy? Hopping to another layer doesn't add any extra rares or nodes at all to the servers.
  1. FelPlague's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    Just like all fixes over the last two expansions it is designed to reward the no life and punish the regulars. There has been a constant pattern of no life's "abusing" a system. Blizzard finds out and nerfs it but not until the no lifes have got what they want for it. Last time it happened was when dungeon XP was bugged. No one had their levels taken away and they profited from exploiting. Normal people get to the stage where they could use it and then it is nerfed.
    you cant just undo peoples levels, that can MASSIVLY fuck over the game, imagine being level 60 wearing full level 60 raid gear, then suddenly a change goes out and all your gear gets unequipped cause you are now level 57... and so now suddenly you are literally bare nacked and have 3 levels to go. you still have level 60 spells, or wasted your gold on spells you not no longer have. so on so forth.
    the only way to fix it would be rollbacks of their entire charecter, but how would you liek it if you did dungeons in 6 man groups just for the fun ofi t, then suddenly got punished for something you didnt know was going on? just happening to have 6 people in the group is pretty easy to accidently do.
  1. steellz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wych View Post
    You are MASSIVELY exagerrating the number of people who've done this
    am i? i don't think i am,

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by mmocfd1b0ab5a3 View Post
    How does it ruin economy? Hopping to another layer doesn't add any extra rares or nodes at all to the servers.
    The devilsaur is being camped by many 60s already, they are owning the market on something no many players can even use yet, farming dungeons, for rare twink items already, countless other things. use your brain, vanilla/classic was not made to be streamlined through in days.

    ANd yes, hoping layers can bypass chest repawns. as well as rares. what are you even talking about?>
  1. mmocfd1b0ab5a3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by steellz View Post
    ANd yes, hoping layers can bypass chest repawns. as well as rares. what are you even talking about?>
    I mean hopping layers does not add any extra rares or chests. If you didn't hop to another layer someone else will loot/kill it.
  1. owbu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    If it wasn't an exploit, Blizzard wouldn't have put a cooldown on layer hopping. Do you also think that people that used the dungeon running in a raid group for tons more exp aren't exploiting the game?
    Blizzard deciding to change something is not enough to warrant a ban. Otherwise you would get a whole lot of bans, everytime Blizzard balances the classes.

    For something to be an exploit, you have to, knowingly, use it to your advantage in a way that Blizzard didn't forsee happening.

    Blizzard clearly knew that you can use layers to farm mats in different zones. They thought that it wasn't a problem. After monitoring the situation, they redecided and changed the game mechanics. Now you can still farm layers for mats, but it's less effective. If it's still too effective, they will change the game mechanics again. Just like they would if druids still dealt too much damage.
    This has nothing to do with exploiting or breaking the TOS.

    The "raiding 5 mans without the xp penalty" on the other hand was a bug. Blizzard thought the penalty was active, but it was not. So using it to gain an advantage is exploiting. So I'm pretty sure that there was an actual conversation at Blizzard somwhere, wether or not the most extreme abusers should be punished in some way or not.
  1. Sinyc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    Your argument is that Blizzard deliberately waits until an exploit has become well known and widely used in order to ban it so the worst exploiters get away with it while the casual exploiters don't? That's some tinfoil there, my friend.
    I'm not the person you quoted, but I think what they meant is they aren't properly testing these new "features" they add, and they get abused. It takes a little to fix and by then the no-lifers have gotten max use out of it.
  1. glowpipe's Avatar
    Blizzard: no one exploited changing layers. Nothing bad happened. Also blizzard: We put in a hotfix to fix layer exploiting
  1. otaXephon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glowpipe View Post
    Blizzard: no one exploited changing layers. Nothing bad happened. Also blizzard: We put in a hotfix to fix layer exploiting
    Blizzard never claimed nobody ever did anything bad with layers, just that people on the internet are greatly exaggerating the negative consequences of the people who abused it.
  1. david0925's Avatar
    I'm still very confused by the "layer farming mats argument", so let me get what i understand correctly straight

    Layers are created based on number of players in the game, so unless you are able to force additional people into the server, there are a number of fixed layer in the game, and even if you constantly join different parties to grind mobs, but only up to the number of currently available layers. You can only force additional layers to spawn by having more players in the game, which is in theory gated (which is why we see a queue). Is this correct?

    If this is true, then while i get it that people can farm mats faster compared to having fewer layer, it's not like you can artificially inflate that by doing anything by yourself. This is a big deal right now because there are fewer competition for people for the valuable grind spots so that layer hopping seems to be a big deal, but once the majority are there are there, the effect of hopping would be much less profitable, no?
  1. hyphnos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mmocfd1b0ab5a3 View Post
    I mean hopping layers does not add any extra rares or chests. If you didn't hop to another layer someone else will loot/kill it.
    this is the part people are missing. layers don't come magically into existence because people jump between them. blizzard creates them and when they do, the mats that come from them are created by blizzard. whoever the fuck harvests the mats doesn't change the amount coming into the world - the layers do. limiting layering may spread them out a bit more among the players, but if the increased amount is a problem then this changes very little.

    also, the fact that these "servers" hold far more players than classic realms did means that you have to figure out some sort of "mats per player" ratio that nobody has a fucking clue about.

    for all people know, there are fewer mats per player per server than there was in classic because the realms hold way more people. what we have now is a lot more players with a lot more of an idea of what is valuable so there is more effort being applied into gathering those things. maybe it means there's a surplus per player, but there simply isn't any way of knowing and if layers disappear later and player numbers stay higher than an average classic realm then everything will end up in short supply.

