Arcane Mage Stat Priority

So recently I rerolled a mage (for the 4.2 legendary ) and I'm planning on going arcane MS frost OS (for pvp) I was just wondering what the stat priority is for arcane because i've looked around a lot and seen some people say int>hit to 17%>mastery>crit>haste but then I've seen others saying haste is better than crit and even a couple haste is better than mastery, so I was just wondering if anyone could confirm what the actual stat priority is and if mastery starts going down in value after a certain amount along with crit and haste.

Int is always 1st. Then its generally mastery>haste>crit. As always, your best bet is to check rawr for your character specifically. Haste and Mastery are quite higher than crit in value. Be wary of those you tell you Master of Elements is a good reason to have a lot of crit. The mana return from it is marginal at best

Edit: Forgot about hit. More than likely you will not be hit capped, it's ok. A good guideline to loosely follow is always gem for int, and reforge to hit.
    Last edited by eskimoman; 2011-05-24 at 03:35 AM.

for gems blue id say gem int/hit yellow int/mastery red int chants go for int and master where posable
    stat wise hit cap other then that int wich is on all gear mastery>crit>haste you are going to get haste from tier gear and with your main spell costing 2 sec hase is not a stat to reforge into basicly

without geming chanting reforging into haste as a mater of fact out of haste my arc blast is 1.6 sec cast
    glyph wise i use {prime} mage armor, arc blast ,arc missle {major} evoc ,poly , blink

Deleted
    ^this

My eyes. It hurts.

To answer to OP, you first need to hit the hit cap, by reforging mainly your haste, since hit to cap>mastery>crit>haste, unlike eskimoman said. And no, mastery is not > haste.

This is mainly due to the fact that at high end gear, your AB will drop at >1 sec cast time during blood/hero phase.

Plus, regarding gemming, most of the time it's worth gemmin 20 int + 20 stat when the bonus is an int bonus, especially on robes and legs.

You should use rawr to plan your reforging and gearing. But most of the time, better ilvl means better dps.

You only time you should EVER gem something other than +40 int is when the bonus is +20 int. Even a +10 int bonus is a dps loss.
    But yeah the general priority list is Int>Hit~Mastery~haste>crit. Prioritising hit to 17% is more personal preference than actual dps gain.
    Personally i hate getting 'misses' so i gear for 17%, my theoretical dps is slightly lower than if i was at 1-2% less hit and had more mastery however.

Quote Originally Posted by Shendow View Post
    To answer to OP, you first need to hit the hit cap, by reforging mainly your haste, since hit to cap>mastery>crit>haste
    And no, mastery is not > haste.
    Do i even need to say anything?

Quote Originally Posted by winterfrost View Post

for gems blue id say gem int/hit yellow int/mastery red int chants go for int and master where posable
    stat wise hit cap other then that int wich is on all gear mastery>crit>haste you are going to get haste from tier gear and with your main spell costing 2 sec hase is not a stat to reforge into basicly

without geming chanting reforging into haste as a mater of fact out of haste my arc blast is 1.6 sec cast
    glyph wise i use {prime} mage armor, arc blast ,arc missle {major} evoc ,poly , blink
    Why would you do a thing like this? It burns.

Deleted
    From my latest simcraft. Mightnot fit perfectly for you, but you get the idea.

Int 4.5107
    Hit 2.7772
    Mastery 1.1124
    Haste 1.0984
    Crit 1.0495
    Spell Power 2.3892

15+ Year Old Account
    I used RAWR to rework my gear, and it favored haste over other stats, generally. I am at about 357-ish, still a couple of blues in there. I stay at hit cap; the last thing I want to do is miss a 4th AB with everything popped.

That said, I am very unhappy with my DPS, even on fights where I can work my rotation for a while, but to be fair, I have been very casual this expansion because of work, and I haven't studied every fight to every detail.

It "feels" like I should drop a little haste for mastery, but I figured I'd wait for some more upgrades before doing any wholesale changes.
    Last edited by taishar68; 2011-05-24 at 08:15 AM. Reason: typo :/

And just for a reference on how it can change with your gear mine goes:

Int 4.58
    Hit 2.89
    SP 2.64
    Mastery 1.48
    Crit 1.25
    Haste 1.22

Always a good idea to use these tools on your specific character instead of googling up some values.

