Thread: Thievery!

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Thievery!

There's this free-to-play MMO that's not as good as WoW called Perfect World. Right outside the Tideborn capital, there are these mobs called Nightspike Occultists WHO USE THE SAME SOUNDS THE WARLOCK SUCCUBUS MAKES IN WOW!

I have a warlock, and having heard the succy sounds many times, there is no doubt that the sound files these mobs use are exactly the same.

Intellectual property theft FTL!
    If you love someone, you will focus your life on their happiness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by commanderbeatdown View Post
    There's this free-to-play MMO that's not as good as WoW called Perfect World. Right outside the Tideborn capital, there are these mobs called Nightspike Occultists WHO USE THE SAME SOUNDS THE WARLOCK SUCCUBUS MAKES IN WOW!

I have a warlock, and having heard the succy sounds many times, there is no doubt that the sound files these mobs use are exactly the same.

it could have been a free to use sound file?

Doesn't WoW use its own voice actors, or at least hire them from an agency?

Possibly. Or quite possibly the sound is actually open license. Web designers and advertisers subscribe to databases of pictures they are allowed to use, and likewise there are databases for additional sound effects and such for games and movies. Think of it as the video game equivalent of "stock footage."

---------- Post added 2011-01-28 at 05:11 PM ----------

Doesn't WoW use its own voice actors, or at least hire them from an agency?
    A lot of stuff yes, but keep in mind WoW is 6 years old plus beta and has been through a lot of changes since its inception. Also keep in mind that while it makes perfect sense to voice act all the dialogue, it doesn't necessarily make sense to manually produce every little sound effect and snippet.

I'm sure stock files exist. Still, the succubus sounds are distinctly from (correct me if I'm wrong) the same voice actress that Kerrigan from SC and all the human females in WoW use. Blizzard typically hires its own talent, and likes to reuse them for many roles (Metzen, anyone?)

I can't help but suspect foul play from the Chinese company that create Perfect World.

Edit: I suppose what this boils down to is whether or not the sounds used by the succubus are owned by Blizzard (I can't see them allowing their property to be used by their competitors, no matter how small), or if they files are indeed, stock files.
    Last edited by commanderbeatdown; 2011-01-28 at 05:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfador View Post
    has been through a lot of changes since its inception. .
    Alf is right, we need to go deeper.
    Quote Originally Posted by Negridoom
    No. After the Cataclysm there will be an expansion for the zerg, and then an expansion for the protoss.

Quote Originally Posted by Gungtah View Post
    Alf is right, we need to go deeper.
    Where's my top? WHARE IS MY TOP?!?!1

/panic

It's like that police sound from the police stations in simcity, I hear it everywhere, other games, TV, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by barker View Post
    It's like that police sound from the police stations in simcity, I hear it everywhere, other games, TV, etc...
    That's not the same and you know it. Police sirens are pretty much standard across regions. The sound the WoW succubus makes however, is distinctive.

That's not the same and you know it. Police sirens are pretty much standard across regions. The sound the WoW succubus makes however, is distinctive.
    ?? I take it you aren't familiar with the sound I'm referring too.

While I'm not sure about the issue of copyright infringement of a voice actor making the sounds for the game, I know stock sounds are used a lot in games and TV.

There was a website that showed all the places the SimCity sound was used. I'll try to find it. It is EXACTLY the same sound bit (and it is labeled as a "STOCK" sound).

Here is a youtube video of the sound clip, and a list of know places it comes up. I can't find the site I've seen in the past:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dklA4-ACN4k

List of appearances (partial):

TV:
    Boston Legal 1x08, approx 38 min 30 sec in
    Castle 1x10, approx 12 min 35 sec in
    The Closer 1x05, approx 18 min 27 sec in
    CSI NY 4x01, approx 8 min 28 sec in
    CSI NY 5x14, approx 23 min 58 sec in
    CSI NY 7x05, approx 02 min 51 sec in
    King of Queens 8x23, approx 3 min 26 sec in
    Life on Mars (US) 1x06, approx 13 min 22 sec in
    Little Britain USA 1x05, approx 36 sec in
    Nip/Tuck 3x12, approx 27 min 07 sec in
    Ocean Girl 1x12, approx 15 min 50 sec in
    Two and a Half Men 6x10, approx 18 min 00 sec in

The X-Files requires its own subsection:
    1x11, approx 26 min 43 sec AND 33 min 32 sec in
    2x04, approx 39 min 56 sec in
    Many other appearances (keep 'em coming!)

