327. This poll is closed

122 37.31%

205 62.69%

Thread: 6÷2(1+2)=?

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by implicationmmo View Post
    His maths is correct, sorry!

The equation can be rewritten without changing the result as : (6/2)*(2+1).

Reason: multiplication as the same order as devision, hence when you have multiplication and divisions, you read from left to right
    yea, sort of thought abit over it, and well, the issue is with correct use of parenthesis tbh as 6/(2(1+2))=1 and (6/2)(1+2)= 9, so in fact, both 1 and 9 is correct, depending on how you read the equation, and seeing as this guy got the answare 9, I assume he read it as method 2, hence it beeing correct
    Though, this equation has infact 2 correct answares, due to it's lack of parenthesis to better explain the real setup

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account

Parenthesis first and then left to right.

The people coming up with a different answer are either doing the equation in the wrong order and/or twisting the equation to suit their needs. Regardless of how it's written (and it should be written cleaner) there the answer will always be 9. It should be written (6/2)(1+3) but regardless of the poor form in which it's written... the answer is still 9.

The answer is 9 if you dont belive me go to wolframalpha.com and type in '6÷2(1+2)'. Its basic math so im amazed how many people got it wrong.

There was another thread like this. Someone did it on 2 TI calculators (84 and 89 I think) and got 2 different answers. Adapting it to this problem, 1 Calculator (TI84 i think) did the 6/2(3) before 6/2(3) and the answer was 1. The TI89, even thought he typed it without a *, made it 6/2*(3), and the answer was 9.

I don't know which is correct. It's obvious that the newer calculator added the * to avoid confusion in this very issue, and does not even let you type the problem without the *. I don't know that it proves anything, however.
    Last edited by Cope; 2011-05-06 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by matiastiago View Post
    6:2(1+2)
    6:2*(1+2)
    6:2*3 6:2*3
    3*3 6:6

thats where you made a mistake yound man!
    you multiplay first, then divide!
    "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsSC2vx7zFQ

jesus christ it is 1.i am astounished how many people actually said 9.I guess a lotta people skipped 4 th grade

appearantly %35+ of the peeps livin with a piece of crap between their ears... /facedesk

Deleted
    35% of the people ITT are really dumb, aren't they?
    How can you possibly get 1 from this?
    I haven't even done any courses in high school maths, and still qwarbasdewrdasdqwrfacxa

Please have a look at my signature.

6/2 = 3
    1+2 = 3
    3(3) = 3*3 = 9

Someone already posted the correct explanation.
    2(1+2) is a number on itself. No need to think about if Div or Mult come first (in case you're wondering, it's whatever comes first).

Calculators and shit like that need more clear syntax for it to work properly: 6/(2(2+1))
    But throw it in any programming language and it'll return a 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Except you are wrong.

The 2 is PART of the parenthesis.

You are reaading it as

6÷2*(1+2)=?

when in fact it is

6÷(2*(1+2))=?
    No it's not. There's no parenthesis around the 2, so why are you adding one?

10+ Year Old Account
    6 / 2 x (1+2) -> parenthesis first
    6 / 2 x 3 -> because multiply and devide are equal when used alone (i.e. no adding or subtracting present), then they are used in the order in which they stand, so...
    6 / 2 = 3 -> 3 x 3 = 9 OR (6 / 2) x 3 = 9 if you like.
    Last edited by Vayshan; 2011-05-06 at 12:45 PM. Reason: typo

It's not that hard...it's roughly 10, that's close enough either way.
    Samin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashrana View Post
    So, what would be your reaction, if you found out, that come cata release first patch, blizzard were planning to kill everyone by sending a bear through the mail?

Deleted
    I'm not even going to reply anything relevant to the question since it apparently has taken people 10 pages to argue about it. This is why we can't have nice things.

If you know the basics of any equation the answer will be provided to you by default.

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Except you are wrong.

The 2 is PART of the parenthesis.

You are reaading it as

6÷2*(1+2)=?

when in fact it is

6÷(2*(1+2))=?
    Anything outside the parenthesis is by default not part of the parenthesis.

Quote Originally Posted by Catanowplx View Post

thats where you made a mistake yound man!
    you multiplay first, then divide!
    And that's where you made a mistake "yound" man! You "multiplay" and divide at the same rank.

i swear to god some people here never passed 6th grade maths.... its 9

Quote Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
    wow,im impressed that atleast one person knew that it's 9,not 1
    Fail <3
    Dono how people can fail on this simpelest math

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MestHoop View Post
    Someone already posted the correct explanation.
    2(1+2) is a number on itself. No need to think about if Div or Mult come first (in case you're wondering, it's whatever comes first).

Calculators and shit like that need more clear syntax for it to work properly: 6/(2(2+1))
    But throw it in any programming language and it'll return a 1.
    6÷2*(1+2)=?
    6÷2*(3)=?
    6÷6
    =1

Quote Originally Posted by Omegasupreme View Post
    you ALWAYS do parenthesis first... so its 6/6 not 3*3
    Well only thing is that the 2 isn't part of the paranthesis....
    Also doesn't ppl learn in school that 2(x+y) = 2*(x+y)? You can't just magically turn it into (2*(x+y))
    This thread is not stupid in any way cuz of the nonexisting "*" or paranthesis around 6/2. It's the way math works lol!