Feedback: Runecarving
Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
In the Shadowlands, players will meet the Runecarver, a mysterious figure locked away in the very depths of Torghast. To find the Runecarver, players will need to go through the initial Torghast experience and defeat Warden Skoldus in Skoldus Halls, receiving a mysterious key which starts the questline that unlocks the beginning of the Runecarver’s story. Once unlocked, players will be able to call on the power of the Runecarver to carve ancient runes on their armor and imbue them with Legendary power.

For testing, we plan to add a teleport NPC inside Torghast that will take testers directly to the Runecarver, so they can begin crafting their own Legendary armor almost immediately.

Memories and Legendary Powers
To craft Legendary armor, you’ll first need to retrieve specific memories that contain Legendary powers. These memories can be found all over Shadowlands – from questing, running dungeons with friends, fighting against the enemy faction, or defeating powerful foes in Castle Nathria and the Maw, there will be plenty of work for the bravest of champions to do in order to collect them all.

Once found, players can take these memories back to the Runecarver in Torghast, who will then be able to imbue specific Profession-crafted armor pieces with this power. Not all powers can be applied to all armor slots. For example, some powers can only be applied to Boots and Pants.

The Legendary powers available to players in Shadowlands have strong ties to the history of Azeroth. As they are memories in their base form, these Legendary powers are new interpretations of Set Bonuses, Legendaries, and other powers that players have had access to in World of Warcraft’s history. In addition to these more historic powers, players will also be able to unlock a few Torghast Anima Powers as possible Legendary powers.

Crafting your Legendary
Before you can craft your Legendary, you’ll need to gather a few materials first:

  • A Base Item. These items are created by Blacksmiths, Leatherworkers, Tailors and Jewelcrafters and serve as the vessel for Legendary powers. These items are not soulbound, and can be acquired from other players, alts or the Auction House. There’s no requirement that a character has to have a crafting profession to make Legendary armor; crafting Legendaries is open to all players as long as you’ve collected the appropriate reagents.
  • The Legendary power of your choosing.
  • Two Optional Reagents. These optional reagents dictate the secondary stats (Critical Strike, Haste, Mastery and Versatility) of the crafted Legendary. Unlike normal Profession crafted items, these reagents are necessary for the creation of Legendary armor.
  • Carcerus. This raw source of power is used to fuel the Runecarver’s Chamber and is needed to craft Legendary armor. Carcerus is found in Torghast as a reward for completing sections of the Tower. As the item level of the Base Item increases, so does the required fuel to create Legendaries, so players will need more Carcerus as they start crafting higher item level pieces.

Somehow, the friendly Runeataur has found himself stuck inside the Runecarver’s chamber. He’ll be able to supply players with the base armor pieces, legendary powers, optional reagents, and Carcerus required to craft Legendary armor. But he’s not a big fan of being trapped inside the chamber with the Runecarver, so he won’t be around for long.

Additional Information and Updates
Players will only be able to wear one piece of Legendary Armor at a time and Legendary powers cannot be applied to Weapons or Trinkets.

To start, there will be an allotment of 4 Legendary powers for each base class and 4 for each spec. In addition to that, there will be a generic pool of Legendary powers available to all classes.

Not all classes currently have Legendary powers implemented. We expect to get all of the class powers in place over the next few weeks.

In the coming weeks, we’re planning on adding a system to allow players to upgrade the item level of their Legendary armor through the Runecarver. If they’ve imbued a lower item level piece, they’ll be able to collect more materials from Torghast and Professions, instead of having to imbue a brand new piece of armor.
This article was originally published in forum thread: Feedback: Runecarving started by Stoy View original post
Comments 61 Comments
  1. Lurker1's Avatar
    very cool!
  1. Eapoe's Avatar
    I can see a lot of complaints about the professions for legendaries topic.
  1. longevity's Avatar
    so many systems layered on top of each other for the core power progression in shadowlands

    god i miss just fighting for loot without another 4 systems making my loot almost worthless unless I grind them as well
  1. Lurker1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by longevity View Post
    so many systems layered on top of each other for the core power progression in shadowlands

    god i miss just fighting for loot without another 4 systems making my loot almost worthless unless I grind them as well
    But hey forges are gone just got replaced with annoying crap to do now this is what people wanted lol!
  1. det's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by longevity View Post
    so many systems layered on top of each other for the core power progression in shadowlands
    Agreed.

    And systems upon systems is also that has been going on for some time now.

    Apparently Blizzard thinks it works for the ppl who are left in the game...well....better than removing all these systems and give us whatever we had back in 2005
  1. Amerissis's Avatar
    Well, cancerous carcerus is a pretty bad name.
  1. Thelxi's Avatar
    While I'm sure that the precursor/base/crafted legendary items will be very affordable, be aware people and sheep that this is a a small but significant step in the direction of involving gold, and your credit card, more directly into character progression.

    I like warning people about these experimental milestones, because people gobble this shit up ("it's so affordable who cares!") and before you know it the shit is up to our necks. When Blizzard moved justice/valor/honor/CP vendors to fucking africa in MoP you couldn't convince these idiots that something was brewing over in Irvine either, and yet here we are in 2020 with these same idiots clamoring for the return of these very same vendors who are now a distant memory.

