Thread: Mind Sear (lol)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Abandon View Post
    You can since the latest patch, but that means doing no AoE damage until your melee has run in to the middle of a group of things.
    I heard changing targets was hard. Start AoE on a mob, then swap to a melee, or start it on a tank if they are tanked. If the mobs fall over within first 5 seconds of first mind sear channel making it break and wasting your mana then your support on AoE is clearly not needed and you can focus on the task you are far better at, boss pewpew.

If those adds have any nasty effects (Blood on Cho, Lava Parasites, the exploding crystals in Stonecore, ect) then you wouldn't have a lot of melee standing a the middle of them anyway.
    9 out of 10 cases only the aggro target of the nasty-effect-mob gets hit by the nasty effect. 5man faceroll fight is faceroll. In other two examples you gave there is no reason for melee to not help on the AoE if it's needed.

You also can't actually pick what mobs you want to hit that way, so if the tank or melee needs to move out for any reason you need to cancel and re-target it.
    On the other hand, if the mobs are moved out of initial AoE area your MInd Sear follows them. Everyhting has pluses and minuses, if the mobs run out of blizzard-like AoE the caster has to break it as well. Also, if the tank is the one moving out you can assume the mobs are probably going to follow.

Really, the only issue with Mind Sear is it's damage. Ever since it's targetable on friendlies "my target died" is MUCH less of an issue, and having your AoE move with the mobs is hardly a bad thing.
    Last edited by mmocab3a46fee3; 2011-03-05 at 02:19 AM.

I've just been on the PTR, and Mind Sear is now also ticking on the target itself (not on friendlies).

Quote Originally Posted by Harb View Post
    May I? May I please? :-)

My prediction:
    1) Mind Sear will hit live servers as it's now on PTR, doing double damage
    2) Within 24 hours, it'll be analyzed by Blizzard
    3) Empowered Shadow (which buffs Mind Sear) will thus be nerfed by 50% via hotfix, bringing Mind Sear back to line
    Lmao so true.

Quote Originally Posted by Vook View Post
    It appears that all (or most) AoE is getting buffed, IE. Multi-Shot is getting increased by 250%.
    Because multishot hits like a wet noodle, basicly hunters are pigeonholed into getting SV as an offspec purely for the AoE.

I forsee Serpent Spread being nerfed to compensate, hopefully bringing Hunters AoE in all specs on par.
    Quote Originally Posted by Potboza View Post
    I created a black human male called "Pedopriest" and ran him to SW.
    I started asking where the schools were.
    Someone said "My kids play on this server you creep! How can you live with yourself?"
    I whispered back, "How old are they?"
    Yeah.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Velran View Post
    I've just been on the PTR, and Mind Sear is now also ticking on the target itself (not on friendlies).
    Can confirm this.
    So does this mean it's now going to be a dps loss to channel this to a tank or a dps that's in range ? Since we are losing a tick on the target ?
    Sig by Safhira

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    wtb new devs to replace the ones that burned out in the process of improving the game

Quote Originally Posted by soulyouth View Post
    So does this mean it's now going to be a dps loss to channel this to a tank or a dps that's in range ? Since we are losing a tick on the target ?
    I'd see it more as extra damage for taking a chance and casting it on a mob that could possibly die soon :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

Deleted
    They aren't just buffing mind sear but every aoe, well, every key aoe of every spec (or atleast the ones that need it)

Can confirm this.
    It's only ticking once so its not much of a loss.
    I think it is either a bug (I hope) or a change made to prevent us to channel it on critters or CC'ed targets (Boo, that was the only upside of it not damaging the target itself).

Can confirm this.
    No,the affected targets dont change,only the anchor does.Meaning if you're aoeing 10 mobs,its the same if you target one of them,or target a melee in range.It still affects all 10 targets.

My prediction:
    3) Empowered Shadow (which buffs Mind Sear) will thus be nerfed by 50% via hotfix, bringing Mind Sear back to line
    i started to laugh until i realized that this is actually a very likely scenario... then i died a little on the inside.

really sucky for one aoe spell

Mind Sear as it is now is as bad as the druid's Hurricane. Expensive to use, does really pathetic damage. I think Holy Nova does more aoe damage than Mind Sear, and that's really sad.

It's really easy for Blizz to buff Mind Sear so that it does better aoe depending how many shadow priest dots are on a target, instead of just buffing the damage, then knee-jerking again and nerfing Empowered Shadow.

What's worse is that as Shadow Priests we only have one aoe spell to use in our arsenal. And we don't really want to right now as it is useless. At least a boomie has shrooms and Typhoon (not saying typhoon is fantastic, just that they have more than one option - although Typhoon has a secondary use dazing/pushing back which is useful on adds like those at Magmaw)
    Last edited by Southern; 2011-03-09 at 07:23 AM. Reason: added stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Agroculture View Post
    No,the affected targets dont change,only the anchor does.Meaning if you're aoeing 10 mobs,its the same if you target one of them,or target a melee in range.It still affects all 10 targets.
    Not true since it does not do the same damage on the target as on the surrounding ones (as it ticks faster on them), it does less.
    This might be a bug one way or the other though.

My prediction:
    This. Im not even looking forward for us to get buffed, cause I know blizzard will nerf us within 72 hours again, so yeah.. -_-

Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    Mind Sear as it is now is as bad as the druid's Hurricane. Expensive to use, does really pathetic damage. I think Holy Nova does more aoe damage than Mind Sear, and that's really sad.
    And yeah, Holy nova does do more dmage overall than mindsear. Wich is quite lame since shadowform gives us a 15% increased shadow damage, yet, it's being outdone by a fucking holy spell, GG!
    Last edited by Neliah; 2011-03-09 at 05:49 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Neliah View Post
    And yeah, Holy nova does do more dmage overall than mindsear. Wich is quite lame since shadowform gives us a 15% increased shadow damage, yet, it's being outdone by a fucking holy spell, GG!
    *sigh* Quit casting Mind Sear when you don't have Empowering Shadows and Dark Evangelism up.
    {[( )]}

My prediction:
    The joke here is understood, but Empowered Shadow does not buff Mind Sear. :P (At least, I don't think it does...is Mind Sear considered DoT damage? It doesn't show as DoT ticks on WoL.)
    Last edited by Vook; 2011-03-09 at 09:30 PM.
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm

Deleted
    Anyone else on PTR noticed that mind sear isn't actually doubled? In fact it does exactly the same damage as live for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Aica View Post
    *sigh* Quit casting Mind Sear when you don't have Empowering Shadows and Dark Evangelism up.
    Even then, my mind sear is still beat by holy nova spam (with the glyph)

Quote Originally Posted by Ferin View Post
    Anyone else on PTR noticed that mind sear isn't actually doubled? In fact it does exactly the same damage as live for me.
    Yes, it appears to not be doubled on PTR...very strange.

Quote Originally Posted by Aica View Post
    So you have to pop a cooldown to make your AOE viable? And you have to have a buff up that doesn't have 100% uptime? Sounds viable to me. Those slimes coming to the raid will wait, I'm sure.