System Build - Please Comment!

I'm building a new system, Here's what I've come up with so far. Please feel free to comment, make suggestions, etc. Generally if theres an upgrade I'm only looking to spend like 30~50 per piece, and it has to be worth it.

Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 -

PSU: Corsair 750TX -

Processor: i5-2500k (waiting obv) -

MOBO: Asus P8P67 Pro (waiting on this too, no link on newegg)

Memory: G.Skill 2x4GB 1600mhz -

HDD: Seagate 7200.12 1 TB -

SSD: Crucial c300 128GB -

Vid Card: XFX 6950 (Unlocking to 6970) -

If you're getting an intel MOBO then I suggest taking advantage of the fact that you'll have the future option of SLI (yes I know this board supports both) and springing for an Nvidia card over AMD (yes, they are now AMD instead of ATI which makes little since to me since most AMD boards don't support crossfire? only SLI). Anything GTX 460 or better will be more than enough for anything and the new 5xx ones are being released now.

The case is great. Cooler Master always does a great job. The only thing to look out for is being aware that they are REALLY HEAVY.
    G.Skill is great with ram. Just be careful of which one you buy. They have several sticks of their "ripjaw" line that are listed at 1600mhz but some have lower latency than others. Keep an eye on it.

And don't forget to always buy any extra fans that the case has a spot for.

Good choices for gear. For the above post the 6950 is a great deal if you bios flash it up to a 6970. It will run any game you want and the video quality of amd radeon gfx cards is quite better then nvidia which is quite nice for ppl who dont just play games on their computer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephasaurus View Post
    .. and the video quality of amd radeon gfx cards is quite better then nvidia which is quite nice for ppl who dont just play games on their computer.
    Please do elaborate.

I suggest not getting the 128gig SSD and instead getting 2x 64g drives. They are similiar in price, but I have 2 of the crucial c300 64g drives running in RAID 0 and I have over 600mb/sec read speeds and 150mb/sec write speeds. I.E. Double what the standalone drives perform at. Put your OS on it, along with any games/programs you use often, and you'll be saying "wtf are load screens?" those particular SSD have excellent support for RAID as well.

Also, while the 6970 is a great card, and is technically built as two cards that run in crossfire together but work as a single card, I suggest getting a GTX 580 or 570 instead. Many games say they support crossfire, but really they kinda dont in the sense that they offer no real increase in performance. The card has a slightly greater price range, but a higher bit card, and you said you were willing to go 30-50ish more per piece? well thats the only real thing I see that would possibly need an upgrade and it would be less than the combined total of the 30-50 per piece :P . And for some reason, Nvidia cards work better with intel processors.

and 4 gigs of ram is fine, but you'll probably want to up it to 8 eventually. WoW and alot of other games cant use more than 2, and your OS (which I assume will be Win7) will only use about 2 as well. But if you're ever wanting to run programs in the background and not slow down your beastly processor, I suggest 8. Also, its what tom's hardware recommends now :P and its a pretty trustworthy site.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Exp View Post
    Also, while the 6970 is a great card, and is technically built as two cards that run in crossfire together but work as a single card, I suggest getting a GTX 580 or 570 instead.
    On the first point, the 6970 is a single GPU card and has similar performance with the GTX570. Both are high end cards and both have excellent features and connectivity.

On the second point, yes I'd agree with you if he was purchasing the 6970, but he's purchasing the 6950 and flashing it to a 6970. A great performance bump for those who are willing to tweak their cards and offer better value than both the 570s and the 6970s because of this.

Don't think I can afford a 580 but possibly a 570. Any specific manufacture / Newegg linkage?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenpwnage View Post
    Don't think I can afford a 580 but possibly a 570. Any specific manufacture / Newegg linkage?
    Personally, for the price and your own personal hard labor, i'd stick with the build you've mentioned before.

Secondly, if you wish to purchase the 570, most manufacturer's follow Nvidia's reference design and all perform practically the same. Let price and warranty be the deciding factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenpwnage View Post
    Sapphire makes great cards, but since drudg says its a single gpu, it might not be a bad idea. It has alot of onboard memory, 2g is the best you can get without buying a graphics design/high end video editing card. Which are $3k+