Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Just finished playing 32 hrs of Rift, and it is on par with cataclysm!

Rift beta was amazing this weekend... I really didnt expect to get in because i signed up the day before it started so I was EXTREMELY lucky to get picked.

I got my Defiant cleric:speced shaman,druid, warden to level 24.

First let me say questing...
    Unlike some crappy mmo's (AION) where u run out of quests and basically have to grind your way to levels mindlessly, RIFT has a ton of quests... Never ending, story lines. Every time a chain ended a new one would appear. VERY NICE!
    Where cataclysm wins would be the ability to use vehicles, and observe cut scenes. Rift is a new game so i wont hate on them for that, they have a couple years to develop.

The graphics...
    Rift graphics are poorly optimized, some people with crap systems claim they were fine, some with highend said no way im getting low fps. It was a mixed bag. There is a debugger running so you lose about 20+ fps they say. But where cataclysm wins is optimization across the board. The fact that you can run WoW on almost anything is great. The avg wow player probably doesnt have a i5+, 6gigs, and a geforce 4 or better. So the avg wow population probably wont like the fact they cant run rift on ultra.
    BUT! The graphics on rift look amazing, the colors are amazing, the art work is fantastic. Animations are smooth, only probably i found was the swimming controls were funky. If you have a highend system, rift will be on par or better than cataclysm.

PVP
    I did a couple warfronts which is similar to BG. Personally I didnt like it, it sucked. The combat was very slow, i found myself desperately trying out dmg healing clerics heals and failing. People last entirely too long. It feels like a holy paladin on holy paladin duel, no one will win for an hour or two. The capture the flag style map was pretty basic, nothing to see there folks. MEH! The conquest type map was a little more fun, but like wow people just fought on the roads instead of doing the objectives. Cataclysm wins in terms of BG's. PVP however in rift might end up being better, because of the fact you have so many different class combos. TOO MANY CLASS COMBOS IN FACT, not sure how they are balancing all those specs.

Instances/PVE
    SICK! I love the feel of the first available instance. At first i was like "wow this sucks..." But then i came to my senses, and i said "did Dm suck, did RFK suck..." Its obviously going to suck if you have done high end pve in warcraft. But realistically, rift hit PVE on the head. They did a great job, you have to cc, snare mobs etc. Bosses are also scripted a bit, and there was even a trash mechanic requiring players to stand on these orbs to keep mobs from spawning. AMAZING! In can see end game instances being on par with cataclysm for sure. DPS was fun, imo better than cata, but healing was not. Cataclysm healing might actually require more skill, thus being more fun. I found healing to be whack a mole and snooze. Outdoor PVE is by far the most amazingly epic thing ever! Every so often, actually randomly. Rifts(giant portals with shit coming out) will take over the zones, as a faction you have to work together to stop the rifts of opening and taking over. Its a FACTION EFFORT! There is no raid groups or anything, anyone participating in killing rifts will get credit, and marks to buy gear. GOOD GEAR! So its rewarding to kill rifts with your faction. Think elemental invasion but 30000x more epic and rewarding. Having 200+ players around u killing one dude is an amazing feeling! Cataclysm has left me at times feeling like "ughh theres nothing else to do..." well in rift you always have something to do, kill rifts, get gear. Find rift events. If warcrat had random world events, where the faction had to work together it would be a much better game. Rift is doing something right.

Interface
    Its very similar to wow, actually fuck it... ITS TOO SIMILAR. Complete rip off lol, and i love it. Why not use wow interface, it works! Anyone who plays wow can pick this game up and know exactly where to go, its 1:1 in some respects. Unlike warcraft you can costomize the ui without addons. Something cataclysm may need in the future. You can move, and resize EVERYTHING! You dont need addons, maybe a dps meter but thats it lol. GTG! I think if Rift continues to swagger jack WoW things will be alright.

Overall impressed with rift, i didnt think it would be able to touch cataclysm. But it might give blizz a run for its money.
    Im praying i get into beta 5, if i do and Rift is updated to be something even more amazing that what it already is... I will not be renewing wow sub, im preordering rift. The game as it is needs work, but its almost there.
    Last edited by TheEverydayDre; 2011-01-10 at 06:55 PM.

www.youtube.com/TheEverydayDre Cata raid vids coming soon.

