Activision Blizzard Earnings Call
The quarterly Activision Blizzard earnings call is today:


  • World of Warcraft Classic drove the biggest quarterly increase to subscription plans in franchise history, in both the West and East.
  • Reach in October remained well above pre-Classic levels, with deep engagement across Classic and Modern World of Warcraft.
  • There was significant growth in the size of the World of Warcraft audience.
  • Blizzard had 33 million MAUs
  • The Overwatch League™ season Two average minute audience grew 18% year-over-year.
  • The team is prioritizing reach and engagement over short term results for Hearthstone.
This article was originally published in forum thread: Earnings Call - WoW Classic: Biggest Quarterly Increase in Subs in History started by chaud View original post
Comments 222 Comments
  1. GreenJesus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadzooks View Post
    Whelp, looking at the stock price, the investors seem unconvinced. They didn't abandon it, but they're not buying either. Which is the point of the thread, not "NO U CLASSIC IS DA SUCESS YOU DUMM DUMM HEAD".

    I'm not going to even go into that whole thing - both sides of it are beyond idiotic at this point. And they're not going to listen, and keep slapping each other in their sandbox, so I'm checking out of the whole thing.

    And that concludes this quarters investors report, that nobody read, but argue based on the myth that they did. See you in January!
    I like how you honestly think that classic alone is what effects the stock price of activision, king, and blizzard combined and that there aren't other factors involved.
  1. otaXephon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eugenik View Post
    L O fucking L. The theme park of reliving half fought fights for a welfare mount? Youre out of touch with reality..
    Ah yes, because reducing all of retail into just the15 year anniversary event is somehow more in touch with reality? Nice meme, dude.
  1. Medline's Avatar
    The hilarity in some of these posts about classic being so successful for months now is great.
    Ya'll realize it's been successful for this long because the minimal content, end game, was so drawn out to reach?
    Everyone's got their cup of tea, but classic won't be so successful once everythings been played. When it comes down to it, retail offers a multitude of things end game. Although it still lacks being able to provide that content for very long, it's a LOT longer than that of classic.
    Classic will eventually become a niche thing for players unless, like Runescape, they do updates outside the realm of what we've seen to keep it relevant.
  1. Eugenik's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Ah yes, because reducing all of retail into just the15 year anniversary event is somehow more in touch with reality? Nice meme, dude.
    Thats the most engaging content retails had in months..

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Medline View Post
    Everyone's got their cup of tea, but classic won't be so successful once everythings been played.
    By that argument, Classic should have launched a failure, because we've all played it..
  1. Medline's Avatar

    By that argument, Classic should have launched a failure, because we've all played it..
    Not when you consider how long it's been...
    There's a reason why oldschool games come back every year. Pac-man and the like are great for that back in the day feeling...
    You can look at it from food and music too..
  1. Eugenik's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Medline View Post
    Not when you consider how long it's been...
    There's a reason why oldschool games come back every year. Pac-man and the like are great for that back in the day feeling...
    You can look at it from food and music too..
    For many many people, they never stopped playing Vanilla.. Classic has just hooked another group of people who didnt play on private servers, for whatever reason. Are there going to be drop offs? Absolutely. That obvious observation goes without saying, so much so, its a waste of energy to point it out.
  1. Medline's Avatar
    When there's folks who don't realize that reality, it's never a waste of time my friend.
    VIVA Sylvanas
  1. Eugenik's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Medline View Post
    When there's folks who don't realize that reality, it's never a waste of time my friend.
    VIVA Sylvanas
    Show me, show me one person that has said WoW Classic will enjoy unending growth. Youre countering an argument youve never seen anyone make. That is a waste of everyones time.
  1. Medline's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eugenik View Post
    Show me, show me one person that has said WoW Classic will enjoy unending growth. Youre countering an argument youve never seen anyone make. That is a waste of everyones time.

