Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kanzei View Post
    People who have never done anything in life want to say that the people that HAVE are just puppets and props and so on. It's so obvious.

Look, if you want to believe THAT guy wrote conference call speeches and scripted investor questions for Smedley at Sony, believe him. LOL.

If not, let me tell you, that a person does not rise to the level of CEO and 8-10 figure salary packages without knowing what he's doing. Period. They aren't all perfect, and they make mistakes, and the world changes on them, and competition is fierce, but believe me, they know their businesses before boards of directors entrust them with billions of dollars.
    Stop dodging. Where is the link to prove John Smedley knows what he's talking about like you said you would post?

You proposed this challenge. Why are you not following through?

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    No, I don't mean the vanity pets and pop culture references. Besides, it has vanity pets. I meant that the animations feel wooden and stiff, the world, while the textures are high quality, lacks a lot of details and feels more than a little bland at times, and most of the really awesome-to-look-at stuff, you can't actually walk on. The quests themselves are nothing new, nothing innovative, many of their concepts cut and dry from other MMOs with little added to the mix.

A game doesn't need to be silly to make you smile and get into it, but I'm finding myself really having to force myself to read the quests and care about what's actually going on, whereas with WoW, and especially the revamped questing in 1-60 in Cataclysm, I have no difficulty at all letting myself get really into the storytelling.

Again, don't say questing isn't a really big and important part 'oh the best part is the endgame,' because again, like Yahtzee, I don't consider 'it gets better 20 hours in' to be a selling point.

I'm not saying Rift is bad, far from it. The concept of souls is exactly the kind of innovative breath of fresh air the MMO industry needs, it's an amazing concept that allows for more customization of your character than I've ever seen in another MMO before. They did this beautifully. And to solve the balance issue by making separate trees between PvP and PvE? Again, exactly the sort of smart thinking the MMO industry needs. So why couldn't they apply that innovation to the rest of the game's aspects? It's disappointing. It's lost potential, to me. Like I said, I'll keep playing the beta just to keep trying it, but it feels like Rift missed out on an opportunity to really take this to a new level.
    Couldn't have said it better. It feels like they just dropped the ball on a truly unique concept that could have been genre breaking in order to try and play it safe and be competitive with WoW. If they had ignored WoW instead of purposely try to clone it to compete with it this game could have been simply amazing.

People who have never done anything in life want to say that the people that HAVE are just puppets and props and so on. It's so obvious.

Look, if you want to believe THAT guy wrote conference call speeches and scripted investor questions for Smedley at Sony, believe him. LOL.

If not, let me tell you, that a person does not rise to the level of CEO and 8-10 figure salary packages without knowing what he's doing. Period. They aren't all perfect, and they make mistakes, and the world changes on them, and competition is fierce, but believe me, they know their businesses before boards of directors entrust them with billions of dollars.
    Links or it didn't happen.

You're challenge, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
    Rift.. -.-''

Lets just wait for Guild Wars 2. Then we are talking about competition.
    GW2 looks great but it will live under the mighty shadow of SWTOR

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    Be sure to ask the mods that.
    he made a small mistake did you post to troll him about it?
    I Just Herped All Over My Derp !

Christ, people....Rift is still in Beta, you know.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your point of view thrills and exhalerates me!

Quote Originally Posted by Modibybob View Post
    i love rift :3

I need you to link 2 things:

A.) The burned of proof for Smedley is on your shoulders.
    B.) Link the post where she said she wrote for Smedley and not just a no name CEO. News flash: Every company has a CEO, not just fortune 500's.

15+ Year Old Account
    New games are good. Blizz might get more motivated to steal ideas for their game. Shortly after Warhammer launch they announced they would implement lower level reputation rewards etc, wasn't much but better than nothing. :P

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!

10+ Year Old Account
    Man if i would be a moderator and i would get paid for every rift thread that closes i would be a billionaire .....

*Picks up pokeball*

I summon You dalletha (Or what ever your name is)

USE CLOSE THREAD ATTACK!

Stolen ... from elyssia .... mad elyssia?

Quote Originally Posted by Crush View Post
    Man if i would be a moderator and i would get paid for every rift thread that closes i would be a billionaire .....

*Picks up pokeball*

I summon You dalletha (Or what ever your name is)

USE CLOSE THREAD ATTACK!
    Dost Thou Hate Rift?

It's on it's last beta event and will be released in two-three weeks...

10+ Year Old Account
    yeah and it's being released in 2 weeks. Not a lot of time to fix big issues.

That said, I'll probably play it.

Try to play the Beta with an unbiased opinion. Play the Rift beta and don't just look at things to be critical and try to prove to yourself or others that WoW is a better game. Each game has their strengths and weaknesses. Personally I love the questing, the animations (a lot of people say they're crude) I actually find to be quite good. I find WoW's character animations much less realistic. Also you actually cast with your weapon, rather than keeping it on your back, unused, all the time. The combat system is a little bit clunky - but bear in mind WoW has had years to polish it's stuff off and Rift is still in beta.