Deleted
    It's nice that you like it, now, get out from WoW-forums :F

Quote Originally Posted by Nirse View Post
    It's nice that you like it, now, get out from WoW-forums :F
    Sorry im just comparing and contrasting...

15+ Year Old Account
    Think you want to place it here: http://www.mmo-champion.com/forums/293-Video-Games
    Junglebeast @ Stormscale EU |

My Guild has VIP Beta passes. Here's how we feel...

Questing:
    You can't compare it to Aion. At low levels, Aion also has a sufficient amount of quests. It wasn't until late game did you have to grind.

Graphics:
    Same engine as Warhammer. Look it up. Outdated, and won't get much better.

PvP
    Meh. Clunky and slow.

Instances:
    Has potential for the reasons you stated.

Interface:
    Warhammers interface, not WoW's.

Overall:
    3/10 Mostly due to the outdated Graphics engine and similarity to Warhammer.

Yeah this really should be in off topic since it has nothing to do with WoW but your opinion that its close to it.

OT: I agree I played rift last beta open and this one as well and I must say its a game that will take up my free time well over WoW if they fix some thing and dont turn into another Warhammer faceplant of fail.

Well i got into the beta to rift too. It is indeed a decent game but i feel i can't really be bothered i got myself to lvl 9 when it became dull, the questing was all either pickup or kill x mob quests, i did enjoy the way the classes worked really awsome the i ran a tank rogue,i kinda don't get the tanking rogue part but it was decen't neverheles. I must say that the questing in cata is alot better, i can't comment on pvp since i didn't try it.

And could some1 move this to offtopic?

It has some good features, such as import for settings / ui / chat / copy from one char to another, but its still lacking the polish of the warcraft UI

sounds like a shittier version of warhammer, if that is even possible.

Quote Originally Posted by thepreacher View Post

Questing:
    You can't compare it to Aion. At low levels, Aion also has a sufficient amount of quests. It wasn't until late game did you have to grind.

Graphics:

PvP
    Meh. Clunky and slow.

Instances:

Interface:

Overall:
    Have you seen wows graphics engine? lol

15+ Year Old Account
    Got invited to, played a bit, felt just like aion to me, idd it has more storys and things to do .. maybe, but overal im not that exited.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange Aeons even Death may die.

Quote Originally Posted by thepreacher View Post

Questing:

Graphics:

PvP
    Meh. Clunky and slow.

Instances:

Interface:

Overall:
    I think the graphics are fine, its just the optimization im worried about. if they can get the game to run well most rigs, then it will be that much more successful.

IM not throwing PVP under the bus yet, because if you compare lvl 20 warcraft pvp its not that hot either. I think it will become a little more fast when you get newer talents and gear.

Im a huge PVE'er which is why i couldnt get into aion at all... Rift might be able to steal the show if it focuses on PVE, and the lore. They have to do something about healing, its just bad.

I have no REAL complaints. If beta was still up id probably be playing all day! Shit if beta was up all week, id probably call out work for the next 2 days. I was having fun, and i didnt even hit level 27 yet.

I heard the end game will be 50. Sounds promising, i just hope there are plenty of quests, i dont want to grind at any point.

Quote Originally Posted by Morthas View Post
    Got invited to, played a bit, felt just like aion to me, idd it has more storys and things to do .. maybe, but overal im not that exited.
    I thought the same till i got to level 10ish, saw the rifts opening, did the world event. Looked at my warcraft icon on my desktop and said "fuck that..." LOL!

Its so no where near AION, I have aion collectors edition. Shiit sucked so bad once i hit level 18+. Found myself having to grind, the first pve experience i had turned me off too... Then everyone said "if you like pve why are u playing aion..." So i quit lol. But Rift pve is off the charts.

Also you should be spanked like a toddler for wasting your beta inv, you know how many people wanted to get in. And you did...
    Last edited by TheEverydayDre; 2011-01-10 at 07:10 PM.

I can't really see the reason for the hype over RIFT. I've gotten tired of MMOs still trying the same boring formula. RIFT doesn't seem to have anything new or interesting.

