Quote Originally Posted by gotpriest View Post
    No, there isn't, but it was one thing that bugged me about GW1, so one can hope! I mean, it's not game breaking, but it's the kind of consideration you want developers to take into mind, that they're not just making a game, but a world that people can sink into.
    Well from the looks of the art direction and videos it really looks like they are going for immense immersion. Plus instanced housing is pretty cool. PC Gamer got some hands on time and said they really thought it was a huge step in the right direction when it comes to immersive new age mmo experience.

---------- Post added 2011-05-18 at 04:31 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    So how about flint guns that you don't need ammo for and shoots 2 bullets per second?

Also the only show you could possibly watch on television would be 24 I mean how can they just jump in time from one frame to the next....
    A wizard does it

Deleted
    I think people take immersion too seriously. It's a fantasy game not real life, things don't need to make sense.

The world is full of magical energy, why can't we have some kind of ring that binds to areas around the world, that allows us to teleport there by saying the name into the ring?

Above is my conecpt of the map travel. Since we have to discover the waypoints first. It is logical for the people that like immersion

In wow I can grip a rock really really tightly until green light circles around my hands and I teleport to a city where a random no name innkeeper (and only the inkeeper) has the power to make me return there.

LOGICAL IS LOGICAL

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I agree with Pyre, you guys are taking it too seriously, if you question one thing then you can question the whole game. It is a fantasy video game and a lot of the choices the developers make are to make the gaming experience better. If they had to give a reason for why everything is that way in the game than it would take up a lot more resources and time.
    Last edited by Relente; 2011-05-18 at 04:47 PM.

So how about flint guns that you don't need ammo for and shoots 2 bullets per second?

Also the only show you could possibly watch on television would be 24 I mean how can they just jump in time from one frame to the next....
    Again, your opinion is yours, being angry at it or using hyperbole to attempt at proving it wrong doesn't really help, as it's just an opinion.

You'll be the guy with an RP oriented name who doesn't mind Map travel, while I'll be the little Asura named RumpleForeskin who does mind it.

Different is different.

And when that name gets reported, I'll probably change to Darth Hideous or SitsWithAFullHouse

So your immersion isn't ruined by having a retarded name?

I get that we all have different preferences, but you obsessing over a feature that definitely is in the game is kinda pointless (map travel).
    And you're obsessing over names in a fake world!

No, he's pointing out the . . . strangeness . . . of you finding map travel breaks immersion but a silly name doesn't. He can point that out without in any way saying anything about his personal taste in names.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevoman View Post
    I love these changes. Maybe it's because I've always valued utility and teamwork over my personal meter whoring, but the ability to pop Heart and step in for a dead healer/tank for 45s to save the day is Druidism at its finest IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDragon
    Technically dragon eating human is not cannibalism. It is misfortunate inconvinience.

What I don't like is just opening the map "I WANNA BE THAR" stuff. That doesn't do it for me, just reeks of lazy.
    Like my post said. If you don't like it. Don't use it. simple as that. and your immersion is sustained.

I however do want the feature to "I WANNA BE THAR" because i for one hate traveling from place to place. I play a game for fun. traveling and wasting 10 minutes of time where i could be killing stuff is instead spent pressing my auto run key and making sure i don't run into a tree so i can get to where i can actually kill stuff. It's just plain annoying to me.

Quote Originally Posted by nalvaudi View Post
    Like my post said. If you don't like it. Don't use it. simple as that. and your immersion is sustained.

I however do want the feature to "I WANNA BE THAR" because i for one hate traveling from place to place. I play a game for fun. traveling and wasting 10 minutes of time where i could be killing stuff is instead spent pressing my auto run key and making sure i don't run into a tree so i can get to where i can actually kill stuff. It's just plain annoying to me.

No no, it's not that I mind teleportation, it's just I'd like some kind of a shrine or mage doing the stuff. Aion, WoW, AoC, or Hellgate:London style travel (Excluding Dungeon Finder)
    Last edited by gotpriest; 2011-05-18 at 06:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    No no, it's not that I mind teleportation, it's just I'd like some kind of a shrine or mage doing the stuff. Aion, WoW, AoC, or Hellgate:London style travel (Excluding Dungeon Finder)
    What difference does it make? Why is:
    "I know this awesome guy who'll teleport me anywhere I want to go for 5 silver!"
    Inherently better than:
    "I've been given a magic map, now I can teleport to any place a click on!(I hope there aren't any large rocks or trees around that I could possibly get stuck in or a large chasm of some kind!)"

If the system works like Oblivion, then you'll have to discover the teleport location on foot the first time.

Using a "magic map" means they won't have to set up an an otherwise pointless "flight master" at every town. Who stands around all day next to a couple smelly birds anyway? There are plenty of things that break immersion, such as NPCs who literally stand around doing nothing until you talk to them.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Deleted
    Is the way I explained it not enough for you?

10+ Year Old Account
    while I'll be the little Asura named RumpleForeskin who does mind it.
    RAGE! Please don't!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    If the system works like Oblivion, then you'll have to discover the teleport location on foot the first time.
    It will work exactly like Oblivion, aside from the calculating how much ingame time has passed because in a MMO, that would just be silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

I hear the next profession is being released this month, heres to hoping its the gunner so I can make my Mami character. D:

Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    I hear the next profession is being released this month, heres to hoping its the gunner so I can make my Mami character. D:
    Yup, next proffesion reveal is confirmed this month, and there have been hints at tomorrow being the day of the reveal!

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    What difference does it make? Why is:
    "I know this awesome guy who'll teleport me anywhere I want to go for 5 silver!"
    Inherently better than:
    "I've been given a magic map, now I can teleport to any place a click on!(I hope there aren't any large rocks or trees around that I could possibly get stuck in or a large chasm of some kind!)"

Using a "magic map" means they won't have to set up an an otherwise pointless "flight master" at every town. Who stands around all day next to a couple smelly birds anyway? There are plenty of things that break immersion, such as NPCs who literally stand around doing nothing until you talk to them.
    If it makes you feel any better, I'd be satisfied with an early game quest to obtain said "Magic Map." Or a ring of teleportation, or any of those. I'm just not a fan of blithe in game assumptions about gameplay. I feel the same way about introducing skills. I felt that WoW was terrible at introducing skills, while GW1 (Pre-Searing) was great. You "bought" skills, and couldn't have everything at once, forced to make legitimate choices, and very early on, you sometimes had to go to specific people to teach you to do things, and do quests related to earning that skill.

For me, the hearthstone, the portal, or a stated magic map is enough immersion to accept teleportation, but that's just me.

I think the "magic lore" behind the map travel is $$$. Cos it's gonna cost ya

Edit: Only ingame $$$ though. But they've mentioned that it's a nice way to drain the economy a bit.
    Last edited by Tristan Khan; 2011-05-18 at 06:41 PM.

The other profession is probably Mesmer, I'm kind of hoping thats not what they're releasing this month. Something tells me it is. :<

10+ Year Old Account
    You "bought" skills, and couldn't have everything at once, forced to make legitimate choices, and very early on, you sometimes had to go to specific people to teach you to do things, and do quests related to earning that skill.
    In the Prophecies campaign there were quests to unlock skills, albeit they were mostly ignored in my experience.

Factions you could get a lot of "free" skills by earning your Professions "Insignia." It was sort of like a series of quests that taught you how your class was able to deal with certain situations at an early level. This involves removing conditions, interruption, enchantment (buff) removal, snaring, skill chaining and others.

Nightfall... I don't think NF had very many quests that taught you skills.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter