Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Sandy Bridge overclocking

So I've never used the Turbo Boost technology before...for a stock 2500k, it "overclocks/turbo" to 3.7 GHz (0.4 increase).

If, for instance, I overclock it to 4 GHz and did not disable turbo boost, does it mean it will turbo to 4.4 GHz every time I need it? Wouldn't it be smarter to disable turbo boost and just run it at 4 GHz all the time (at stock voltage). I feel completely lost with that technology...anybody mind explaining it?

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    You certainly can disable the Turbo technology, but it's not recommended.

Overclocking with SB is easier than ever before. You don't OC the idle state, you only OC the turbo. Normally a SB 2500k idles at 1.6 GHz and goes up to 3.3-3.7 GHz when it gets something to do. If you change the multiplier to 40, it means the turbo has been overclocked and the processor will run at 4.0 GHz (or slightly lower, depending on how you adjust the settings in the BIOS) under load. Idle will remain at 1.6 GHz regardless, unless you completely disable the Turbo function.

Quote Originally Posted by Beace View Post
    You certainly can disable the Turbo technology, but it's not recommended.

Overclocking with SB is easier than ever before. You don't OC the idle state, you only OC the turbo. Normally a SB 2500k idles at 1.6 GHz and goes up to 3.3-3.7 GHz when it gets something to do. If you change the multiplier to 40, it means the turbo has been overclocked and the processor will run at 4.0 GHz (or slightly lower, depending on how you adjust the settings in the BIOS) under load. Idle will remain at 1.6 GHz regardless, unless you completely disable the Turbo function.

Got it!. I usually set my max load @ 95% of the max frequency, and I plan on OC'ing it to 4 GHz using an H50 on stock voltage.

Easier than that --> You die.

Btw, credits for Beace for helping me and resolving this thread in 1 answer. Thats pro shit right there.

I personally have mine disabled and just run 5.2 all the time. Some people have trouble with it getting "stuck" at 1.6GHz and not going into the turbo mode even with a load put on the CPU.

There isn't really anything bad about leaving it at full frequency all the time... you will just use more energy at idle and your idle temperatures will be higher.

You may want to be sure your Sandy Bridge chip is not defective before trying to OC it past what warrenty permits.

Quote Originally Posted by Versedian View Post
    You may want to be sure your Sandy Bridge chip is not defective before trying to OC it past what warrenty permits.
    This would be the "I heard something random so decided to be a clueless naysayer" type post.

Yes, most of us with these are aware there is an issue with the Sandy Bridge CHIPSET (i.e the mainboard). There's no common defect in the CPU's. The board defect means the Sata 2 controllers on the boards CAN (and it's a fairly small percentage) slowly degrade to a point where the error correction fails so much that your transfer rate drops to zero. Only effects the sata-2 ports, only a "might happen over time" fault.

Nothing wrong with avoiding the crap out of these till the middle of the year when all the boards will be fixed but most folks aren't going to experience much issue before the board swap most manufacturers are doing from around april onwards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I knew it would be useful to be french at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx
    just get a mac. It's like sleeping with a fat chick to avoid STD's.

Keywords here are,

1) Most
    2) Can

You're correct most users are aware, but not all. Spreading of information is what the internet was made for, I may have possibly allowed one user with a faulty chipset that MAY have degraded over time and caused his product that he DID pay thousands of dollars for to realize and fix his problem before it happened to him down the line and I am content with that.

If my one sentence post wasted the 2-3 seconds of your eyes reading and it was irrelevant to you as you've already been aware I am sorry. Then again if your reading this you've already wasted more than 2-3 seconds of your reading and this time, I'm not sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Versedian View Post
    Keywords here are,

1) Most
    2) Can

You're correct most users are aware, but not all. Spreading of information is what the internet was made for, I may have possibly allowed one user with a faulty chipset that MAY have degraded over time and caused his product that he DID pay thousands of dollars for to realize and fix his problem before it happened to him down the line and I am content with that.

If my one sentence post wasted the 2-3 seconds of your eyes reading and it was irrelevant to you as you've already been aware I am sorry. Then again if your reading this you've already wasted more than 2-3 seconds of your reading and this time, I'm not sorry.
    I like the keyword bit there.......picked out of the wrong sentence. As merc said, you seem very misinformed. And your first comment did not even say ANYTHING about the actual problem that has arisen with the 1155 boards(not even the actual the CPU, which your first statement alluded to). The only problem is with SATA 2 ports, which the majority of the population wouldn't even use. So don't go fear mongering about something you don't know about please.

I left mine at 3.3, and it ramps up to 4.5 when it needs it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickensoup23 View Post
    So I've never used the Turbo Boost technology before...for a stock 2500k, it "overclocks/turbo" to 3.7 GHz (0.4 increase).