    Just saying people, burn some calories and ask yourself if this really is something you need/want.
  1. Sentynel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    While I'm sure that the precursor/base/crafted legendary items will be very affordable, be aware people and sheep that this is a a small but significant step in the direction of involving gold, and your credit card, more directly into character progression.

    I like warning people about these experimental milestones, because people gobble this shit up ("it's so affordable who cares!") and before you know it the shit is up to our necks. When Blizzard moved justice/valor/honor/CP vendors to fucking africa in MoP you couldn't convince these idiots that something was brewing over in Irvine either, and yet here we are in 2020 with these same idiots clamoring for the return of these very same vendors who are now a distant memory.

    Just saying people, burn some calories and ask yourself if this really is something you need/want.
    Or you can always just stop playing the game if you don't enjoy it anymore. No need for tinfoil hat bullshit like this.
  1. twothe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    Just saying people, burn some calories and ask yourself if this really is something you need/want.
    Have you played retail WoW recently? You can already buy about every item, achievement or mount with your credit card. People drag you through everything so you don't have to play the game anymore, just insert coin and you are good to go!

    That said: BfA currently feels like 20 different systems no one liked have been thrown into a blender, and they call the result content.
  1. Thelxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sentynel View Post
    Or you can always just stop playing the game if you don't enjoy it anymore. No need for tinfoil hat bullshit like this.
    It is kinda funny how you would just willingly walk right into this one. It's like a "yeah, so what" kinda attitude that genuinely does entertain me.

    Go on my friend, leave me and my tinfoil hat alone.
  1. toringx's Avatar
    So much for letting loot just be loot... Really getting tired of them adding all these systems to loot requiring extra grinds etc in order to maximize your gear. I would love to just go back to the days of getting a piece of loot, throwing in a gem or enchant then be done with it until the next raid tier.
  1. Thelxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by twothe View Post
    Have you played retail WoW recently? You can already buy about every item, achievement or mount with your credit card. People drag you through everything so you don't have to play the game anymore, just insert coin and you are good to go!

    That said: BfA currently feels like 20 different systems no one liked have been thrown into a blender, and they call the result content.
    Absolutely true, but many of those transactions are indirect often not even involving Blizzard or gold. If you've played GW2 you probably know what it is like to have currency directly tied to character progression and have currency pretty much spread its tendrils into every aspect of the game, directly and indirectly. WoW is not quite there yet, but it sure is going that way.
  1. Onikaroshi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by toringx View Post
    So much for letting loot just be loot... Really getting tired of them adding all these systems to loot requiring extra grinds etc in order to maximize your gear. I would love to just go back to the days of getting a piece of loot, throwing in a gem or enchant then be done with it until the next raid tier.
    When we had legendaries that you had to jump through hoops to get?
  1. Kuja's Avatar
    Only armor? I would have liked to craft my own legendary weapon. And give it a name too.
  1. Eldarius's Avatar
    As a wow player of 15 years - i'm glad they're removing so many RNG elements from the live game. It's a progressive step forward.

    They're still "over-systemizing" shadowlands though. Way too much to take in, and evidently most if it will be cookie cutter (covenants).

    Make a new system, do it well. Make it complex if u like, but do it well. The casuals will still endeavour to learn it. Make 3-4 new complicated systems which are almost certainly going to be min-maxed and make players learn each expansion is a bad thing. e.g. WOTLK adding knockback mechanics and armor pen - good attempt at new gameplay, not too complicated.

    Best players will learn the new systems in days, min max it and discover the flaws. Casuals will just about learn the system by the end of expansion and then it'll get axed for new stuff. Bad design.
  1. ryanmahaffe's Avatar
    Why are people having such stroke ove these "systems" like they are so simple to understand it's ridiculous
    this is just a UI that you put items together in to craft a legendary, it is that simple.
  1. Frolk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmahaffe View Post
    Why are people having such stroke ove these "systems" like they are so simple to understand it's ridiculous
    this is just a UI that you put items together in to craft a legendary, it is that simple.
    People are afraid of new things and they want loot served to them, or sent to their mailbox.

    If they got their wish, they would quit soon after as they complain "Loot is boring and there is nothing to do, Blizzard ffs"
  1. Soeroah's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    I can see a lot of complaints about the professions for legendaries topic.
    Hopefully they'll at least read enough to know that having a crafting profession isn't required to get a legendary.
  1. Eldarius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frolk View Post
    People are afraid of new things and they want loot served to them, or sent to their mailbox.

    If they got their wish, they would quit soon after as they complain "Loot is boring and there is nothing to do, Blizzard ffs"
    People aren't afraid of new things. People are afraid of 3-4 new complicated systems that don't really work, so u have to research cookie cutter stuff. By the time people understand fully these new systems its time for the next expac and that info is useless because theres 3-4 new complicated systems to learn.

    As a 15 year vet i love "new" - just not this mass implementation of hardcore systems that change every year, and always turn out to be massively flawed.

    edit: war mode, island expeds, arathi highlands / darkshore pve bollocks. plus titanforging and shit tertiary stat weights.
  1. HitRefresh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    I can see a lot of complaints about the professions for legendaries topic.
    I like it, it encourages trading and makes professions actually useful, and maybe actually worth investing time into again.

Site Navigation