Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Opinions on Coporal Punishment

After reading this thread http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...or-this/page10 and seeing some of the comments made about the OP it made me interested in general opinions and experiences. The subject in question (if you are to lazy to click the link) is Corporal Punishment (Any discelpin that involves hitting the person).

Do you believe in it? And if so why? Or why not? Did you experience it growing up and has it effected you today?

Personaly yes, i experienced it. And yes I would beat the shit out of my kid if he/she hit me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Between the third and fourth circle of hell
    I had my ass beaten a bunch as a kid. You know what? I stopped doing the shit that got me a whoopin. I am now an IT pro making ~$75k a year at age 25. I don't think spankings ruin children, sorry.

As far as what the poster had done, when I still lived with my parents, we had a sit down discussion about the importance of focus in a competitive environment, and the scheduled times I need to be left alone. We worked it out so that all that I needed to do was done by the time my matches (1v1 deathmatch in UT2004 through CAL at the time) I could go into do-not-disturb mode and it was a non issue.

Desktop: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition @ 3.8GHz, 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600, Dual Nvidia GTX 470 SLI
    Laptop: 2.2GHz Core i7, 8GB DDR3 1333, 2GB Radeon HD 6990

Quote Originally Posted by bumrush View Post
    I had my ass beaten a bunch as a kid. You know what? I stopped doing the shit that got me a whoopin.
    As a smart kid, I learned really quickly that getting a knock on the head was bad, so I stopped doing things that earned those. Likewise, I would tend to do things that got me praise and rewards. Funny how that works out.

I wonder if there is a field of study that is concerned with how people respond to incentives..... OH YEAH ECONOMICS*

OT: I don't see a problem for it, but of course, there are good uses of it and bad uses. It depends on each person, and since most people can hardly be trusted with a sharp pencil, I'd say most should also avoid trying to find the happy medium with corporal punishment.

In terms of the death penalty, I say we go back to hangings, guillotine, or firing squads instead of keeping inmates alive in Chateau de Federal Prison.

Flame-cular Warhead Launch Detected....

* = For clarification's sake, that includes all the psychological and sociological aspects of interactions with people. I don't mean zomgcashruleseverythingaroundme, but I can see the fierce flames coming like a freight train.
    Last edited by drake741; 2011-04-26 at 09:34 PM. Reason: clarify
    "I feel bad for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." - Frank Sinatra

Everything in moderation - but id say u should try not to do it...

Is corporal punishment legal to talk about inhere - what laws are we following inhere? American, French, English?

Btw, if we follow danish law beastiality is legal ^_^ true story

Fear will keep the local children in line. Fear of this yard stick.

Nope, I dont believe in it. My house has always been somewhat anarchistic - as long as what your doing isnt harming anyone, its fine. I grew up like this, and so did my brother. We both turned out fine.

Hitting people only reaffirms the value that violence is an acceptable way to deal with problems. Newsflash. It isnt, at least not in modern society.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkdruidelf View Post
    Nope, I dont believe in it. My house has always been somewhat anarchistic - as long as what your doing isnt harming anyone, its fine. I grew up like this, and so did my brother. We both turned out fine.

Hitting people only reaffirms the value that violence is an acceptable way to deal with problems. Newsflash. It isnt, at least not in modern society.
    But dont you think todays teenagers are rude, disrespectful and alot of the times, completely out of line? I'm not old, only 20, but I went to a British school where Mr, Mrs and Miss were the only thing acceptable. (This is in a country where kids call their teachers by their first names.) The news keept having stories of children running riot in schools, hitting teachers ext. I dident really believe it until i actually saw it first hand.
    Now all i can say is that im happy for my upbringing and the school i attended!

Deleted
    A regular beating builds character.

Seriously though, I don't really favor physical punishment on kids, except for symbolic tap on the back of the head or something.
    Last edited by mmoc43ae88f2b9; 2011-04-26 at 10:57 PM.

I was spanked, and I'd like to think that I've turned out to (thus far) be a fairly respectful and not-exactly-brattish teenager. Kids learn quickly when they're punished like that. I'm not saying it's the only solution because the other part of the problem is that parents just don't do punishments at all from what I've seen. Even now, if I get grounded and have something taken away, I get off within the week, no matter what I did wrong. All of my friends say it's pretty much the same. Parents are just being too soft in general, and kids are turning into greedy, disrespectful jerks, including a lot of my own generation.

Corporal Punishment is a pretty ok guy. General Malaise is more fun to hang around with, though, same with Major Babe. Major Bummer is kind of a drag, though.

And I don't think this should be about capital punishment, so please try not to get on that subject, it'll just get the thread closed.
    Last edited by v2prwsmb45yhuq3wj23vpjk; 2011-04-26 at 09:53 PM.

It's a bit hard to say due to the..nature of doing studies on this sort of thing. Various studies have been done showing that children who are spanked end up acting out far more than those who are not. Again, it's hard to say, but I tend to agree. I think if you properly raise someone with encouragement and "good" punishments, the children will have higher self esteem, more eagerness to please, and better behavior than those who are just spanked.

People who say spanking worked for them would probably have avoided the bad actions that got them spanked altogether if they had been given more support rather than just physical punishment.

http://articles.cnn.com/2009-09-16/h...t?_s=PM:HEALTH

That's one of many, figure I'd at least link the general idea.

