Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Sony in trouble again?

http://maintenance.station.sony.com/

It seems that sony's problems are still not over. SOE has been offline all day so far.

"We have had to take the SOE service down temporarily. In the course of our investigation into the intrusion into our systems we have discovered an issue that warrants enough concern for us to take the service down effective immediately. We will provide an update later today (Monday)."

Quote Originally Posted by Eightace View Post
    http://maintenance.station.sony.com/

It seems that sony's problems are still not over. SOE has been offline all day so far.

"We have had to take the SOE service down temporarily. In the course of our investigation into the intrusion into our systems we have discovered an issue that warrants enough concern for us to take the service down effective immediately. We will provide an update later today (Monday)."
    Yeah I noticed that as well, shit timing for my subscription to run out so can't do anything until it's back
    Hopefully it's not down for weeks.

Edit: And it's not just account management that is down, it's also every single SOE game website, like everquest.com, everquest2.com, dcuniverseonline.com, etc. and login-servers, and I can confirm that game servers are also down.
    Last edited by Ighox; 2011-05-02 at 12:05 PM.

Deleted
    I was going to test the DCUO trial, i was tempted to buy it. Thanks for making my mind up for me Sony.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eightace View Post
    I was going to test the DCUO trial, i was tempted to buy it. Thanks for making my mind up for me Sony.
    I actually have DCUO, and now I can't play it all day because of this.
    I won't unsub immediately yet of course, but if they don't fix their security issues soon they will definitely lose a customer...

Deleted
    Multi billion dollar corporation and they have terrible security. Where is their money going?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultraspank View Post
    Multi billion dollar corporation and they have terrible security. Where is their money going?
    Well they did get sued becos their Blueray player system where close to another companys one PS3 wasent allowed to be shipped into europe in a week for that guess it went there

Deleted
    Possibly 10 million creditcard dataz have been stolen. Nice one Sony.

Apparently they were using an old version of Apache, and known bugs of that version had been (ab)used to gain the data.

Deleted
    Where is their money going?
    Let me enlighten you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hybr1d View Post
    Possibly 10 million creditcard dataz have been stolen. Nice one Sony.

Apparently they were using an old version of Apache, and known bugs of that version had been (ab)used to gain the data.
    My posts apparently always go on deaf ears if everyone still believes in rumors.

If you had any idea of SoE's security, then please enlighten us.

Sony Online Entertainment is a different branch of Sony, and their database and service are not tied to that of SCEA (Sony Computer Entertainment America).

In all honesty, I don't give a shit about what company is what. If they did a good job, good, if they didn't, then no. I however get annoyed about misinformation and rumor speculations.

We have had to take the SOE service down temporarily. In the course of our investigation into the intrusion into our systems we have discovered an issue that warrants enough concern for us to take the service down effective immediately. We will provide an update later today (Monday).
    Whether that is from the ongoing investigation from Sony's PSN incident, or a completely separate one, we do not know. I do know that Sony has been doing security analysis for ALL their departments. If they found something, then yes, I would see them taking it down to fix it.

If this is a separate hack attempt. The hacker needs a life. If all he / she / they / it wants to do is attack Sony, then they're just a cyber-terrorist in my book.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2011-05-02 at 12:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Managers "we do more with less, see the numbers proof it gimme my bonus", lawyers "we'll sue anyone bothering you, even it's the whole world"
    “My philosophy is: It’s none of my business what people say of me and think of me. I am what I am and I do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. And it makes life so much easier.
    ― Anthony Hopkins

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    If this is a separate hack attempt. The hacker needs a life. If all he / she / they / it wants to do is attack Sony, then they're just a cyber-terrorist in my book.
    I think he needs a medal instead, seriously, making PSN have like a week downtime, making every SOE PC service have downtime now, and possibly compromising 80 million accounts.
    Quite a sick achievement to be honest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ighox View Post
    I think he needs a medal instead, seriously, making PSN have like a week downtime, making every SOE PC service have downtime now, and possibly compromising 80 million accounts.
    I really wish you don't think that way, but there always will be people like this. Giving a medal to someone doing something illegal is just sad. A medal for causing inconvenience and messing with the economy is NOT something to be rewarded for. Our (SOE is stationed in the US) economy is as bad as it is. What do you think happens to vendors that has PS3s but unable to sell them because of public paranoia. What do you think happens to the companies that develop to Sony? I guess unemployment is a fun thing for people.

