How is Holy PW:S spam possible?

New to raiding as a Holy healer*

Hello, i'm not sure if I got the wrong idea or something but how is spamming PW:S possible? After i put up 10 bubbles, i am only left with around 60% of my mana. Won't I go oom in raids after refreshing shields all the time? ( i am specced same as Tiduz )

If i'm doing it wrong, can someone tell me when it is right to be using shields?

you get mana back after the shield has been used up. so only creating 10 shields wont do your mana any good if they dont get used up... at least thats what i guess

heres the quote from the hotfix-notes:

# Rapture now returns 2/5/7% of maximum mana when Power Word: Shield is consumed, up from 2/4/6%.

so you get alot of mana when your shield has been consumed, it doesnt count when it just expires due to time run out.
    Last edited by Ghul; 2011-02-19 at 03:29 PM.

since TIduz have the gear u dont. seriously 1 person who can do it dosnt mean U can do it different gear means different styles have to be used . use ur brain

Quote Originally Posted by Theadred View Post
    since TIduz have the gear u dont. seriously 1 person who can do it dosnt mean U can do it different gear means different styles have to be used . use ur brain
    ...come again?

speaking of using your brain, seems like you can't read what people posts.

clearly said im new and seeking help. come again

Deleted
    Holy bubble spam was possible because you could spec a little in holy for better, spammable shields, while body & soul reduced the mana cost to like 3-4k per shield, each absorbing about 20k, now, I guess what you're doing wrong is just mindlessly spamming shields like you were disc on LK25HC. you only spam shields on burst heavy ae dmg etc.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Because the cost to cast PWS for Holy and Shadow is now around 35% higher than it was since Cata was released. It was made more costly to use for 3 player specs because 1 player spec was getting too much efficiency/HPS out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghul View Post
    you get mana back after the shield has been used up. so only creating 10 shields wont do your mana any good if they dont get used up... at least thats what i guess

heres the quote from the hotfix-notes:

# Rapture now returns 2/5/7% of maximum mana when Power Word: Shield is consumed, up from 2/4/6%.

so you get alot of mana when your shield has been consumed, it doesnt count when it just expires due to time run out.
    You are so wrong in so many ways. He said Holy so you explain how Disc's Rapture worked ages ago. The point of holy spamming shields was because Bliz was thinking of letting holy's spec allow for cheaper shields than Disc (ironic isn't it) but they then changed their mind. You can forget about Holy shield spamming now, it isn't as efficient as Disc.

15+ Year Old Account
    http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-3q...m/healingDone/

Note that I also had to go Holy for Chimaeron. But it's very, very possible. Probably around the time you're nearly in full normal epics. And also, it works a LOT better in 25 man than 10 man (IF it works on 10 man at all). I recieved, like, 2-3 innervates in every fight.

Make sure that:
    1) SmiteX5 at start, pop shadowfiend + Hymn of Hope, let it tick once, spam shields around your raid, when the smite buff is about to run out, hit Archaengel. That should give you nearly a full raid with shields, and you with full mana.
    2) Pop shadowfiend when it's ready (Should be usable 2-3 times, depending on the fight, rarely 3, but yeah).
    3) Have a shammy for mana totem.
    4) Have a druid for innervates.

EDIT: Scratch what I said. Holy shield spam is not possible and not efficient enough to be worth it.
    Last edited by Vordie; 2011-02-19 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Retard.

If I read the notes correctly, Blizzard made a lot of changes to holy shields because they were being spammed and as a result, holy priests were almost never going oom or didn't have to worry about throwing out more than a HoT because the shield took care of it all. Then it was discovered that allowing the shield to be spammed allowed priests to basically ignore other spells that would otherwise be useful for holy. To fix this, they drastically increased the mana cost of the shield in order to prevent holy priests from spamming, and to pretty much encourage the use of other healing spells in the set. Shield is much better used for disc priests now.

I could be wrong but I'm almost positive this was in some of the more recent patch updates. When healing properly as a holy priest, use all of your spells, not just the shield, or you will very quickly run yourself oom. There's a huge difference between spamming the shield on the tank and trying to spam it on every member of your party or raid, and with the changes made, even spamming on the tank will cause mana problems. It's for use in case of emergency.

It is not possible. Thanks to shield abuse by a few now holy priests have nothing but a more expensive shield (they eliminated the cost reduction from body and soul). I just love how the entire class gets punished because a few think the way to play "optimally" means spamming shields.

alright thanks guys, i guess i have to respec back to my old holy spec now

Quote Originally Posted by Aliahna View Post
    It is not possible. Thanks to shield abuse by a few now holy priests have nothing but a more expensive shield (they eliminated the cost reduction from body and soul). I just love how the entire class gets punished because a few think the way to play "optimally" means spamming shields.
    Simply because it was playing optimally, as it was yielding the highest throughput. That is the definition of optimal play, isn't it? Optimal and intended are two different realms. You can't expect people to play in sub par ways because playing a better (but still possible) way will get the class nerfed.

When Blood [DPS] DKs figured out they could achieve higher numbers without using diseases, they did so. This also got fixed, because the play style was not intended.

I mean, the list could go on and on and sadly, it seems to be getting longer and with grater frequency. There are huge lists of class changes every few weeks now, rather than just during content patches. At least it gives me something to read.

15+ Year Old Account
    Pre-today, you would have Soul Warding, Mental Agility and stay with Inner Will up. However, today:

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Body and Soul no longer reduces the mana cost of Power Word: Shield (the hotfix made on February 16 to provide this additional benefit has been reverted).
    Closed.