Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    See? All 'epicness' is gone, as only you move to actual gameplay.

Also:
    Save the hamlet from pirates
    Pirates remaining: 8
    Fires still burning: 17

I remember someone was ripping apart his shirt stating that there are no quests (at all)? Funny how they have this 'Kill X quest' up into their face.
    Please do a little research before talking about things you don't know about. Those aren't hard numbers. They change with the amount of people in the event. This particular event is not a quest for a couple reasons:

1) you never have to talk to an npc to do it
    2) you don't personally have to kill ALL the pirates to get a full reward
    3) you are not required to do this event, or any event

Also there are quest-like things in the game. It's called your personal story. But it only resembles quests in that you talk to people. It's a story. In a movie people talk to each other, and in the personal story you talk to people.

It's perfectly fine to dislike the game if it's not your thing, but quit trolling. Why are you here if you think it's so dumb?
    Last edited by Talaaya; 2011-05-04 at 08:03 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    See? All 'epicness' is gone, as only you move to actual gameplay.

Also:

I remember someone was ripping apart his shirt stating that there are no quests (at all)? Funny how they have this 'Kill X quest' up into their face.
    "Epicness" is gone? Compare it to WoW.

The only thing that you lose going from the Skill demos on the websites and Average Joe playing at PAX is the special cameras. It's still the same damn thing.

As for the "quest." They didn't run up to a guy with an exclamation mark over his head to initiate it, he just fucking ran in on a pirate raid on a hamlet. Using the counter as an argument point is bullshit. Just because they have something keeping track of your progress and objectives, that doesn't mean it's a quest.

Seriously, shut your face and get out of this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

Deleted
    The amount of actual gameplay is laughable comparing to prerendered CGI scenes. Makes one think why company is so reluctant to actually present their product. Possibly it's related to lack of monthly fee?
    Is this another one of your troll-and-run posts? Because those are getting tiring.

Right now I'm wracking my brain trying to remember a single bit of CGI pre-rendered footage. I don't think I've seen any, actually, all we've gotten so far is concept art (piles of it) and in-game footage (again, piles of it, just check Blznsmri's post. Perhaps you're mixing things up with the all-CGI Cataclysm trailer?

P.S. Also, the frame which shew characters wearing $$-store outfits (without comment) was great.
    It is, because costumes don't affect gameplay in any way. I'm sorry you don't have disposable income to waste on silly things like pretty pixel clothes. I've bought almost all of them and thought they were well worth the money, and at the same time I was supporting a company I think is doing pretty great work.

Also:
    Can you please show me where did you see a mob counter, because i know for sure that you lie. ArenaNet said that there won't be counters for mobs because content scales and it would be ridiculous to have 4/16 and then 4/20. Instead of that they have a morale bar that you fill by killing mobs.

Btw, there are ingame videos with much better quality. Here's a 54 minute one. Awesome quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoICk5E9X7g
    Last edited by Verterdegete; 2011-05-04 at 10:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Verterdegete View Post
    Can you please show me where did you see a mob counter, because i know for sure that you lie.
    Last video.
    Quote Originally Posted by midwintersong View Post
    Perhaps you're mixing things up with the all-CGI Cataclysm trailer?
    It was clearly scripted, not real-time and created with higher detail/postprocessing level that is in real game engine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    They didn't run up to a guy with an exclamation mark over his head to initiate it, he just fucking ran in on a pirate raid on a hamlet... Just because they have something keeping track of your progress and objectives, that doesn't mean it's a quest.
    It is the quest. How the presence or absence ?-mark makes any difference?
    Quote Originally Posted by Talaaya View Post
    This particular event is not a quest for a couple reasons:
    1) you never have to talk to an npc to do it
    2) you don't personally have to kill ALL the pirates to get a full reward
    3) you are not required to do this event, or any event.
    As you're not required to do any other quest. And in most frequent situation, it's you who have personally kill X pirates, and not one less. Or will I get half of reward if I kill only 4 and go away?

I cannot stand when people posting excited sheets of text, claiming that the black is white, misleading other people.

Tackhisis please leave, your ungrounded claims have been proven wrong multiple times, no matter how dense you act your arguments are still invalid.

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Guys don't dignify him with responses.
    This. Let him wallow in his ignorance.

I tell you, how some people can't see what's right in front of their eyes...

Quote Originally Posted by Zoeii View Post
    ...your ungrounded claims have been proven wrong multiple times
    Like by this one-post wonder who claims I lie about feature clearly visible in video?

If only you post facts instead of hype, and do not state things like (quest - "exclamation mark") != quest...

10+ Year Old Account
    Like by this one-post wonder who claims I lie about feature clearly visible in video?

If only you post facts instead of hype, and do not state things like (quest - "exclamation mark") != quest...
    The game (outside of personal story, which we don't really know all that much about) won't have the stereotypical
    "Run to NPC X - kill/Loot/collect - run to npc x again - claim reward quests.
    Naming the guild wars dynamic events quests is like naming rifts in rift quests, they are basically the same thing, except guild wars DE's have more variety to them. If you want to call them quests, sure, why not. I'ld still rather kill mobs that are actively trying to overtake a city than "very dangerous mobs" standing still in a field, making no effort at all to kill you, unless you attack them.

Also, the videos you were referring to are not pre-rendered CGI as stated before. Of course they show the most beautiful parts of the game/animations, but they all use the in-game engine.