Also, according to this link, fox news reported on story saying spanking might be good for kids. From that source alone it should be taken as proof that spanking is not in fact good for anyone.

http://www.thenewamerican.com/index....-good-for-kids

It's easy to correlate discipline with behavior, but it's outright lazy to blame the entire modern condition on a reduction in corporal punishment. When you look at all the other ways that childrens' lives differ from their counterparts several generations ago, there are endless other factors that are just as likely to contribute to these behavioral problems.

Whether we smack these kids or not, the real issue is that we're failing to engage them in a dialogue about compassion and responsibility. When you look at the sad job we've done of running the world, can you blame them for not taking our authority seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkdruidelf View Post
    Depends on the situation; On the international scene, when economic sanctions are imposed what have they accomplished? Generally, nothing. The sanctioned country simply continues the actions for which the sanctions were imposed. Violence, when properly applied, is often the answer if true change is to occur.

And yes, I do agree with corporal punishment.

I believe that Corpral Punishment in moderation should be allowed. In Sweden it is not allowed and it has somewhat affected the students of young age. I am 20 years old and consider myself a smart person, smarter than most of my friends. Despite having a very good memory I don't remember getting punished physically especially much by my parents. I remembers some times that I got punished and I learned from them very quickly and I did not repeat my mistake. However there wasn't only corpral punishment, ofcourse it was combined with a oral explanation of what I did wrong and why this was wrong.

However in school up to High School I noticed that some people, maybe 20% of my class for about those 10 years were not raised in a similar way and they did not quite learn what was right and wrong and they did ESPECIALLY not learn how to respect other people. If they were bored in class they made noise and disturbed the class in general. They came late for class and interrupted the teacher in his pedagocic which set back the class about 2 minutes of re saying what he recently said per each student that was late with 1 minute of time between entering the room. Also the teachers sometimes threatened these people that if they did not focus they would throw them out. And some of these kids than said something along the lines of "You can't hit me or I will sue you". Because teachers no longer are allowed to roughly(in other words moderately hit a student) punish a student for disobeying. And in every case this is the parent fault. Either because of wimpy upbringing or because they just handed the kids to daycares or similar because they did not have time for them.

Atleast that's my opinion. I don't glorify physical punishment. But it should be allowed in moderation. Otherwise kids will lose respect of their parents and teachers. Also, on a sidenote. My brother that is three years younger than me and rather stupid and disrespecful. And he also prejudice people quickly. So despite having somewhat similar upbringing(He got more attention and got toys that he pointed at easier than me, because he craved them and had no limits for craving. I already knew at young age that I couldn't get every toy I wanted, he did not.) two people can turn out completely different because of their personalities.

Edit: Also. Encouragment should be given out atleast as often as punishment, hopefully more often than punishment. If not the opposite is necessary. But essentially encouragment gives more hormonal pleasurement than punishment does. However punishment isn't worse than encouragment if handled correctly. If you just hit a kid as quick as he/she is doing something wrong without telling him/her why that is wrong and why they should not do it again it will result in that person getting scarred for life. Encouragment works the same, if you tell the kid why their action(s) were desired they will learn more effeciant.
    Last edited by Pappahealar; 2011-04-26 at 10:16 PM.
    Armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ealar/advanced

Raid Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/pappahealar

Guild Website: http://www.excesse-guild.net/ (Dismissed and seized raiding early 2011, March.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Spare the rod, spoil the child

Any physical punishment that doesnt severly hurt the child is a-ok in my book. im not saying take a wrnch to your kids skull, but the spank is very effective. also, any punishment with a closed fist is never good, only discipline with an open hand.

If you properly discipline your child, you will definitely see improvement and prevent your child from being a spoiled annoying brat.

If it's performed consistently when the child knows exactly what he did wrong it's certainly a valid method to teach a child how to behave. However if it's inconsistent and not always clear why it was happening then it can seriously screw up a kid (because it gives them a distorted sense of right and wrong). Other methods of teaching behavior are often just as, if not more, effective and don't carry quite the same risk if they aren't done properly.

So while I'm not heavily opposed to corporal punishment, the fact is a majority of the time there is a better way to teach behavior.
    Roleplaying, hardcore Raiding, running LFR on the occasional weekend, PvPing, rolling alts, achievement hunting, pet battling, or just enacting an endless series of whims, I don't care how you play WoW. Just as long as you have fun doing it.

I support it.

Beating a child is like beating a dog, all it does it teach them to fear being beat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Beating a child is like beating a dog, all it does it teach them to fear being beat.
    exactly, that's the point. if they fear being beat, and they know that disobeying their parents will get them beat, then they will fear disobeying their parents. eventually, the kid will base his morals off this and know that disobeying their parents is wrong as he/she matures

Quote Originally Posted by Carmakazie View Post
    exactly, that's the point. if they fear being beat, and they know that disobeying their parents will get them beat, then they will fear disobeying their parents. eventually, the kid will base his morals off this and know that disobeying their parents is wrong as he/she matures
    Yeah and if you need to make your child fear you in order to behave you've already dropped the ball as a parent.

It removes the punishment from what they did and attaches it to the consequences instead. They don't steal because its wrong, they don't steal because otherwise they get hit. Its a shitty way to raise a kid morally, and its been shown to be a shitty way to raise a kid practically.