Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Cyclone Yasi - Goodluck Australia.

A large area of northern Australia is preparing for what could be one the of the biggest cyclones ever to hit the country. Skip related content
    Related photos / videos

'Monster' Storm Bears Down On Australia Enlarge photo

Related content

* Australia coal mines, ports shut ahead of cyclone
    * Large cyclone to hit Queensland
    * Australia coal mines, ports shut ahead of cyclone
    * Related Hot Topic: Australia and New Zealand

Have your say: Australia and New Zealand

Cyclone Yasi is 500km wide and bearing down on the state of Queensland, which has already suffered from devastating floods.
    The state premier, Anna Bligh, has described it as a "monster, killer storm" and she predicted deadly surges inland.
    It is likely to cross the coast sometime late on Wednesday local time - and could hit anywhere along a 400-mile stretch between Cairns and Bowen.
    It already is a Category 3 cyclone, and is likely to intensify to a Category 4, with gusts of wind expected to reach 160mph.
    Airlines are laying on extra flights to get people out of the area, especially tourists with nowhere else to go.
    But the storm is so wide that finding somewhere safe to move to will be difficult for tens of thousands of people.
    The holiday resort of Hamilton Island has already been evacuated, and coal terminals in Bowen and Mackay have closed down in another blow to the state's mining industry which has already been disrupted by flooding.
    Around 350,000 people live in the region, and they are being urged to make preparations on Tuesday because heavy rain and winds could begin to intensify while the eye of the storm is still a long way north.
    Ms Bligh said the threat to life and property was compounded by the possibility it could trigger a tsunami-like storm surge, especially if its landfall coincided with a high tide.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12322154

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news...#ixzz1Cj6wgVEY

As someone that believes the Mayans were some serious people, and have researched alot into 2012 theory, I believe the end is nigh people, the end is nigh.

15+ Year Old Account
    *Update*

The Cyclone is now a category 4 Cyclone. Evacuation procedures have begun!

---------- Post added 2011-02-01 at 07:09 PM ----------

Another update.

The latest modelling suggests Cyclone Yasi is on track to hit Cairns between 10pm tonight and 1am tomorrow morning with wind gusts above 260km/h.

Queensland Premier Anna Bligh said the situation and exact impact of the cyclone would become clearer this afternoon.

---------- Post added 2011-02-01 at 07:46 PM ----------

*MAJOR UPDATE*

The cyclone has reached the highest level of storm categorisation.

6.03am The Bureau of Meteorology has upgraded Yasi to a Category 5 cyclone. The highest level of storm categorisation, this will bring winds above 280km/h and certain destruction, particularly within the warning areas from Port Douglas to Townsville. The Bureau warns the impact of the storm is "likely to be more life threatening than any experienced during recent generations".

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news...#ixzz1CjpVKALj

Holy shi... This seems to be serious! Lucky for me, I live in the calm Sweden, nothing ever happens here
    "Death is the solution to all problems" - Joseph Stalin

15+ Year Old Account
    Recent Update.

Senior bureau forecaster Gordon Banks told the ABC Yasi could take at least 24 hours to weaken after it makes landfall.

"There's still potential for it to become stronger ... as a strong category five we could see wind gusts in excess of 320 kilometres an hour, which is just horrific," he said.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news...#ixzz1CkLpB3wq

Seems many residents are refusing to leave their homes, including one old lady who simply says " It's coming, no point panicking "

"It's coming,'' she shrugged. "And that's it.

"No point panicking."

[...]

None know better the terror and heartache than the hardy folk of Innisfail.

"Lots of people in town are freaking out, they feel like they are living a nightmare,'' the elderly widow said.

I do hope those that are active on MMO-Champion and are nearby are safe and aware of the dangers, this is going to be the most destructive storm to have ever hit Australia.

It seems some people didn't bother evacuating! A user called CaillinS13 is streaming it on Ustream... 11k views lol

15+ Year Old Account
    http://www.ustream.tv/channel/caillins13

Streaming the storm live! Seems to be serious sh!t now.....right now Townsville is like a ghost town apparently.

This isn't my stream, someone elses however.
    Last edited by Malefic; 2011-02-02 at 10:08 AM.

Deleted
    Good luck to the people living there

Deleted
    Ssssswwooooooooooooooooooooooooooooosh..........Swoooooosh......
    What a nice lovely coast you have there....

Quote Originally Posted by Knegoff View Post
    Holy shi... This seems to be serious! Lucky for me, I live in the calm Sweden, nothing ever happens here
    This.

It's nice to live in the most passive country ever. Both weather and war wise.
    I hope the Aussies can handle the storm and that they don't have too many casualties.
    If there is a god, may he have mercy on their poor souls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urti View Post
    Seriously this. I'm a high-speed, low-drag, supah-healah. Doling out the feel-goods LIKE A BAWS, keeping everyone shiny, happy and cool. Staying on top of my game, even in a combat situati....THERE'S THAT DAMN GROUNDHOG AGAIN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Malefic View Post
    As someone that believes the Mayans were some serious people, and have researched alot into 2012 theory, I believe the end is nigh people, the end is nigh.
    Ugh for the love of god let this be a joke
    Stulti se laudant.
    Minecraft Survival Server: 203.206.166.219:25565
    http://www.youtube.com/user/fpiceail

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonwing View Post
    Ugh for the love of god let this be a joke
    It's not a joke, regardless not going to turn this into a 2012 end of the world discussion.

Rumors are the storm is slowing down, which is bad ironically, it means the storm will build even more pressure then expected before hitting land. Supposed to be hitting Australia within the hour. Roof tops/trees etc have already started falling.

Ugh this is why they are nerfing druids...

OT: Big storms are hittting the midwest as well with terrible ice storms. Hope people over there are alright though

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hawtlol View Post
    Ugh this is why they are nerfing druids...

OT: Big storms are hittting the midwest as well with terrible ice storms. Hope people over there are alright though
    Good luck to everyone in Australia.

Snowpocalypse 2011 here is going good. Got about 2 feet on the front drive with more falling. Will be fun later to clear

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malefic View Post
    I really can't wait until 2013 so idiots like you, who buy in to the COMPLETELY MEDIA-FABRICATED IDEA of a 2012 apocalypse, will finally shut up.

On topic: All the Aussies I know up in that area have evacuated, and it's not hard to see why. Townsville winds are currently 112 kmph. Ingham winds are 166 kmph. And this is just the beginning >_<

I'm sure New Zealand will be doing what we can to help with the cleanup if it gets severe.
    Quote Originally Posted by BattlemasterSkarab View Post
    GOD's ARMAGEDDON and DOOM'S DAY!!!!!!.... Imagine that...
    4 apocalyptic horsemen
    Sky turned red
    Sun turned black
    All WoW servers down

Deleted
    Good luck guys, stay safe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good luck to everyone in Australia, let's hope that it calms down really soon.

At times like these, I feel like Ireland is a good place right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm View Post
    I really can't wait until 2013 so idiots like you, who buy in to the COMPLETELY MEDIA-FABRICATED IDEA of a 2012 apocalypse, will finally shut up.

On topic: All the Aussies I know up in that area have evacuated, and it's not hard to see why. Townsville winds are currently 112 kmph. Ingham winds are 166 kmph. And this is just the beginning >_<

I'm sure New Zealand will be doing what we can to help with the cleanup if it gets severe.
    Its not media fabricated, its believers and followers of Nostradamus' predictions

wow nature really seem to go rough on Australia lately anyhow best of luck to all the australian mmo-champ users and of course everyone else.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think nature is starting to attack the world. Flooding, snow storms, an uber-cyclone, earthquakes, etc.