Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
    e-sport arenas.

Yes, i went there
    Agreed... I play and pay for my video games... they don't play and pay me too each and every day... there's no reason for them to either...

On another note, Poker SHOULD be considered a sport, due to the amount of stress you have to endure while sitting at a table with some highly talented players...

Deleted
    I'm sorry if I'm starting to sound like an ambassador of motorsports here, but I could say without a doubt, that most of the posters in this thread wouldn't last two laps in a Formula 1 car, when driven like the top guys do. Driving a car competively is something that requires you to be more fit than many, MANY other sports, and if physical exertion is something that defines sport, well there you have it.

Now, there might be some other factors of which some think motorsports isn't really a sport, but I haven't seen any good reasons yet

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zethras View Post
    Curling, and, as a Canadian, I 100% agree.

Sports are supposed to be physically demanding for the most part.

Curling and golf arn't very physically demanding.
    You kind sir, never played Golf.

uuhm, I say Billards/Pool/Snooker w/e the one is with the 15 red balls and the other colored ones. Also Curling as other people mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by nonamekiller View Post
    ^ title.

Name some sport(s) that you think should not be a sport.

Don't just post a sport and say it shouldn't be a sport, give some facts and reasons on why you think the sport should not be a sport.

EDIT:I wouldn't count Drag Racing as a sport. They basically race 2 cars in a straight path, and the race finishes in about 5 seconds. All you have to do is put the pedal to the metal, no strategy or anything what-so-ever during the race (I believe).

Definition of a sport. "An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others" http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/de.../sport?view=uk
    If you don't think Drag Racing is a sport, then you need to try it. You will soon realize how much Strength and Endurance you need for your body to go from 0-325 in 4.5 seconds. There's plenty of strategy in how engines are set up alone, but on the track Grooves, Moisture in the air, Hot or cold out?, many things that come into play as strategy. Don't forget reflexes. Hitting gears at the right time, and Don't forget the split millisecond you need to pop the parachute or, well, your chances of walking away are slim. =)

Same above goes for NASCAR(didnt read to see if anyone has posted it yet or not, but Im someone Has, or at least thought about it) Except you have other cars on the track to worry about other than yourself.

Taken from Wikipedia, as I know most people are too lazy to read or just don't care as they have their opinions. But:

A sport is an organized, competitive, entertaining, and skillful activity requiring commitment, strategy, and fair play, in which a winner can be defined by objective means. It is governed by a set of rules or customs. Activities such as card games and board games, are classified as "mind sports" and some are recognized as Olympic sports, requiring primarily mental skills and mental physical involvement. Non-competitive activities, for example as jogging or playing catch are usually classified as forms of recreation.
    Physical events such as scoring goals or crossing a line first often define the result of a sport. However, the degree of skill and performance in some sports such as diving, dressage and figure skating is judged according to well-defined criteria. This is in contrast with other judged activities such as beauty pageants and body building, where skill does not have to be shown and the criteria are not as well defined.

Quote Originally Posted by Baabinator View Post
    What about going for a heavy shit while running?

Sorry, couldn't resist.
    Now that's an impressive sport.

Hunting. Plain and simple. There is no way that is a sport.
    If people criticized the Bible as much as they criticize WOW we'd all be atheists.

A lot of you need to read this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    So many sports that woman either play better or at least look better doing it. Much rather watch women's tennis, volleyball, golf, field hockey, gymnastics, etc...
    I was agreeing with you till you said golf. Women sport - though it may not be as flashy when comparing for example WNBA to NBA it still competitive

-- As far as I am concerned, it is not a sport unless your facing someone at the sametime during the course of the game, people laugh at ping pong but that shiiiiiiiiii is serious! (There can be exceptions like ultimate frisebee -_-)

Sidenote - There is different levels and kinds of sport
    Last edited by Wakaflocka; 2011-03-07 at 11:21 PM.

Herald of the Titans Baabinator's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mass0wnage View Post
    If you don't think Drag Racing is a sport, then you need to try it. You will soon realize how much Strength and Endurance you need for your body to go from 0-325 in 4.5 seconds. There's plenty of strategy in how engines are set up alone, but on the track Grooves, Moisture in the air, Hot or cold out?, many things that come into play as strategy. Don't forget reflexes. Hitting gears at the right time, and Don't forget the split millisecond you need to pop the parachute or, well, your chances of walking away are slim. =)

Same above goes for NASCAR(didnt read to see if anyone has posted it yet or not, but Im someone Has, or at least thought about it) Except you have other cars on the track to worry about other than yourself.
    IMO any sport that involves you being in/out/on or utilizing a machine/animal is not a sport.