    Alrighty. How about
    you think you do but CONTINUEING TO GROW BOYS
    or
    And yet, so many people on this forum were absolutely sure that Classic is "just nostalgia" and "dead in 2 weeks"

    with a bunch of roll eyes emotes
    And those are just the first 3 pages of this thread.
    It's definitely implied these people think, as you say, wow classic will enjoy unending growth.
  1. Eugenik's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Medline View Post
    Alrighty. How about
    or


    And those are just the first 3 pages of this thread.
    It's definitely implied these people think, as you say, wow classic will enjoy unending growth.
    "you think you do but CONTINUEING TO GROW BOYS"
    "And yet, so many people on this forum were absolutely sure that Classic is "just nostalgia" and "dead in 2 weeks"
    with a bunch of roll eyes emotes"

    =/= "WoW Classic will enjoy unending growth". Youre still countering an argument no has made. Stop wasting your time and smarten up.
  1. WaitingForBlizzcon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Demon Hunter seemed pretty popular.
    DK is still pretty popular. I see one in seven players are DKS, and one in twelve players are DHs...
    Monks? 1 in 30.
  1. Hey There Guys its Metro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Too bad we got no new playable class which doesn't bode well for Q1 in 2020's numbers.
    Did you mean 2021 or something?
    Or are you suggesting that people would unsub from 8.3/Classic due to no new class coming in an expansion that wouldn't be out for like two more quarters lol
  1. Orby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dystemper View Post
    Retail feels dead, worse than WOD levels at the end. BFA is a ghost town. Classic seeems tobe doing great, I see plenty of people all the time
    Hard to beat WoD levels when you were the only one in your garrison feeling like the only player in WoW :P
  1. Kyphael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hey There Guys its Metro View Post
    Did you mean 2021 or something?
    Or are you suggesting that people would unsub from 8.3/Classic due to no new class coming in an expansion that wouldn't be out for like two more quarters lol
    I meant Q4. lol
  1. Docturphil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Am I? The typical angry WoW Classic purist you see posting here about how retail fucked their mother and refuses to pay child support are not representative of the majority of players.
    Correct. They're not representing the majority of Classic players. They're representing the vast majority. Most Classic players haven't been active here in a long time because they've been sick of retail for years.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    It's included with the same subscription for a reason.
    Yes, to boost retail sub numbers in order to justify retail's existence. BfA was a steaming pile of dog turds. It's no coincidence Classic was released exactly half way through BfA.
  1. Kumorii's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Docturphil View Post
    Yes, to boost retail sub numbers in order to justify retail's existence.
    I think retail earning money is the only thing they care about to justify it's existence... trying to "trick" with numbers doesn't do anything good.
    If blizzard stop earning money on retail it will be discontinued.
  1. Gadzooks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    I like how you honestly think that classic alone is what effects the stock price of activision, king, and blizzard combined and that there aren't other factors involved.
    I didn't even begin to make that assertion, and it's hilarious that you're trying to make the case that I did.
  1. otaXephon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Docturphil View Post
    Correct. They're not representing the majority of Classic players. They're representing the vast majority. Most Classic players haven't been active here in a long time because they've been sick of retail for years.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Yes, to boost retail sub numbers in order to justify retail's existence. BfA was a steaming pile of dog turds. It's no coincidence Classic was released exactly half way through BfA.
    Yep, you figured it out. Classic is the only reason retail exists. This is why Blizzard spent so much of BlizzCon talking about all the great new content coming to Classic. The WoW Classic panel really helped drive home how Blizzard intends to abandon the retail game and refocus on outdated content. I just wish they'd lift the embargo on VODs of the panel...
  1. Docturphil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Yep, you figured it out. Classic is the only reason retail exists.
    I mean it's definitely a crutch for retail at the very least at this point. BfA sub numbers were quite abysmal from the supposed leaked sub numbers.
  1. otaXephon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Docturphil View Post
    I mean it's definitely a crutch for retail at the very least at this point. BfA sub numbers were quite abysmal from the supposed leaked sub numbers.
    They've never been leaked. Both Blizzard and the addon author who published the supposed leak admitted it was incorrectly gathered information. But hey, why let inconvenient things like facts get in the way of your smug hatred of retail?

Site Navigation