Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Potentio View Post
    Im fine with dot nerfs if our direct damage got buffed. which it did. Not digging the DP nerf though, it cannot be placed on more targets than one...
    That's been there since Wrath. You never noticed?
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    That's been there since Wrath. You never noticed?
    I think they are going under the assumption that it is a nerf because of multi-dotting, which we cannot do with DP but its damage was still reduced.

Quote Originally Posted by Ineras View Post
    I think they are going under the assumption that it is a nerf because of multi-dotting, which we cannot do with DP but its damage was still reduced.
    Ah, that's fair enough. I guess this is the shift onto more active damage? Not digging the nerf to Empowered Shadows as much though, we'll have to see how this all plays out through the build.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Well I hope this plays out nicely, it's a definate nerf. I'm not even considering the balance around T12 as I won't be raiding with the 4set for quite a while after release I should imagine. The DP nerf was a little uncalled for, it's already almost as weak as Curse of Agony.

Still, even with these nerfs in place our DoTs are still going to hit marginally harder than that of a Warlock excluding Doom. Question is though, is Affliction going to be a more viable raid spec than Shadow?

Nerfing the dots but buffing the instants, weird....

I do understand the DP nerf though, the instant damage you can put out while running by spamming it is a bit much.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePhan1234 View Post
    Nerfing the dots but buffing the instants, weird....

I do understand the DP nerf though, the instant damage you can put out while running by spamming it is a bit much.
    Like we have anything better to do while running...? Let me go spam holy nova instead!
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ineras View Post
    Blizzard quote? The last I heard about the hybrid tax from Blizzard was when they removed it with Wrath of the Lich King.
    You never heard that because Blizzard never made that post. They did post late wrath that the hybrid tax is real though and legitimate because pure DPS have no other way of getting into raids other than to do DPS at a high level. There'd be no point to bringing a pure DPS class over a hybrid otherwise (from a strictly hypothetical point of view).

The post was made near the end of wrath. Also the tax is not a set number (it was supposedly 5% for a long time). Just that pures should be doing more than non pures.
    Last edited by graagh; 2011-05-14 at 01:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by graagh View Post
    You never heard that because Blizzard never made that post. Just google Blizzard Hybrid tax to find a post from late Wrath where they clearly state that pures should be top DPS because they offer no other function to a raid (and if they weren't doing top DPS the incentive to bring them would be very low seeing as how they can never do anything but DPS or alternately some kiting on some encounters).
    The quote doesnt exist because I believe the forums that it was posted on was replaced with sparkle sparkle new ones. But it was their intention for pures to do more dps then hybrids. Did it work was it effective? Nope.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

I don't really care all that much how much damage we do, as long as it is reasonable. I don't like this change because multi-dotting is more challenging than single-target dps, busier, more fun IMO. I felt like that was my bread and butter. Taking away the incentive to do it... blech.

You guys seem to be overlooking class utility, buff coverage, etc completely... Whether or not a lock can outDPS a Shadow Priest, you still need locks...

While a good chunk of my damage in pvp comes from my dots, I can safely say that much more comes from my bursty abilities like Shadow Word Death / Mind Blast / Mind Flay.

I especially like the buff to SW because in PVP I'm constantly using it to keep my mana to acceptable levels.

80 Kingslayer Shadow Priest - Spirestone
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...e&n=Direshadow

I agree with you Shadowmend, it's why I decided to play a Priest in the first place; because I enjoyed multi DoTing and now they're kind of removing the need to do that. I think they've also done a similar thing to Boomkins. Warlocks are already restricted to Soul Swap CD, Shadowbite and Shadow Embrace. In all, we still have it better for multi-target in my eyes and I definately don't believe that for one second that this jeopardises Priest's raid spots in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by Robula View Post
    I agree with you Shadowmend, it's why I decided to play a Priest in the first place; because I enjoyed multi DoTing and now they're kind of removing the need to do that. I think they've also done a similar thing to Boomkins. Warlocks are already restricted to Soul Swap CD, Shadowbite and Shadow Embrace. In all, we still have it better for multi-target in my eyes and I definately don't believe that for one second that this jeopardises Priest's raid spots in any way.
    Of course it doesn't. Most Shadow Priests who play well these days are in the top 3 spots on dps. You're not suddenly going to drop to the bottom or anything. And I still say that if you know your class and constantly strive to be number 1.

Welcome to first place on the charts, as if nothing has changed.

80 Kingslayer Shadow Priest - Spirestone
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...e&n=Direshadow

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Veddartha View Post
    Yeah sure, buffing mind flay and reducing dot damage.is an insane pvp buff. Imagine you would lose 12% dot damage and gain 12% shadow bolt damage - great buff huh?
    Warlocks cast about 1/50th the amount of Shadowbolts vs the amount of Mind Blasts a priest casts.

But yeah, it's a PvP buff if you're not focused. That combined with the mind flay not clipping bugfix, that's pretty huge. Of course if you get focused, your dps will go down. Who doesn't focus spriests? Meh, yeah, we usually go on mages with shatter/shattree, but every other comp it's that spriest.

http://raidbots.com/dpsbot/

The top performing class with arguably the best raid utility definitely doesn't deserve a slight nerf... amirite?

Hybrid this fucking ass.

Why should i do less dps the a 3keyer mage or 2keys hunters? Seriously, no fucking sense.

Blizz doesn't want multi dotting? then restirct all dots to just one target and boost our single target capabilities.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hovercat View Post
    i don't see a reason why we needed the nerfs >.<
    World of Logs > 25 Heroic Content. Should put an end to your doubt.

I almost wonder if it's due to the legendary proc. You wouldn't want the legendary to proc off of sw or a mindflay, but if it duplicated one of your dots WEEEEeeeeee. That's my conspiracy theory anyways, lower the top three damage spells and buff the lowest three. I don't like it. It shows they're not doing ANY math since each spell is a flat 12%, that's just picking a damned random number. They need to start putting explanations behind the numbers they choose to prove they have any competence in them at all. Also we're not the top on every fight, yah we're 3rd or 4th place at lowest but that's due to SA's and no one can see them anyways. How many times do you get 1st and everyone else sees you at 3rd. Okay, okay, the damage is still done and that's all that matters, so what no one believes you because you're the only one in your guild that knows your class. But if it didn't matter why do people CARE if one class is always on top. So... it does matter. So HAH.

*Grumbles* It's like they don't want us waiting on orbs for MB to chain super powered orbs, playing with the mastery procs was SO much fun. God I loved it... I loved the different levels of min maxing our spells... I don't want to mindlessly hit MB on cd, focus on one target because putting my dots up on boss #2 is a waste of DPS... *HUFFS* Meh, I know I just have to wait for the numbers to come out but it's not going to be a fun wait. x_x

15+ Year Old Account
    Shadow priests beat affli at multidotting, and shadow is the super easy of the two. Just wasnt right. About time SP got hit, will still be op tho so dont worry.

Deleted
    Now if only they reduced the mana costs of those DoTs a little. Especially DP is too fucking expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by X3non View Post
    World of Logs > 25 Heroic Content. Should put an end to your doubt.
    As of 11:50 EsT 05/13/11:

For BWD 25 roic there is 1 shadow priest that ranked a top 10 spot, and that was number 6 on Nef.
    For BoT 25 roic no shadow priests ranked in the top 10 on any fight except Valiona & Theralion, there were 3