[Movie] Why wont Shrek die?

After 4 of the damn movies, only 2 being decent, that ugly green thing is still up there. This time its the stupid Cat that is getting a movie. I mean really, Dreamworks needs to take a idea from Pixar, get the damn Pop References out of their movies and create new stories. Hell, last time Dreamworks took a idea from Pixar, they made How to Train your Dragon, and they made a spectacular movie.

/end rant

I agree, but it makes money, so they will keep on doing it.
    "It's clear this is another bash Apple thread. Such things are not conducive to a good discussion."

WRONG! Those are the BEST discussions!

Shrek dead = losing loads of money and tons of angry fanboys at their backs

So pretty much the same reason why Blizzard doesn't kill off Thrall

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, Shrek was and and will continue to be one of their most popular movie franchises, if not the most popular. I'm predicting that it won't die until How To Train Your Dragon has sufficiently proven itself to be their next big movie. But that's not saying they should jack Pixar's ideas. I for one think most Pixar movies, while good, seem to be a bit TOO child-oriented.

That said, I hope that HTTYD 2 is just as excellent as the first. I'm still bitter the first didn't win Best Animated Feature over Toy Story 3, even though I knew it had no chance.

Because Shrek is Dreamworks flagship movie right now. It's a shame too, because How to Train your Dragon was a great movie.

The Lightbringer eternalwhitemoon's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Luminar View Post
    Well, Shrek was and and will continue to be one of their most popular movie franchises, if not the most popular. I'm predicting that it won't die until How To Train Your Dragon has sufficiently proven itself to be their next big movie. But that's not saying they should jack Pixar's ideas. I for one think most Pixar movies, while good, seem to be a bit TOO child-oriented.

That said, I hope that HTTYD 2 is just as excellent as the first. I'm still bitter the first didn't win Best Animated Feature over Toy Story 3, even though I knew it had no chance.
    Wait...there's a HTTYD 2?! I must see this!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eternalwhitemoon View Post
    Wait...there's a HTTYD 2?! I must see this!
    Yea, even if they didn't confirm it, it's pretty obvious. The first movie was highly successful.

Regardless, they've confirmed a sequel which features Jay Baruchel, Craig Ferguson, America Ferrera, Jonah Hill, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, TJ Miller and Kristen Wiig reprising their roles as Hiccup, Gobber, Astrid, Snotlout, Fishlegs, Tuffnut and Ruffnut, respectively. Gerald Butler, voice of Stoic the Vast (Hiccup's father) has yet to be confirmed, however. It's reported to have a Summer 2012 release date.

The series is at least set to be a trilogy, if not longer, as well. "But in a new interview with The Hollywood Reporter, "Dragon" co-director Dean DeBlois and returning producer Bonnie Arnold have started spilling the beans on the planned sequel. DeBlois, who is currently working on a draft of the sequel's screenplay, reveals that "How to Train Your Dragon 2" would function as at least the second part of a trilogy, if not a longer series of stories." http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2011/02/08...-plot-details/

Considering they have 8 or so books to get material from, even if the movie didn't follow the book at all save names and a few places, they can keep it going for a while.

Deleted
    Pretty much hints that HTTYD will be the new Shrek. I highly doubt they can keep the depth on sequels but at least it is harder to get tired of seeing Toothless!