Film:
    12 Monkeys, approx 1 hr 37 min 01 sec in
    Beyond a Reasonable Doubt (2009), approx 1 hr 39 min 33 sec in
    The Day the Earth Stood Still (2008), approx 9 min 12 sec in
    Donnie Darko, approx 13 min 49 sec in
    A Film With Me In It, approx 49 min 11 sec in
    I Love You Phillip Morris, approx 10 min 53 sec in
    The Minus Man, approx 1 hr 42 min 42 sec in
    Next Friday, approx 1 hr 23 min 27 sec in
    The Taking of Pelham 123 (2009), approx 1 hr 37 min 34 sec in
    Terror Trap, approx 28 min 19 sec in
    X2, approx 1 hr 00 min 14 sec in

Music:
    Gang Starr vs. Mobb Deep - Just To Get A Rep vs. Shook Ones Part II
    Last edited by barker; 2011-01-28 at 06:08 PM.

There is this cool bloody scream the guys in the original Command and Conquer would make sometimes if they died in certain ways. I've heard that used, exactly, to a t, in dozens of other movies and video games, and it's win every time.

I do know what you mean. I've played the game. What I'm saying, is that there is a difference between stock sounds labeled as such, and distinctive sound files voiced by Blizz-hired voice talent that could really go either way as far as intellectual property concerns are well... concerned.

I guess my point is, just because stock sounds exist in other games, does not necessarily mean that all sounds are stock sounds and legally available for use by other companies. Citing additional examples of obvious stock sounds in other games does nothing to address my concern.

Edit: I do appreciate the input, and I'm not trying to be argumentative.
    Last edited by commanderbeatdown; 2011-01-28 at 06:17 PM.

Citing additional examples of obvious stock sounds in other games does nothing to address my concern.
    Oh, I got confused by the whole
    or if they files are indeed, stock files.
    Forgive me ;-)

I'm just pointing out that it is common for you to hear sounds in multiple games, and the sounds had to originate somewhere. Maybe WoW sold the rights to this particular sound, or as mentioned above it is open license.
    Last edited by barker; 2011-01-28 at 06:20 PM.

Yeah, sorry if I seem like a jerk here. You are absolutely right about the existence of widely-used stock media, and I find the example you posted as really funny, actually.

Yeah, sorry if I seem like a jerk here. You are absolutely right about the existence of widely-used stock media, and I find the example you posted as really funny, actually.
    Post it on the WoW forums, maybe a blue will look into it, tell them you want a finders fee ;-)

I do know what you mean. I've played the game. What I'm saying, is that there is a difference between stock sounds labeled as such, and distinctive sound files voiced by Blizz-hired voice talent that could really go either way as far as intellectual property concerns are well... concerned.

I guess my point is, just because stock sounds exist in other games, does not necessarily mean that all sounds are stock sounds and legally available for use by other companies. Citing additional examples of obvious stock sounds in other games does nothing to address my concern.

Edit: I do appreciate the input, and I'm not trying to be argumentative.
    For the record I'm not saying that it is the case. I am stating that it is a definite possibility. Just because it is the first time you heard a sound, doesn't necessarily mean it wasn't up there. Someone had to use it first. Even if it was ripped off, I think it would be unwise for blizzard to persue such a small matter. With sound files it's hard to prove, unless they want to spend a lot of money hiring experts to compare and litigate.

There is this cool bloody scream the guys in the original Command and Conquer would make sometimes if they died in certain ways. I've heard that used, exactly, to a t, in dozens of other movies and video games, and it's win every time.
    I know that scream, I'm always getting fond memories when I hear it <3

---------- Post added 2011-01-29 at 12:49 AM ----------

The zealots (I think it was) in Starcraft 1 had a sound which is heard many other places, so using stock sounds is nothing new for Blizzard. They do use their own vocalists for bosses, named npc's of importance and the general acknowledgement sounds of the races, but being convinced of them making their own sounds to pets etc, I'm far from it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdbYsoEasio.

Also, in bad company 1, there is a sound that sounds excactly like the orc grunt death sound from wc3.
    "Death is the solution to all problems" - Joseph Stalin

10+ Year Old Account
    i didnt play command and conquer but if anyone remembers the scream from the opening theme to ahhh real monsters i hear that same scream evvverywhere. I am willing to bet its the same one you speak of. I doubt it started in real monsters but thats the one specific one i can think of off the top of my head

The riptide is free..but the GWH? Thats gonna cost you..

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's most likely not stolen.

I work for a post production sound studio and I can tell you there are thousands of sound-fx libraries that every gaming/television/movie company will buy (Sound dogs, something brothers.. cant recall all the names of the companies that produce these sound effects.) Regardless, I've heard multiple wow sounds and other game sounds in these libraries. We do make our own stock from time to time as well, so does Blizzard or any large company. However If you're a sound editor it's impossible to have the time to make all of these sounds yourself for every project deadline. (especially when dealing with TV episodes...) Hence common libraries.