Reckful Passes Away
If you've been playing World of Warcraft for a while, you probably remember Reckful. He was one of the earlier WoW streamers and had many seasons of finishing at Rank 1 and was the first to reach a 3000 rating. He also created PvP videos, with Reckful 3 being one of the most popular.

He touched many lives over the years and will be missed.



In-Game Memorial
The community is gathering in Stormwind and Orgrimmar to remember and celebrate Byron. His brother has asked for stories about Reckful. Tekowsen shared a screenshot from Argent Dawn EU on Reddit.

This article was originally published in forum thread: Reckful Passes Away started by chaud View original post
Comments 170 Comments
  1. Coldkil's Avatar
    I clearly remember the amount of people that told me "i started playing rogue because of Reckful", and i always called them FOTM rerollers, heh.

    Really sad about hearing this. The guy was an incredible player and his contribute to the game was huge.
  1. gaymer77's Avatar
    I am at a loss for words reading this. I remember watching his videos and streams and reading up about him. As a person who has battled the demons of mental health to the point of suicide attempts that resulted in hospitalization more than once, I can understand how this happened to him. I hope that this community sees this as a wake up call to get help if they are in a similar situation of feeling that death is the only way out.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Bipolar is often hereditary. As are several mental health issues. For me, nearly half the males in my family have gone through depression and the crazy thing is, up until I started asking, they had not even figured out how widespread it was among us.
    So much truth to this post. My mother was bipolar. Her mother has depression & her mother had depression too. Both of my sisters have depression. My dad's mom has depression. Two of my three nieces have depression or are bipolar. I had no idea about most of my family's mental health until I was in my early to mid 20's. I had no idea my mom was bipolar until after her death when my primary doctor (he had been my doctor since I was 8 years old and also the primary doctor of my little sister & mom prior to their death of natural causes) mentioned to me about how my mom ALSO was bipolar on meds for it.
  1. Lewisaur's Avatar
    I like him so much out of all the streamers, I continued watching him even after he stopped playing wow. I'm sad he's hone.
  1. Kumorii's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post

    well that is reaching to much .

    certainly certain percentage is not really depression just people unable to deal with life problems and not having anyone to talk to because theur friends/family are to busy with their own lives to care .
    That usually leads to depression.

    but we live in world where access to psychiatrist is extremly easy - so first advice anyone claiming that they have depression is "you should talk to specialist not random nobodies on internet"
    Absolutely, thing is that depression is mostly self-diagnosed even if you talk to someone because that's how it's diagnosed. At least from my experience with it. I went to doctors and told them how I felt and yeah, you have depression. The reason I went to the doctors wasn't to confirm I have depression, I knew that already, I wanted to get help in which this is the first step. Then the actual therapist and psychiatrist try to look for WHY you have depression and starts doing tests for various mental disorders that can contribute and what struggles in life you have that could cause it.

    The entire notion of the other guy that 95% is just self-diagnosed, well yeah, that's how most people find out they have depression and seek help to treat it. It's a symptom, even if that is putting it lightly. It's like saying "everyone who has a cold are just self-diagnosed"...yeah, it they mostly are and we seek help to treat it if it's bad to see if there is something else.

    just wanted to give my take on it and quoted you to expand on what you said, I don't think the other guy would listen anyway by reading his take on depression.

    -----------------------------------------

    On-topic:
    I find the title a bit disrespectful. Passes away I thought he had an accident or died from Covid or another physical disease.
    He committed suicide. The fact that we can't even mention is a testament that we still have problems talking about suicide, which does a disservice to suicidal people. It enforces the idea that it's shameful and less will talk about it, which leads to just more actually follow through with their suicidal thoughts in the end.

    I know there is good intentions behind writing "passes away", but I think in general it's just hurtful.

    RIP. Always sad hearing people committing suicide.
  1. RobertMugabe's Avatar
    If I remember correctly, Reckful was also the first streamer or at least first known streamer who introduced text-donations.

