PvP Item Levels in Chains of Domination
Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
In Shadowlands, we’ve been happy to see that the reintroduction of Honor, Conquest, and PvP gear vendors has been well-received by players. Nonetheless, we feel that there is still room for improvement. One piece of feedback we’ve heard repeatedly is that PvP gear needs something special for it to stand apart in PvP specific situations.

In an upcoming build of the Chains of Domination PTR, you will notice that all Season 2 PvP items have +13 item levels in PvP. This means that in PvP situations (such as battlegrounds, arenas, and war mode), the power of these items will increase by 13 item levels. Along with this, the baseline item level of these items will be reduced by 6 from where it would have otherwise been.

If this arrangement had been in place during Shadowlands Season 1, Duelist gear would have had a baseline item level of 220 and would have scaled up to item level 233 in Season 1 PvP.

What we want here is for the different endgame sources of gear to be viable in all content, while the very best gear for PvP generally comes from PvP activities, and the very best gear for raids and dungeons generally comes from raids and dungeons. We believe this small adjustment gets us closer to accomplishing that, while still allowing for plenty of crossover play between PvE and PvP.
This article was originally published in forum thread: PvP Item Levels in Chains of Domination started by Lumy View original post
Comments 122 Comments
  1. Cracked's Avatar
    Not a big fan. Let loot be loot, without gimmicky +ilvl in some situations.

    Put a 13 slot set bonus on PvP gear with different effects at different numbers of items if you want something special for PvP gear in PvP.
  1. Kaykay's Avatar
    not much reason to pvp anymore then, is there.
    If i wanted to play a hero arena game with a character that can only progress in that specific gametype, i'd be playing league of legends or DOTA, not wow arena.

    Let WOW progression be more than just raiding and weekly chests please.
  1. Sentynel's Avatar
    Yes, this change will certainly fix things like this:

  1. jsrfuture's Avatar
    I would be happy with this change, even wish they double down on it actually. Pve player should never have to do pvp for their pve gear.
    Forcing pve player into pvp for their gear have always been awful, obviously pvp and pvp/pve player like competing with people who do not want to pvp, since it give them easy rating.
  1. Gorsameth's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracked View Post
    Not a big fan. Let loot be loot, without gimmicky +ilvl in some situations.

    Put a 13 slot set bonus on PvP gear with different effects at different numbers of items if you want something special for PvP gear in PvP.
    The current situation meant that PvP gear was a superior method of gearing for PvE because it was entirely targeted and deterministic.
    They had to either nerf the way you got PvP gear (obviously highly unpopular with PvP players) or make PvP gear worse in PvE so that it wasn't the optimal way to gear up.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Sentynel View Post
    Yes, this change will certainly fix things like this:
    This change has nothing to do with burst in PvP.
    Its about stopping PvP from being the superior form of gearing for PvE.
  1. Kel_Sceptic's Avatar
    YES, 2 birds with one stone.
    1. PvE players will lose interest in farming PvP gear since -6ilvl;
    2. PvP players that only PvP will now have an actual chance against highend PvE players that come in 1000-1600 rating.

    Really great improvement!
  1. sandbox1's Avatar
    What a silly change that no one asked for. How about scale up all honor and conquest gear to a set levels in instanced PVP so that people are competing with similar ilvl? Also allow ilvl upgrades outside of instanced PVP as is now. This would solve huge gear discrepancies and boosting.
  1. LedZeppelin's Avatar
    honestly its pretty fair
  1. Cracked's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    The current situation meant that PvP gear was a superior method of gearing for PvE because it was entirely targeted and deterministic.
    They had to either nerf the way you got PvP gear (obviously highly unpopular with PvP players) or make PvP gear worse in PvE so that it wasn't the optimal way to gear up.

    - - - Updated - - -

    This change has nothing to do with burst in PvP.
    Its about stopping PvP from being the superior form of gearing for PvE.
    In a way. Full vers gear was still absolute garbage for majority of specs so I never saw a problem with that, but you do you.
  1. Draxxus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jsrfuture View Post
    I would be happy with this change, even wish they double down on it actually. Pve player should never have to do pvp for their pve gear.
    Forcing pve player into pvp for their gear have always been awful, obviously pvp and pvp/pve player like competing with people who do not want to pvp, since it give them easy rating.
    How is it forcing pve players into pvp? It was an option for gear. With this change its just one less option to have when gearing up.
  1. vian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sentynel View Post
    Yes, this change will certainly fix things like this:

    That's final alright.
  1. Varaben's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kel_Sceptic View Post
    YES, 2 birds with one stone.
    1. PvE players will lose interest in farming PvP gear since -6ilvl;
    2. PvP players that only PvP will now have an actual chance against highend PvE players that come in 1000-1600 rating.

    Really great improvement!
    But neither of those is a real problem in pvp right now. The real problem is pvpers with 226 stomp all over pvpers with 213. the scaling is out of control.
  1. Fabinas's Avatar
    Noooo, you cannot get gear from PvP to PvE. You have to grind our convoluted and stingy systems if you're a PvE player.
  1. Ivank0v's Avatar
    Here we go again.

    Again.

    Looking forward to templates.
  1. kiramon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracked View Post
    Not a big fan. Let loot be loot, without gimmicky +ilvl in some situations.

    Put a 13 slot set bonus on PvP gear with different effects at different numbers of items if you want something special for PvP gear in PvP.
    Isn't it funny they touted let loot be loot, but have done nothing but make systems that go against loot being loot?

    :P
  1. Glorious Leader's Avatar
    So basically enough people cried about having to pvp. Daddy developer to the rescue again.
  1. Kel_Sceptic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaben View Post
    But neither of those is a real problem in pvp right now. The real problem is pvpers with 226 stomp all over pvpers with 213. the scaling is out of control.
    Actually, my problem was always PvErs that were like 213-215 and were farming 226 PvP gear.
    Me, as a Fury Warrior with 202 ilvl in 1250CR, I encounter 36-38-40k HP people in this bracket, and the vast majority of those are PvErs that want to skip 3-4 weeks of PvE farming and they just start destroying PvP only players like me, for their, now fast, 220/226 PvP gear.


    From my PoV, they should have just add templates between brackets, so that if you are pre-1400 all have max 200ilvl, pre 1600 all have max 207, pre 1800 all have max 213. So that way, if a 220 ilvl PvP geared guy starts sucking in skill, he would not win just because he was boosted to 2100, and he will have to fight for that climb like the rest of us.
  1. Mightytasty's Avatar
    This change was needed. If you think otherwise you’re a complete idiot, or just complaining to complain. Rated PvP being the meta for PvE in season 1 was complete cancer. With this change, PvP will still be good in PvE, just not meta.

    That said, Blizzard still needs to fix scaling within PvP. The gear delta between rating brackets shouldn’t be so extreme.
  1. Zypherz's Avatar
    EDIT:

    I've misread the scaling changes, it's still not particularly the change that I would have asked for, but I can live with it.
  1. Frozenbeef's Avatar
    What we want here is for the different endgame sources of gear to be viable in all content,
    So we are nerfing the different endgame sources of gear so they aren't viable in all content.

Site Navigation