Last video.
    It was clearly scripted, not real-time and created with higher detail/postprocessing level that is in real game engine.
    It is the quest. How the presence or absence ?-mark makes any difference?
    As you're not required to do any other quest. And in most frequent situation, it's you who have personally kill X pirates, and not one less. Or will I get half of reward if I kill only 4 and go away?

I cannot stand when people posting excited sheets of text, claiming that the black is white, misleading other people.
    Let's go by arguments, What's wrong with the counters? They're an interface element.
    Does this guy actually play an MMORPG?
    What's wrong with quests, dude? I mean cataclysm had a bunch of rehashed quest zones and that was effing great. (And by effing great I mean Stonetalon was awesome ) What makes the game is not just the content. There's also the community, the mechanics and so fourth.
    It's your personal preference, but if you aint gonna make a constructive post of what's wrong with it, just dont post at all.

Ontopic : What I like about this game is mostly the art/interface work.(from the vids). They should reveal some content to show us how storylines are gonna fit in with the game. I also think that not having quests is sortof dull. ON that quest thing : How far does the 'personal storyline' expand? Does it cover every event or does it only cover the road that gets you to 80 and from then on says 'screw you' and leaves you to do whatever you please or does it cover every major unfortunate event that gets involved in the story?

What will happen if the player who started the event went away immidiately? Will it reset?

What will happen if the player who started the event went away immidiately? Will it reset?
    Players don't start events, they happen even if people aren't there. You can join or leave an event at any point and will be rewarded based on your participation. So, nothing like quests.

it will continue on with no one helping.

Most events have a win and lose scenario. I believe the event will scale to the lowest-possible factor and if the NPCs involved can't handle it, or nobody else shows up to finish the event, the event will fail. This is pure speculation, though. I'm not sure if there's been an official statement on this.

Regardless, most world-changing events aren't "started" by a player. There are a few events we've seen, such as the Charr arena, that require direct player input, but for the most part, if that village is being attacked, that village is being attacked.

Deleted
    As far as I understand it, if a player stops participating in an event, it'll continue on as it would have had someone not interfered in it at all. The centaurs overrun the village, the pirates pillage and plunder, the trolls gain dominion of the outpost, etc. This will remain this way until players intervene again. This info is pretty easy to find, here let me help you, although I doubt you'll bother. Lurkers who are interested could also click

Now for some WorldvsWorld news, Anet did a short but informative interview with one of the smaller fansites here. Choice quotes:

John Corpening: There will be four maps at launch. We will be pitting three different worlds together in WvW. Each world will have a home map that connects to a center map. Teams can invade their opponents’ home maps by first going through the center map. So we expect the center map to be a crossroads of combat as each team does battle for the glory of their world.
    Egan Hirvela: Players will start off in their own home maps. Here, they will be able to take control of vital locations and get a feel for how our capture system works. Once they travel to the center map, each team begins at their own portal keep. From here they can move out and fight for control of various landmarks while battling players from other teams. We anticipate the battles to cross back and forth between the center map and the outlying home maps as teams gain and lose footholds.
    Eric: The Marketplace will be global, drawing data from all servers.

Deleted
    Players don't need to be there for an event to start, the events are "dynamic" and start without player input inst almost all cases, there are a select few evetns that won't start without player(s) been there. You don't have to be there when an event begins or finishs, you can come and go as you please, that's the whole point of the system, even if your late to the start/have to leave early you still get rewarded.

You are inconsistent: first you say events do not start without players, then that players do not start events. First you say events has no duration, then they run its course without players.
    How about to write the truth for a change?

---------- Post added 2011-05-04 at 01:09 PM ----------

OK, and how many hours the event will run if it was started unattended? 1? 2? 24?

Deleted
    Until the NPC's defeat the event or fail at it. There is no numbers of hours it would take if it was unattended.

10+ Year Old Account
    You are inconsistent: first you say events do not start without players, then that players do not start events. First you say events has no duration, then they run its course without players.

OK, and how many hours the event will run if it was started unattended? 1? 2? 24?
    Some events will start when a player talks to an npc (the example of the charr arena was given, in which you fight groups of mobs in a roman arena style battle.)
    other events (pirates taking over a city) start by themselves, so without player activation.

There is no fixed times on events, for example, the charr arena might take 10 minutes, while a city can be overrun by pirates in 5, or in an hour. If you "lose" an event like the pirate event, the city npc's will flee and no longer be available until you free the city from the pirates. In addition, when the pirates own the city, they can make it their base of action to attack another city. Events can scale in big event chains (Afaik, there are over 1000 chains in the game already at this point, correct me if I'm wrong) so you can have a completely different experience the next time you are in the same area.

Let's give you an example.

No players are currently at this small village at which an event has just started. A small group of bandits are currently attacking this village, and setting fire to things. The objective of that particular event would be to kill said bandits and put out the fires. If just one person comes along to do those objectives, then (for arguments sake) there will be 5 bandits and 10 fires. Now, if 1 more person comes alone, there will now be 7 bandits and 12 fires.

Now, if nobody comes along to help this poor village out, then the bandits will eventually destroy/capture it. I'm not sure on how long that takes, as I've not seen any real figures for it. Let's say it takes 20 minutes for them to defeat this village. Once that has happend, a new event will start up which perhaps involves stopping the bandits from them attacking and taking over another village. If you were to succeed on stopping this second attack (read: second event), then you would then get another event open up which would allow you the chance to take back the previously captured village.