It is merely a skilltest. Who is the best at driving really fast? Who can make the best cake? What can bake the best cookies? Who can drive circles the fastest?

Sure it's enduring, and you need training. But in the end of the road you rely on something else other then your own physique to pull off such a stunt.

Driving in circles isn't a sport in my book, running in circles however, is.

~~~

Meanwhile in Australia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Wo...football_3.jpg
    Scars show you the remnants and failures of the past.

~¡¡¡!!!AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, STOP ASKING ABOUT MY AVATAR, I DON'T KNOW!!!¡¡¡~

Quote Originally Posted by thedankson View Post
    Anything you can play competitively while smoking a cigarette. [Curling, pool, bowling, etc]
    When we had captains practices for football and hockey we would smoke and chew during it. I even remember our goalie chewing during a hockey game. He was gutting it. And jsut because you can do it competitively while smoke doesn't mean it's not a sport, I bow an average of 186, and that's shit comapred to pros. That's like a lvl 85 dps in all BIS going into heroics and doing 200 dps. Just because some things are leisure activities doesn't mean that at the pro level that it isn't a sport.

Curling is tough as nails. It looks easy but I've tried it, it takes a lot of balance to keep up wile throwing the stone.

Pool, i could agree isn't a sport. feels more like a video game when I play it. Something so easily broken down mathematically just amkes it seem like a video game.

I'll give most anything the title of sport as long as it requires a decent amount of skill.
    If people criticized the Bible as much as they criticize WOW we'd all be atheists.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerby View Post
    I'm sorry if I'm starting to sound like an ambassador of motorsports here, but I could say without a doubt, that most of the posters in this thread wouldn't last two laps in a Formula 1 car, when driven like the top guys do. Driving a car competively is something that requires you to be more fit than many, MANY other sports, and if physical exertion is something that defines sport, well there you have it.

Now, there might be some other factors of which some think motorsports isn't really a sport, but I haven't seen any good reasons yet
    under this reasoning things that stress the body and require fitness but are not considered "sports"

being an astronaut in a shuttle lauch
    flying a plane in the army
    being in the army (probs should specify being on active duty)
    going on certain rollercoasters
    etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by Aitch View Post
    A lot of you need to read this.
    thanks for posting that

"A sport is an organized, competitive, entertaining, and skillful activity requiring commitment, strategy, and fair play,"

that backs up my claim taht hunting is not a sport.

There's no doubt that 99% of people couldn't last a lap in any motorsport really. But a motorsport is a motorsport, not a sport. I myself am apart of the fledgling hovercraft racing scene, and what we do is definitely mentally and physically tough. But what separates us is that fact that we do not physically exert ourselves to put the vehicle in motion, the engine does. That's the distinction between a motorsport and a sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Penatar View Post
    thanks for posting that

"A sport is an organized, competitive, entertaining, and skillful activity requiring commitment, strategy, and fair play,"

that backs up my claim taht hunting is not a sport.
    Unless it's a hunting competition where the two hunters are using similar equipment in two areas with similar game density.

Everyone who says "motorsports" for an answer to "doesn't require physical activity" have no clue. Try driving 15 minutes with go karts (the stepping stone for more demanding motorsports) and tell me you don't feel like you've done something physical.
    Let alone drive a lemans car for 6+ hours
    Religion is like a penis.
    It's fine to have one.
    It's fine to be proud of it.
    But please, don't whip it out in public and wave it around,
    And please, don't try to shove it down my children's throats.

10+ Year Old Account
    Womens ______

Lol no...

I'd have to go with... Starcraft.

10+ Year Old Account
    I heard Ballroom Dancing is in the upcoming Olympics. Oh the joy. Another thing to add to my list of things to avoid in the Olympics

E-Sports, as someone else mentioned....I don't think anyone actually thinks they are sports but they really should be called something else. Bowling, golf, badminton, ping pong, and a few others...well I'm sure quite a few others, are not sports.

As for Nascar/Car racing, its actually extremely intense. Those cars get like to 130 degrees F or so and they have their damn suit on top of that. And then there is the whole crashing at 150 mph thing. Though I'm not even a big fan of the sport anymore, I do have some respect, its a lot of work and most people don't recognize that its more than just driving a car....and man those right turns are pretty hard too

Endurance and physical activity don't necessarily have anything to do to the definition of the word sport. Smashing my face against a wall for 6 hours would be an impressive feat of endurance, but that doesn't make it a sport.