    It's really a shame about him, but many people kinda saw it coming. He was very depressed, because his brother commited suicide too and his mom was suicidal as well.
  1. Kynario's Avatar
    Really sad... May he Rest in Peace. Wishing his family a lot of strength.
  1. Lightning-'s Avatar
    He had his flaws like all of us, but he did a lot for the community. Find the peace your soul needs Byron.
  1. kodemonkee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    Pretty sad and unexpected.
    I don't think it was unexpected, he tried 1 or 2 times to suicide in the past and we all knew he was mentally unstable and depressed and I don't know if the drugs he took was making it better or worse (psychedelic drugs). His brother did suicide too and his father wrote a book about it, Byron/Reckful did read a passage from it on his live stream, this must be horrible.

    RIP Reckful!

    Here is Reckful reading the part of his fathers book, ver very sad:
  1. relaxok's Avatar
    People saying they don’t know him because they don’t care about steamers.. uhm, he was the #1 wow pvper in Wrath of the Lich King.. he didn’t get famous streaming.
  1. keldarepewpew's Avatar
    Aa someone who spent nearly 2 years in psychiatrict institution it saddens me to read US institutions seem to not really help the patients at all. My experiences there really turned my life around and helped me cope with my disorders. I hope people get real help in the future.
  1. kamuimac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by relaxok View Post
    People saying they don’t know him because they don’t care about steamers.. uhm, he was the #1 wow pvper in Wrath of the Lich King.. he didn’t get famous streaming.
    see i have been playing this game for 15 years and this is literaly first time i hear about it from you .

    even though i spend so many months in ICC on all alts. and even though i lurk regularly on mmochampion .
  1. Xilurm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by meheez View Post
    Thats called growing up and using your head really. You really need to be unhealthy to internalize some stupid fuck on the internet. There needs to be a reason to feel a victim, you know.
    But that's the point. Mental illness makes that hard to do. People that suffer from that stuff can't think rationaly sometimes, which was obviously the case for Reckful. With his last tweets he was exposing himself but that's most likely because he was suffering a lot inside. And no, I'm not talking about the "oh no i got rejected im gonna be sad" type of suffering, this is much, much worse.
  1. keldarepewpew's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    its really not. for people who didnt knew him , he is just a statisctics - for example would you care that one of our company ex employees who got fired because of covid hung himself ? more so - i was the one who fired him - and i have to live with it - and function normaly and work because hiring / firing people is part of my job - i cant stop function just because someone died - i have my family and other workers who i have to care about on daily basis. . every day thousands of people commit suicide - yet we need to care about 1 individual just because he made wow videos ?

    life is hard brutal and unfair. it always was and it always will be - people die everyday and will continue to do so . .

    if you geniuinly want to raise avarness of depression and suicides im all for it.

    but lets be honest here - in 2 weeks nobody will remeber about it . thats the society we live in . world wont stop just because someone on internet died. people need to make some sort of wake and then move on with their lives.

    because thats what life is about - fighting and moving on constantly - not dwelling on past.
    Do not pretend asif you hold lifes secrets and know what life is really about. Your brutal truth is your own truth that doesnt make it a universal truth. Pretending you hold what is the one universal truth is really rediculous and shows you are not self aware at all.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by kodemonkee View Post
    Yeah if you compare the EU institutions to the US it is like night and day.
    Didnt know that untill today. Really sad to read. Mental disorders can be managed with the proper care.
  1. Terestrani's Avatar
    Is that the case? Thats quite a bummer for me. Im from Germany and I always got the impression that Mental Health is more recognized in the US than it is in Germany. But than again most of my references are from reddit and there the answer to most problems seems to be: Get a therapist. It is so hard to get one in Germany, even if you are willing to pay the bill yourself.Eventually I found one, but after 1 1\2 years I dont feel taken seriously and yes Im really willing to try every thing she is advising. And I spent a some time in a psychiatrict institution and got numerous of meds and it didnt help at all (Most of the time you get the cheapest stuff payed by health insurance). I always hoped to go to the US for treatment, but maybe Belgium is the place to go.

    (And yes I do sports, eat healthy, go out, have some good friends, a degree and a job: I turned my life really around since I was younger, but the depression just stayed)
  1. Mister K's Avatar
    Rest in Peace Mr Byron! Everytime Nostalgia hits me I think of you and handful others, the time where I loved and enjoyed the game. Mental Health is a bitch.

    He will be alive for a very long time in our thoughts!

