Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Scientific approach to WOW

Hello fellow wow-players.

I sat in class today and thought about something. Basically I want to throw some real life science in the world of warcraft, by simply trying to explain them with our world's laws, phenomenons, whatever. Maybe some of you have similar ideas, which you can "prove" in a way, by setting analogies to our science or by inventing mecanisms that seem VIABLE. I don't want to read some things which have no sense and/or are just plain stupid. (I only hope that there are some other crazy people out there, like me, who have similar thoughts^^)

There sure are many things in WOW that, if interpreted in the right way, would be reasonable in our world.
    Also, any paradoxes would be welcome IF ARGUMENTED in a reasonable way. (so pls no: lolz no fireball because you can't magic)

As a biology student, I have a slight eye for physiology (sometimes involuntary...) and thought a little about the creatures living in Azeroth.

Well it all started with Harpyes. I tried to explain a little and had the conclusion that by evolutionary means they can't have nipples (dunno if I should put ** to censor that...after all this should sound like a biological deduction^^) .
    Why?
    Well let's see: They are ovipar (laying eggs) humanoids (prove for that: steal their eggs), with apparently breasts. As an ovipar being, there exist (in our world) very few species that lay eggs and nutrition their offspring with mammal milk. (eg: Ornithorhynchus)
    Another prove is that they're flying creatures (obviously) so they need to have larger pectoral muscles to maintain their flying (which take years when not killed since they're never landing until dead) .
    So after all what they're hiding should be massive muscle flesh, like the one you eat when eating turkeys for example.
    [nb: it is really hard to put that without soundng like a perv...^^]

Update 1:
    Prove that WoW's large spiders and insectlike beings are NOT all derived by Arthropodes (Group of insects and spiders^^)
    On Earth, creatures with an exoskeleton are limited by gravity, because at a certain thickness, their chitine armor gets to heavy to carry it, or in another way, if their chitine pieces are thin enough that they could move freely, it would just rip bcause of the weight of their meat parts.

(those in water can be bigger, because of Archimedes' force, under water weight is only about 10 percent of real weight.
    [The Japanese spider crab, Macrocheira kaempfer, is the largest animal with anexoskeleton living on earth])

So the major indice here is their height and so their weight, although gravity on Azeroth should be smaller since the world itself isn't as big as Earth.

By this we can split concerned creatures in two. The classic spider and beetle creatures and the nerubian/silithid group.
    The first group is generally represented by animals who have theheight of a medium dog (ina way) with a very few exceptions. Therefore, because of the lower gravity, it is physically possible that spider etc are bigger than in our world.

On the other side, nerubians and silithids are generally bigger, heavier creatures and therefore impossible...UNLESS: theyare originally beings with an intern skeleton, like us for example, but in course of evolution, their skinsbegan to create chitin-like pieces which armor those type of beings.
    With an intern skeleton of a certain thickness, it should be possible that they cancarry this whole weight in a free way and may hereby live.

(I will update this )
    Last edited by mmocd8412e9215; 2011-01-27 at 05:41 PM.

Ice Armor: condensing water around the body to form a film and then freezing it with low temperatures (refridgerator, compressed gas, ETC.)

10+ Year Old Account
    explain to me how a murloc can drop "ice cold milk" in a glass under the water and how people mail dragons and bears through a mail box.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    explain to me how a murloc can drop "ice cold milk" in a glass under the water and how people mail dragons and bears through a mail box.
    Attempt to derail a topic with game mechanics..not "logical ways" of looking at WoW creatures....failed =o

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    Takea glass of milk, put something on it that the glass is closed. Now put it under water and open it.
    You will see that de milk is not instantly dissapearing or so, but thewater andthemilk slowly mix.

Imagine that murlocs, who have brains too, have glasses with something on to close it, but after you kill them it opens (because they haven't invented bottles yet^^).
    Therefore I can assume this: You are a greedy player who always loots his murlocs after the kill. So you "save" the glass of milk from the water. But have you ever tried waiting for a few minutes? When the glass of milk isn't in the loottable then my theory is proven ;D

Well for that dragon in the mail thing I haven't got any answer...until now^^

Deleted
    People can mail Dragons and Bears because it's a bit like Pokémon. You actually send the tiny Pokéball across the mail, which you then insert to any body cavity (that's why it doesn't take bag space) for future use. Ever wondered why WoW players never sneeze or go to the toilet? It's because they have tiny Pokéballs blocking the way. This also explains the guard in the Honour Hold toilet in Hellfire Peninsula; he felt like he needed to 'go' so he rushed to the toilet as quick as possible. Unfortunately, what happened was his Netherdrake slowly expanding inside him... a grim way to die indeed...

Deleted
    Dont think the scientifit approach works very well with wow.

For example DK's Ice bound fortitude - freeze your blood to take less damage

so to survive you freeze your blood didnt think this through to well.

How do dragons breath out fire, exactly?

They must have a butane-producing gland near their lungs, which releases the gas through the trachea. Alternatively, the gas could actually be methane, produced in the dragon's stomach by the food digestion process. The gas would then be pumped out through the esophagus.

In any case, there needs to be a further mechanism to actually ignite the gas. Maybe the dragon rubs its teeth quickly to produce a spark in the mouth cavity, which ignites the outcoming gas. Not entirely convinced by the teeth-rubbing theory, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Damson View Post

That's actually how the dead survive for long periods of time

Death Knight...get it...yea I'm not funny
    Quote Originally Posted by kasath
    is anyone in this group under 18? my parole officer says I'm not allowed to play wow with anyone under 18

Making yourself rigid is surely a no no for survivability. Flexability = survivability.

-----

There's a large amount of conservation of momentum and energy missing from WoW. I don't think that much energy from a giant axe is going to dissapate on my armour without sending me clear across the room.

If you come from a biology point of view then the predator population vastly out numbers that of their prey, that's not going to work.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xebu View Post
    How do dragons breath out fire, exactly?

They must have a butane-producing gland near their lungs, which releases the gas through the trachea. Alternatively, the gas could actually be methane, produced in the dragon's stomach by the food digestion process. The gas would then be pumped out through the esophagus.

In any case, there needs to be a further mechanism to actually ignite the gas. Maybe the dragon rubs its teeth quickly to produce a spark in the mouth cavity, which ignites the outcoming gas. Not entirely convinced by the teeth-rubbing theory, though.
    I once saw a "documentation" which said this in a way. They said something that dragons have a liquid generating gland which is "puked" out and then ignited by the contact with their teeth.
    (This was a documentation of dragons, how they would be if they were real...^^)

Deleted
    Casting fire under water.

Deleted
    eatting and drinking at the same time.

Just messy IRL

10+ Year Old Account
    Water Elemental

A large mass of condensed water droplets manipulated by an active subconcius (sp?).
    "I see nothing. I hear nothing. I taste victory."

"Trolling (verb): speaking your honest opinion." - you know who

This thread is relevant to my intrests, will be reading this with great intrest :>

"cough" roleplaying servers suck "cough"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Graki View Post
    Ice Armor: condensing water around the body to form a film and then freezing it with low temperatures (refridgerator, compressed gas, ETC.)
    They made an Ice air craft carrier in world war 2 Habakkuk
    Wiki link below very interesting.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Habakkuk

---------- Post added 2011-01-27 at 02:47 PM ----------

They don't have nipples in the game but if they were to care for the young afterwords being humanoids they could perhaps have them to feed the young.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kouki View Post

[/COLOR]They don't have nipples in the game but if they were to care for the young afterwords being humanoids they could perhaps have them to feed the young.
    No, because they're humanized birds (what I assume)
    And like birds, I think they catch a prey, chew it and feed it then to their young. So there is no needfor nipples and thereby no reason for natural selection in evolution.

Deleted

Just messy IRL
    I don't believe for a second that you've never had cereal with milk in it...

---------- Post added 2011-01-27 at 09:17 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by god of lock and pala View Post
    "cough" roleplaying servers suck "cough"
    lolwat?

Just messy IRL
    You always finish of your ENTIRE sandwich before taking a sip of milk? I personally tend to take a bite of sandwich, then a sip of milk, then another bite, and then a sip of milk you know. Eating and drinking ... yeah... pretty much at the same time. Works fine. You should be chewing with yer mouth closed anyway!