Page 1 of 2
LastLast

4.1 Zul'Aman Bear Run Video Guide!

Hello! This is the first guide I have made. With the reintroduction to Zul'Aman and the Bear Run I felt it was a fun idea to create this video guide. I would very much appreciate criticism or comments!

A little info on this video

1) Travel time is sped up.
    2) Combat is in real time!
    3) Flasks and Potions are not used. To get faster results use these!
    4) Captions and tips are inserted throughout the video.
    5) This is not our fastest kill (7 mins left). It is perhaps our slowest kill so far (3 mins left)!
    6) We are in full raid gear. Only partially 372. I have come to the conclusion that you can complete this in full Troll 353 gear very comfortably with the use of Lust, Pots, and Flasks.

Since 4.1 released our guild has attained about 15-18 Bears. We did not use the mass rez spell ever and only obtained our bears legit. Many videos up for this bear run possess extremely high dps, optimal group compositions, and/or non-optimal pulls and routes. I do not claim this video to be the ultimate guide. There may be more optimal ways of kill orders. However, this is what we've found to be extremely successful. This may be useless to "pro" players. However, this was made for the average player to learn how to succeed in a realistic manner.

Again, we are not running an optimal composition. We do not use Potions and Flasks. We also are not running full 372 gear. This video is a demonstration that the ZA Bear Runs are obtainable by players with moderate gear levels.

Thank you for your time and please let me know what you think.

I hope that this guide is useful to someone.

Written Segment: This segment does not replace the video but supplements it. Please watch the video as well.

Preparation

1) Flasks, Potions, Feasts, and the Archeology buff all help.
    2) Designate a CCer
    3) Designate someone to watch out for Scouts during the trash from Bear to Dragonhawk

The Gate Unlocks

1)Have the tank run out first. These are non-elites that will rend and hamstring but won't do too much damage.
    2)Make sure to skip the initial pat. You can get lucky and rush left. However, sometimes you must wait to skip this pat.

The Gauntlet

1)Kill the caster first. He can heal.
    2)Rush through this gauntlet as quickly as possible. Some find it easy to move to the next pack as soon as the caster is dead.
    3)Pulling the big add on the stairs stops reinforcements from spawning (after one more wave). Pull him asap to stop the gauntlet from continuously spawning.

The Eagle Boss

1)Do not waste to much time replenishing mana on your healer. You can pull at 75% mana and he will reach 100% drinking as you pull.
    2)Have ranged dps kill the white birds. If you have one melee dps, it can stay on the boss. If you have two melee dps, you may want to have one assist in downing that bird if possible.
    3)If you have Heroism/Lust/Time Warp use it asap. Heroism/Lust/Time Warp will be back for Dragonhawk.
    4)Do not loot the boss just mount up

Trash (Eagle to Bear)

1)Skip that initial pat again by going through the gathering of nuetral trolls towards the center of the instance.
    2)Going near the door initiates a group of 3 trolls. Kill the 2 Axe Throwers first.
    3)Upon reaching the stairs kill the Medicine Man and his totems first. Then kill the axe thrower.
    4)Stun Riders before they reach 30% and they will not split into 2 mobs – this saves time.
    5)The last pull has an Axe Thrower and a Medicine man. CC the Axe Thrower and kill the Medicine man first. Then kill the bears. If you do not have CC kill the Axe Thrower before the bears.

The Bear Boss

1)Have a designated order for those eating the charge. You will need to eat 3 charges during his bear form.
    Trash (Bear to Dragonhawk)
    1)Kill all scouts first always
    2)Kill all Flame Casters next. If you CC a Flamecaster, his next Fireball Nova is near instant. You can avoid this by breaking the cc and then stunning him a split second later. Keep Flame Casters interrupted and disabled.

The Dragonhawk Boss

1)Option 1: Let half of the eggs spawn naturally then burn the boss so the other half come at once. This is much safer. However, it is at the sacrifice of time.
    2)Option 2: Burn the boss and let all dragonhawks come at once. This saves a ton of time. However, it can be scary and very risky. Only do this if you are extremely behind schedule and need to make up for it.

Trash (Dragonhawk to Lynx)

1)Skip the patrol and go up the stairs. Jump off the ledge towards the pack of lynx. If you stun the big lynx it will not stun you.
    2)Skip the gator patrol by going through the river. Water walking is amazing here. Once you are passed the patrol you may get back on land for travel speed's sake.
    3)There are 3 packs of stealthed lynx ahead. It is pretty safe to pull two at once.
    4)The final trash pack has 2 trolls that need to be interrupted during “Domesticate”. I personally CC one and burn the other.

The Lynx Boss

1)Take him out of Water Totem but have your party stand in it.
    2)All dps ignores adds and totems. The tank can stun the add and kill the lightning totem.
    Last edited by thxyoutoo; 2011-05-10 at 10:56 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Nice one. I can also agree that the timed run is balanced for 353 ilvl, as i've done it on my toons which are 355 ilvl and with players around that ilvl. Anything higher than that trivialises most parts. However, unlike the level 70 raid, this one doesn't give you time to recover after a full grp wipe, which is ok because you can requeue and retry it untill you get it done.

Bookmarked your vid.
    Last edited by Srg56; 2011-05-09 at 09:49 PM.
    "The best argument against democracy is a five minute scroll through twitter." - Winston Churchill

Nice video! Shared it with my guild. We've come awfully close but no cigar.

