Page 1 of 12
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Why do people drink alcoholic beverages?

People always ask me "Why don't you drink? Everybody does, it's cool". Blah blah blah and all that.

Well, you want to know why I don't want to ingest a metabolic toxin that inhibits brain functions?

Lets examine my reason.

When I was a child, from 6-13, I was a very, very angry and violent child, I would snap at the smallest thing, and would "resolve" it "using my fists". But when I was 13, These other kids were making fun of me for something, and we were on a playground set, and I pushed a kid off the top. He ended up breaking a femur, both ankles, and his elbow.

At this point, i'm looking down at his broken frame, seething with anger, and then suddenly a voice in my head says "What have you done??".

I suddenly got intensely scared, and started bawling my eyes out as the teacher came up to the scene. I got suspended from school for a 2 weeks. During this time, and a year after the fact, I had been analyzing what happened, and figured out that I needed to control my emotions better, so I did.

1 year later and many hours of meditating, I was a new person, completely passive, never succumbing to my emotions.

Now, if you have forgotten the point i'm trying to make, alcohol inhibits brain functions, and all that hard work I did over that year could be undone, even if only temporarily, and I might turn violent again, and now at 19, i'm a fairly big person, and I could so some real damage to someone.

Having all that i've become taken away by drinking a poisonous substance doesn't exactly appeal to me, but thanks for asking.
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

15+ Year Old Account
    I agree drinking is stupid in general, people only do it cause they are either too scared to have fun on their own or desperately want to forget about something painful.
    For the Worgen! Furries of WoW unite!

Quote Originally Posted by Tayfow View Post
    What's the point of playing an easy game? When did this huge subset of people come to video games, wanting not a challenge, but some kind of interactive facebook type thing with spells?

15+ Year Old Account
    If you have no self-control, you shouldn't drink. It's really that simple. Getting a little bit of a buzz isn't going to turn you into a belligerent idiot, it will just lower your inhibitions a little bit and loosen you up. The key is knowing when enough is enough.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../enders/simple
    Quote Originally Posted by Luuth View Post
    I think the easiest way to make people happy would be to nerf the target dummy.

Quote Originally Posted by Zethras View Post
    People always ask me "Why don't you drink? Everybody does, it's cool". Blah blah blah and all that.

Well, you want to know why I don't want to ingest a metabolic toxin that inhibits brain functions?

Lets examine my reason.

When I was a child, from 6-13, I was a very, very angry and violent child, I would snap at the smallest thing, and would "resolve" it "using my fists". But when I was 13, These other kids were making fun of me for something, and we were on a playground set, and I pushed a kid off the top. He ended up breaking a femur, both ankles, and his elbow.

At this point, i'm looking down at his broken frame, seething with anger, and then suddenly a voice in my head says "What have you done??".

I suddenly got intensely scared, and started bawling my eyes out as the teacher came up to the scene. I got suspended from school for a 2 weeks. During this time, and a year after the fact, I had been analyzing what happened, and figured out that I needed to control my emotions better, so I did.

1 year later and many hours of meditating, I was a new person, completely passive, never succumbing to my emotions.

Now, if you have forgotten the point i'm trying to make, alcohol inhibits brain functions, and all that hard work I did over that year could be undone, even if only temporarily, and I might turn violent again, and now at 19, i'm a fairly big person, and I could so some real damage to someone.

Having all that i've become taken away by drinking a poisonous substance doesn't exactly appeal to me, but thanks for asking.
    i dont get the point of this post.
    if you are fine with not drinking alcohol why bother telling us about it? are you really that desperate for attention that this was your only option?
    and people drink alcohol for the same reason they take drugs or watch tv or have sex or read books or get fat or whatever - because life is short and precious and each of us should enjoy it to the full in whatever way we want. if you dont like or understand how someone else gets their pleasure thats completely fine. but there is no reason to go around making up high and mighty internet posts with the aim of lording it over the rest of us, when in reality all this post did is make you look like a first class douche.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because there are people out there who can drink "metabolic toxins that inhibit brain functions" and not turn into a raging psychopath that probably should have gone to therapy after breaking a kid's ankles and spent his youth venting his rage with violence?

Not everyone is you, and you are not everyone. Cool story, though.

We all have our reasons to drink and not to drink. Yours sounds completely valid and I respect that.

For me, I've always felt it actually relaxes me, rather then give me the urge to do something violent. Not saying I've never gotten angry while intoxicated (I've most definitely nerd raged a few times in WoW while under the influence) but that wasn't the alcohol's fault, it was my own.

I've had some of the best times after having a few drinks at parties, concerts, out camping or enjoying the outdoors in general. I do however know when to stop and that it's always good to let your body rest and heal before drinking again. I can't say the same for others however.

Alcohol is certainly not for everyone, you should definitely not drink.
    Although if i may give some advice. Never judge people who do, or get on a pedestal or think you re better than them.
    It will work out better for you in the future.
    Realize that drinking is a social action. I used to think that everyone who drank was an idiot. Then i grew up.

I do not condone drinking, again, not everyone should drink. But in a social situation, dont be that guy, grab a beer, no one says you have to drink it. Alcohol tastes like shiznit anyway.

But again, YOU should not drink, by any means.

Being a non-drinker myself, I couldn't tell you. I'm sure people have a good reason for destroying their innards, though.
    Actually, Mr. Lennon, I CAN imagine a world with no hatred, religion, war, or violence.
    I can also imagine attacking such a world, because they would never see it coming.

http://mhkeehn.tripod.com/trashcan.jpg
    http://politicalhumor.about.com/libr...s/carville.jpe

For once, Carville was a man ahead of his time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 312guiltyspark View Post
    i dont get the point of this post.
    if you are fine with not drinking alcohol why bother telling us about it? are you really that desperate for attention that this was your only option?
    and people drink alcohol for the same reason they take drugs or watch tv or have sex or read books or get fat or whatever - because life is short and precious and each of us should enjoy it to the full in whatever way we want. if you dont like or understand how someone else gets their pleasure thats completely fine. but there is no reason to go around making up high and mighty internet posts with the aim of lording it over the rest of us, when in reality all this post did is make you look like a first class douche.
    The point of my post is why would somebody purposely ingest a toxin to have their brain functions inhibited?

Same deal with smoking or taking some other type of drug.
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

Alcohol, in moderation, is a nice way to help relax and help unwind after the week. Note the moderation part. Alot of people really have no clue what moderation really means. Drinking a 6-pack after work every day is not moderation, that's borderline alcoholic, whether or not you get drunk or not from it.

Personally, I rarely drink alcohol anymore. When I do, it's on a purely social basis, and I'll just usually stick to a good ol' Captain and Coke, and I just sip on it over the course of 15-20 minutes, wait about 10 minutes then usually have another. After about 3-4 hours of being with friends, I've only had 6-8 drinks while having food, so all I get is a buzz at best.

I actually got all my stupid, getting trashed drinking before I was 21. It's pretty easy when you're in the Marines and living in the barracks. But once I turned 21, I just had no interest in getting trashed. I hate hangovers, I hate the headaches, I hate not knowing what I did (or WHO I did) last night.

Being alive sucks, alcohol makes it tolerable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Negridoom
    No. After the Cataclysm there will be an expansion for the zerg, and then an expansion for the protoss.

I drink with my friends because it makes things that really shouldn't be funny down right hilarious.
    Getting drunk and watching absolutely awful movies is somewhat of a weekly tradition for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Zethras View Post
    The point of my post is why would somebody purposely ingest a toxin to have their brain functions inhibited?

Same deal with smoking or taking some other type of drug.
    for fun? enjoyment? relaxation? and for the reasons i gave above. just because you cant handle the stuff doesnt mean others shouldnt. if someones idea of a good night out is going out and having one or two beers with their friends that doesnt make them any less human than you.
    and fyi it has been scientifically proven that alcohol is healthy for the body in small amounts - like 1 glass of red wine a day is perfectly beneficial to your body. dont get me wrong, i dont like alcohol that much, but i will drink if im in the mood to be tipsy or drunk, which isnt often.
    all i can say is limiting yourself by labelling something right or wrong is no way to live.

Even though I grew up a whole family that drinks regularly (not drunkards but still) I never once wanted to drink. On my 21st I went to a wine party and had probably 4-6 glasses, and I found myself loosing balance; classic sign of being sloshed :P

I never want to feel that way again. I dont want to loose control of myself and end up somewhere I dont want to be.
    Zhenji 90 Mistweaver
    Eonar US

I drink once a month, in the privacy of my own home. And I'll usually get so hammered I'll have a massive hangover the next day. My fiance is the only one to see it, and he's just as bad. The hangover is bad enough to get it out of my system for a while, until I get the urge again.

When we go out, I will sometimes get a margarita, just because I love them. 2 shots of Tequila does nothing for me.

They're insecure and think alcohol will help them get over it, they want to forget, they're doing it because all the "cool" kids are, etc.

I don't really drink because I don't like the taste and I consider it a waste of money. Same reason I don't smoke. I'm not totally against drinking alcohol but it's very rare that I touch a drop.... Last time was about 2 years ago and that was only 3 pints.

People drink for the same reason they take any other type of drug. Fun. It can ease your inhibitions and give you a bit of a buzz.

15+ Year Old Account
    think think drinking is not bad,just as you drink in moderation,their is a good south park episode about it.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

quite frankly if you are going to deny yourself from trying new things, ignoring your emotions and urges, and condemning things you do not understand you are better of never being born.

(to all you mods who hate me read this again im not telling him to commit suicide and no infractions so no ban ! hah)

Quote Originally Posted by 312guiltyspark View Post
    quite frankly if you are going to deny yourself from trying new things, ignoring your emotions and urges, and condemning things you do not understand you are better of never being born.
    "If you don't drink, you shouldn't have been born"

Yea, sounds logical to me.

Not everyone has any sort of "urge" to drink. Some of us are actually able to resist peer pressure, ye know.
    Actually, Mr. Lennon, I CAN imagine a world with no hatred, religion, war, or violence.
    I can also imagine attacking such a world, because they would never see it coming.

http://mhkeehn.tripod.com/trashcan.jpg
    http://politicalhumor.about.com/libr...s/carville.jpe

For once, Carville was a man ahead of his time.