Waiting for Diablo 3? What to play until Diablo 3 release?

I don't know how about you guys but I love good ARPG games..and of course, can't wait for Diablo 3.. but it's still pretty far... the earliest possible release date is the end of year 2011. So I just browsed through many websites and was looking for some alternatives which should be released before Diablo 3 release. I was pretty surprised that I found so many ARPG projects. So here is a short list and I would love if you can add any another ARPG game which you know about.

Mythos
    This is reboot of old ARPG game made by flagship studio. Open beta starts at 12. April so you can play this pretty soon. Old Mythos was really good game but reboot is made by eastern company so there is a lot of Asian influence right now. This and fact that graphics is very cartoon like, this game wont be for everyone. Still we can play it pretty soon and could be fun. It's free to play game.
    Web, Gameplay, Release trailer

Torchlight 2
    Many people played Torchlight and most people will agree that while Torchlight was decent game, it became repetitive pretty fast. Devs know it so they are trying hard to make Torchlight 2 really great game. They promised overhaul of skill system, they bring back open world and hopefully much more interesting classes. This game should be released sometime in June but they are keeping lot of information under cover. So we will see what it will look like. This game have cartoon graphics so I am not sure how many people will react on it.
    Web,Gameplay, 2010 trailer

Path of exile
    Not many people know about this game but it looks pretty interesting. Open beta should start very soon according words of developers. Art style of this game is opposite of Mythis and Torchlight. They are trying bring back grim atmosphere like Diablo 1 had. For many this is very interesting, and for many graphics seems bland. So it's matter of opinion. Anyway, they have very different skill system. There are only passives in skill trees and we have to find our active skills and we can modify them with something like runes. Seems pretty interesting. So, if you never heard about that, check it out. It will be free to play game.
    web, Walkthrough, Skill system, Trailer

Dungeon Siege 3
    I don't know much about this game yet, but it should be released pretty soon. But I know one thing. It's VERY different from DS1 and DS2. You are not controlling group of heroes, combat is much more flashy and it seems there is a lot of influence from eastern market. But still it looks pretty interesting. So if anyone can write about this game, do it
    Web, Trailer, Class reveal

Grim Dawn
    This game is made by creators of Titan quest and it looks a lot like Titan Quest. Just in different setting. Not much is revealed about this game. They just released 2 videos and present their vision about this game but at least graphics seems to be in very good shape. Really looking forward what they will show us. I really liked Titan quest. Release date is unknown.
    Web, First look, Combat

Drakensang Online
    Another free to play ARPG. But again, we don't know much about this game yet but artstyle is very very close to Diablo 3. Not sure what I can tell more about this, so just check their website and videos
    Web, Trailer, German podcast

So...did I miss something guys? what you like and what you dont?

diablo games are trash. Diablo 3 will be another overpriced and over-hyped piece of blizzards crap.
    <Mod edit: Infracted>
    Last edited by Chelly; 2011-03-30 at 10:34 PM.
    Kenny gona die tonight!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gouky View Post
    diablo games are trash. Diablo 3 will be another overpriced and over-hyped piece of blizzards crap.
    Wow. Ignorant troll alert!

Well, I won't miss on Torchlight and Dungeon Siege 3 (although both titles are badly ripping off all the new stuff that Blizzard has shown so far for Diablo 3).
    <Mod edit: Infracted>
    Last edited by Chelly; 2011-03-30 at 10:35 PM.

I hate to break it to the one poster but the whole ima peese someone off UMADBRO thing is dead. Its dead obvious, youre on a wow forum, slamming blizzard. Noone cares. Gratz lol. Now its like raising your hand and going hey im retarded, yea me, over here.

Quote Originally Posted by Gouky View Post
    This post gave me cancer

Quote Originally Posted by Nexxia View Post
    hey im retarded, yea me, over here.
    :P yay for taking things out of context

And gouky that may be your opinion but it was uncessary

I think it was pretty obvious this thread is for people who like ARPG games... For example I think FPS games are stupid.. but you know, I am not going tell this to all fans of FPS games. Just enjoy what you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonshardz View Post
    Wow. Ignorant troll alert!

