Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Add "raped" and "raping" to the word filter?

Would it be possible to add the word "rape" and its permutations like "raping/raped/rapedlol" to the word filter.

I'm sure the word would have legit uses for discussing lore and whatnot, or talking about rl personal stuff in OT forum or whatever, but that could be easily circumvented by using words that the average troll won't use when trying to describe his uber ownage of this or that.

Thank you.

Nop.

For the same reasons why we don't ban people for "WOW THIS IS SO GAY!" or stuff like that, it's just general gaming vocabulary and even if it's not really pretty we can't really start censoring/banning for that. You'll just end up with people doing their best to circumvent that anyway.

Edit: It doesn't mean you can use these words freely, you are A LOT MORE likely to get banned by using them. Just because we're not censoring doesn't mean we're not going to kick your ass for being stupid.
    Last edited by Boubouille; 2011-01-08 at 12:16 AM.

I might be playing the anti-thesis here, but is it really that much of a problem?

You, your children, friends, etc will hear and read the word eventually if not constantly...it's just a word and you can tell a whole lot about someones intentions and intellectual capacity from the way they speak/write.

You just got sexed :P
    L2P or GTFO
    - Gear isn't free, earn it
    - I also have opinions regarding this game, you're not special
    - LFG Heroics.

Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Nop.

For the same reasons why we don't ban people for "WOW THIS IS SO GAY!" or stuff like that, it's just general gaming vocabulary and even if it's not really pretty we can't really start censoring/banning for that. You'll just end up with people doing their best to circumvent that anyway.

Edit: It doesn't mean you can use these words freely, you are A LOT MORE likely to get banned by using them. Just because we're not censoring doesn't mean we're not going to kick your ass for being stupid.
    This post makes me happy. There has been an aura of censorship on this forum, respectfully in my opinion, since the new wave of moderators. I'm glad to see some reinforcement here that we can use free speech on this site that we all love!

10+ Year Old Account
    To be fair, the word is used in one of the videos you linked. You can't blame people for essentially quoting it.

Deleted
    Garfield ftw btw.....!!!!!..!!..!!!!....!!!!!!!!!

Sry for the Off-topic but got inspired by Boubouille.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by awake283 View Post
    This post makes me happy. There has been an aura of censorship on this forum, respectfully in my opinion, since the new wave of moderators. I'm glad to see some reinforcement here that we can use free speech on this site that we all love!
    Don't be silly I got banned for using "strong" arguments in an argue (I know lol... who would argue with ARGUEments?) and didn't even insult anyone. I did get unbanned tho after a long appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Nop.

i think thats tripe. someone very close to me was raped and i want to smash the face of anyone that uses it out of context. its a mean word and it shouldnt be used.. at all.

I personally dislike the casual mis-use of words such as "rape" "abortion" and "gay". I will not use them as slang. However, If I had the power, I wouldn't choose to prevent other people from using them if they chose to.
    Last edited by Duskmourne; 2011-01-08 at 01:58 AM. Reason: big typo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Duskmourne View Post
    I personally dislike the casual use of words such as "rape" "abortion" and "gay". I will not use them as slang. However, If I had the power, I wouldn't choose to prevent other people from using them if they chose to.
    Yeah, I completely agree with this. It's practically human rights vs morals, and a debate that will continue to go on, this is probably the best stance to take.

Edit: fixing your typo in my quote
    Last edited by Syntic; 2011-01-08 at 02:00 AM.

I think you are just being touchy, Is it really that big a deal to you? maybe the internet isn't the place for you
    Hi Sephurik

Quote Originally Posted by Volitar View Post
    I think you are just being touchy, Is it really that big a deal to you? maybe the internet isn't the place for you
    dont worry, someone will push your buttons one day and you'll be here posting QQ about something you dont like.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichiago View Post
    Don't be silly I got banned for using "strong" arguments in an argue (I know lol... who would argue with ARGUEments?) and didn't even insult anyone. I did get unbanned tho after a long appeal.
    Agreed. Mods seem to be far too liberal with bans on here. And lengthy (week long) bans at that. I personally don't like censorship, but if you're going to ban someone for using the words, I'd rather they just be censored. Usually if I disagree with something on the topic I try to just not post in the thread rather than risk a ban for "trolling" or "flaming"

people really need to chill out.

Instead of spending your time complaining about the use of words that most people are desensitized to (thank the media and society for that), why not let it slide off your shoulder...ignorance is bliss in most cases for those people..and I assure you they generally mean no serious harm.

Example:

I'm going to rape you. = Bad context

Yo br0! U just gawt rappppedd = Somewhat ignorant but normal context.

I'm educated, not intolerant, etc...and I still tend to say it. Because as the famous saying goes...

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me"
    L2P or GTFO
    - Gear isn't free, earn it
    - I also have opinions regarding this game, you're not special
    - LFG Heroics.

10+ Year Old Account
    Born: Syracuse, NY; Currently live: Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Ltsmash View Post
    i think thats tripe. someone very close to me was raped and i want to smash the face of anyone that uses it out of context. its a mean word and it shouldnt be used.. at all.
    I too know people close to me that have been raped, but lets be serious here. As with many words the common misconception is that the current "meaning" of a word is the only meaning. to quote Dictionary.com:

rape: an act of plunder, violent seizure, or abuse; despoliation; violation: the rape of the countryside

The use of the word in context as such of "that DK was raped by that Rogue" is correct useage. Though it does carry connotations and might spring terrible horrible memories / visuals to ones mind I agree with Boulli. The word originally meant to forcibly take something from someone.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you want to protest about something... protest about "Honor Kills"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honor_killing
    Feral Druids are the most "feared" class in PvP.
    Warodl - Warod

coldbear, in the post you linked to the dk forums, when you talk about paladins you say "so efff them". Seems to me like that implies forced intercoarse in a non-serious, joking way.

kinda like saying you got raped.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Raped is an important word. censoring it will be like censoring "pwned"

Quote Originally Posted by Ltsmash View Post
    But isn't that like taking the term "hacking" out of its desired context would be terrible to a person from a hatchet murder would offend someone. Imagine if censorship was enforced like that, we'd barely be able to say anything. Let's say you play an FPS and you brought up "putting bullets in heads" or "headshots." Would it be right if someone got you banned/arrested for saying it because their family was a victim of a murder involving shots to the head?

Your personal problems are not those of others, and shouldn't enforce your demands against their freedom of speech. Like BB said, it will be enforced under circumstances, and I think thats more than enough to suit your demends. You should be more concerned if people are constantly using it with ill intent. I understand where you're coming from, but it's a very flaky issue to touch and isn't cool to try to ruin other people based on what offends you. If you don't like it, don't read it, that's all.