Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    And why the hell should people not be able to buy inefficient light bulbs?
    What if they aren't inefficient after all, or their efficiency is not the sole reason for purchase?
    why the hell cant i buy a hummer 4 times the size of a new york style brownstone that shoots the oil it guzzles and gets 7 feet to the gallon? There are reasons people make laws to buy more efficient and energy saving items, it is to save the thing you spent your entire life on so it will not go away in your child or your child's child's lifetime
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    OMG EVERYONE IS BANNED.

The OP didn't read his own article. It discusses four different kinds of lightbulbs:

1) Old-style incandescents. They are inefficient and most of the electricity they use is turned into waste heat instead of light.
    2) New-style incandescents. Same idea, less waste.
    3) CFLs. These are efficient and affordable. They contain small amounts of mercury, like most fluorescent bulbs.
    4) LEDs. The article mentions that some of the newest types with the highest power can cost as much as $50 but that the price is expected to drop rapidly. Phillips is already offering one for $22.

Only #1 is subject to the ban in California. Buyers have several affordable alternatives, including less-wasteful incandescents. Fearful luddites like the OP can still buy candles, too.

The only problem with this is that the effect of the new light bulbs on human health is not properly tested. Too much blue light and things like this.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    The only problem with this is that the effect of the new light bulbs on human health is not properly tested. Too much blue light and things like this.
    Sunlight causes cancer, let's see what you've got you crappy little light bulbs!

15+ Year Old Account
    I know CFL's don't work very well (or at all) outdoors. Especially in the cold. How do LED lights hold up in the elements?

Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    And why the hell should people not be able to buy inefficient light bulbs?
    What if they aren't inefficient after all, or their efficiency is not the sole reason for purchase?
    removing the wrong answer for stupid people.
    nothing more.
    theres little difference between them other then efficancy.

so if your going to end up wasting electricity you SHOULD end up paying more.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Salarius View Post
    Dude it's not poisonus unless you crunch it up and eat with your cereal. Stop inflating the problem.
    The EPA recommends you leave the area where the CFL broke for 15 minutes until the dust settles. You then have to put on gloves and a respirator to sweep the broken contents into a glass jar and take it to an approved disposal site.

You might want to read up on CFL's there chief.

As far as light bulbs go I dont want to spend $30 for a 2 pack of CFL's (walmart) when i can get a 4 pack of regular bulbs for $3.50.

I know how to turn a lamp off.

---------- Post added 2011-05-18 at 12:53 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by maldias View Post
    removing the wrong answer for stupid people.
    nothing more.
    theres little difference between them other then efficancy.

so if your going to end up wasting electricity you SHOULD end up paying more.
    Hey there genius. Guess what. You do use more electricity when you use Incandescents, which you pay for in your bill.

You just dont spend more for the electricity than you over pay for the newer more expensive energy saving bulbs. Your appliances use more electricity than a light bulb ever will.
    Be Nice to America or we will bring Democracy to your country.

Quote Originally Posted by GodlyBob View Post
    Sunlight causes cancer, let's see what you've got you crappy little light bulbs!
    The CFLs have phenol in them, and phenol causes cancer in mouses.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2011-05-18 at 01:10 AM.

The EPA recommends you leave the area where the CFL broke for 15 minutes until the dust settles. You then have to put on gloves and a respirator to sweep the broken contents into a glass jar and take it to an approved disposal site.
    Citation required.

As far as light bulbs go I dont want to spend $30 for a 2 pack of CFL's (walmart) when i can get a 4 pack of regular bulbs for $3.50.
    CFLs last much longer and use less energy. The overall cost is going to be lower.

I can't help but feel that 'The Government' should've been noted as the 'U.S. Government'.

It bothers me that some people don't appear to think globally on a daily basis.

Not the governments place to ban products like this. Word of mouth and time would have ruined the market on the incandescents anyway.
    And for all the blithering apologists: Most CFL's end up crushed in landfills where their mercury seeps into the ground. Fun that.
    Of course thats why they're setting up special recycling centers in stores that 99% of the population never uses.
    Individuals are not simple. They cannot be defined for easy reference in the manner of:The elves are a lithe, pointy-eared people who excel at poverty.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Citation required.

http://www.epa.gov/cfl/cflcleanup.html

CFLs last much longer and use less energy. The overall cost is going to be lower.
    The cost of the cfl is over what you save in electricity vs an incandescent bulb which doesnt have to be hazmat disposed.

You know they exaggerate instructions just to cover their asses right? Everyone does this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Damn hippies, outlawing incandescents. I would rather use more electricity and pay more a month then to pay less and have a light bulb that creates a EMF. I don't like having the feeling that someone is watching me.
    All Hail Galvatron!

10+ Year Old Account
    Incandescent is 1900s. Get over it.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

You know they exaggerate instructions just to cover their asses right? Everyone does this.
    Don't ask for citation and then flame him for providing it, that just makes you a troll.
    no u missunderstood, I lied. -despairsodelicious

15+ Year Old Account
    Go drop a CFL bulb on the White house driveway. See what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by HopOnPop View Post
    Don't ask for citation and then flame him for providing it, that just makes you a troll.
    Thats not flaming. Flaming would be if I called him an asshole.

Go drop a CFL bulb on the White house driveway. See what happens.
    wat.

Easy bake ovens run on incandescent bulbs as a heat source for cooking.

Use flourescent (sp?) and get more natural light while saving money on AC and electric bills.

Its a Win-Win-Win
    Druid Paladin Priest Warlock Death Knight Hunter Mage Shaman Warrior Rogue Legendary Epic Superior Uncommon Common Poor
    Quote Originally Posted by Bytes View Post
    2016: Blizzard builds their new HQ on the moon

So your saying to stock up on incandescent bulbs instead of paying for the $50 led version that emits just as much light and lasts an estimated 25-50k hours compared to the incandescent 1-2k. Not to mention the old bulbs will burn more electricity costing you more money over their lifetime than the LED alternatives.

LED lighting needs to hurry up, then I only need to change my nans light bulbs once before she dies.