Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Anything that requires judges. (Referees are technically judges, but you get the idea)
    Anything that involves a motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerby View Post
    Everyone who says "motorsports" for an answer to "doesn't require physical activity" have no clue. Try driving 15 minutes with go karts (the stepping stone for more demanding motorsports) and tell me you don't feel like you've done something physical.
    i sense that you live in the south...
    ''If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let their be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it.'' Quoted from-

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy1346 View Post
    took me time to realize u meant soccer. agreed

anyway, nascar/golf... and track. your running in an oval... whoopy. spoiler alert, the kenyan won
    You do realise how much effort is required to race Nascar right? I'm British, never been to a Nascar race in my life... but seriously those things weigh close to 2 tonnes, topping 200mph and staying inches, perfectly behind your opponents to draft requires some serious skill and physical strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponchu View Post
    motorsport, like horse riding, mostly comes down to how much money you have - if you have the fastest car its going to be a lot easier to win yeah?

ps. I realize the drivers are sponsored and the cars are all very similar and whatnot im just being antagonistic
    i used to think like this about horseback riding. then i dated someone who was into it (she had had her own horse for several years now) and i found out that if you are not in peak physical condition, it will mess you up. her back was so ripped it earned the name "back-pack" from me. too bad all girls who horseback ride are crazy XD

That's a good point ofcourse, one of the few. It is true that the power that moves you itself doesn't exactly come out of your body, but things like steering and general control of the vehicle demand so much precision, fitness and balls that it would be ignorant to class it as "not a sport".

Now if we want to start talking things with two different terms "motorsports" and "sports" then that's a different story I guess. But the "sport" in motorsport is still there.
    Yeah and I completely agree that the control of the vehicle requires a hell of a lot of ability and physical strength to endure the force put on your body. It all comes down to semantics really. For me, a motorsport and a sport two different things. They share a lot of traits, but are ultimately different in my eyes.

And I think the term "motorsport" was made because "motorcompetition" didn't sound nearly as good. :P
    Last edited by Papalenin; 2011-03-07 at 11:53 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy1346 View Post
    i sense that you live in the south...
    I live in Finland. I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean by that

Quote Originally Posted by Baabinator View Post
    IMO any sport that involves you being in/out/on or utilizing a machine/animal is not a sport.

It is merely a skilltest. Who is the best at driving really fast? Who can make the best cake? What can bake the best cookies? Who can drive circles the fastest?

Sure it's enduring, and you need training. But in the end of the road you rely on something else other then your own physique to pull off such a stunt.