If, for instance, I overclock it to 4 GHz and did not disable turbo boost, does it mean it will turbo to 4.4 GHz every time I need it? Wouldn't it be smarter to disable turbo boost and just run it at 4 GHz all the time (at stock voltage). I feel completely lost with that technology...anybody mind explaining it?
    Remember the stock turbo policy is that it can reach 3.7 GHz ONLY when it can shut down other cores. I think it also has a time limit for how long it will allow itself to be clocked that "high".
    Check this picture for some info. The OC information (purple boxes saying 4.1 as max) is what the limit is when manually overclocking on a non-k processor. But I'm talking about of the green boxes atm.

As Beace said, the usual way to go around with SB overclocking is to take control over turbo boost, setting multiplier value and adjust its policies about active core limits and allowing it to exceed TDP. Fancy motherboards like the ones we buy usually does the latter two things by themselves, but it doesn't hurt to manually set it if you suspect that the CPU sometimes is downclocking itself in a situation where it really could've made use of the higher clockspeed.

This guide was very helpful for overclocking my sandy bridge setup: http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overc...beginners.html
    It might be slightly different depending on your particular motherboard.

So when I want to OC my SB 2500k, I only need to touch the turbo ratio, and ramp it up (to, say, 40 for 4 GHz), and the CPU will increase to 4 GHz from the 1.6 (idle) when it's under load, and voila?

Do I have to do anything with the DRAM settings, or am I missing something in the process? To me, it looks kinda just like ^

No messing with the ram necessary, just the bump up the CPU multiplier and possibly the cpu voltage to get things to run stable (4GHz should be okay on stock voltages, but if you get any BSOD's or random restarts, you might need more) The CPU speed automatically adjusts itself based on the load on it.
    Last edited by Adappy; 2011-03-06 at 09:51 PM.

So when I want to OC my SB 2500k, I only need to touch the turbo ratio, and ramp it up (to, say, 40 for 4 GHz), and the CPU will increase to 4 GHz from the 1.6 (idle) when it's under load, and voila?

Do I have to do anything with the DRAM settings, or am I missing something in the process? To me, it looks kinda just like ^
    Exactly what its like. And if you want to be lazy, most of the mobos have an "Autotune" feature. Just run that and it will ramp it up until you say stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoobasteve1226 View Post
    Exactly what its like. And if you want to be lazy, most of the mobos have an "Autotune" feature. Just run that and it will ramp it up until you say stop.
    Wow. So I can just BIOS > Voltage > 40 > Boot > Win?

Yep, it's that easy.

I would at least shoot for 4.5GHz though... there is no point in getting the "K" CPU if you only want 4GHz, because I am pretty sure with proper tweaking and a decent motherboard the non-K version of the CPU can get to 4GHz. From what I have seen many get in the 4.8GHz range, while a lot get in the 5GHz range, and quite a bit get 5.2+.

Quote Originally Posted by noremac View Post
    I would at least shoot for 4.5GHz though... there is no point in getting the "K" CPU if you only want 4GHz, because I am pretty sure with proper tweaking and a decent motherboard the non-K version of the CPU can get to 4GHz. From what I have seen many get in the 4.8GHz range, while a lot get in the 5GHz range, and quite a bit get 5.2+.
    Well I'm no real big expert, so I'd like to get a mild overclock without touching ANYTHING but the turbo frequency (and, of course, putting the DRAM where it should be). The OC on the 2500 (non-K) is max 5%, and even there, it`s really NOT recommended, since it can fuck up alot of things.

hence why for 15$, the extra 0.7 GHz on stock cooling is, imo, the best buy you can get for the money for an increased % as of 2011, CPU-wise. (esp since you dont have to buy an aftermarket cooler!)

Well I'm no real big expert, so I'd like to get a mild overclock without touching ANYTHING but the turbo frequency (and, of course, putting the DRAM where it should be). The OC on the 2500 (non-K) is max 5%, and even there, it`s really NOT recommended, since it can fuck up alot of things.

hence why for 15$, the extra 0.7 GHz on stock cooling is, imo, the best buy you can get for the money for an increased % as of 2011, CPU-wise. (esp since you dont have to buy an aftermarket cooler!)
    Like I said before, find the "Autotune" button for whatever mobo you use. It will put it up to 4.5 EASILY.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoobasteve1226 View Post
    Like I said before, find the "Autotune" button for whatever mobo you use. It will put it up to 4.5 EASILY.
    and it tunes the voltage and everything alone? ex; I say "Put it @ 4.5" and it will do it auto...

So like I could run Prime95 for 48 hours with it, with a decent cooling like an Hyper212, a Noctua or an H70?