Poll: Most Difficult Game Genre?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    RTS is hardest, but the hardest games that i know of (single player) Ninja Gaiden 2 // Demon's Souls

Anyone that says anything other than action games (such as God of War) has probably never played the ultimate #$%^block that is Ninja Gaiden 2 on the path of the master ninja difficulty. I seriously tip my hat to anyone that can beat the first test of valor on that difficulty mode.

To put it in perspective, these are my gaming credentials, and how badly I was raped by the path of the mentor, the difficulty below master ninja. I have beaten all 3 God of War games on their highest difficulties. Beat the entire Halo series (except ODST, never played that one) on legendary. Beat gears of war 1 and 2 on insane mode, and that's solo, none of that co-op stuff. Beat CoD modern warafe and modern warfare 2 on the highest difficulty, even did the mile high club on veteran. I've beaten every final fantasy game in the series except 2, 3, and a few spinoffs like tactics advanced. Beat Mass Effect 1 and 2 on insanity. Beat the entire Devil May Cry series on Dante must die mode.I've also finished dozens of other games, including the older Marios and Legend of Zelda games.

When I started NG2 on mentor, I was totally stonewalled on the first test of valor, which happens in the 3rd or 4th mission if I recall. And when I say stonewalled, I mean BITCHSLAPPED INTO PLACE! Over a period of 3 weeks I put in over 3000 attempts on this one fight, only a couple of times did I even get close to the end. This is researching strategies online, watching videos, and just generally doing anything I could to win. I had saved every consumable item I could up to that point, even my lives of the thousand gods, which gave me more healing than would normally be possible. I would play for hours at a time until my hands started to cramp up.

After more attempts than I had ever put in on all wow bosses combined, I had to face the simple truth that I was not good enough to finish this game on the second highest difficulty.
    Last edited by OrcsRLame; 2011-03-18 at 01:00 AM.

Deleted
    I don't think a particular "type" of game is hard, just some games are harder than others. Playing TTFAF on Guitar Hero 3 expert definitely ranks as the hardest thing I've ever attempted game-wise though (can't do it )

Quote Originally Posted by itz3ric View Post
    RTS's like Starcraft, Warcraft, and Civ's.
    I may be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure Civ is a turn based strategy game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Definately nothing from the western hemisphere. From your list it's probably RTS.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chipmunk0518 View Post
    RTS is hardest, but the hardest games that i know of (single player) Ninja Gaiden 2 // Demon's Souls
    I'd really have to disagree with Demon's Souls being hard tbh. I completed it with very little trouble other than when I tried to do the Tower Knight as 2nd boss before I'd geared up at all, and fighting that firey one, flamelurker I think it was called. It's definitely way more difficult than the majority of games around but I never felt stuck for more than 5 or 6 attempts at a boss

To be honest I don't see how you can clasify an RTS as difficult, I've never seen an RTS that's very hard single player, and in multiplayer the difficulty is based on the skill of your opponent.

For example, I highly doubt anyone in this thread could beat Team Final Boss at 4v4 team slayer in Halo, that doesn't mean Halo is the hardest game ever made.

Difficulty has got to be based on something that is not subjective, such as the single player experience.

turn based+RTS Try Any of the recent total war games (Midieval 2 and up) with all setting on hard. If you are not prepared and your not good you will get destroyed.

For anyone that has never seen Ninja Gaiden 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUrMS3JTZHQ

See all those bad guys, they all have attacks that will one shot you. Any attack that can't one shot you is very hard to block/avoid and will usually leave you open/stun you so another attack can finish you off. Attacks come from many angles, many times from off screen, and that is only part 1 of the video, this fight is long as hell and there are no checkpoints.

So basically, it's about 20-30 minutes of constant concentration with insanely fast paced action and bullshit cheap enemies, and a single mistakes is punished with instant death, over and over and over again.

RTS, especially if you ever plan to move up in the ranks, the things you have to study and memorize is intimidating to most everyone. Including me.

Whatever the original Battletoads would be categorized as.

Seriously.

15+ Year Old Account
    MMO's. There are soooo many factors that can effect someones performance.. From lag to a wrong Gem. There's an incredible amount of numbers to crunch and individual reaction time is really tested if you play a difficult class.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    For anyone that has never seen Ninja Gaiden 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUrMS3JTZHQ

See all those bad guys, they all have attacks that will one shot you. Any attack that can't one shot you is very hard to block/avoid and will usually leave you open/stun you so another attack can finish you off. Attacks come from many angles, many times from off screen, and that is only part 1 of the video, this fight is long as hell and there are no checkpoints.

So basically, it's about 20-30 minutes of constant concentration with insanely fast paced action and bullshit cheap enemies, and a single mistakes is punished with instant death, over and over and over again.

If what you say is true that's just straight up 100% batshit retarded. Why would anyone in their right mind even want to do attempt shit like that ? Pointless as hell. If anyone can do that, I seriously applaud them, but the amount of time it must have taken could be MUCH better spent. Everyone likes a challenge but that just seems to be sapping anything form of fun out of gaming.

A little like high-end starcraft games I suppose; insanely skilled players but looks like they've sacrificed alot of fun to get there.

15+ Year Old Account
    That depends. On an individual, "isolated" level, RTS can be quite hard considering things like micromanagement and simultaneous operations on different sides of the map.

MMORPGS, on the other side, at least on the hardcore, competitive level, test your ability to communicate and make others do their best, or make up for their mistakes and not to destroy your brain in the process. For me, it's easier than RTS, because I'm emotionally quite balanced and see the game as a way to have fun and never as a thing to be nervous about.

What's your definition of "difficult"? Difficult to learn? Difficult to play? Difficult to master?

Either way, may I point your way to hard-core, study flight sims?

DCS: Black Shark for instance, or the latest, DCS: A10c Warthog. Take a look on YouTube for examples of just how much time and effort is needed to learn how to play and master these sims.

Quote Originally Posted by Yiest View Post
    If what you say is true that's just straight up 100% batshit retarded. Why would anyone in their right mind even want to do attempt shit like that ? Pointless as hell. If anyone can do that, I seriously applaud them, but the amount of time it must have taken could be MUCH better spent. Everyone likes a challenge but that just seems to be sapping anything form of fun out of gaming.

A little like high-end starcraft games I suppose; insanely skilled players but looks like they've sacrificed alot of fun to get there.
    I assure you, it's true. I have played video games pretty much non-stop every day for the last 13 years, I am the definition of no life, and even I regret the time I wasted trying to beat that one fight, and it's not the hardest fight in the game. 3 Weeks of my life I will never get back. After 3 weeks of trying I raged and sold the game, trying to resist the urge to throw the disc into oncoming traffic.

Deleted
    Turn based, any

Rhythm games are IMO the most difficult naturally speaking. You could crank up the AI on the other games to make them neigh impossible. From the list, I would go with RTS if only for the previous statement.

Quote Originally Posted by mynameisjona View Post
    Mushihimesama. No idea what genre that is categorized as, but that game hands down
    Top down shooter, and id agree. Shit got real.

very few 1st person shooters do i like..sorry but without auto-target im bad.