Deleted
    I'm a bit confused about this as well. Haven't been able to use rawr lately cause of the new changes to armoury (using the rawr3 not the addon) and Simulationcraft. And Simcraft tells me different stat prios every time I regem and reforge according to what it tells me. Today for example I got this:

Int: 3,3568
    Hit: 1,8247
    Haste: 0,8856
    Critt: 0,6456
    Mastery: 0,4863

[Edit: only 100 iterations, only self buffed and no BL]

Does this mean I got too much mastery on my gear?

Feel free to have a look and comment on gear/gems/regorge: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...lhaze/advanced

Not raiding anything yet, just doing casual runs of za/zg and the random hc:s.
    Last edited by mmoc7116eda3f9; 2011-05-24 at 08:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by eskimoman View Post
    Do i even need to say anything?
    First post is worst post.

Maybe he meant "mastery is not < haste"

Int>Hit>Mastery. Reforge any haste/crit to mastery. As of haste vs. crit, it doesn't matter you dont worry about those stats.

Deleted
    Maybe he meant "mastery is not < haste"
    Yup, that's what I meant, sorry. I was referring to the OP saying that he heard haste was better than mastery.

IMHO, haste is not greater than crit, for the reason I gave, which is that AB falls under 1 secs cast under hero, and I'd rather reforge haster over crit whenever I can.

I will add that with 4.2 legendary, if you are lucky to have it, you will preferably duplicate a crit AB, which means you'll need crit over haste.
    Last edited by mmoc313eb5ec09; 2011-05-24 at 11:13 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Astralvibe View Post
    I'm a bit confused about this as well. Haven't been able to use rawr lately cause of the new changes to armoury (using the rawr3 not the addon) and Simulationcraft. And Simcraft tells me different stat prios every time I regem and reforge according to what it tells me. Today for example I got this:

Int: 3,3568
    Hit: 1,8247
    Haste: 0,8856
    Critt: 0,6456
    Mastery: 0,4863

[Edit: only 100 iterations, only self buffed and no BL]

Does this mean I got too much mastery on my gear?

Feel free to have a look and comment on gear/gems/regorge: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...lhaze/advanced

Not raiding anything yet, just doing casual runs of za/zg and the random hc:s.
    I can't get my Rawr/Simcraft to function appropriately either.

Looking at your armory you have some faulty sockets; switch every socket to 40 int unless the socket bonus is +20 int. 50 hit on bracers is probably a wiser choice as well. Other than that you could do better with some gear upgrades

Deleted
    It's acceptable to have 16-17% hit, atleast in tier 11. Stats will go up further in the expansion so hit will be easier to come by. but for now it's a pain. I'd love to do more fun with my reforging but sad to say I don't think there is anything I haven't reforged to hit if it wasn't already there and I'm only at 16,3-16,6% hit (depending on what gear I switch between). It really does hurt to miss a 4-stacked AB with all procs active and near 100% mana but in the long run it's worth to choose int over hit when gemming.

My mage on Simcraft:
    359 ilvl; 6434 Spell Power; Haste 13.76%; Crit 17.13%; Mastery 12.13% - On armory, without buff
    25k interations; HelterSkelter style; buffs (my 10m raid buff, no DI, no FM, no Spell Power)
    Haste 0.9964
    Crit 0.7879
    Mastery 0.6933

Deleted
    I'll make it simple.

Int>hit to 17%>mastery>crit>haste.

Try stacking haste and u will realise that u go oom even if u are best at watching mana. Crit fir damage and mana returns. Mastery u should already on by now. Gem pure int all, but the ones u need for GOOD bonuses go orange. That it's int/mast. U get so much mastery from gear u don't need to worry about it.

Not going to sugar coat it for u. All there plain and simple.

IMHO, haste is not greater than crit, for the reason I gave, which is that AB falls under 1 secs cast under hero, and I'd rather reforge haster over crit whenever I can.

I will add that with 4.2 legendary, if you are lucky to have it, you will preferably duplicate a crit AB, which means you'll need crit over haste.
    My point was that the majority of the time 1 haste is better than 1 crit, throw your toon onto rawr as it obviously may change. I wasn't saying to stack haste either because that would just be dumb.

Thats an interesting thought about the legendary proc duplicating a crit, I would hold off until there is some actual testing with it (haven't looked is there already?) before speculating how it will affect stat values.

And back to the op: I would recommend having a PVE fire spec as well, if you look at what tops guilds are saying multi dotting specs are going to shine early firelands so my assumption is that fire will be very powerful again and that the 4.1 buffs to arcane may simply be to keep it from falling far behind. Who knows..