Driving in circles isn't a sport in my book, running in circles however, is.

~~~

Meanwhile in Australia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Wo...football_3.jpg
    Obviously to someone that never sat down and watched a complete race, or has never been to one of these Sporting Events, you wouldn't understand. But I'd like to see anyone that sais you don't rely on your own personal physique try to drive a 200mph car in a circle for 3-4hours, with the occasional 15second pit stop, or the slowing to 50-75mph Because a couple drivers wiped out. With 42 other drivers within Inches at most times.

What about the pit crews? They're directly competing with other Pit crews to get the tires changed, Car gas'd up, Adjustments made, as quickly as possible as to assure they're Driver gets out as soon as possible. But this isn't ever listed on anything as a sport? How about their endurance, and physical skills? I think that matters.

Now for those that really have no clue about Drag Racing and NASCAR and have never watched a single race. Motorsports, expecially at these speeds, can and often will inflict greater pain than any other sport, and more often then not, death. Not everyone wants to put their life on the line every weekend, these guys do.
    Some of you may remember these days.
    Last edited by Mass0wnage; 2011-03-08 at 02:36 AM.

Golf is a extremely physically and mentally demanding sport, in all seriousness. Go walk 36 holes and then hit 1000 balls on the range, which was a normal day of practice for me when i was playing competively. It is also one of the highest grossing professional sports and takes the most practice of any sport . Also for the morons that don't believe boxing is a sport, i dare any of you to fight for 10+ rounds having your cheekbones driven deeper into your face by a pair of 8 ounce gloves and tell me in isnt physically demanding.

and women's sports aren't sports, they are comedy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mortymer View Post
    Anything that requires judges. (Referees are technically judges, but you get the idea)
    Anything that involves a motor.
    This whole time I thought extreme courtroom go-karts was a sport. I was wrong
    If people criticized the Bible as much as they criticize WOW we'd all be atheists.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rillak View Post
    Starcraft.
    I second this.

To those that said golf: Go to a nice course, hit 18 holes, then tell me you aren't tired. Walk a few miles, get EXTREMELY frustrated from hitting shitty, throw your club at your friend laughing at you. Good times.

I live in Finland. I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean by that
    Most Americans look down on motorsports because NASCAR is the only real mainstream motorsport here. "Generally" people who like NASCAR are 'hicks' or 'rednecks' which are associated with the southern states of America, referred to as the south. The more you know, eh?

And Nascar has a bad rep here because they "just turn left". Obviously, there's a lot more to it but I myself find it quite boring to watch because the track layout is so simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Tunasaladin View Post
    cheerleading...
    Yes. 1000x yes. I'm not sexist at all, but cheerleading is not a sport any more than ballroom dancing is a sport. Sure you get tossed into the air, but I see that in dances as well. Something that was started as a way to draw more males into attending sporting events should never be considered a sport.

---------- Post added 2011-03-07 at 11:59 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxi View Post
    I second this.

To those that said golf: Go to a nice course, hit 18 holes, then tell me you aren't tired. Walk a few miles, get EXTREMELY frustrated from hitting shitty, throw your club at your friend laughing at you. Good times.
    I will only allow people who can get under a 75 on a course tell me golf isn't a sport, and 75 is pushing it.
    If people criticized the Bible as much as they criticize WOW we'd all be atheists.

Quote Originally Posted by Papalenin View Post
    There's no doubt that 99% of people couldn't last a lap in any motorsport really. But a motorsport is a motorsport, not a sport. I myself am apart of the fledgling hovercraft racing scene, and what we do is definitely mentally and physically tough. But what separates us is that fact that we do not physically exert ourselves to put the vehicle in motion, the engine does. That's the distinction between a motorsport and a sport.
    The fact is : it is mentally and physically tough, so in extent, it IS a sport in the exact same way as any other.
    What this physical energy is spent on is another problem, it has nothing to do with what is discussed here.

Consider it that way, Imagine two kind of competitions on a flat field :
    one is about pushing a huge rock on 500m, it's a race ;
    one other is about making the same huge rock roll on 500m while being on its top, it's a race too.
    These two games use the same object, a huge rock, as a tool, but in a different way.
    The first one can be considered a brute-force game, you will need basics in physics (any decent human have those from the age of 2) and a lot of strength ;
    The second one can be considered a skill game, you will need a lot of equilibrium which implies knowing how this kind of object reacts (again, some sort of non-mathematical physics) and coordination, you will also need a lot of strength in diverse parts of your body ;

Can you say the first one is a sport and the second one is not, just because the first is more demanding for some parts while the second one has more even-shared strength demands ?
    Can you say the second one is not a sport because he doesn't directly move the rock, it's the way he stands on the rock that does ?

That's not even remotely logical :l

Anything that starts with "Women's."

Reason: Who actually watches them or thinks they can compete on a professional level?

Fully agreed.
    Although I don't throw any clubs anymore, too expensive a set I'm using now.
    Anyone not thinking Golf is a Sport, I would love to see them WALK 18 holes FOUR DAYS IN A ROW while shooting under 100.
    lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Penatar View Post
    I will only allow people who can get under a 75 on a course tell me golf isn't a sport, and 75 is pushing it.
    75?? I've never even come close.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Papalenin View Post
    Most Americans look down on motorsports because NASCAR is the only real mainstream motorsport here. "Generally" people who like NASCAR are 'hicks' or 'rednecks' which are associated with the southern states of America, referred to as the south. The more you know, eh?

And Nascar has a bad rep here because they "just turn left". Obviously, there's a lot more to it but I myself find it quite boring to watch because the track layout is so simple.
    Okay, I figured it to mean something like that. I haven't watched NASCAR much, and yes I've made jokes about it myself aswell, but I still think it as a sport.

75?? I've never even come close.
    because you are not an actual golfer, just a recreational player, That backs up the course that i am playing on.

Quote Originally Posted by Eled. View Post
    The fact is : it is mentally and physically tough, so in extent, it IS a sport in the exact same way as any other.
    What this physical energy is spent on is another problem, it has nothing to do with what is discussed here.

Consider it that way, Imagine two kind of competitions on a flat field :
    one is about pushing a huge rock on 500m, it's a race ;
    one other is about making the same huge rock roll on 500m while being on its top, it's a race too.
    These two games use the same object, a huge rock, as a tool, but in a different way.
    The first one can be considered a brute-force game, you will need basics in physics (any decent human have those from the age of 2) and a lot of strength ;
    The second one can be considered a skill game, you will need a lot of equilibrium which implies knowing how this kind of object reacts (again, some sort of non-mathematical physics) and coordination, you will also need a lot of strength in diverse parts of your body ;

Can you say the first one is a sport and the second one is not, just because the first is more demanding for some parts while the second one has more even-shared strength demands ?
    Can you say the second one is not a sport because he doesn't directly move the rock, it's the way he stands on the rock that does ?

That's not even remotely logical :l
    Not a very good comparison. In that exact post I said the thing that separates the two is the fact that a motor is present in a motorsport. That's the distinction. I'm in no way talking down motorsports, as I race myself and am quite an enthusiast. But a motorsport and a sport are two different things because of the presence of the motor. One is not better than the other. They're just different.