Bring on TERA/Guild Wars 2 I say :/. At least they are doing something different.

ps: I like how the OP is already making excuses for the game. "Well, WoW wasn't that great at this level either" "they are new... they'll get time to figure it out". Yeah you would think people would learn that that sort of shit just doesn't change 95% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by xile View Post
    Have you seen wows graphics engine? lol
    Yes. For being nearly a decade old, it does a fantastic job at what it does.

The Gamebryo engine has no place in a newly developed game in my humble opinion.

I also got invited and played a little bit. It seemed to be pretty nice, though the fps were pretty low even on a non ultra setting for me. I felt a little lost and confused, which is to be expected, but overall it seemed really nice. For me, it all comes down to what the community is going to be like. Because that's the only horrible thing in WoW.
    Personal site: http://fuh-q.com
    My Kitteh's personal site: http://kitteh.in

PvP is always very entertaining when nobody knows what to do. Goes for any game

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrant View Post
    I can't really see the reason for the hype over RIFT. I've gotten tired of MMOs still trying the same boring formula. RIFT doesn't seem to have anything new or interesting.

Bring on TERA/Guild Wars 2 I say :/. At least they are doing something different.

ps: I like how the OP is already making excuses for the game. "Well, WoW wasn't that great at this level either" "they are new... they'll get time to figure it out". Yeah you would think people would learn that that sort of shit just doesn't change 95% of the time.
    But its true... You cant compare twink pvp to end game pvp... Am I right. In Rift beta we are basically twinks lol. Im not making excuses for the game, im just saying the potential is there.

It does indeed remind me a lot of Warhammer, which dampens my enthousiasm quite a bit. But who knows, they might pull it off. I'll keep following it and see where it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Holyana View Post
    For me, it all comes down to what the community is going to be like. Because that's the only horrible thing in WoW.
    As time goes on, the online community in general just seems to get SO much worse. Back when I played EverQuest, before WoW, people were a lot nicer. You didn't see guys trolling channels. People were helpful. Even in WoW's early days, it wasn't bad. Then, something happened.

Server and name transfers. And Blood Elves.

Before you could just switch servers, if you were a huge dickbag, people would go to your GM, and your guild rep actually mattered. If you got kicked, they'd follow your ass to whatever guild you were applying to, and let them know you're a huge dickbag. You actually had to behave to get involved with the social aspects of the game (like raiding). The PuG-fest that was Wrath allowed you to raid without even being in a guild, so it worsened by a great deal. Even now, when blizz is pulling back on that model, making being guilded important, I think douchebags are too far gone to go back.

I don't know how/if Rifts is going to address this, but I'm looking forward to getting into the beta and trying it out.
    There were around 7,000 Greeks in total at the Battle of Thermopylae.
    Not just the Spartans and a few inept imbeciles to play clean up.
    Friends don't let friends listen to Zach Snyder/

Good! Competition is good! it makes EVERY consumer/user/player win. It makes blizzard have to pay attention and make changes and add features. I said this in another thread (Granted that was a DCU thread which isnt going to put up any competition to wow.... but it still stands)

"The BEST thing that could happen to wow is a GOOD and popular MMO coming out. It would force blizzard to balance, add features and make new and interesting things in the game. It may also do things like lower prices, especially of luxury services or make them offer package deals ect.

The best thing for the consumer of ANY business is to have GOOD competition to what they love because it keeps the company from going lax.

Stop and think, outside of PVP balance or PVP nerfs not effecting PVE what other abilities, features, ect do you want in wow? Best bet for wow to get better and include those? Competition from a well thought out and featured game bu a competent company.

Heres a great example, MOST if not all other games have one but blizzard has chosen to ignore the crys for it:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...1899278?page=1

Its a 263 pages long and they haven't even said yes or no, they've just chosen to ignore it. Things like that wouldn't happen if there was competition. They would be fixing bugs, balance and problems faster.

So will it be the death of WoW? Probably not, but i hope it puts up a gooooooood long and hard fight, it only serves to make WoW a BETTER, balanced and more complete game. "
    As for prot... haha losers he dmg needs a nerf with the intercept shield bash wtf silence crit a clothie like a mofo.
    Wow.