    TLDR: without looking at the mats per player ratio, rambling on about layers adding too much shit to the world doesn't mean squat.
  1. Roxyfoxy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    If it wasn't an exploit, Blizzard wouldn't have put a cooldown on layer hopping. Do you also think that people that used the dungeon running in a raid group for tons more exp aren't exploiting the game?
    That blizzard is doing something to stop it, doesnt make it a exploit, but unwanted behaviour, there is a big difference between those two.

    And as i explained in my previous post, blizzard allowed the layer hopping to work like that, knowing that it would be used like this, they just wanted to see how it turned out, and the blue post explained that there were noone with insane amounts of materials, but want to stop it before it gets to that point.


    The dungeon running is more of a gray zone, it was reported before the beta ended, blizzard did not fix it, nor did they say it was not allowed to run it like that, you cant ban anyone, when you let bugs that were reported several times stay for the release, and the players take advantage of it. Since after all, there is no rule against running the dungeons as a raid.


    Blizzard does not ban players without there being a very clear exploit, like the xp potion bug in retail where you had to go trough several steps to make it work.

    If they had to go trough several steps in abusing the dungeon farming, it would be a clear abuse, for instance if you had to enter a dungeon with 5 men, then 1 guy leave and you make a raid group, invite one and one member putting a member in group 8 and 6 to be able to gain extra experience it would be a clear exploit and they would get banned,
  1. TheRevenantHero's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxyfoxy View Post
    That blizzard is doing something to stop it, doesnt make it a exploit, but unwanted behaviour, there is a big difference between those two.

    And as i explained in my previous post, blizzard allowed the layer hopping to work like that, knowing that it would be used like this, they just wanted to see how it turned out, and the blue post explained that there were noone with insane amounts of materials, but want to stop it before it gets to that point.


    The dungeon running is more of a gray zone, it was reported before the beta ended, blizzard did not fix it, nor did they say it was not allowed to run it like that, you cant ban anyone, when you let bugs that were reported several times stay for the release, and the players take advantage of it. Since after all, there is no rule against running the dungeons as a raid.


    Blizzard does not ban players without there being a very clear exploit, like the xp potion bug in retail where you had to go trough several steps to make it work.

    If they had to go trough several steps in abusing the dungeon farming, it would be a clear abuse, for instance if you had to enter a dungeon with 5 men, then 1 guy leave and you make a raid group, invite one and one member putting a member in group 8 and 6 to be able to gain extra experience it would be a clear exploit and they would get banned,
    The dungeon farming in a raid group was 100% an exploit. It was a bug due to Classic having a portion of retail's code. It was not intended at all and was quickly fixed after people exploited the bug. Yet the streamers didn't get banned because they drum up revenue. This isn't the first time Blizzard has not banned a streamer for exploiting the game.
  1. Roxyfoxy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    The dungeon farming in a raid group was 100% an exploit. It was a bug due to Classic having a portion of retail's code. It was not intended at all and was quickly fixed after people exploited the bug. Yet the streamers didn't get banned because they drum up revenue. This isn't the first time Blizzard has not banned a streamer for exploiting the game.
    Sigh...

    Not everything that blizzard fixes are considered exploits, even if people take advantage of it, how hard is that to understand? And here we go again with "It's the streamers hurr durr" take off your tinfoil hat, not everything is a conspiracy.

    The reason people did not get banned, is because it's not a serious offense, they played the game normally, they found a way that gave them more experience whithin normal playing, the fact that it was a bug that allowed them to do it, does not make it a bannable offense. and i gave you a example of how a bannable bug abuse would be in my previous post. The dungeon running that was used however, is not.
  1. otaXephon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    The dungeon farming in a raid group was 100% an exploit. It was a bug due to Classic having a portion of retail's code. It was not intended at all and was quickly fixed after people exploited the bug. Yet the streamers didn't get banned because they drum up revenue. This isn't the first time Blizzard has not banned a streamer for exploiting the game.
    What you define an exploit and what Blizzard defines an exploit are two very different things. They did ban several high profile players for the exp potion exploit (see: Preach) because you had to follow a specific order of actions that was very unlikely to happen unintentionally. The dungeon exp thing was something Blizzard failed to fix before launch and a small number of players took advantage of their oversight. It was fixed and now nobody was punished because it was more an oversight on Blizzard's part than players intentionally taking advantage of something that wasn't meant to be used the way it was being used.

Site Navigation