Please think more beyond the scope of retarded console wars, don't need more of those.

Deleted
    A medal? He deserves broken legs more like. Causing so much trouble and anarchy is not something to be proud of.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well have to say, you don't think if it took you a week to disclose info about the PSN hack the hackers know Sony isn't really reactive and a few steps behind, I believe if you know your PSN network got hacked maybe just maybe they would assume due to how companies function and save money there the same poor information storage is being done on other branches of the company.

Why wait till you think there's a breach to look into security of your other sister network.

Believe it or not, all this is actually good news in the long run yes you're now boned and identity theft is one of the most frustrating experiences one can have to endure but in the future companies will be much more careful with customer information storage as it is such a hot topic, people are concerned about it and todays companies that offer services pretty much depend on having a good public relation.
    “My philosophy is: It’s none of my business what people say of me and think of me. I am what I am and I do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. And it makes life so much easier.
    ― Anthony Hopkins

I really wish you don't think that way, but there always will be people like this. Giving a medal to someone doing something illegal is just sad. A medal for causing inconvenience and messing with the economy is NOT something to be rewarded for. Our (SOE is stationed in the US) economy is as bad as it is. What do you think happens to vendors that has PS3s but unable to sell them because of public paranoia. What do you think happens to the companies that develop to Sony? I guess unemployment is a fun thing for people.

Please think more beyond the scope of retarded console wars, don't need more of those.
    I didn't mean to seriously give him a medal, but it's not like it's all the hackers fault, I'd put most of the blame on SOE.
    SOE fucked up and the consequences are public paranoia and that's their fault so they'll deserve to deal with it.
    (I also couldn't care less about console wars.)

Deleted
    I didn't mean to seriously give him a medal, but it's not like it's all the hackers fault, I'd put most of the blame on SOE.
    SOE fucked up and the consequences are public paranoia and that's their fault so they'll deserve to deal with it.
    You praised him, people that screw with others enjoyment do not deserve praise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why is it everyone places blames on the company? They (SoE) hasn't even told us what the down time is for, at least wait for an update.

To quote again the notice with added BOLDNESS!
    We have had to take the SOE service down temporarily. In the course of our investigation into the intrusion into our systems we have discovered an issue that warrants enough concern for us to take the service down effective immediately. We will provide an update later today (Monday).
    In the course, as in, it has been going. The investigation is why I said this may be Sony's security analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia
    Whether that is from the ongoing investigation from Sony's PSN incident, or a completely separate one, we do not know. I do know that Sony has been doing security analysis for ALL their departments. If they found something, then yes, I would see them taking it down to fix it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blind faith in big companies is just as criminal as the information theft to customer security.

Where there's smoke there's fire.
    ― Anthony Hopkins

Why is it everyone places blames on the company?
    Because they have a responsibility to have good security and they left the key in the door.
    They fucked up, just like Trion did with Rift not properly encrypting logins or whatever it was.
    No idea how you can claim that you can't blame the company when they let 70 million PSN accounts get compromised.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Blind faith in big companies is just as criminal as the information theft to customer security.

Where there's smoke there's fire.
    Tire smoke begs to differ. Also so does my barbecue.

Edit: Also smoke houses... bacon producers... you know, stuff like that.

As I said, I don't blindly follow, if they've done a good job, then yes, if not then obviously not. If its all speculation and rumors, I don't give a damn about those.

---------- Post added 2011-05-02 at 06:02 AM ----------

Because they have a responsibility to have good security and they left the key in the door.
    They fucked up, just like Trion did with Rift not properly encrypting logins or whatever it was.
    No idea how you can claim that you can't blame the company when they let 70 million PSN accounts get compromised.
    That wasn't an encryption of login, that was a work around through their login system, where they weren't needing to input a password in order to log in.