I've found that for Jan'Alai it's easier to kill both hatchers and let the boss pop all the eggs so they can be AoE'd down all in one go. This requires good AoE, of course, and a CD or two from the tank/healer, but I think it's faster. Then again, I don't have a bear so maybe I shouldn't talk.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Nice video! Shared it with my guild. We've come awfully close but no cigar.

I've found that for Jan'Alai it's easier to kill both hatchers and let the boss pop all the eggs so they can be AoE'd down all in one go. This requires good AoE, of course, and a CD or two from the tank/healer, but I think it's faster. Then again, I don't have a bear so maybe I shouldn't talk.
    Hello! Yes I have done it both ways. I personally like to do 1/2 the room normal then burn for the second half because it is safer. When we released all at once I died once, and have almost died on other attempts. I just get very scared because it is extremely difficult for healers and I like to make the encounter as easy and safe as possible. Another issue is if you run with people with computers that have FPS issues it'll drop their DPS making the burn part much harder and longer than necessary.

However, whatever works for you is great!

Wow, really nice video!
    We already got the bears on all of the people who really wanted it, but nice nonetheless.
    One thing you can do, and shave off a few seconds, is before Akil'Zon pull the next pack as soon as the Caster dies. Usually that's safe enough.
    Another trick on that part is to keep the dps moving right with you. That way when a pack comes from behind, you as tank dont have to go too far out of your way to pick them up.

Deleted
    What about the luck of the draw buff. I suppose you didn't have that one? Btw, cool video

Quote Originally Posted by Coenani View Post
    Wow, really nice video!
    We already got the bears on all of the people who really wanted it, but nice nonetheless.
    One thing you can do, and shave off a few seconds, is before Akil'Zon pull the next pack as soon as the Caster dies. Usually that's safe enough.
    Another trick on that part is to keep the dps moving right with you. That way when a pack comes from behind, you as tank dont have to go too far out of your way to pick them up.
    Thank you! I at the beginning of my runs used to do this. However, I decided to take it a bit slower and safer after awhile. For those concerned with time this is a really good option though. Good tip! I will add it to youtube captions as a small tip soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Careless91 View Post
    What about the luck of the draw buff. I suppose you didn't have that one? Btw, cool video
    Yeah this is a guild run so we didn't have luck of the draw! thanks for the comment!

Thanks for your effort guys, Its a really nice guide.

Great video, good choice of music

thank you! two steps from hell is amazing.

---------- Post added 2011-05-10 at 03:57 PM ----------

I have added written tips to the original post. Please do not only read the post. The video is extremely important to learning what these tips mean.

Wow this is awesome thank you so much...

Deleted
    Nice work .

Thank you! I've been receiving a ton of positive feedback. Keep them coming!

10+ Year Old Account
    Nice video. Shared it on my guild website. Thank you!
    Warlock (SL main)

I've attained the level 70 version of the Amani War Bear on both my Rogue which was my main back then and my Shaman, my main now and alt back then.
    I have ditched my Rogue completely and is now rotting at level 80 but I do Raid with my Shaman (9/13HC) and play most of the time on my Warrior (Tank) doing instances.

Eventhough the video was nice, I almost ripped my eyes off, watching this tank, tank...
    Seriously, don't mean any offence or disrespect but hes just odd, slow response time, really awkward bar style, with him having to switch from 2 bars, incredibly bad UI (although this is more personal preference than anything else, a good UI always help), turning his back to mobs constantly, bad use of all kinds of CD's available.

Congrats on the bears none the less!

Deleted
    Really nice video.

1 question i have about that tank addon for marking and seeing buffs/debuffs on target. how is it called?

ty

10+ Year Old Account
    Just got our tank his first bear using a couple of these tips^^. Hope to get the group the rest soon, TY.
    "Death is not kind. It's dark, black as far as you can see, and you're all alone."

Deleted
    u got 7 mins left with ppl who make only about 15k dps?? hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbliss View Post
    Eventhough the video was nice, I almost ripped my eyes off, watching this tank, tank...
    Seriously, don't mean any offence or disrespect but hes just odd, slow response time, really awkward bar style, with him having to switch from 2 bars, incredibly bad UI (although this is more personal preference than anything else, a good UI always help), turning his back to mobs constantly, bad use of all kinds of CD's available.
    I don't switch between two bars - those are macro modifiers. And I apologizes for turning my back during this gauntlet/timed event. I made errors during this video. It adds to the demonstration that this event is attainable without perfect play. Thank you for your comment, rude as it may be.

Quote Originally Posted by oxygen View Post
    Really nice video.

1 question i have about that tank addon for marking and seeing buffs/debuffs on target. how is it called?

ty
    I use the numpad to mark targets. I use Tidey Plates to see the debuffs on the target's name plates and I use Ice HUD for target unit frames. I'm not sure which of the two you were wondering about.

Quote Originally Posted by RaidEngine View Post
    u got 7 mins left with ppl who make only about 15k dps?? hmmm
    If you are referring to the top where I stated our best time so far was 7 mins, it was in a different group where we flasked and pulled more aggressively. We've found all our timed runs have been slower than our fastest just because we've been doing them more safe. No need to beat our best time. We just come in to get our bears and walk out. Thanks for the concern.

Deleted
    Awesome! Will share this to my guild aswell Thumbs up for you sir!