Well, I won't miss on Torchlight and Dungeon Siege 3 (although both titles are badly ripping off all the new stuff that Blizzard has shown so far for Diablo 3).
    Shocking, another WoW player who thinks other games always "rip off" Blizzard games...alot of those games have features that were shown before Diablo 3 was even announced.

Quote Originally Posted by xBloodchargedx View Post
    Shocking, another WoW player who thinks other games always "rip off" Blizzard games...alot of those games have features that were shown before Diablo 3 was even announced.
    Specify one thing in particular please. I am a huge Diablo fan, but that doesn't make me ignorant to quality games from the competition. I have played Dungeon Siege 1-2 with the expansions as well as Torchlight with several characters, and let me tell you in what terms is Diablo 3 being ripped of.

First, Torchlight's developers were part of Blizzard North, the original developers of Diablo and Diablo 2. There was a rumor that they were given part of the source code for Diablo 3 as a compensation for their services and their leave from the company - hence, Torchlight. You can't honestly play the game and not acknowledge the "glaring" similarities between the two. Sure, they were the original developers so part of those ideas were in fact, theirs so I'll let this slide (PS: those peeps rock anyways ) Oh, and Diablo 3 was announced WAY before Torchlight was even shown anywhere.

Second, Dungeon Siege as a hack&slash RPG was always considered a "spiritual successor" to Diablo... look up any decent reviewing site and you will spot this easily. The combat, the inventory screen, the dungeons and loads of loot... it all screamed Diablo.

Now don't get me wrong. I am very familiar that Blizzard didn't invent hack&slash RPG's... they simply made one of the most memorable out there. It is great that many developers acknowledge their work and try to compete by creating products that try to add up to that experience. Unfortunately, many seem to take the short-cut by simply copying the innovative parts and implementing them into their own game. Check Dungeon Siege 3 - the classes, the combat system... They have a freaking Demon Hunter chick that can dual wield crossbows. I rest my case.
    Last edited by Dragonshardz; 2011-03-30 at 07:24 PM.

There was a rumor that they were given part of the source code for Diablo 3 as a compensation for their services and their leave from the company
    Umm, no. Blizz wouldn't part with their source code for compensation. Companies don't do stuff like that. They pay out compensation with cash, not proprietary software.

Quote Originally Posted by FatedPrime View Post
    Umm, no. Blizz wouldn't part with their source code for compensation. Companies don't do stuff like that. They pay out compensation with cash, not proprietary software.
    Like I said, a rumor. It was backed up by the visual and gameplay similarities between the two games. I didn't say it was confirmed.

I'm rather interested in Diablo 2.5...I mean Mythos. It looks basically like an MMO clone of Diablo, which is ok in my book.

Just about every top down hack and slash can, and will be compared to Diablo. The formula works, so it's pretty much used. If it wasn't, the game might just fall on its face since just about everyone who enjoys the genre played (and loved, unless you're a weirdo) Diablo for some reason.

Diablo 3 has unique features, I don't think those games "ripped" that particular game off, but obviously the formula is tried-and-true.
    Last edited by Zyzzyx; 2011-03-30 at 07:36 PM.

For some reason this video popped into my head reading the thread title.

I'm glad to have multiple personalities, if i didn't i would be talking to myself, and that's just insane.

Drakensang Online looks pretty fun to go jump around in a bit.

You can't honestly play the game and not acknowledge the "glaring" similarities between the two. Sure, they were the original developers so part of those ideas were in fact, theirs so I'll let this slide (PS: those peeps rock anyways ) Oh, and Diablo 3 was announced WAY before Torchlight was even shown anywhere.
    I can. I don't see conformity to a genre as a "glaring" similarity. I see it for what it is. Tolkien didn't invent fantasy, McDonalds didnt invent hamburgers, same for Blizzard. The rumor is ridiculous. Seems like a strain to try to back it up by pointing to the games. They aren't unnaturally similar, especially given the people involved.

I wouldn't call DS1 a spiritual successor to Diablo. It stood on its own legs with its own innovations so well. But Chris Taylor's early work was amazing. I don't dig his games anymore, probably going to skip DS3. Torchlight 2, on the other hand, I'm sure I'll buy day 1. Same for D3. Difference is, I think with D3 I will drop off the face of the earth.