Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

Star Wars: The Old Republic Bounty Hunter Trailer

Damn now I want to play a bounty hunter...

Anyone know the voice actor? Sounds like Steve Blum. You might know him as Spike from Cowboy Bebop, and a whole bunch of other things.

He voices other characters in Bioware games such as Oghren from Dragon Age, and Grunt from Mass Effect 2, so it wouldn't be surprising.
    Last edited by moaradin; 2011-03-03 at 06:44 PM.

bounty hunter or sith warrior?

ohhh the choices...

Jedi/Sith are pretty much out of the equation for me right now lol. I always wanted to be a Smuggler.. but now I'm torn between Smuggler or Bounty Hunter. I'll probably play each story eventually. Steve Blum is awesome though.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    ok, looking forward to this, but i must say, i'm not impressed by the gameplay, At all...

Hell yeah! Now that is what im talking about
    It seems to me that they can pull it off with haveing classes that are diferent yet cool and can make a difference even against "force users". It looks like a good balance and one that will get people to play other classes than jedi. Excellent Bioware!

Quote Originally Posted by Esedess View Post
    ok, looking forward to this, but i must say, i'm not impressed by the gameplay, At all...
    If you were to compare this trailer to any other MMO in history, it would look leagues and bounds ahead. MMOs in general up until now simply looked boring. There's no way in telling how the combat actually plays out until you play it yourself, but people that got to play it at conventions last year say its very polished, and that was a very early build and you can really notice the improvements since then just from watching the progress alone.

PAX East is in a couple days, and TOR is supposed to have a huge booth with a more final version of the game. Expect a bunch of impressions then.

10+ Year Old Account
    Finally the BH class video! =)

I can't wait to fry me some Jedi.

Quote Originally Posted by Esedess View Post
    but i must say, i'm not impressed by the gameplay, At all...
    For the life of me, I just can't understand you people that keep saying this. You're nuts! WHAT are you comparing it to? (If you say WoW, I'm going to kill a kitten)
    Last edited by Trollsbane; 2011-03-03 at 07:11 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by moaradin View Post
    If you were to compare this trailer to any other MMO in history, it would look leagues and bounds ahead.
    You obviously never saw Tera in action then.

I'm a defender of TOR as I want it to succeed and play a fun star wars mmo during my offtime, but i cant help but shake the feeling that the gameplay is mighty sluggish for a game thats supposed to have rediculous speed ( laserblasts dont travel at 10m p/h, come on :/ ) plus the running and gunning animation looks like that of a dude that just broke his arm.

Step it up on the animations Bioware, graphics and story otherwise are solid so far. But the eye wants something too. I'll load little big planet if I wanna play with puppets.

Nice class otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Solarsting View Post
    You obviously never saw Tera in action then.

I'm a defender of TOR as I want it to succeed and play a fun star wars mmo during my offtime, but i cant help but shake the feeling that the gameplay is mighty sluggish for a game thats supposed to have rediculous speed ( laserblasts dont travel at 10m p/h, come on :/ ) plus the running and gunning animation looks like that of a dude that just broke his arm.

Step it up on the animations Bioware, graphics and story otherwise are solid so far. But the eye wants something too. I'll load little big planet if I wanna play with puppets.

Nice class otherwise.
    Have you seen Star Wars before? Thats how lasers in Star Wars are..

And the animations are the best so far seen in a MMO. They aren't perfect and can be improved, but compared to other MMOs, its much better. Look at the flamethrower and how great it looks and sounds.

Deleted
    Ive seen the first movie back in 1995, I know for a fact lasers travel faster then that, but im sure its gameplay balancing so im not gonan argue over such an obvious designing descision, and no the animations are clunky, like i said, go have a look at tera, thats what smooth animations should look like, if we are going to be graphical about this ( not gameplayish, so hold back the flames fellas, because opinions differ an prejudices reign )

Not hating on Tor, absolutely not, im a star wars fan like every other sane human being, but when i see flaws in its design that i would like to have seen otherwise, ill state them, instead of blind fanboyism ( not accusing anyone of being one ) i dish out some positive critizism.

Ill still play it, ill still enjoy it, but not for the games ragdollish animations, but because i expect a solid story. but the animations are just lacking compared to most other 2011 titles ( even in MMO world )

I remember when someone said wow had better strafing characters then tor did after seeing a trooper demo back in summer of '10, couldnt agree more. Id like to see a more human element to their characters in how they move about.

I must admit that this is the first video I've seen of Star Wars: The Old Republic, but after reading countless posts on this forum about SW:TOR being the best thing since sliced bread and the appraisal it gets in general, I'm quite disappointed.

In my opinion the graphics and animations sure aren't as mentioned above ''the best so far seen in a MMO'' and the animations looked really clunky and unnatural.

That said, I have no interest in a Star Wars game and as I mentioned in another topic:

I'm just sad that Bioware had to ''waste'' all this time and talent on an mmo based on Star Wars

Quote Originally Posted by moaradin View Post
    Have you seen Star Wars before? Thats how lasers in Star Wars are..