  1. HumbleDuck's Avatar
    RIP

    I can't remember a time when he wasn't a prominent part of the community.

    Feels wierd man ...

    RIP Byron
  1. keldarepewpew's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Terestrani View Post
    Is that the case? Thats quite a bummer for me. Im from Germany and I always got the impression that Mental Health is more recognized in the US than it is in Germany. But than again most of my references are from reddit and there the answer to most problems seems to be: Get a therapist. It is so hard to get one in Germany, even if you are willing to pay the bill yourself.Eventually I found one, but after 1 1\2 years I dont feel taken seriously and yes Im really willing to try every thing she is advising. And I spent a some time in a psychiatrict institution and got numerous of meds and it didnt help at all (Most of the time you get the cheapest stuff payed by health insurance). I always hoped to go to the US for treatment, but maybe Belgium is the place to go.

    (And yes I do sports, eat healthy, go out, have some good friends, a degree and a job: I turned my life really around since I was younger, but the depression just stayed)
    I dont think Belgium is amazing at it either. The problem i have experienced with psychologists and psychiatrists is you need to find a person you click with and that understands you sometimes it takes a while of hopping between different people. It felt like playing roulette took me 4 different ones and a suicide attempt untill i found a team that was able to diagnose and help me properly. A big issue is the problems are seen as not severe untill something bad happends and diagnosing can be really difficult. In my case i was able to fool 2 psychiatrists because i was not ready for the right diagnoses myself untill i showed the last one what the real problem was, the fault was somewhat on me there for not opening up properly but also on them for not refering me to another one as soon as it was obvious our talks were going nowhere. Still proper help was eventually given and i havent felt depressed in over 3 years which is a big change from beeing constantly depressed over a period of 10 years.
  1. kamuimac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Canderous1 View Post
    nope. you don't. this post isn't ABOUT you, and if you don't care about Reckful, this post is also not FOR you.



    also not true, I won't forget Reckful for a long, long time, and I didn't know him personally at all.



    there is a big difference between dwelling on the past, and remembering.

    I don't understand this take or the need for this post in any way at all. Do you walk into funerals and kick the people there mourning their lost ones? If Reckul had no meaning to you what so ever then why even respond to this. Or is that just your thing.
    nope - im just giving you perspective why some people say "who it was - never heared of him" and are surprised why its main news as it has no connection to game developement.

    depression is serious business and should be treated as such by seeking help from proffesionals - thats siad majority of people play games to escape from real life problems - they dont need them in game too.
  1. keldarepewpew's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    nope - im just giving you perspective why some people say "who it was - never heared of him" and are surprised why its main news as it has no connection to game developement.

    depression is serious business and should be treated as such by seeking help from proffesionals - thats siad majority of people play games to escape from real life problems - they dont need them in game too.
    But it has to do with the gaming community there is a really loud vocal minority wich is so toxic it affects peoples mental state, people dont realise their words can have a big impact in games, You say we come here to escape the real world problems but toxic people bring those problems here and ridicule you for them, on top of that alot of people enable the behaviour by acting asif that behaviour is funny. How is that not a problem in the community. Acting asif this has nothing to do with gaming is putting your head in the sand. His last posts were litteraly riddled with people telling to kill himself. How the fuck is that not an issue with our community ????
  1. kodemonkee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by keldarepewpew View Post
    But it has to do with the gaming community there is a really loud vocal minority wich is so toxic it affects peoples mental state, people dont realise their words can have a big impact in games, You say we come here to escape the real world problems but toxic people bring those problems here and ridicule you for them, on top of that alot of people enable the behaviour by acting asif that behaviour is funny. How is that not a problem in the community. Acting asif this has nothing to do with gaming is putting your head in the sand.
    It has 100% to do with gaming, internet and the generation now which only sits at home and the only social interaction is via Discord/game chat/whatsapp and their parents and/or brothers and sisters. I have a feeling the younger generation doesn't go outside and talk to other people which is really important for a human.

    When I was younger there were no mobile phones when we wanted to meet for the next day with the friends we said it a day before and met there at this and this time. It was really better. Nowadays every little 12 year old kid has a mobile and sits in front of it 24/7 in their room.

Site Navigation