Deleted

Cheaper without much performance loss?

Hey guys, I'm in the process of getting a new system. So far I'm planning to have the follow

CPU: Phenom II X6
    GPU: XFX 6870
    RAM: G-Skill 4GB Ripjaws DDR3
    Motherboard: Gigabyte motherboard GA-890GPA-UD3H AMD AM3 DDR3 ATX
    HDD: Western Digital 1TB hard disk drive
    Heatsink: Corsair A50
    Powersupply: Corsair PSU 650W

Although its current coming to about £700, which is a bit over budget. Is there anything that would reduce the price but not significantly reduce the performance of the system?

Thanks.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zetki View Post
    Hey guys, I'm in the process of getting a new system. So far I'm planning to have the follow

CPU: Phenom II X6
    GPU: XFX 6870
    RAM: G-Skill 4GB Ripjaws DDR3
    Motherboard: Gigabyte motherboard GA-890GPA-UD3H AMD AM3 DDR3 ATX
    HDD: Western Digital 1TB hard disk drive
    Heatsink: Corsair A50
    Powersupply: Corsair PSU 650W

Although its current coming to about £700, which is a bit over budget. Is there anything that would reduce the price but not significantly reduce the performance of the system?

Thanks.
    You really need 1TB of space? Maybe go for 300-400GB and get a cheaper external harddrive at a later date or something. That should drastically reduce the price.

For gaming you dont need a X6, you should probably get a Phenom II x4 955 (3.2ghz 4core) the 1090t also run at 3.2ghz but has 6 core, But you totally dont need 6 core , unless you do alot of video encoding and or video editing , theres no need to buy an X6. So you can save some $$ right there, in my country (Canada) the X4 cost like 90$ less than a 1090t.

Its a good AMD built, thought i really hate AMD for gaming =P but i still understand that it cost alot less than a Core i5 2xxx built atm.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerzeja View Post
    You really need 1TB of space? Maybe go for 300-400GB and get a cheaper external harddrive at a later date or something. That should drastically reduce the price.
    Well nowaday its hard to find a bran new HDD with less than 650gb, and the 650gb usually just cost 10$ less than the 1TB
    Last edited by DarkBlade6; 2011-01-23 at 05:10 PM.

Hey,
    What website are you using to find these parts? Try Newegg.com
    And Why are you buying a heatsink? Most CPUs come with one.
    Other than that, look for a tower that already has a PSU that works for your GPU, they're sometimes hard to find, but they're out there.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannabliss View Post
    Try Newegg.com
    The OP listed his price in pounds - that generally means ruling out Newegg.

I would recommend going with an Intel build instead because the price should be somewhat similar, you might have to spend an extra few pounds, but it will be worth the performance difference. Intel i5 2500k all the way! Also, unless you plan on overclocking, there is no reason to get an aftermarket HSF unless the CPU you are buying is OEM in which case it does not come with the stock HSF.
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

Deleted

Thanks

Thanks for the advice.

I've changed the CPU and a few things so now its £600 which will be alright.

CPU: AMD CPU AM3 Phenom II X4 970 3.5GHz 8MB Cache - microdirect.co.uk/Home/Product/49871/AMD-CPU-AM3-Phenom-II-X4-970-3-5GHz-8MB-Cache
    GPU: Sapphire Radeon AMD HD 6870 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E 2.1 (x16) - microdirect.co.uk/Home/Product/49936/Sapphire-Radeon-AMD-HD-6870-1GB-GDDR5-PCI-E-2-1
    RAM: G-Skill 4GB Ripjaws DDR3 - microdirect.co.uk/Home/Product/42596/G-Skill-4GB-Ripjaws-DDR3-PC12800-1600Mhz-Cas7-Kit
    Motherboard: Gigabyte motherboard GA-890GPA-UD3H AMD AM3 DDR3 ATX - microdirect.co.uk/Home/Product/46796
    HDD: Western Digital 1TB hard disk drive - microdirect.co.uk/Home/Product/50021/Western-Digital-1TB-Hard-Disk-Drive-Caviar-Blue
    Heatsink: Corsair A50 - [microdirect.co.uk/Home/Product/48350/Corsair-Cooling-Air-Series-A50-Performance-CPU
    Powersupply: Corsair PSU 650W - microdirect.co.uk/Home/Product/31042

Is there any problems?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nwo View Post
    Also, unless you plan on overclocking, there is no reason to get an aftermarket HSF unless the CPU you are buying is OEM in which case it does not come with the stock HSF.
    There is a reason, the stock cooler for the 1090t makes the same amount of sound as an airplane.

OT: the fan that comes with the X4 970 is almost the same, allthough abit less noisy, so the heatsink is a good purchase.

Deleted
    Like someone mentioned before you could get the new Intel CPUs for around that budget. Out of interest are you including a case and an operating system in that budget?

Deleted
    Nope, I've already got a decent case so I'm gonna stick with that. I thought Intel's were a lot more expensive than AMD?

Nope, I've already got a decent case so I'm gonna stick with that. I thought Intel's were a lot more expensive than AMD?
    The new ''Sandy Bridge'' intel CPU's (socket;LGA1155) are extremely fast, you can't just go for the processor with the highest GHz, because that is to some degree missleading. The i5 2500k is a very, very good processor with brilliant overclocking possibilities (though OC'ing isn't really needed for WoW play). And even the i5 2300 (2,8GHz) is around 15-20% faster than the old socket 1156 Core i5 760 and is a more than strong enough CPU for any gamer today.

edit: If you go solely for GHz, then yes the intel seems alot more expensive than the AMD CPU's but in performance they are not.

Deleted
    Not that much more expensive. It depends who you buy from. Have you considered Ebuyer, Overclockers and Aria PC? All are very competitive on price. Ebuyer offer free delivery within 5 days, which is always something good to consider but their availability on Intel's K CPU series are poor. I'm also assuming you're salvaging your DVD drive from the your old build? If this is the case then none of the budget P67 boards from any manufacturer support IDE DVD drives.

Anyway using Ebuyer as a reference, as long as you do not need

- A SATA-DVD drive
    - Case
    - Operating system

The components you've listed + Intel i5-2500K and MSI GD65 Mobo will cost you less £660.

If you want to make even more savings, going for the ASRock P67 Pro3 Mobo will save over £55, this is huge considering its features and price.

Well I don't know about the UK, but here in the states the i5 2500k is around the same price as the AMD hexa core you were initially looking to get. And as far as performance goes, Intel is ahead by far in every single aspect. So even if Intel was more expensive, it is worth it unless you are on a strict budget.
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely