Question Spriest - how to survive melee closers?

Hi guys,

Need some help with shadow pvp. How u guys survive mostly warriors and their numerous closers. Yes i know they getting mobility nerf come patch, but still they can still intercept every 14 secs and throwdown, bladestorm etc. They can wreck frost mages unless they know what they doing, and mages have crapload more escapes than us.

Now come patch, our horror is getting nerfed to 1.5 min cd glyphed (thanks Blizz). We got PS every 30 sec, but with doted target doesnt last long. And we got Dispersion but warrior can happily just run behind that and continue to pwn when we come out of it.

So how the hell u survive when u gota chew through 130k of melee health??

Quote Originally Posted by Seiryoku View Post
    Hi guys,

Need some help with shadow pvp. How u guys survive mostly warriors and their numerous closers. Yes i know they getting mobility nerf come patch, but still they can still intercept every 14 secs and throwdown, bladestorm etc. They can wreck even frost mages unless mage knows what he's doing, and mages have crapload more escapes than us.

Now come patch, our horror is getting nerfed to 1.5 min cd glyphed (thanks Blizz). We got PS every 30 sec, but with doted target doesnt last long. And we got Dispersion but warrior can happily just run behind that and continue to pwn when we come out of it.

This melee health u speak of, is it better then ranged health?

Quote Originally Posted by Ripoff View Post
    This melee health u speak of, is it better then ranged health?
    Wut, don't understand. Im refering to melee, for most part warriors. Range classes are another ball game.

Im also talking about lvl 85, against melee with resil. At lower levels im ok, spriests have the edge due better scaling of our dots and lower target health pools => shorter fights so we have a chance.
    Last edited by Seiryoku; 2011-01-28 at 07:46 AM.

Wut, don't understand. Im refering to melee, for most part warriors. Range classes are another ball game.

Im also talking about lvl 85, against melee with resil. At lower levels im ok, spriests have the edge due better scaling of our dots and lower target health pools => shorter fights so we have a chance.
    Fully aware of what u meant, I just thought it was funny how u described it.. "130k of melee health, thats some heavy health man"

Deleted
    Don't let them get close

Meaning, it's sometimes better to move rather than finish that chain of spells you're going to cast in order to get them lower.

1v1, you can't. Your pvp partners are going to have to help alot with peels, and you're going to have to try to deadzone kite them with fade to break spamstring / piercing howl

Deleted
    hmm... and I thought you spriests were annoying..

Yeah, you need help with peels. And intercept is on a 25 second cooldown (with 4 piece pvp). Charge is on a 20 (15 in 4.0.6) second CD.

wow isn't a 1v1 game. as a Spriest you are squishy and ranged, thus being away from melee is your biggest survival worry.

This is what im figuring, we just can't do it. Need peels and in BGs our role has to be just dots, stay behind the lines, harrass healers, dispel etc.

Sigh, times have changed since the glory days of sprists pwning duels.

See this what shits me, mages dont need peels, why the fck do we. Ghostcrawler care to explain?
    Last edited by Seiryoku; 2011-01-28 at 08:33 AM.

15+ Year Old Account

So your question is actually "what do i do when i don't have the advantage?"
    Two way answer:
    a) You adapt
    b) You bring more friends

More on this after the next quote.

Hi guys,

Need some help with shadow pvp. How u guys survive mostly warriors and their numerous closers. Yes i know they getting mobility nerf come patch, but still they can still intercept every 14 secs and throwdown, bladestorm etc. They can wreck frost mages unless they know what they doing, and mages have crapload more escapes than us.

While i belive myself that shadowpriests are not in a good place, i do not play one so i can't know the real chances a SP has vs a warrior. But i will say this:

1) In TBC and WotLK SPs could actually tank melee save for rogues and their clos and stuns.
    2) During vanilla, SPs were more or less godmode.
    3) In Cataclysm, PvP has gone from 'one man army' to 'group pvp'.

What do the recent nerfs to ferals, mages, warriors, warlocks, shaman, paladins tell you? Each class depends more on their team mates than before for dispells and support. IE scenarios such as 'solo guy walks in and kills 3 then gets out' are a thing of the past. That's going to cut a few ego trips here and there but it's for the best of the rated BGs.
    4) You answered your question yourself in the earlier quote. You can only peel that warrior off you with your horror effect every 1.50 mins, but your frostmage buddy can do that every 5 secs, literally.

This is what im figuring, we just can't do it. Need peels and in BGs our role has to be just dots, stay behind the lines, harrass healers, dispel etc.

Sigh, times have changed since the glory days of sprists pwning duels.

See this what shits me, mages dont need peels, why the fck do we. Ghostcrawler care to explain?
    You belive that frostmages can just peel forever? Throw in a silence when he has to blink or dispell his barrier when a melee is training him. Nobody has dispell rezist anymore. What happens next? Iceblock can be dispelled but dispersion can't. Using ice armor in PvP, is suicide more or less, and that's a fact. Mage armor just got nerfed down to 35%.

TLDR: You need to wait for more resi gear to come into play to improve your surviability. Rambo-style pvp and
    the glory days
    are gone, forever. They want to make RBGs work so we might see the return of rock paper scrissors.
    "The best argument against democracy is a five minute scroll through twitter." - Winston Churchill