10+ Year Old Account

First ever full pc build. Need Pro tips!

So the girlfriend and i took a trip up north and I decided to see if there was a microcenter or something similar since in my town we have absolutely nothing. Bingo! Microcenter! I felt like a kid walking into a candy shop lol. I purchased a Aside P8P67 Pro Rev 3 board along with a 2500k. They didnt carry the Noctua so I purchased the Silver arrow hoping tbat it works. Worse thing that happens it doesnt fit and I replace it. No bigge. Also picked up a 64 bit Oem Win 7 for system builders. I am planning on putting all this together with my Antec 902, Corsair 850 TX and my GTX 470. The RAM is my last peice that im getting from newer though. Is it safe to use the RAM that came in my pc that I bought last year just until i can get my shipment from newegg?

So now is the real thing.

What is the first thing to do. Not the obvious. Do I need to do a full back up of my hdd onto my external? This is totally new to me. When I got my HP last year I just moved the stuff to my new case. Cake. But now im.going quite deeper. Any suggestions and tips will take with great appreciation!

Thanks in advance.

What size is your current hard drive, and how much of it is being used?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ayako View Post
    What size is your current hard drive, and how much of it is being used?
    750 total. With about I would say 300 being used. My external is 1 tb though.

I'm not home yet though lol. So I'm remembering off the top of my head.

---------- Post added 2011-03-26 at 08:09 PM ----------

Okay, Im back home. Currently 484/684 is available on my C Drive. D is 1.73/13.8 available.

---------- Post added 2011-03-26 at 09:16 PM ----------

No one?

Something you can consider is backing up the most important, then using a partition resizer to move the stuff you have to the back of the hard drive and reinstall on the front part and gradually move stuff you need to the new installation. When you think you're finally done with doing that you can resize the new partition to use teh entire drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanthem View Post
    750 total. With about I would say 300 being used. My external is 1 tb though.

I'm not home yet though lol. So I'm remembering off the top of my head.

---------- Post added 2011-03-26 at 08:09 PM ----------

Okay, Im back home. Currently 484/684 is available on my C Drive. D is 1.73/13.8 available.

---------- Post added 2011-03-26 at 09:16 PM ----------

No one?

10+ Year Old Account
    After researching a bit, I went ahead and saved all my documents, bookmarks and media. Basically the important stuff. All the applications and games I installed, I will have to get back if my pc boots up. I have to wait on the ram from Newegg. Should be here on Tuesday hopefully. I thought I could use the ram I had from the HP I bought last year, but reading the manual, it wont accept the ram. So now my build has stalled. Everythings in and ready to go, just need to pop in the ram, install the fan and cross my fingers and pray my first build went smoothly. I will be honest, and say that it was not as easy as I thought it would be. I officially hate my case, and I give thumbs up for those with crazy good wire management because with my case, everything is either short or something is sittting in my way

Overall, it was a frustrating time. Hopefully once the ram gets here, I can get back to enjoying my PC.

15+ Year Old Account
    After researching a bit, I went ahead and saved all my documents, bookmarks and media. Basically the important stuff. All the applications and games I installed, I will have to get back if my pc boots up. I have to wait on the ram from Newegg. Should be here on Tuesday hopefully. I thought I could use the ram I had from the HP I bought last year, but reading the manual, it wont accept the ram. So now my build has stalled. Everythings in and ready to go, just need to pop in the ram, install the fan and cross my fingers and pray my first build went smoothly. I will be honest, and say that it was not as easy as I thought it would be. I officially hate my case, and I give thumbs up for those with crazy good wire management because with my case, everything is either short or something is sittting in my way

Overall, it was a frustrating time. Hopefully once the ram gets here, I can get back to enjoying my PC.
    Heh I'm sure I'll be in a similar scenario shortly. I just finished finalizing my order and getting all my parts ordered, with a pretty similar build to yours. I'm also planning on using an external to transfer important info. One question I had though was what all I'd need to transfer from the wow folder to keep all my addons/setting/etc and not have to set it all up again on the new one? I'm not going to use my old hard drive at all once I get the important stuff transfered, as my parents are buying my old computer from me, so yeah I want to make sure I get everything I need off there before I wipe it and give it to them. One other thing I plan on doing is making a word document and putting the name of every program/etc that I know I'm going to want on the new computer, and transferring that to the external, so I can just get it all done at once when I get the new one up and running.

Quote Originally Posted by Nume View Post
    Heh I'm sure I'll be in a similar scenario shortly. I just finished finalizing my order and getting all my parts ordered, with a pretty similar build to yours. I'm also planning on using an external to transfer important info. One question I had though was what all I'd need to transfer from the wow folder to keep all my addons/setting/etc and not have to set it all up again on the new one? I'm not going to use my old hard drive at all once I get the important stuff transfered, as my parents are buying my old computer from me, so yeah I want to make sure I get everything I need off there before I wipe it and give it to them. One other thing I plan on doing is making a word document and putting the name of every program/etc that I know I'm going to want on the new computer, and transferring that to the external, so I can just get it all done at once when I get the new one up and running.
    Just copy the important files on an external.

Ex;

1. Important pictures/files/work
    2. Your Interface & WTF folders
    3. Some cracked stuff (yea, I know...)
    4. Music

etc

I'd add in your user folder as well. It makes copying program settings over much easier, since most of them are stored under it.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

10+ Year Old Account
    I copied my Interface folder. Not sure if you need the WTF folder. I have copied and saved my interface folder plenty of times without the WTF and it worked fine.

You can copy the entire WoW folder then you won't have to reinstall and go through all the downloads and updates when you copy it back.

I copied my Interface folder. Not sure if you need the WTF folder. I have copied and saved my interface folder plenty of times without the WTF and it worked fine.
    WTF is settings, interface is just the addons.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by doompety View Post
    You can copy the entire WoW folder then you won't have to reinstall and go through all the downloads and updates when you copy it back.
    Does that actually work, or does it have other files on your system elsewhere that it uses when it installs? Like if I just copied the whole folder, and tried to run wow, would it work without running any installers or anything?

15+ Year Old Account
    Does that actually work, or does it have other files on your system elsewhere that it uses when it installs? Like if I just copied the whole folder, and tried to run wow, would it work without running any installers or anything?
    It works. WoW uses minimal registry keys, but even they are repaired every time the launcher is run. Simply copy the whole WoW folder, put it on the new/wiped system, run launcher.exe, and everything will be fine.

There are no installation files stored elsewhere for wow. You can freely copy and paste the folder anywhere, anytime.