And the animations are the best so far seen in a MMO. They aren't perfect and can be improved, but compared to other MMOs, its much better. Look at the flamethrower and how great it looks and sounds.
    I have to disagree with you .. animations are not good in any way or shape.. They are not horrible.. but are pretty bad TBH.. While WoW animations are not perfect either..feel from WoW animations is just better (and I am not big fan of WoW btw)...

Look .. I want ToR to succeed and I know ToR has awesome team behind it.. but being honest.. the game doesn't look that good or epic.. actually ..it looks pretty bad (animation and combat wise)..

Quote Originally Posted by Zoeii View Post
    I must admit that this is the first video I've seen of Star Wars: The Old Republic, but after reading countless posts on this forum about SW:TOR being the best thing since sliced bread and the appraisal it gets in general, I'm quite disappointed.

In my opinion the graphics and animations sure aren't as mentioned above ''the best so far seen in a MMO'' and the animations looked really clunky and unnatural.

That said, I have no interest in a Star Wars game and as I mentioned in another topic:

I'm just sad that Bioware had to ''waste'' all this time and talent on an mmo based on Star Wars

Must admit I am an avid starwars fan and my 1st thought after watching that video was also "hmm the combat looked rather clunky" it has got me worrying tbh I hope it gets better
    Science has made us gods even before we are worthy of being men: Jean Rostand. Yeah, Atheism is a religion like bald is a hair colour!.
    Classic: "The tank is the driver, the healer is the fuel, and the DPS are the kids sitting in the back seat screaming and asking if they're there yet."
    Irony >> "do they even realize that having a state religion IS THE REASON WE LEFT BRITTEN? god these people are idiots"

Quote Originally Posted by ManiaCCC View Post
    I have to disagree with you .. animations are not good in any way or shape.. They are not horrible.. but are pretty bad TBH.. While WoW animations are not perfect either..feel from WoW animations is just better (and I am not big fan of WoW btw)...

Look .. I want ToR to succeed and I know ToR has awesome team behind it.. but being honest.. the game doesn't look that good or epic.. actually ..it looks pretty bad (animation and combat wise)..
    Well until you provide reasons why you think the animations are bad, I wont take it seriously. Everything in this trailer looked very smooth to me. The flame thrower, the part where he froze the jedi and transported him in the carbonite, all looked great and much more advanced than animations in current MMOs.
    Last edited by moaradin; 2011-03-03 at 07:36 PM.

Deleted
    pause at 0.38 and then press play again and watch the BH run past the screen

Im sorry, but that aint human, or Geonosian, or even Vulcan ( what?! )

I think the most of us are on the same page about this one, and it could really dent the immersion factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Solarsting View Post
    pause at 0.38 and then press play again and watch the BH run past the screen

Im sorry, but that aint human, or Geonosian, or even Vulcan ( what?! )

I think the most of us are on the same page about this one, and it could really dent the immersion factor.
    lol wut? I have no Idea what you're complaining about. I see nothing wrong.

Yep the animations have been bad from day 1 on it looks like they haven't really changed anything about it. I doubt they will at this point.
    It looks completely ridiculous how the characters move and fight...
    1. How he Jedi draws his lightsaber
    2. How he runs and shoots his pistol with one hand
    3. How he sprays his liquid freezing thingy on the Jedi

All of this looks like it's from some funny cartoon instead of serious combat.

Quote Originally Posted by Doylez View Post
    Yep the animations have been bad from day 1 on it looks like they haven't really changed anything about it. I doubt they will at this point.
    It looks completely ridiculous how the characters move and fight...
    1. How he Jedi draws his lightsaber
    2. How he runs and shoots his pistol with one hand
    3. How he sprays his liquid freezing thingy on the Jedi

All of this looks like it's from some funny cartoon instead of serious combat.
    Lol compared to what?

1. Thats how Jedi draw their lightsabers sometimes
    2. as far as I know, thats what pistols are meant for
    3. It looks great

MMOs will never be up to par with single player games in terms of animations, but these are definitely the best so far for an MMO. Until someone can provide a decent argument otherwise, instead of saying "those are bad hur dur", I'm sticking to it.

Deleted
    Since you fail to see it, then have a look at this:

Now compare to said video above. If I'm going to have to use a video to convince you then so be it. ( PS: Yes this is all ingame and not a pre-rendered cinematic, the only flashy thing about it are the camera angles, but the bounty hunter video did just that )

And yes, this is an MMO, and its available today
    So once again, step it up Bioware, with that massive Lucasarts funding behind you, you can surely do better then some lame small Korean company that was born yesterday, right?

Edit: fixed link
    Last edited by mmoc8511c888fc; 2011-03-03 at 08:01 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Call me crazy, but I don't think Tera looks very good at all. It looks like Aion. Great pixels, bad all else. I personally think Aion and Rift have better graphics, but meh. Just generic in all animations. The combat animations look way to drawn out and just silly. And the way the soreress moves... realy? To each their own though. I think Aion and Rift look better than Tera personally.

As for TOR, the run animations are supposedly place holders. We'll see.

Here's "slow" Star Wars lazer fire:

And here's in game. Look at 2:18. Doesn't seem all that slow to me.

---------- Post added 2011-03-03 at 11:52 AM ----------

Solar, that video is blocked. I'm guessing you meant this one:

Here's another for fun's sake:

Last edited by Trollsbane; 2011-03-03 at 07:56 PM.