Page 1 of 19
... LastLast

Rift vs. Wow and all haters

So lately I got into Rift beta, and of course everyone talks about WoW, and on this forum especially the "We're not in Azeroth anymore" thread, people seem to hate on Rift. Well i was wondering, what do all of you think Rift is like? Personally, i think it's a better, and similar version of WoW yet different in MANY areas, such as the souls and the immense Rift invasions where you have like 30 people in a particular raid group to kill some very tough bosses (health wise). Also for just a beta version, the number of glitches is incredibly low and smooth gameplay.

I feel it takes the problems of WoW, and improves them (such as numerous talent possibilities, i'm an altoholic in WoW and get tired of the same crap over and over, this is endless possibilities in Rift. Also, the graphics are much nicer (which is obvious, since WoW is 6 years old). Overall i just think it's a better game, without having any experience with end game so far so i can't give an opinion on that. So what do all of you think about both games, what do you hate about rift, or what do you hate about WoW?

I for one was in the Rift Beta for a week.. and I hated it. Sure at first, I thought it was kind of cool. But then I realised : Hey.. What did they bring to the table with this game? Heres what they added :

- Rifts
    - More Talent Trees and class possibilitys

I mean, Rift does not even have a specific lore.. Which sucks since I like story oriented games.

Now before you guys rage, I have not played WoW for 1 month.. So I am not a WoW Lover, im just pointing out my point of view.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    tbh i see more RIFT IS GONNA DESTROY WOW posts then hating on rift posts. I'm sick of Rift already and I haven't even played it. Just all the fans of it talking about how amazing it is has me sick to my stomach thinking about it.
    "Before them the earth shakes, the heavens tremble, the sun and the moon darkened, and the stars no longer shine."

Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Been in it for a while. The only really "cool" part about it, is the talents. The rest of the game is rather mediocre and I find it gets boring quite fast. The story is terrible and the game being built off of a constant world event seems silly. Meh, to each their own.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age"

10+ Year Old Account
    My location is irrelevant to your interests
    Quote Originally Posted by Il Impiccato View Post
    tbh i see more RIFT IS GONNA DESTROY WOW posts then hating on rift posts. I'm sick of Rift already and I haven't even played it. Just all the fans of it talking about how amazing it is has me sick to my stomach thinking about it.
    Why, exactly?
    (。◔‸◔。✿)

I so far cannot make it past level 6 in rift without becoming so bored I have to stop playing. Really don't see what all the fuss is about. If the game can't even be fun for the first six levels I refuse to believe it's a well designed game. "play it until max level then it gets good" is not a valid excuse either. An RPG is about the leveling process, THEN the end game. You can't have one or the other. You have to have both.

15+ Year Old Account
    I have not had the pleasure of trying the game, or playing wow for the last 8 months. I do have an opinion however on the graphics part of it. One of the main reasons wow has so many subscribers is because of it's graphics, not because they are amazing, not because they are what everyone wants to see, but because almost any cpu can run them. Simplicity in graphics means people don't have to break the bank to play, which leads to more people playing.

The only people even saying that are the WoW kiddies trying to stir up some trouble. If Rift sells 500,000 on release and progressively builds up a solid customer base over a few years, there's no reason why it can't fill a niche in the mmo market.

I think that is now the definition of a hater. Rift is a very solid game from what I've experienced. Warcraft didn't have 'specific lore' either. Everything has to start somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by kittycuddler View Post
    I so far cannot make it past level 6 in rift without becoming so bored I have to stop playing. Really don't see what all the fuss is about. If the game can't even be fun for the first six levels I refuse to believe it's a well designed game. "play it until max level then it gets good" is not a valid excuse either. An RPG is about the leveling process, THEN the end game. You can't have one or the other. You have to have both.
    The first levels aren't fun, 1-9 is just letting you know what to do basically in the starter zone, and you don't have much experience with the 3 separate soul trees and all the unique abilities in them

Havent played it, but as far as I know about it, graphics are like stronghold 2, smooth. That's something I like a lot more than wow graphics, but I dont know something more about it :/

Regardless of how you feel about Rift, it would probably be better for WoW players if ANY mmo was able to seriously compete with WoW. Because then Blizzard might actually have to try to keep everyones attention.

I've played it, and it's a pretty enjoyable game despite all of its similarities to WoW.

Rift needs to not target only WOW players to make its base subscriptions imho. Thats a real sketchy move in my book.

Why? because if your WHOLE marketing plan is to just create a ton of word of mouth via Anti WOW bullshit, your game must not be plotted past the first year of game play and suck monkey nuts.
    Last edited by Tastyfish; 2011-02-06 at 03:46 AM.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Ive been playing wow for about 6 years now, and i have to admit i enjoy rift. The way they do the talent trees is amazing, it gives you so many possibilities. Its looking like great game to compete with wow in my opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    My location is irrelevant to your interests
    Quote Originally Posted by voltisfy View Post
    Ive been playing wow for about 6 years now, and i have to admit i enjoy rift. The way they do the talent trees is amazing, it gives you so many possibilities. Its looking like great game to compete with wow in my opinion.
    I agree with you 100%. Oh and at people saying that the lore of Rift is bad, it really isn't. It's just more complex than many other MMOs. Not as linear.
    (。◔‸◔。✿)

Really? really? show me one post that says rift will destroy wow. I haven't seen one, only people assuming that because people think that rift may be good that they are saying it will destroy wow.
    If people criticized the Bible as much as they criticize WOW we'd all be atheists.

Quote Originally Posted by BigGann View Post
    I have not had the pleasure of trying the game, or playing wow for the last 8 months. I do have an opinion however on the graphics part of it. One of the main reasons wow has so many subscribers is because of it's graphics, not because they are amazing, not because they are what everyone wants to see, but because almost any cpu can run them. Simplicity in graphics means people don't have to break the bank to play, which leads to more people playing.
    yeah i tried rift beta and i run 60 fps on my computer for wow and i get like 10 on lowest graphics with low quality renderer for rift. >.< Also because of them trying to make their graphics more realistic, low quality is absolutely horrendous. im probably gonna go play xbox because wow just doesnt interest me anymore. T.T

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Minimegamax View Post
    Heres what they added :

- Rifts
    - More Talent Trees and class possibilitys

I mean, Rift does not even have a specific lore.. Which sucks since I like story oriented games.
    This. RIFT really isn't an original game at all... I've played it in beta and sure it feels nice and new for a while, but then you kind of start noticing how much they just blatantly ripped off WoW... Then again, RIFTS are just basically a revamped version of outdoor bosses, which leaves us with only the talent trees on the RIFTs side of the table.

In addition to that like the OP said, needing 30 people in your group to kill a boss which does nothing but auto attack and 1 aoe just because he has retardedly large health pool does not appeal to me.

Did you play WOW beta where most your leveling came from grinding out killing mobs, and that above level 50 there was only like 13 quests? ALl betas have their issues.
    If people criticized the Bible as much as they criticize WOW we'd all be atheists.

i giggled when i read this, did you not play wow before cataclysm?