It's like every expansion during the closed betas - they think they have everything sorted and when it's released on live, they'll change a dozen more things. I'm not saying Rift'l be buggy at lauch - I am saying that there will be changes made to it that'll improve it, just as WoW has done.

The problem i see Rift having is it basically WOW with warhammer style PQ's

the rifts get boring on around your 3rd invasion , people get blinded by the 3 souls out of 8, oo look 3 talent trees but most of the builds dont work theres tons o duplication and redundancy and i doubt once the min maxers have gone through it you will see more than 2 or 3 builds per calling.

now if your main market is people that are bored of wow or people that somehow got butt hurt and wont play wow and your product is a clone of wow....well i cant be the only one seeing the obvious problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Velossa View Post
    Links or it didn't happen.

You're challenge, after all.
    You want to listen to Smedley, who is a great example of a CEO that has made mistakes and has been attacked from all sides, but the truth is that guy BUILT that division; he did SOMETHING right. He was one of the pioneers, ultimately.

But yeah, if you want to hear and read Smedley, here's some links. He's no fool.

You're going to tell me THIS guy doesn't know his business? Here he is in a 2008 interview.

"John Smedley: Really well! I can give you some numbers: our average customer spends $133 dollars. We have been able to successfully convert 40% of our customers into Legends of Norrath players. 25% of our customers are paying players. We're extremely pleased and pretty shocked at the level of money people are willing to spend in these things. The reason that's important to customers is that, long-term, we can use that same model to make it so that the people that want to pay can help pay for the people that don't. I think it's an ideal business model for this industry."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1dlTZWLlVo
    http://massively.joystiq.com/2008/01...-smedley-pt-1/

There are literally thousands of links to interviews and conference calls that this guy has given. He knows every detail of his business. ALL CEO's are like that. They KNOW their businesses, or they would never be in those positions with those incomes. Period.

Now if some kid on the internet wants to post anonymously on a forum that "he wrote scripted investor conference calls" and you want to believe him, go ahead. And while you're at it, go make $100 million dollars, because if CEO's are such idiots, it should be really easy for all the SMART people out there on this forum to just blow right past them.

lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ZombyChan View Post
    It's on it's last beta event and will be released in two-three weeks...
    Actually starts feb 24 if you have HeadStart i win. People need to speak Ye ol english sounds cooler

Quote Originally Posted by sicness View Post
    While I agree that they're a bit slow to fix some bugs at times, I really don't understand how you can think their customer service is so terrible. I've played quite a few MMO's and WoW's is definitely not even close to being the worst and possibly one of the best considering the shear number of people they deal with.
    I must agree. Every time I've needed help from customer service, they've been excellent in providing it! With other MMO's...not so much. I can't even figure out the system for Guild Wars' support system. x_x;;;

As for bugs, I think that people get an idea that fixing a bug is a simple task, involving the clickety-clack of a couple of buttons, and you're done. First, that's not the case; usually these things aren't -nearly- as easy to fix [or easy to predict in the first place] as people assume. Second, when several bugs happen at once [as they usually do, and unannounced to boot!], the support team probably has to prioritize which are more immediate problems.

For instance, severe class imbalances is above the worgen female laugh, but the worgen female laugh is above looking a little sunk-in-the-ground in some places in Stonetalon.

People need to learn to have patience. [Ironic that the very things that taught us to be so impatient are the very things we need patience with the most! lol ]
    There are no WoW killers, only WoW alternatives.

I am Hunter - Play Free Online Games

You want to listen to Smedley, who is a great example of a CEO that has made mistakes and has been attacked from all sides, but the truth is that guy BUILT that division; he did SOMETHING right. He was one of the pioneers, ultimately.

But yeah, if you want to hear and read Smedley, here's some links. He's no fool.

You're going to tell me THIS guy doesn't know his business? Here he is in a 2008 interview.

"John Smedley: Really well! I can give you some numbers: our average customer spends $133 dollars. We have been able to successfully convert 40% of our customers into Legends of Norrath players. 25% of our customers are paying players. We're extremely pleased and pretty shocked at the level of money people are willing to spend in these things. The reason that's important to customers is that, long-term, we can use that same model to make it so that the people that want to pay can help pay for the people that don't. I think it's an ideal business model for this industry."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1dlTZWLlVo
    http://massively.joystiq.com/2008/01...-smedley-pt-1/

There are literally thousands of links to interviews and conference calls that this guy has given. He knows every detail of his business. ALL CEO's are like that. They KNOW their businesses, or they would never be in those positions with those incomes. Period.

Now if some kid on the internet wants to post anonymously on a forum that "he wrote scripted investor conference calls" and you want to believe him, go ahead. And while you're at it, go make $100 million dollars, because if CEO's are such idiots, it should be really easy for all the SMART people out there on this forum to just blow right past them.

lol.
    Well written. Valid point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    I never said Ret was faceroll, I said your bitching is a mirror image to that entire community's attitude. You'd fit in well over there.
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodwine77 View Post
    I'd never send death threats, because it is just a game.

However, if I ever met the guy at Blizzard responsible for murlocs ... I think I'd slug him. Just one hard punch to the face ... while yelling WHARBLGARBLGARBLGARBLGARBL!!